08-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #23
Bamowe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Future M2

I wanted to tell you what a "naked" GT350 would cost me in germany:

GT350: 82.000 Euro
M2: ~ 55.000 Euro

So, here in germany, there is no "versus".
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #24
sth519
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i → M2 → i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamowe View Post
I wanted to tell you what a "naked" GT350 would cost me in germany:

GT350: 82.000 Euro
M2: ~ 55.000 Euro

So, here in germany, there is no "versus".
Yeah, similar to the "just get an M4 instead of an M2" argument. Maybe the price difference between those cars will be a lot less in the US, but in Germany and a lot of other countries around the world, there's at least a "one standard VW Golf" price difference between those cars, which is not exactly pocket change. And Germany isn't even the worst in that respect...

But of course, this is a US-based forum, so comparisons are usually made using US prices and that's okay.
It's just a bit depressing to see cars built in the EU being sold a lot cheaper in the US than what we have to pay, while on the other hand, cars imported from outside the EU are very expensive to buy. Damn you, economics... *shakes_fist*

Last edited by sth519; 08-05-2015 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #25
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth519 View Post
Yeah, similar to the "just get an M4 instead of an M2" argument. Maybe the price difference between those cars will be a lot less in the US, but in Germany and a lot of other countries around the world, there's at least a "one standard VW Golf" price difference between those cars, which is not exactly pocket change. And Germany isn't even the worst in that respect...

But of course, this is a US-based forum, so comparisons are usually made using US prices and that's okay.
It's just a bit depressing to see cars built in the EU being sold a lot cheaper in the US than what we have to pay, while on the other hand, cars imported from outside the EU are very expensive to buy. Damn you, economics... *shakes_fist*
Yea it's completely different. The GT350 and the M2 will be almost exactly the same price in the US, thus why there's discussion about it.

Don't care what the price is, they won't even remotely compete. The GT350 will smoke the M2 in every performance category you can think of.

Still doesn't mean I want one though
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #26
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

If they follow Ford and expect the m2/CSL to be competitive with the gt350 and 350r, then it's going to be one hell of a car. I think if they rely on brand loyalty and lust to pull people from the fords they will be sorely mistaken. If it comes to that, then the M2 will be competing with the Focus RS. They need to bring on the "special" and the meat to back it up. I'm still holding out some hope that they are shooting for a nicer/slightly slower gt350 competitor, and not "the expensive Focus RS alternative for grow ups" approach. This is all wishful thinking, but I will continue to stay in my comfortable dream land of possibilities and hope.

Please don't Obama us BMW,

-2addicts
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #27
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uae247 View Post
I am waiting for my M2 and am also looking at the GT350 and GT350R.

My only concern is getting an allocation for the Shelby.

I have a 1M and a Mustang Boss 302 and they are both amazing. Power and noise, the Boss wins. Looks and driving, the 1M.

But the new GT350 looks special.
Excellent advise.... if one must compare and apple and an orange.

I would expect M2 vs GT350 to be the same bottom line as 1M vs Boss 302.

I'm pretty confident I know which one is worth more today... all things being equal..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #28
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
If they follow Ford and expect the m2/CSL to be competitive with the gt350 and 350r, then it's going to be one hell of a car. I think if they rely on brand loyalty and lust to pull people from the fords they will be sorely mistaken. If it comes to that, then the M2 will be competing with the Focus RS. They need to bring on the "special" and the meat to back it up. I'm still holding out some hope that they are shooting for a nicer/slightly slower gt350 competitor, and not "the expensive Focus RS alternative for grow ups" approach. This is all wishful thinking, but I will continue to stay in my comfortable dream land of possibilities and hope.

Please don't Obama us BMW,

-2addicts
Appreciate 2
      08-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #29
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth519 View Post

Perhaps it should be.... " Damn you... trade embargos... ? " but yes... Agree 100 percent.. there is no way that BMWs should be cheaper in the US than the motherland.. .... except for a little thing called VOLUME... VOLUME is king.... and the US definitely buys lots of M cars...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #30
sth519
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i → M2 → i4

From the european perspective, my guess is that BMW will position the M2 mainly against rivals like the RS3, A45 AMG, Focus RS, Golf R(400), TT-RS, Civic Type R, etc.
And it has good chances of being the best drivers car of the bunch, since it's the only one that's not based on what's basically a FWD platform on steroids.
The M2 might not be the fastest of those cars (weight, lack of AWD grip), but it will possibly be the most balanced and most importantly fun-to-drive car of the pack.

But with cars like the new Mustang in the US, I don't think BMW will even directly compete with those. There's no chance a BMW will come even close in terms of price/performance, but that's nothing new for them. My guess is that instead, they'll focus heavily on the the M2 being light, nimble and precise and therefore try to target a different audience – which will definitely be a bit harder these days, with US muscle cars getting a lot better in terms of driving dynamics.
But in any case, I have no doubts that the M2 will find its customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Damn you... trade embargos... ? but yes... Agree 100 percent.. there is no way that BMWs should be cheaper in the US.... except for a little thing called VOLUME... VOLUME is king.... and the US definitely buys lots of M cars...
Yeah, taxes, volume, trying to maintain market share, ... there are many reasons.

Last edited by sth519; 08-05-2015 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #31
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
As there's more info out on the RS and 350/R I don't understand how this could possibly be off topic. Anything said in comparison is just speculation. I am simply sharing my opinions on how the M2 may stack up against either ford, including the gt350. Seeing as this thread is called m2 vs gt350 I don't see a more suitable thread. Since we all, (including you) are guessing the outcome of some hypothetical comparo. I am sorry your eyes had to view my 0's and 1's. I wasn't aware my post wouldnt be to your liking.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #32
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
As there's more info out on the RS and 350/R I don't understand how this could possibly be off topic. Anything said in comparison is just speculation. I am simply sharing my opinions on how the M2 may stack up against either ford, including the gt350. Seeing as this thread is called m2 vs gt350 I don't see a more suitable thread. Since we all, (including you) are guessing the outcome of some hypothetical comparo. I am sorry your eyes had to view my 0's and 1's. I wasn't aware my post wouldnt be to your liking.
I was referring to the political Molotov cocktail you threw... a no-no in most forums.

and you should indeed feel some remorse for those 0s and 1s... but you probably don't?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #33
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was referring to the political Molotov cocktail you threw... a no-no in most forums.

and you should indeed feel some remorse for those 0s and 1s... but you probably don't?
Hahaha well I'm glad you understood where I was coming from. I totally understand the political thing. It can be a touchy subject. I was hoping that line would be taken as obvious humor. I was more or less making fun of myself. The extreme PC/neutering side of Internet isn't to my liking. Thanks for the logical response and sorry for the thread jack guys. Now I really am
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 03:44 AM   #34
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

lol @ this guy.

How rustled are your jimmies right now?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:02 AM   #35
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er View Post
Don't know if mpg estimates are available for the GT350, but while I have heard an M3/M4 is in the high 20s, a GT350 will be likely be in the high teens at best. My reference is an E60 M5 that rarely was in the high teens.
Unfortunately, this is a major criteria in my purchase decision. The flat-plane crank GT350 imo sounds leagues above the n55.

The issue is that despite the old-school supercar sounds, mileage will be horrific as expected and the car emissions god/goddess(purple-pink haired deity?) could strike down with great impunity.

Some days the horizon is clear as can be; other days it could just be forest fire; other days it simply could just be an inversion. Some claim meat on the grill is the cause.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 03:49 AM   #36
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

for pure fun I would get the gt350, for a daily I would say the m2, not sure which one I would get. I configured a nice orange and black roof one with teck pkg for 56k. These will be two competitive cars for my buck price being one of the factors.

I'm expecting the gt350 to best m4 numbers and we know bmw is not going to let the m2 do that. Better than m4 performance for the price of a m2 almost makes this a no brainer
Attached Images

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold

Last edited by G-Mann; 08-20-2015 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:30 AM   #37
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

This one is a tough choice for those of us in the US (if only I could wave a price wand to grant the same prices to our European colleagues). Hyped up front wheel drive platforms are fun, but not the same. The upcoming Focus RS built on it's new AWD setup might be something else but can't say I'm drawn to the styling or the interior of current models. But the Mustang 350 vs the M2.. that's different.

For me, probably the Mustang 350 simply for the pure insanity of it all. How many times are we going to be able to buy a car like this? As hybrids seep in and everything changes it's the last and best dinosaur.

Of course, it's moot. Ford dealerships deserve their reputations and when the car is found for sale it will carry markups taking it well in excess of what we've been guessing an M2 will bring.

So.. I'm for an M2. Euro Delivery. Say.. purchased early for delivery next May or June if I can get a dealer to order me one for a fair price.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:48 AM   #38
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
Perhaps it should be.... " Damn you... trade embargos... ? " but yes... Agree 100 percent.. there is no way that BMWs should be cheaper in the US than the motherland.. .... except for a little thing called VOLUME... VOLUME is king.... and the US definitely buys lots of M cars...
But even more are sold in the European single market and each country still gets shafted on price.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #39
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

For the European, the choice is easy, M2 because it will cost less. But for the Americans, given they are both the same price, I'd get a Mustang and a Miata. Compromises are just not good enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #40
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
I understand it is a hypothetical question. I am in the market for a performance car that will only be used for fun duties on weekends and date nights. It would be a 3rd car so no back seats necessary, etc.

I identified the M2 as the potential front runner for satisfying these wants in the ~$50k range.

Obviously we all want something special as well. Just not sure how special the M2 will be and I think that's the biggest unanswered question as of now. Time will tell.

The GT350 poses an amazing value and ticks all the boxes. I hope the M2 is not as conservative as some of you are saying. The limited options and colors has me hoping it will, in fact, be a focused street toy.

What do you all think? What would one also look at in this range for a new sports coupe?
Have you driven the M235i as yet? If you even remotely enjoy driving the M235i the M2 is going to feel 10 times better. You should drive the mustang as well, but let me say that the Mustang is going to have a premium for the next year or so and to me if I'm spending that much I'd rather have the better quality car in the M2. Just my 2 cents.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #41
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
Quote:
I understand it is a hypothetical question. I am in the market for a performance car that will only be used for fun duties on weekends and date nights. It would be a 3rd car so no back seats necessary, etc.

I identified the M2 as the potential front runner for satisfying these wants in the ~$50k range.

Obviously we all want something special as well. Just not sure how special the M2 will be and I think that's the biggest unanswered question as of now. Time will tell.

The GT350 poses an amazing value and ticks all the boxes. I hope the M2 is not as conservative as some of you are saying. The limited options and colors has me hoping it will, in fact, be a focused street toy.

What do you all think? What would one also look at in this range for a new sports coupe?
Have you driven the M235i as yet? If you even remotely enjoy driving the M235i the M2 is going to feel 10 times better. You should drive the mustang as well, but let me say that the Mustang is going to have a premium for the next year or so and to me if I'm spending that much I'd rather have the better quality car in the M2. Just my 2 cents.
Wrong on the "10 times better" comment though I very much so wish that you were right!
///M Boss already said that the differences between the M235 and M2 aren't going to be great...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #42
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo
Quote:
Quote:

Wrong on the "10 times better" comment though I very much so wish that you were right!
///M Boss already said that the differences between the M235 and M2 aren't going to be great...
So you think it's going to be a disappointment?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 06:39 AM   #43
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo
Quote:
Quote:

So you think it's going to be a disappointment?
No way, the car will be great but not by a whole lot. If you've driven the M235, it's an awesome car as it is. And due to Marketing I'm sure BMW will not give us their best shot right out of the gate. Over time, I'm hoping for a Cayman-like progression and different M2 tiers that are similar to the Cayman's S, GTS, etc.
if BMW are smart and really greedy, we will indeed see a "further progress" M2 sooner than the next generation chassis, so they can start nibbling at Cayman's feet...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 08:41 AM   #44
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I don't see how the m2 will ever nibble at the cayman. It's a completely different car, with a totally different layout.

Both can be fun cars but one is a pumped up commenter car and the other is a dedicated mid engined sports car.

The driving dynamics of both (basing off prior Rwd Bmw m cars) are totally different
Appreciate 0