BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Rear quarter panel plastic film – tell me why I shouldn’t remove it

04-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #23
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
hmm thought I posted here yesterday but obviously not - apologies if it turns up somewhere else. So here we go again.

I am in the same boat, AW and the film on the rear guard is starting to yellow with the leading edge black. I clean and polish etc but still visible just like the other pics here. When new I elected to leave the car standard with no extra protection. Logic was it is a DD winter and summer and with other cars I have protected (front bumper, half hood and rear guards) I inevitable get a chip somewhere not protected anyway. Very frustrating. So thinking it needed to be all the car or nothing I elected nothing on the basis that if the front got badly chipped I could always just repaint the bumper or the affected panel and that might be cheaper than film on the whole car anyway...

However that rear panel seems to get the a lot of dirt, dust, etc - after a wet drive it is the dirtiest panel on the whole car. So maybe I am changing my mind now and will get a good quality film over the whole panel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #24
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M+M View Post
hmm thought I posted here yesterday but obviously not - apologies if it turns up somewhere else. So here we go again.

I am in the same boat, AW and the film on the rear guard is starting to yellow with the leading edge black. I clean and polish etc but still visible just like the other pics here. When new I elected to leave the car standard with no extra protection. Logic was it is a DD winter and summer and with other cars I have protected (front bumper, half hood and rear guards) I inevitable get a chip somewhere not protected anyway. Very frustrating. So thinking it needed to be all the car or nothing I elected nothing on the basis that if the front got badly chipped I could always just repaint the bumper or the affected panel and that might be cheaper than film on the whole car anyway...

However that rear panel seems to get the a lot of dirt, dust, etc - after a wet drive it is the dirtiest panel on the whole car. So maybe I am changing my mind now and will get a good quality film over the whole panel.
Ditto on all that for my AW and I've reached the same conclusion. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've never been a fan of film anywhere on my car, but I want to keep this car a long time and try to keep it looking as good as possible. Believe it or not, I haven't yet seen a car (any car, not just an M2) with this Xpel stuff on it. Other posts claim it is almost impossible to see and doesn't yellow. I am going to check it out.
      04-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #25
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
Ditto on all that for my AW and I've reached the same conclusion. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've never been a fan of film anywhere on my car, but I want to keep this car a long time and try to keep it looking as good as possible. Believe it or not, I haven't yet seen a car (any car, not just an M2) with this Xpel stuff on it. Other posts claim it is almost impossible to see and doesn't yellow. I am going to check it out.
great keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #26
littleoldman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: incoming M2 - sold 335D Sport
Location: 1988 M3, 2006 330 Conv (ZCP), 2008 535Xi, 2011 335D Sport

Quote:
All of you above, thanks so much for the advice. I was convinced I should remove the factory film - but that was only half the answer. I'm now convinced that I should (and will) remove it, but replace it with XPEL (there is a reputable installer near me in CT). If I'm still unhappy with that, I can always remove it later. In the meantime, while I'm not obsessive about avoiding every possible mark on the paint, this does seem like a reasonable thing to do given the design of that rear quarter panel.

This is what I love about this forum... folks are generous with their time and care about helping others solve problems.
This guy uses Expel and comes to your garage.
House calls only.
He wrapped two of my cars in 2012.
+1 (203) 496-2784

I found him listed on the 3M clearbra website...but now he uses expel (which I believe is made by 3M but marketed differently). I could be wrong.

He likes cash so use that to leverage your price. My entire full front was quoted at $1500. I'll do it once the car is delivered.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2017, 07:47 PM   #27
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

203 area code... Connecticut, my back yard. Thanks for the info.
      04-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #28
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

I always have nasty reminders of why it's there after each weekend , mostly wipes off. I don't mind the flaws that come along with this film, adds character to the car
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #29
GoSlow2GoFast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

Quote:
I’m so fed up with that plastic film on the rear quarter panel that I’m ready to remove it. My M2 is white and I’ve had it for six months. The plastic film is beginning to yellow (just a little, but it is definitely not clear) and no matter what I try (simple washing, polish / wax) I cannot get the leading edge clean. It always looks black, not dramatically so, but there it is… a thin line of black along the leading edge of the film. Paint breathes, but it can’t underneath that damn plastic. That can’t be good for the paint long term?

I never drive on gravel roads. I do drive the car in winter. Will I really end up with stone chips if I remove it? Can anyone convince me that it should stay on the car? What are the pros and cons? Has anyone removed it and can report how much damage results?
FWIW, even though I had the nose of the car Xpel'ed when new, I left the factory protection on the rear areas for about 6 months and noticed a few small marks in the paint just outside of the area covered. My M2 is a "daily driver" but didn't see much action over the winter. I didn't like the somewhat orange peel look of the factory film anyway after seeing how much better the Xpel looked up front, so I brought it back in to shop that did the original film and they easily removed the factory film and replaced it with Xpel increasing the covered area. More protection and better looking.

My point just being I think this is an area on the M2 that will take some abuse and over time may get some chips or marks from impact of small stones etc, so I decided not to take a chance on not protecting it.

~gs2gf
      04-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #30
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow2GoFast View Post
FWIW, even though I had the nose of the car Xpel'ed when new, I left the factory protection on the rear areas for about 6 months and noticed a few small marks in the paint just outside of the area covered. My M2 is a "daily driver" but didn't see much action over the winter. I didn't like the somewhat orange peel look of the factory film anyway after seeing how much better the Xpel looked up front, so I brought it back in to shop that did the original film and they easily removed the factory film and replaced it with Xpel increasing the covered area. More protection and better looking.

My point just being I think this is an area on the M2 that will take some abuse and over time may get some chips or marks from impact of small stones etc, so I decided not to take a chance on not protecting it.

~gs2gf
I just washed my car yesterday. My car is xpel'd in many areas, and more relevant to this conversation, on the rear quarters (factory film replaced and extended up higher) and I noticed a bunch of "white spots" where rocks or debris may have hit it, so it's definitely doing it's job. I thought the car was still dirty at first, but in actuality were marks from where rocks kicked up. This area definitely gets beat up and I would recommend having this area protected.

I'd like to add that my M2 is not my DD and I only have 4300 miles on my car (2016), so as a DD, I could imagine more abuse in those areas.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #31
thevanillagorilla
Rep
Drives: 2016 TRD Pro, 2012 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBaby View Post
I removed them and then my car exploded the next day on my way to work.
That feature can now be turned off in the newest version of iDrive. Sorry that happened to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #32
zmo
Private
Peru
Rep
Drives: ///M2 MG M-DCT (MY2017)

Damn, didn't knew that it was a film and just assumed the car was like that. The dealer didn't told me either and they did some liquid glass coating paint protection to the car before delivery, as instructed. So, how can I remove those goddamn panels, I hate them so much. Would it screw up the paint/coating mix if I try it?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #33
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I took mine of the F82 in month 3 and couldn't see any extra wear really. It annoyed me more that the polish gathered on edge of it leaving a white looking line that everyone asked if it was a scratch! ) )
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #34
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow2GoFast View Post

~gs2gf

Mind if I ask what it cost you just to replace the rear quarter panels with Xpel? I'm going to do the same this summer, but have no idea what that costs.
      04-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #35
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman View Post
This guy uses Expel and comes to your garage.
House calls only.
He wrapped two of my cars in 2012.
+1 (203) 496-2784

I found him listed on the 3M clearbra website...but now he uses expel (which I believe is made by 3M but marketed differently). I could be wrong.

He likes cash so use that to leverage your price. My entire full front was quoted at $1500. I'll do it once the car is delivered.
How much for wrapping the entire car?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #36
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

I like the //M stripes.
      04-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #37
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
All of you above, thanks so much for the advice. I was convinced I should remove the factory film - but that was only half the answer. I'm now convinced that I should (and will) remove it, but replace it with XPEL (there is a reputable installer near me in CT). If I'm still unhappy with that, I can always remove it later. In the meantime, while I'm not obsessive about avoiding every possible mark on the paint, this does seem like a reasonable thing to do given the design of that rear quarter panel.

This is what I love about this forum... folks are generous with their time and care about helping others solve problems.
Quote:
...there is a reputable installer near me in CT...
Where in CT? Or maybe I'm ok since I'm LBB?
Attached Images

04-24-2017, 09:28 PM   #38
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I took mine off the F82 in month 3 and couldn't see any extra wear really. It annoyed me more that the polish gathered on edge of it leaving a white looking line that everyone asked if it was a scratch! ) )
LOL true statement! I was with my GF at the dealer week ago and there was a MG M2 there. When we walked up, first words she said were "Damn, look at the big scratch on the side!" I started laughing and pointed out it was the protective film on the side.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      04-25-2017, 06:00 AM   #39
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
I like the //M stripes.
thx. Took a while to figure out what to do and get if mocked up digitally. The bottom panel is quite a complex shape and everything else I tried didn't look right. Once finalised it was printed to the measured width then hand trimmed when applied.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #40
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
I just washed my car yesterday. My car is xpel'd in many areas, and more relevant to this conversation, on the rear quarters (factory film replaced and extended up higher) and I noticed a bunch of "white spots" where rocks or debris may have hit it, so it's definitely doing it's job. I thought the car was still dirty at first, but in actuality were marks from where rocks kicked up. This area definitely gets beat up and I would recommend having this area protected.

I'd like to add that my M2 is not my DD and I only have 4300 miles on my car (2016), so as a DD, I could imagine more abuse in those areas.
Same here! 2,000 miles on the car and it got its first hand wash last weekend (its been raining non-stop in Seattle since about October ). I couldnt figure out why I could not get those rear quarters clean and then I realized it's the Xpel that's getting beat up and dinged. I'll likely be looking at having the stuff swapped out. I really like the clarity of it on the nose of the car but I think it's not tough enough for the quarters. Might go back to the 3M brand for the quarters as it's a bit thicker and I believe, tougher, than the Xpel.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #41
swoosh_SE
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 (6MT AW)

I'm about to take delivery of an AW and will xpel the front and mirrors for sure. Also, I intend to replace the film in front of the rear wheels that come standard to a bigger piece.

My (OCD) problem is I would like to get rid of as many visible xpel edges as possible. However, without wrapping the entire car (too expensive where I live), I'm not sure what the best solution would be.

1. I intend to put a piece bigger than the factory one here and also extend it compared to the factory one, so it disappears in the door opening. But what about vertically? Should I do it all the way up to the window?

2. The rocker panels seems to take a beating, correct? Might as well do the entire thing? Or just the bit close to the rear wheel?

3. A tricky one. Would you extend it all the way to the green line (sorry for the poor editing), so I can hide the xpel edges in the body panel edges?

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #42
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

Is that stock height?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #43
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh_SE View Post
I'm about to take delivery of an AW and will xpel the front and mirrors for sure. Also, I intend to replace the film in front of the rear wheels that come standard to a bigger piece.

My (OCD) problem is I would like to get rid of as many visible xpel edges as possible. However, without wrapping the entire car (too expensive where I live), I'm not sure what the best solution would be.

1. I intend to put a piece bigger than the factory one here and also extend it compared to the factory one, so it disappears in the door opening. But what about vertically? Should I do it all the way up to the window?

2. The rocker panels seems to take a beating, correct? Might as well do the entire thing? Or just the bit close to the rear wheel?

3. A tricky one. Would you extend it all the way to the green line (sorry for the poor editing), so I can hide the xpel edges in the body panel edges?

Okay so what I had done was this because it follows the geometry of the car and that hides the seam in a lot of lighting conditions and and angles. The reflection you see and the way that it bulges here just hides the seam most of the time. Sometimes I do see it and it pisses me off but then I remember that I would see the old factory one and it's seam would piss me off too, but at least now I have better protection and it's hidden from many angles.

I didn't do the lower rockers only because #1 I had a bunch of miles already on the car so they had some stone chip damage anyway and #2 I personally don't notice the damage on them when I am looking at the car because they get dirty fast so just kind of blends in, and they are low and the angles face the ground. If yours are still looking new might as well get PPF on them to protect them.

Last edited by akkando; 04-27-2017 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #44
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
distracted by the yellow brembo calipers and rotors. But I like Akkando's solution.
Appreciate 0