BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Best street and occasional track suspension

04-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Chaslieb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Best street and occasional track suspension

I am looking for a suspension that is best on the street and occasional track use. Looking for a setup that will tolerate potholed streets without teeth rattling and still be good if I have a hard turn. There does not seem to be much information but the Dinan coilover kit is reputed [by Matt Farrah] to be softer than stock and the Ohlin road and track bills itself as able to quickly soak up a bump and quickly rebound. I really value comfort for a daily driver over the occasional track day so that is where my priorities lay. It may be that I keep all stock and just put on some front camber plates so my front tires are not destroyed during a track day, but I would welcome advice on the best setup that is either adjustable or progressively sprung so that I can enjoy the ride on the hellish streets of Brooklyn and get the most when I get to the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
either of those would be good. i have the kw v3 and run it two clicks softer than the "normal" setup for daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Ohlins
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I run Ohlins with custom front and rear spring rates. 448/782, I think is what they came out to. There is no doubt that it's stiffer than stock, but it does absorb the big bumps pretty well.

If stock is pushing the comfort level for you, then I would advise plates only.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 11:38 PM   #5
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
I run Ohlins with custom front and rear spring rates. 448/782, I think is what they came out to. There is no doubt that it's stiffer than stock, but it does absorb the big bumps pretty well.

How much stiffer over stock would you say with your particular spring rate combo? Where do you have your dampers set at? Ohlins R&T is can be tuned to ride very nicely as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 07:06 AM   #6
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Quote:

How much stiffer over stock would you say with your particular spring rate combo? Where do you have your dampers set at? Ohlins R&T is can be tuned to ride very nicely as well.
I normally keep them at 13 clicks off full stiff.

8 clicks was perfect on track.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

Have you tried 15 to 20 click from full stiff? I bet that will ride close to stock if not better.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #8
champ_87
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 DCT

Quote:

A dumb noob here. Plates? Does this refer to aftermarket camber/caster plates? If so, how would they increase the comfort level? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ_87 View Post
A dumb noob here. Plates? Does this refer to aftermarket camber/caster plates? If so, how would they increase the comfort level? Thanks
they dont. I think he meant to JUST use the stock suspension with aftermarket camber plates.
      04-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #10
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ_87 View Post
they dont. I think he meant to JUST use the stock suspension with aftermarket camber plates.
Correct. They add a minimal amount of NVH.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #11
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Quote:

Have you tried 15 to 20 click from full stiff? I bet that will ride close to stock if not better.
I like how the car rides and handles on 13 clicks. My wife and kid are more sensitive to this sort of thing. I have a pretty high tolerance. Still rides better than my Cobalt SS with sealed sphericals and UHMW bushings everywhere.

I would personally hesitate to advise folks that Ohlins on a softer setting "rides better than stock". I'll try it just to see what it's like around 15-16 and report back on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #12
Chaslieb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Totally looking forward to your report

Quote:
I like how the car rides and handles on 13 clicks. My wife and kid are more sensitive to this sort of thing. I have a pretty high tolerance. Still rides better than my Cobalt SS with sealed sphericals and UHMW bushings everywhere.

I would personally hesitate to advise folks that Ohlins on a softer setting "rides better than stock". I'll try it just to see what it's like around 15-16 and report back on this thread.
I was considering the Ohlins but have read from others that they love it on the track but not as a daily. This may be because it is set too stiff, but looking to see what you think with it dialed down. If you have the jack out anyway and the wheels off, why not try at the softer settings on a bumpy road too?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 01:28 AM   #13
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Correct. They add a minimal amount of NVH.
An alternative to camber plates could be to use alignment correction bushes in LCA and tension struts that are on car adjustable and add about <1 deg of front camber

Superpro do both - below is camber adjustment bushes for LCAs

http://www.superpro.com.au/find/supe...999501545/vid-
      04-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #14
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaslieb View Post
I was considering the Ohlins but have read from others that they love it on the track but not as a daily. This may be because it is set too stiff, but looking to see what you think with it dialed down. If you have the jack out anyway and the wheels off, why not try at the softer settings on a bumpy road too?
Better than OE ride is definitely possible. We helped a F8x M3/4 owner achieve that goal with proper selection of springs.

F87 M2 is lighter with a shorter wheel base so even lighter springs may be needed to get the same results, but not impossible.

Here is the link:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1354107
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #15
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
There does not seem to be much information but the Dinan coilover kit is reputed [by Matt Farrah] to be softer than stock and the Ohlin road and track bills itself as able to quickly soak up a bump and quickly rebound.
Yes, he said the Dinan is more comfortable than stock. However, how is that possible? The Dinan kit is adjustable springs only. No shocks. Do they have a full kit? It isn't on their website.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 09:27 PM   #16
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Alright, so I tried 16 clicks off full stiff, that's 3 clicks softer than I normally run, and I really dislike it. I'm surprised how much of a difference it made. Yes it takes some of the harshness away, but in return, the car has an unnatural feel to it. I'm not really sure how to explain it. It isn't the typical underdamped feeling.

So back to 13 clicks for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #17
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

I think for $2,300 the M performance suspension is tough to beat.

I went to the track a couple weeks with the factory settings. I was able to do 2 sessions but I was already a second faster than the original suspension. Local track is short, just 2.4 km.

then Yesterday night, I changed the rebound and compression shock settings to full soft. And the ride is pretty comfortable. I am now under the impression that the cars ride is more compliant than what it was when stock.
      05-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
Chaslieb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
An alternative to camber plates could be to use alignment correction bushes in LCA and tension struts that are on car adjustable and add about <1 deg of front camber

Superpro do both - below is camber adjustment bushes for LCAs

http://www.superpro.com.au/find/supe...999501545/vid-
Seem pretty pricey for a nylon bushing that costs as much as camber plates and perhaps as much or more to install- also not apparently user adjustable between greater and lesser camber setting- more of a set it and forget it kind of thing. Are you using them and do you find any advantage to them?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #19
Chaslieb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Alright, so I tried 16 clicks off full stiff, that's 3 clicks softer than I normally run, and I really dislike it. I'm surprised how much of a difference it made. Yes it takes some of the harshness away, but in return, the car has an unnatural feel to it. I'm not really sure how to explain it. It isn't the typical underdamped feeling.

When you say "unnatural" did it seem the car was floating at that setting? Was it bouncing up and down on the springs? Hard to get at what you did not like.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #20
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Seem pretty pricey for a nylon bushing that costs as much as camber plates and perhaps as much or more to install- also not apparently user adjustable between greater and lesser camber setting- more of a set it and forget it kind of thing. Are you using them and do you find any advantage to them?
Not using them personally - I'm running F8x LCAs and TS on my m135i
      05-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #21
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

When you say "unnatural" did it seem the car was floating at that setting? Was it bouncing up and down on the springs? Hard to get at what you did not like.
It feels almost like it is underdamped, but different. The steering response also slows down. Not feel, but the responsiveness. It took all of 5 minutes to decide I was never going to run that setting again.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #22
Chaslieb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Strangely, Ohlins used to use a much lower spring rate

From a sale listing I found:

Ohlins Suspension For 2007-2013 BMW M3 (E9x) - BMS MI40

product detail information

Spring Rate: Front: 60 N/mm // 343 lbs/in. // 6.12 k/mm - Rear: 120 N/mm // 686lbs/in. // 12.23 k/mm

This on a car with a curb weight of 3,704 to 4,145 lbs.

Strange then that the spring rate for the M2 which has a curb weight of 3,450 lbs. should be so much higher.

I wonder if the dampers are so different from this vehicle to those for the M3 that lower rate springs are not recommended?
Appreciate 0