BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Comparison video of M2 ASD (active sound) on/off

06-14-2016, 09:54 PM   #23
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Strange, I have the opposite reaction or maybe its the frequency.

I never noticed ASD. Until I added a 2400 w amp with a 12" sub...i had to run my bass restoration processors remote to the driver seat so i had the ability to turn off the sub...

In comfort mode its very mild, very easy to silence. In sport even with the sub turned all the way down its obnoxious...

What I meant by "opposite reaction" is its extremely loud at low RPM's, by 3-4k the ASD seems to go away and the real engine noise takes over...

One possible explaination is that as rpms raise the frequency of the ASD goes from low to high so the amp/sub has little to no effect...

But I tried to code out ASD and couldn't find any code, then a much more experienced coder took a crack and said he was only able to lower the volume which had a negligable effect...

Could you do a DIY or at least post the data you modified t eliminate ASD???

And when I get my car back tomm, or thursday (currenty being used by Enzo Performance for R&D so he can offer a proper ECU calibrations for the M2) which, off topic, he is having incredible results so far and I cant wait to share these results....But I will post a video that shows ASD amplified by 2400watts LOL.

but again, please post a how to on coding out ASD??I was told it could not be done.
      06-14-2016, 11:50 PM   #24
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

hilarious! You could take children out even a cyclist. Surly the track is for this type of driving.
      06-15-2016, 03:05 AM   #25
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3Power
Strange, I have the opposite reaction or maybe its the frequency.

I never noticed ASD. Until I added a 2400 w amp with a 12" sub...i had to run my bass restoration processors remote to the driver seat so i had the ability to turn off the sub...

In comfort mode its very mild, very easy to silence. In sport even with the sub turned all the way down its obnoxious...

What I meant by "opposite reaction" is its extremely loud at low RPM's, by 3-4k the ASD seems to go away and the real engine noise takes over...

One possible explaination is that as rpms raise the frequency of the ASD goes from low to high so the amp/sub has little to no effect...

But I tried to code out ASD and couldn't find any code, then a much more experienced coder took a crack and said he was only able to lower the volume which had a negligable effect...

Could you do a DIY or at least post the data you modified t eliminate ASD???

And when I get my car back tomm, or thursday (currenty being used by Enzo Performance for R&D so he can offer a proper ECU calibrations for the M2) which, off topic, he is having incredible results so far and I cant wait to share these results....But I will post a video that shows ASD amplified by 2400watts LOL.

but again, please post a how to on coding out ASD??I was told it could not be done.
Talk to any coder in your area. It can be removed. With aftermarket exhaust it's a must.
      06-15-2016, 03:25 AM   #26
Ingenio
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Grey E92 M3 (6MT)

Turn that shit off! It's a car not a recording studio on wheels!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 04:57 AM   #27
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
With a helmet on and windows down on track, I miss the active sound. I find myself looking for a gear display to see where the car is at from time to time because the engine noise doesn't give any indication of rpm. I do agree it's too much around town though. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #28
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Definitely sounds better without the ASD.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 07:14 AM   #29
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Free revving is a problem though that only ASD can solve on these motors. Rev matching just sounds like shit.
Excuse my ignorance but can you elaborate/explain this?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #30
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan View Post
Talk to any coder in your area. It can be removed. With aftermarket exhaust it's a must.
I Have a buddy with an M3 that codes F series....He just needs the code that needs modifiction?

I have the ethernet to USB cable but my laptop doesnt have ethernet port so i used e-sys w usb 3.0 to ethernet adapter and the USB "bottlenecks" the info transfer and is incredibly slow...

But I appreciate this post greatly...Could I please have the PSZdata file that needs modification bc none of it is clear about elimating ASD and Ive extensively searched to no avail.????
      06-15-2016, 08:04 AM   #31
parrnan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT with the great MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
I coded out ASD today and took a before and after video. Not helped that it was raining and car still be run-in so wasn't maxing it.

Inside, it is a lot quieter without ASD overlaying that artificial tone. You can hear induction, turbo and exhaust as you go through the rev range - and it sounds good, natural even!

When you put ASD back on, it does sound really artificial and kicks in above 3k revs, yet its surprising how quickly you get used to it again.

The GoPro sound isn't great, think i need to get an open case or external mic. May even try again with my iPhone again tomorrow. You can still hear the difference with ASD above 3/4 revs...

I think i will be leaving ASD off, especially as the stock exhaust is so good, and can now be heard inside.i
Nice video and thanks for sharing.

Honestly the one with ASD off is way too quiet for me, adding the MPE and driving it in track mode would be an option, but I don't think the cops will appreciate... Here in Quebec, cars and motorcycles have to be very quiet otherwise we get tickets for non conform mufflers and we have to replace it ASAP.

Where can we buy the bypass cable to switch off the ASD ?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #32
Godchild14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup73
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pup73 View Post
Thanks for posting. I'm going to wait til my exhaust is finished, then I'll decide whether to code it out or not.

-c
Cheers - what are your plans for the exhaust?
I'm waiting for FabSpeed to finish fabricating my muffler bypass...

This is my car....

FABSPEED MOTORSPORT | M2 Exhaust Suite Unleashed http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1270926

-c
Sound Great Bro. But where are you from bro the roads were empty the highway were empty and you were taking it easy
      06-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #33
123sub
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: E46M3

Walking before driving with ASD.
Appreciate 3
      06-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #34
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
With a helmet on and windows down on track, I miss the active sound. I find myself looking for a gear display to see where the car is at from time to time because the engine noise doesn't give any indication of rpm. I do agree it's too much around town though. Thanks for sharing.
Precisely why I'm going to bite the bullet and add Exec Pack to the F80. It's an expensive bullet though
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #35
Skwinglos
Private
Rep
Drives: MG M2; HD 2500

Thanks for giving us those comparison videos.
Might code ASD off for DD use...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #36
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Excuse my ignorance but can you elaborate/explain this?
Just heel toe in any NA M car, then heel toe in a turbo M car. And the results are evident. Need ASD to solve the sound shortcomings.
      06-19-2016, 05:36 AM   #37
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
I agree, ASD has its uses.

Rememeber most owners wont be going to the track tho.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 08:10 AM   #38
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

ASD actually makes the engine sound much louder than it does in reality - even with all windows down. This is misleading feedback. BMW is putting the driver in an artificial position, as if playing a simulation or a video game.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #39
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy.
Thanks for posting, quite a noticeable difference, i may just pull the fuse to hear the difference myself ( i know i'll lose the stereo as well but it will just be a short term experiment) and then look into getting the bypass cable.
So do we know which fuse it is?
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #40
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Thanks for those positive comments. Have done a 300 mile tour through the Welsh mountains this weekend with my boys in the back. When gently cruising, I do think you loose something without ASD, it's a bit quiet.

But when you do wind it up, still prefer the natural sound. Of course, if you open the windows you dont care? A key plus of this car is you can gently accelerate though in 1st/2nd and the exuast in sport mode is so loud and wails like a banshee .. Awesome as you don't need to drive too quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3Power View Post
I Have a buddy with an M3 that codes F series....He just needs the code that needs modifiction?

I have the ethernet to USB cable but my laptop doesnt have ethernet port so i used e-sys w usb 3.0 to ethernet adapter and the USB "bottlenecks" the info transfer and is incredibly slow...

But I appreciate this post greatly...Could I please have the PSZdata file that needs modification bc none of it is clear about elimating ASD and Ive extensively searched to no avail.????
Coding - it's the ASD Module, set the Model Range" to F020/F021 = ASD completely off.
Default for the M2 is shown here:
      07-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #41
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Thanks for those positive comments. Have done a 300 mile tour through the Welsh mountains this weekend with my boys in the back. When gently cruising, I do think you loose something without ASD, it's a bit quiet.

But when you do wind it up, still prefer the natural sound. Of course, if you open the windows you dont care? A key plus of this car is you can gently accelerate though in 1st/2nd and the exuast in sport mode is so loud and wails like a banshee .. Awesome as you don't need to drive too quickly!

Coding - it's the ASD Module, set the Model Range" to F020/F021 = ASD completely off.
Default for the M2 is shown here:
Bump. Is this coding something a dealership can do too? Or who/what company?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #42
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Bump. Is this coding something a dealership can do too? Or who/what company?

Cheers
Robin
Robin, nope... not that I am aware off and they would not be too happy if you asked. I touched this subject before with my 135i.

I was wondering if there is someone in the Netherlands who could do it. My brother had some address of a guy who might be able to do it in Wijchen.

Are there any people in Europe who could potentially do this? Not gonna have my car shipped to the US to have this done

MR
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #43
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

or the UK guys

i think there is a way we can remote onto your PC, which is connected to the car...
      07-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #44
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Ok I understand, anyway, some guys in BeNeLux/Germany perhaps?
That would be my max to drive to when getting things done.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0