BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > June 2016 BMW M2 lease rates - residual and money factor

05-04-2016, 05:22 PM   #23
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Well there go by hopes of leasing a M2. Maybe the numbers will look better at the end of the year.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #24
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Bananas. My 2011 135i had a >60% residual! Looks like BMW FS isn't willing to take a risk on this little guy. Nuts, considering how the 1M has performed in the secondary market.
I don't understand the mentality of all those that are into leasing. It's like so many people in this thread have no idea that you can actually PURCHASE a car rather than lease it.

I guess that's why everyone's head is exploding and they can't wrap their head around the fact that BMW doesn't want you to lease this car.

The M2 is NOT going to be a high volume car!

The M3 and M4 are high volume cars and have lease rates to match.

The M235 is a high volume car and has lease rates to match.

As DJ KHALLED would say...
They don't want you to lease this car for $499.

If you want to get an M2... You will need to WAIT FOR IT ... And BMW wants you to BUY it. So take the hint and finance it at 1.99 percent!

And in order to make their point they make it lease for $899.
Appreciate 5
      05-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #25
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Good to see BM holding strong on this and not devaluing the vehicle by allowing it to be a loner model for the lease market where they will be just ragged and abused from the off. But unfortunately in this crazy world a lease is a sale and it's keeping the factories busy it just takes the value/status out of the vehicles/brand and the shine of going in and paying out right for a car.

I will never understand any M badge car being offered for lease just makes them become another car on the company car lists.
      05-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #26
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT
Good to see BM holding strong on this and not devaluing the vehicle by allowing it to be a loner model for the lease market where they will be just ragged and abused from the off. But unfortunately in this crazy world a lease is a sale and it's keeping the factories busy it just takes the value/status out of the vehicles/brand and the shine of going in and paying out right for a car.

I will never understand any M badge car being offered for lease just makes them become another car on the company car lists.

Finally someone who makes sense !

However, the simple reason that the M3 and M4 are available for lease is because volume is king. And yes the value of the E9x M3 seems to be eroding a bit in the used market ( in comparison with other M cars ) because of this.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #27
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
What makes me laugh even more is at the moment here in the UK our interest rates are ridiculously low and therefore it's given the mentality of spank your savings and earnings as you will get nothing (interest) in return if you save. But when the markets alter and they will and the rates go up there will be a lot of folk in dire straits with massive jumps in mortgage, loan and lease repayments. So the markets will be flooded in hand back motors the dealers can then not shift. Can see a real mess approaching in the near future hence purchasing a car I can easily afford to own, run and enjoy whilst becoming financially untethered as quickly as I can so I don't have to worry about things becoming crazy if the rates rise considerably.
      05-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #28
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsel View Post
If you plan to buyout, it doesn't matter that much. Your first 36 months costs more, but the buyout is low. If you plan to turn the car in, it's a total ripoff. The market value should be much higher at 36 months. When a car has this much demand the lease terms are always a ripoff. Just look at the Cayman GT4.
If you're going to buyout @ the end of the lease, it would still be cheaper to just finance, no?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #29
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I don't understand the mentality of all those that are into leasing. It's like so many people in this thread have no idea that you can actually PURCHASE a car rather than lease it.

I guess that's why everyone's head is exploding and they can't wrap their head around the fact that BMW doesn't want you to lease this car.

If you want to get an M2... You will need to WAIT FOR IT ... And BMW wants you to BUY it. So take the hint and finance it at 1.99 percent!

wrong! they are hoping you lease it because they make more $$$

Are people forgetting you can buy or sell a leased car at any time including the end of lease term? All bmw is doing with this lease residual is keeping it low in hopes that the leaser turns in a vehicle that is carrying equity. they hope you turn in a car that is worth more than your buy out, then they turn around and sell it again. and the m2 will retain better than the financing residual number.

You dont lose money on a lease unless your an idiot and turn in a lease with equity. the high payment is irrelevant. worse case scenario you paid more than your share of depreciation and you buy or sell the car to get what you over paid (equity) back. a lease payment still pays down principle like any other loan payment
Appreciate 3
      05-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #30
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
If you're going to buyout @ the end of the lease, it would still be cheaper to just finance, no?
not necessarily. it could actually be cheaper to lease then buy, than just buy.
1) calculate what the money factor gives you in terms of interest rate..it may be lower than the buying finance rate
2) you may be making higher payment over the first 3 years which means you are reducing principal quicker and in turn means you are paying less interest over the life of the loan.

over the course of 5 years it can absolutely be cheaper to lease for 3 and finance for 2, rather than finance for 5 from the start.

havent run the numbers on this but its absolutely a possibility.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #31
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143
Quote:

Are people forgetting you can buy or sell a leased car at any time including the end of lease term? All bmw is doing with this lease residual is keeping it low in hopes that the leaser turns in a vehicle that is carrying equity. they hope you turn in a car that is worth more than your buy out, then they turn around and sell it again. and the m2 will retain better than the financing residual number.

You dont lose money on a lease unless your an idiot and turn in a lease with equity. the high payment is irrelevant. worse case scenario you paid more than your share of depreciation and you buy or sell the car to get what you over paid (equity) back. a lease payment still pays down principle like any other loan payment
How do you not lose money on a lease? Almost everyone who leases gives the car back at the end. Where is the prophet on that?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #32
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143
Quote:

This. Thanks for setting DJ dickhead straight
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:18 PM   #33
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
However, the simple reason that the M3 and M4 are available for lease is because volume is king. And yes the value of the E9x M3 seems to be eroding a bit in the used market ( in comparison with other M cars ) because of this.
My big question is: If BMW thought these cars were really going to hold their value, wouldn't they incentivize leases so they could sell them twice? Lease rates like this virtually guarantee that BMW will see a low percentage of used M2 sales. And according to what some think about the M2's residual potential, they'd be foolish to miss out on that market.

I think this is BMW saying what they think the car will really be worth in 3 years' time, personally. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #34
Bmwhocr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW M3 | NB Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
Happy I didn't wait for another set of bad numbers. Penfed payment saver ftw.
I was thinking of going penfed as well. What APR did you get? Looks like its 1.99% for 60 months on the site
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #35
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

It's absurd to pay $800/mo for a car. Don't buy it if you can't afford it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #36
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwhocr

I was thinking of going penfed as well. What APR did you get? Looks like its 1.99% for 60 months on the site
That's for the straight finance. I did a balloon loan so it's higher. 2.47% but still lower than BMWs select offer.
      05-04-2016, 06:43 PM   #37
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

On newly released and in demand cars there is no reason for BMW to support lease values. Six months from now when supply catches up with demand residuals will be the BMW normal 57-60%.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #38
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
It's absurd to pay $800/mo for a car. Don't buy it if you can't afford it.
It is absurd to put $60K in capital into a depreciating asset that will most likely be sold within 3 years with interest rates so low. In addition, places like California we only pay tax on the lease payment, not full value of the vehicle. With BMW supporting most of the vehicle residuals there is no reason ever to buy a new BMW. Mercedes on the other hand does not want to lease vehicles like the C63 where it is probably cheaper to purchase.

Before you make blanket statements do some basic financial analysis.
Appreciate 5
bigdnno98286.50
      05-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #39
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
1M owners, rejoice!
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #40
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
How do you not lose money on a lease? Almost everyone who leases gives the car back at the end. Where is the prophet on that?
You lose money on almost any vehicle purchase unless you are dealing with something like a 911R. Also you do not have to wait till the end of the lease to dispose of it and most times it is less expensive to dispose of the leased BMW.

As a direct example I just transferred the lease on my son's 328i. If I was to trade it in or sell it today I would have had to pay $5K out of pocket plus lost the CA sales tax for another $3K. Instead after having the car for 16 months I am paying $350 out of pocket to transfer the lease. BTW I did not put anything down on the vehicle either.

So sick of the ignorance on leasing and people assuming that it is the wrong thing no matter what. It is completely situational.
Appreciate 3
      05-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #41
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
That's tragic! You can lease a well-equipped M5 for $1000 / month with 4K due at signing.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #42
TselaG80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMB G80 M3 X-Drive

Wow terrible pricing! I have a f80 (Msrp $85k) and pay less than $800 a month
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #43
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Bananas. My 2011 135i had a >60% residual! Looks like BMW FS isn't willing to take a risk on this little guy. Nuts, considering how the 1M has performed in the secondary market.
The rates were about the same for 1M so most bought. Funny because after 4 years 1m still with 100% of bre
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #44
F80NJM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
47%? Hahaha wow