BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > First time on track with M2

03-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

First time on track with M2

This car is a lot of fun, and is really easy to control on track. I ran last weekend at Summit Point (main), with all the nannies off. It slides very predictably, and I loved that it had little to no understeer. I also got to instruct in another M2. He did great! I always enjoy instructing in the same model car. Takes one variable out of the equation. I will say that my car isn't stock. I have Ohlins with Vorshlag plates, and the Tirerack square setup with RE71r. Of course, brake setup too, so lines, PFC08 pads, and SRF fluid.

I ran the first day with the Ohlins intentionally set soft, like 13 clicks off full stiff. I'm not running with the normal Ohlins spring rates. I'm running 448F / 782R. It felt okay on this setting, but I got some significant tail wagging under hard braking. I'm pretty used to this having come from FWD cars, including one race car, but I wasn't expecting it in this car. So the next day, I moved it to 8 clicks off full. Totally stable under braking with that change. Still enough movement to ride curbs without upsetting the car.

One note on something that I hate. TPMS. Seriously, the 26 PSI cutoff is a total pain when it's cold. The second day was 50F, and if I let the tires cool all the way down, they would fall under 26 PSI, but I wanted to hit 35 PSI hot. The front left wanted to rise about 10 PSI, so this was a pain to manage. I'm going to see if I can code that out next time. Otherwise, if it falls under 26 PSI, the car locks into comfort mode.

Here's a few laps, including my best lap of the event.
Appreciate 2
BAN_M2C4154.50
      03-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
f87chas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

According to some members on this forum if you start the TPMS reset the car will stay in what ever mode you set till you shut the car off. Hopefully this is a work around the default to comfort. I have no actual knowledge with this as I have not received my M2 yet. Let every one know if you find this to be true? What are your impressions of the PCF08 pads?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87chas View Post
According to some members on this forum if you start the TPMS reset the car will stay in what ever mode you set till you shut the car off. Hopefully this is a work around the default to comfort. I have no actual knowledge with this as I have not received my M2 yet. Let every one know if you find this to be true? What are your impressions of the PCF08 pads?
Once it is stuck under 26 PSI, resetting doesn't help. You can't leave comfort mode until TPMS is happy. Apparently this is a '17 "feature".
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

We have a MY16 and I had the same issue when taking it to the track for the first time. I had to pull off track after the outlap, and restart the car to get DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post
We have a MY16 and I had the same issue when taking it to the track for the first time. I had to pull off track after the outlap, and restart the car to get DSC off.
Super annoying! Foiled by the lawyers

I was going to poke around in BimmerCode to see if different RDC or RDC safety values fix this.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Did you order the M235i F22 Vorshlag plates? Did they drop right in without any issues? How much negative camber are you running? Did you notice better turn in (stock is good already IMO) or did you just get the plates for better tire wear?

BTW that nylon jacket is probably not the best idea, if you catch fire (tiny chance) all that plastic will melt all over you.

Also, C5 corvette and Audi TT signaling a pass with turn signal, WTF?

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 03-31-2017 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Did you order the M235i F22 Vorshlag plates? Did they drop right in without any issues? How much negative camber are you running? Did you notice better turn in (stock is good already IMO) or did you just get the plates for better tire wear?

BTW that nylon jacket is probably not the best idea, if you catch fire (tiny chance) all that plastic will melt all over you.

Also, C5 corvette and Audi TT signaling a pass with turn signal, WTF?
Yes, I got the F22 plates, which fit, with a caveat. I would suggest getting a longer spring. The stack height on the Vorshlag is short, and it's difficult to preload the spring. I have the bottom perch all the way up on the threads. If I ever change the front rates from 448 lb/in, I'll use a longer spring.

I wouldn't really say the turn in is any better. I did this primarily to save on the tire wear.

re: jacket, yep, I understand the risk. Technically you should wear all natural fiber clothes, or proper flame resistant. It turned out to be kinda miserable out the second day, so I left my jacket on.

re: signaling. The local Audi club is trying to get folks to adopt European style passing signals. I don't like it. It isn't that it's a bad idea, but more than I've been doing this nearly 20 years, so I'm used to hand signals, and also my biggest issue is consistency. No other clubs around here use European style signals, where you signal the direction your car is staying, not the direction you want someone to pass. It is opposite from hand signals, and is super confusing at first.

That said, I did try it a few times, and it's nice to be able to leave your hands on the wheel. I doubt I will ever be an advocate of this style, but I'm not going to argue it during the event, and I'll respect the club's decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 01:09 PM   #8
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Some pics.

I spit all the front wheel weights off due to heat, as usual. However, something different happened. There is little clearance with the 18" wheels. One of the weights got stuck on the caliper and carved a nice little line in the finish of the barrel. Oops.

The other shows where I marked the rear wheels and tires. You can see how much the tire spun on the wheel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 10:25 PM   #9
iceboss23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Where did you get your suspension parts/work done?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 06:14 AM   #10
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceboss23 View Post
Where did you get your suspension parts/work done?
My friend's shop. CoHo Auto in Manassas. They're good guys. Have known them for over 15 years from tracking.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #11
f87chas
Private First Class
Rep

Please let us know if you find out anything in regards to coding and the TPMS warning? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #12
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87chas View Post
Please let us know if you find out anything in regards to coding and the TPMS warning? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
So, after a dozen track days , including cold weather and track wheels I have the answers. On stock wheels with TPMS I had to run one or two warm up laps, pit and hit reset.....once you start the reset process ( only takes a second to start) you can speed back out on track in any mode....while on track it will take the system a lap to reset and you should be good as long as you put a little heat in the tires. I switched to the 18 square wheels without TPMS sensors and the system hunts for them for a while until it get tired then tells you it's a problem, however in this situation it allows you to run in any mode including MDM or DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #13
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Nice video and track time!

The best I could manage was 1:29s on my first outing and my PSS's. Working on getting more track time, being smoother, turning off DSC, and then stickier tires.

Will probably bump into you out there this summer.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #14
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Nice video and track time!

The best I could manage was 1:29s on my first outing and my PSS's. Working on getting more track time, being smoother, turning off DSC, and then stickier tires.

Will probably bump into you out there this summer.
I don't even know how many laps I have turned on SP main. I've been driving it for 17 years! I still prefer VIR, but SP sure is close. Not sure when I will be out next. I'll be at VIR in the fall for sure. Probably with Trackdaze, because I absolutely love running the Grand course. Maybe 4 days back to back if I have the endurance and I sweet talk my wife into letting me go play for that long.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #15
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Nice video, and info! I knew I should have stopped in Summit when I drove by that day.

In regards to parking the car - what are you doing after you come in. Given you cannot put the car in Park without shutting the engine off, I only see using something external to keep the car from rolling.
      04-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #16
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I used flat ground or a quick off/on with the ignition. To your point, tho, I should find something to block the tire to keep the car from rolling.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #17
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isjoey View Post
Nice video, and info! I knew I should have stopped in Summit when I drove by that day.

In regards to parking the car - what are you doing after you come in. Given you cannot put the car in Park without shutting the engine off, I only see using something external to keep the car from rolling.
Stuff it in gear, turn it off, pop hood if it's hot out. That's what I've been doing for a very long time now.

No need to idle it for a long time. I just roll it around a lap in the paddock at very low speed. The car will leave the radiator fan on as needed. Also the turbo should have some natural convection cooling it with the oil or coolant system. Not sure on this car, but all modern factory turbos have a similar design.
Appreciate 1
M2joey299.50
      04-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #18
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
re: signaling. The local Audi club is trying to get folks to adopt European style passing signals. I don't like it. It isn't that it's a bad idea, but more than I've been doing this nearly 20 years, so I'm used to hand signals, and also my biggest issue is consistency. No other clubs around here use European style signals, where you signal the direction your car is staying, not the direction you want someone to pass. It is opposite from hand signals, and is super confusing at first.
Wait....the Audi club has track days? I thought they all just get together to cut each other's hair and drink cappuccinos?

I agree the Euro passing signals are strange. Took me a while to get used to it when I did ED and ran on the Ring and Spa.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:26 PM   #19
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

How much clearance do you have in the rear with the 18x9.5 +33 offset wheel with what I assume is the 275 RE71R? Does the tire stick out any past the fender in the rear or front (I assume with a spacer for net +23 offset).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:18 PM   #20
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
How much clearance do you have in the rear with the 18x9.5 +33 offset wheel with what I assume is the 275 RE71R? Does the tire stick out any past the fender in the rear or front (I assume with a spacer for net +23 offset).
Not sure how much clearance there is. I didn't really measure since I knew this setup works with265. Maybe I'll bump up to 275 on the next set. That'll require a small flat spacer up front, but I think the back can go to 275 without a problem, probably without a spacer.

I'm already back on my stock wheels, so I can't check this for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #21
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
Not sure how much clearance there is. I didn't really measure since I knew this setup works with265. Maybe I'll bump up to 275 on the next set. That'll require a small flat spacer up front, but I think the back can go to 275 without a problem, probably without a spacer.

I'm already back on my stock wheels, so I can't check this for you.
No worries I wasn't planning to run 265, either 275 or 285 square. I'm running an aggressive offset though +25 on a 18x10.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #22
srswans
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Manual BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
So, after a dozen track days , including cold weather and track wheels I have the answers. On stock wheels with TPMS I had to run one or two warm up laps, pit and hit reset.....once you start the reset process ( only takes a second to start) you can speed back out on track in any mode....while on track it will take the system a lap to reset and you should be good as long as you put a little heat in the tires. I switched to the 18 square wheels without TPMS sensors and the system hunts for them for a while until it get tired then tells you it's a problem, however in this situation it allows you to run in any mode including MDM or DSC off.
I ran into this as well. If I start with pressure below 30 lbs, the TPMS will freak out and keep the car in Comfort mode.

Does anyone know if the TPMS thresholds can be coded to a different value - say 20 lbs or so?

(BMW got this backwards - the TPMS thresholds should be disabled in Sport+.)
Appreciate 0