BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > M2 going into limb mode twice on Autobahn

10-16-2016, 02:48 AM   #1
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
M2 going into limb mode twice on Autobahn

Two days ago I drove on the German Autobahn and the car dropped into limb mode twice... I did not know what it was the problem other than a drive train failure mentioned by the on-board computer.

I can tell it is not the most pleasant feeling doing 240+ kmh and having your car go into limb mode, but OK. After the second limb mode message I decided to get the oil level measured since I thought that would be an easy fix.

I measured the oil and it was low. Problem found! It is weird that the car does not measure the oil level itself and gives me a warning. In my previous cars I got a message when it was low, the M2 did not do this annoyingly. I will not measure it often to see how the oil is doing.

On oil front I wanted to double check what to put in the car, but nor the manual in the car, the book or the app shared the exact details on what to put in. There were no viscosity numbers! Why only mention the BMW oil brand type and name of the product, and why not just mention the viscosity numbers that you can put? Previous cars mentioned that, why not here...

In the end I went to a local dealer 10 minutes from my stop at the petrol to double check the oil type and even though they had a M2 in the parking lot they could not find out what oil was required. After some minutes calling and searching we found it!

Oil level is now back to normal and no limb modes so far! Let's see what how it runs later today. I am now at 26,700 KM so it is low just before the 30K km service which is coming up.

MR
Attached Images

Last edited by MR.; 10-16-2016 at 02:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 03:04 AM   #2
vugz10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BB6 Prelude, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.
Two days ago I drove on the German Autobahn and the car dropped into limb mode twice... I did not know what it was the problem other than a drive train failure mentioned by the on-board computer.

I can tell it is not the most pleasant feeling doing 240+ kmh and having your car go into limb mode, but OK. After the second limb mode message I decided to get the oil level measured since I thought that would be an easy fix.

I measured the oil and it was low. Problem found! It is weird that the car does not measure the oil level itself and gives me a warning. In my previous cars I got a message when it was low, the M2 did not do this annoyingly. I will not measure it often to see how the oil is doing.

On oil front I wanted to double check what to put in the car, but nor the manual in the car, the book or the app shared the exact details on what to put in. There were no viscosity numbers! Why only mention the BMW oil brand type and name of the product, and why not just mention the viscosity numbers that you can put? Previous cars mentioned that, why not here...

In the end I went to a local dealer 10 minutes from my stop at the petrol to double check the oil type and even though they had a M2 in the parking lot they could not find out what oil was required. After some minutes calling and searching we found it!

Oil level is now back to normal and no limb modes so far! Let's see what how it runs later today. I am now at 26,700 KM so it is low just before the 30K km service which is coming up.

MR
Please share the type of oil required just in case this happens to others
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 03:12 AM   #3
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugz10 View Post
Please share the type of oil required just in case this happens to others
Depends per car as far as I know... I need to double check but I think it was 5W30.

MR
Appreciate 2
vugz1044.00
BAN_M2C4154.50
      10-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

Cheap bastards. They should put it 0w40 for all M models.

If you wish to keep the car after bmw warranty switch to 0w40 asap.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
voinea
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2 (MG) 6MT

Yellowflash21 0w40 from BMW ? (I'm new to BMW world)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

Read your car manual, it's approved.

Also, bmw have BMW branded oil 0w40 M power oil.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...ord=motorenoel

Regard, @MR. drivetrain issue. I think that his oil reached little bit high temperature + he had 1 litter oil less over maximum, that's why I think that could trigger the limp mode, as he drove over 240+ in 7 gear in 5-6k rpm range.

If he had bit ticker and more quality oil then shitty 5w30 this problem wouldn't appear.

But yeah, as I already mentioned. If he doesn't want to keep the car longer than 2-3 years use the shitty approved ones that they put in everything.

Last edited by Yellowflash21; 10-16-2016 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Smoking Tire Guy Agrees

I have read several places and the Latest on the Smoking Tire Review of the M2 stating that the car is prone to overheating and going into limp mode.
As far as oil goes the lighter oil does run cooler but a Grp V oil like Redline 5W-30 which is on the thick side almost a 40wt is know for handing high heat. The ester base oil is one of the best. The key is the Grp V oil -- just handles the heat better.

Last edited by 123Britt; 01-08-2017 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2016, 03:26 AM   #8
Jamie Vandenbalck
Belgian racing driver
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

I also had this warning twice in my M2 when I was doing 260kph. My car has only 12,000 km and my oil was already refilled. So I can tell you it has nothing to do with the oil. My dealer looked at it and they said they did an engine 'update' and now everything should be fine..

Also it has nothing to do with overheating, I looked at it and the oil temp was just on point.
      10-27-2016, 04:32 AM   #9
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Listen Mr, you need to calm down...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
NachoM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Alpine White

I also got the CEL light ON few weeks ago. My car has now 20K Kms on the clock and totally stock. Oil level is perfect.
Took the car to the official dealer and they re programmed the car, and seems to be finde since then.
Funny but the DKG logs changed and in normal mode, it changes gears at lower revs than before if you driving slow.
      04-27-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Finally I am back with a report on this matter! Sorry it took so long, but we made a slight mistake in deleting the failure codes from the computer before going to the dealer...

This meant that I had to go back on the autobahn to do the runs again, but only when the weather was decent enough to floor it on summer tires. I now finally did it on Tuesday!

I can confirm that I had the issue again! Go back to 5th gear and floor it! The car jumped into limb mode on the first run I did touching 210 kmh. I did it many times again and the problem did not occur again. It is so freaking random that it feels like you are on the edge of the sensor reading, and sometimes it happens and sometimes it does not.

Yesterday, the M2 went into service and I had my dealer look at it! Surprise this morning the big news came! The dealer connected BMW M and they suggested a software upgrade. They installed PUMA 62732575-01, but I am not 100% sure what this upgrade did. Also I have feeling they did this upgrade to fix something else, because the work order is far from clear. The car did not really run smoothly at start up, so I asked them to look at that as well. They dumped all in one section of the work order and then wrote next to it, we did a PUMA upgrade. I am like "Uh yes but for which problem was this... One of them or both?".

I am investigating it now and I will come back when I know more. I think they only looked at one thing and that is it. Is there anyone who can find out what this PUMA upgrade does?

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #12
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
OK more information today!

As discussed above, over the past days I managed to get the error again. The outcome was the same issue as I reported before and the dealer installed a new PUMA upgrade (62732575).

The dealer responded to me that this upgrade allows the car to be reprogrammed and is able to adjust its parameters to the new set up fitted to the car. This is what they said:

“There is also a factor of „adaptation values“. After programming, the values have to be re-learned for each specific engine regime. Might be, the symptom will not reoccur.”

The next step is now testing and seeing if the problem reoccurs in the car. I need to drive back to Germany to test it. Not sure when I have the time for this, but might be back in Germany with the car at the end of this month. As soon as I know more I will keep you guys posted.

MR
Appreciate 1
DrKevM52262.00
      04-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Crazy. Good luck and keep us posted.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 06:59 AM   #14
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

This is valuable information. I've been trying to figure out why my car would consistently go into limp mode near the end of my track sessions. I theorized temperatures but maybe it's a known software glitch?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 08:07 PM   #15
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

damn this is not good news. was hoping the m2 would handle the rigors of track use. m235i-r then?
      04-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #16
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
This is valuable information. I've been trying to figure out why my car would consistently go into limp mode near the end of my track sessions. I theorized temperatures but maybe it's a known software glitch?
Only way to find out is why it goes in limb mode. Just make sure to connect a computer and check the messages. It tells you a lot!

Never delete them! Always keep them in the system because the dealer needs to see them to be able to do a fix or upgrade.

MR
Appreciate 1
DrKevM52262.00
      04-30-2017, 10:50 PM   #17
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

If you guys think changing oil viscosity is going to save you from what is clearly boost/temperature related limp mode, then we have bigger problems. This car really should not be going into limp mode on the highway, irrespective of 5w30 0w40 10w60 whatever.

Heat is my suspicion given that horrific intercooler design. Still, since we are talking highway driving, something is happening in software. Bad IC temp sensor maybe.
      05-01-2017, 07:46 AM   #18
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I am not sure if this will help....but at Sebring my car went limp twice until I figured out that it was a fuel issue. It seems that at 1/4 left on fuel gauge the pick up in the tank has issues with lateral travel. Now I just head in to fill the tank once it drops below half on track and no problems.
Appreciate 4
DrKevM52262.00
ddk632583.00
LBBDrew336.00
rich8566608.50
      05-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #19
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
I am not sure if this will help....but at Sebring my car went limp twice until I figured out that it was a fuel issue. It seems that at 1/4 left on fuel gauge the pick up in the tank has issues with lateral travel. Now I just head in to fill the tank once it drops below half on track and no problems.
I've heard others having this same issue. And actually ran into this Youtube vid, where the comments also echo what you wrote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS92Y910Hgw&t=310s
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #20
mjsaville
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LLB - Arrived 4th Mar 2017

This thread is interesting, and the fuel pickup issue is weird. I'll be keeping an eye out...

MJ
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #21
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

I have seen a few other mentions of M2's going into limp mode, does anyone know if this has only been MY16 cars or has it also affected MY17?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #22
Daniel121
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
I've heard others having this same issue. And actually ran into this Youtube vid, where the comments also echo what you wrote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS92Y910Hgw&t=310s
Hey, that is my car. As somebody says it was a fuel issue due to hight consuption on a trackday. But the computer on board says i have enought fuel to do 10km.
It was very strange, the car have a lot of vibration when lip mode enter but lukly I put more fuel and all seems to be like before.
Appreciate 0