BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Maintenance before winter storage

11-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
ParlorBoss
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - MG DCT

Maintenance before winter storage

The only time I have had my vehicle in for service was after the 1200 break-in period. I am planning on storing my vehicle for the winter around December 1, so I made an appt. for this week to have the car serviced again (I'm at 7,500 miles). I'm not due for any specific service but I thought it made sense to get the car looked at before I put it away for a few months. The service center just called me and basically told me that there is nothing to do since I am not due for any service. Am I OK going without any service before I store the car? (Storage will just be a non-heated garage and I may still drive on nice days this winter.)

The only minor issues I have had are the tire pressure on my rear passenger tire (which I unfortunately had to replace after like 2 weeks because I got a flat; I have just filled it back up when low and it has been fine for a few weeks at a time but it seems like could be a slow leak?) and an intermittent message that pops up about automatic high beams not functioning correctly (I have never noticed any actual issue).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

It's probably better to change the oil after storage. All the particles will sediment in the oil tank and will pass via the filter. A new oil/filter change will be better in the spring and you will use the oil (oil has a life limit as it oxides).

Hope it helps!
      11-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
ParlorBoss
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - MG DCT

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

You'll be fine changing the oil in the spring. If it's going to be sitting awhile, throw some Startron in a full tank of gas and over inflate you tires. If the rear tire is leaking air, have your tire shop remount it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 12:16 AM   #5
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

With conventional oils the recommendation for storage was always to change the oil before because byproducts of combustion would bind to the oil which could lead to damage. One of the advantages of synthetic oils are that those particles don't bind to synthetic so I don't think its as much of a concern as back in the old days.
Appreciate 0