BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Comparison video of M2 ASD (active sound) on/off

07-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #45
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I don't "get" the ASD. Does the typical M buyer like this sort of thing? Certainly doesn't seem to elicit much praise on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #46
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
Does the typical M buyer like this sort of thing?
Well BMW isn't purposely continuing features that are generally disliked. I don't think it's noticeable enough for most drivers. It's in my car and I genuinely hate it because it masks how the actual car sounds externally.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 04:54 AM   #47
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
or the UK guys

i think there is a way we can remote onto your PC, which is connected to the car...
If there is anyone willing to do this with me, then I can help Robin as well, and maybe other local people in Europe.

More than willing to invest in the gear required. I only need someone helping me to set it up and guide me through the first steps. I have too little time to fully dive into it for days.

MR
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2016, 04:56 AM   #48
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Well BMW isn't purposely continuing features that are generally disliked. I don't think it's noticeable enough for most drivers. It's in my car and I genuinely hate it because it masks how the actual car sounds externally.
It is a feature for noobs who do not have a clue. Enthusiasts like us hate it because we know what to expect so we deal with it.

MR
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 05:58 AM   #49
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.
Quote:
or the UK guys

i think there is a way we can remote onto your PC, which is connected to the car...
If there is anyone willing to do this with me, then I can help Robin as well, and maybe other local people in Europe.

More than willing to invest in the gear required. I only need someone helping me to set it up and guide me through the first steps. I have too little time to fully dive into it for days.

MR
I am happy to do the remote coding.

We just need to setup a laptop to do the following:

Wifi network setup for web access /
And remote access
Local network card IP configured separately so the car connects and we then bridge remote access.

E-sys and pzdata installed - this is easy and I can point you in direction of all files.
OBCD Cable made up or bought of eBay.
      07-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #50
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am happy to do the remote coding.

We just need to setup a laptop to do the following:

Wifi network setup for web access /
And remote access
Local network card IP configured separately so the car connects and we then bridge remote access.

E-sys and pzdata installed - this is easy and I can point you in direction of all files.
OBCD Cable made up or bought of eBay.
I am currently not home, but let's work on this when I am back home. This will be in like a week or so, and in the meantime I will try to order the right cable.

Any suggestions what cable I should get on eBay and links to the software so that I can get that downloaded?

Thanks in advance!

MR
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #51
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
It is a feature for noobs who do not have a clue. Enthusiasts like us hate it because we know what to expect so we deal with it.

MR
In addition to the fake nature of the synthetic sound itself, the overwhelmingly undesirable thing ASD does is to falsely indicate the engine sound level (is it higher or lower?). The actual engine sound is being masked with some abstract idea of the real environment. It is absurdly impossible to tell how loud you're actually revving the car because your own stereo is always drowning out the sounds produced directly from the engine - even with the damn windows down. I understand that BMW has good road-noise dampening tech which is appreciated, but I'd still like a sense of the engine and exhaust sounds even if partially muffled. A brain is perfectly capable of naturally extrapolating how loud the car would sound on the outside from within the car, if these real sounds weren't being actively denied (Active Sound Denial).
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #52
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

*subscribed*

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #53
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:

Yeah, ASD really does sound artificial after turning it off. Well worth pulling that fuse for a 5 min test. Which fuse is it out of Interest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
So do we know which fuse it is?
Sorry, i haven't got around to trying it as yet but i believe its fuse #122. If anyone has pulled the fuse maybe they can confirm this is correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 04:57 AM   #54
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
I am currently not home, but let's work on this when I am back home. This will be in like a week or so, and in the meantime I will try to order the right cable.

Any suggestions what cable I should get on eBay and links to the software so that I can get that downloaded?

Thanks in advance!

MR
PM sent for the software.

Cable, sorry a mate made mine up - but go for one with good eBay reviews, probably can't go wrong?
Robin_NL8716.00
      07-30-2016, 05:16 AM   #55
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
PM sent for the software.

Cable, sorry a mate made mine up - but go for one with good eBay reviews, probably can't go wrong?
I will see what I can find next week. So busy right now, when does it stop

MR
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8716.00
      08-04-2016, 05:27 AM   #56
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Nice videos but either they are both mirrored or you are driving on the wrong side of the road! :P
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 08:19 AM   #57
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

People are against ASD more as a matter of principle I think. The car in the video with no ASD sounds flat and uninspired to me so principle or not I will not be deactivating mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #58
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
People are against ASD more as a matter of principle I think. The car in the video with no ASD sounds flat and uninspired to me so principle or not I will not be deactivating mine.
I don't think the dislike for ASD had to do with a matter of principal. It sounds fine, even pleasant and promotes a sense of driving feedback. The problem is that it effectively drowns out real sound from the environment, which is important information for some people. An artificial sound cocoon increases obliviousness to what is going on - like you are playing a video game while driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 12:00 AM   #59
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

I rarely drive with the drivers window up so don't really notice the ASD, on the few occasions i have driven with the windows up though the ASD can be quite annoying so i can see why people dislike it so much.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 02:59 AM   #60
outcast
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2

ASD is a mixed bag.

I loved it in my M235i with MPE, because without you heard almost nothing with windows up. The sound also fit very well with everything, and didn't drown out the MPE with windows down.

In the M2, I found ASD to be too loud and to mask some of the very nice mechanical noises the M2 makes. Occasionally ASD even gave wrong aural feedback, e.g. when lifting off the throttle. And for my ears it droned HORRIBLY around 3k rpm or 120km/h, which is our regular highway speed.

With ASD off I love the M2 - no drone, you can hear all the nice mechanical noises from transmission, diff, exhaust (even the stock one). When driving sedately it is really nice and quiet, and gets appropriately loud when under load. However, I can understand that many people expect more noise, and that's why ASD is there.

For me, without ASD is perfect, more so now with the Akrapovic exhaust - it's pure bliss.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 07:06 AM   #61
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

I experienced both, my amp died 3 days into ownership. The only difference ASD makes imo is the drone at 4K like this guy said above. The rest of the difference is super minimal, but in a forum full of audiophiles and OCD folks I guess it's worth discussion
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #62
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Also info for those looking to add aftermarket subs/amp you must disable Active Sound, if you install the subwoofer correctly, Aside from making sure you grab the stocker sub wires (thicker four wires outo of the factory amp bc the amp has built in low pass filters sending lower frequencies to the underseat subs) and using a high end voltage regulating High to low converter (ex. Audio Control LCi-2) or blowing every amplifier you try to power with way too much amperage to feed an amplifier.

Otherwise, in sport and sport+ where active sound is most pronounced a powerful sub will vibrate and be INCREDIBLY loud with the load of the engine.

I never even noticed AS, Until I installed my sub woofer and 2400 watt amp....after, upon accelerating for the first time the sub got enough power to instantly blow. (Alpine type R @ 2 ohms receiving approx 1000w RMS...)

Leaving it i comfort muted active sound just enough to actually hear the bass from the music through the sub. Just fyi...
Appreciate 1
D CHOI581.00
      05-13-2017, 03:21 AM   #63
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3Power View Post
Also info for those looking to add aftermarket subs/amp you must disable Active Sound, if you install the subwoofer correctly, Aside from making sure you grab the stocker sub wires (thicker four wires outo of the factory amp bc the amp has built in low pass filters sending lower frequencies to the underseat subs) and using a high end voltage regulating High to low converter (ex. Audio Control LCi-2) or blowing every amplifier you try to power with way too much amperage to feed an amplifier.

Otherwise, in sport and sport+ where active sound is most pronounced a powerful sub will vibrate and be INCREDIBLY loud with the load of the engine.

I never even noticed AS, Until I installed my sub woofer and 2400 watt amp....after, upon accelerating for the first time the sub got enough power to instantly blow. (Alpine type R @ 2 ohms receiving approx 1000w RMS...)

Leaving it i comfort muted active sound just enough to actually hear the bass from the music through the sub. Just fyi...

I feel like the stock sound system is good but could be better. I thought about adding a sub so this is good to know. However now I am thinking twice as I don't know if I want that extra weight in the back trunk. You mind posting a pic of your set up?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #64
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...es+back&page=3

there are some pics in my mod journal...I had to take it out to make room for, methanol and my c02 intercooler sprayer...i go into more detail on there as well
Appreciate 0