BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Recommendations to get some track time- clubs, instruction and resources?

04-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Recommendations to get some track time- clubs, instruction and resources?

Sorry for the beginner post here, but just trying to find the best route to go, the easiest way to get track time and figuring out the funds needed to get started (minus the car mods + wear and tear).

Anyone have recommendations toward Southern California track time? I'm not looking to race, just get some time on a track, some instruction and have fun.

I understand that you can't simply pick a track, schedule a slot, have an inspection, put on a helmet and off you go.

It seems each track has their rules and regulations. Seems a license or getting you checked per track, having some form of prior experience seems to be the norm.

Is it best to join a club or instruction school and go from there? If so, any recommendations?

Any help and guidance is appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
mokrunka140.00
      04-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

My suggestion is to start by looking up your local BMW car club on the bmw cca website and see what types of events they offer in your area (I'm on the east coast so can't give direction regarding events local to you). In my experience, BMWCCA events prioritize safety and learning (on/off track instruction), without sacrificing your ability to have fun and drive at a fast pace, which are good focal points for people just starting out driving on track.

Once you find an event you would like to attend, you should focus on making sure you and your car are up to spec and ready. The local chapter's website will likely have forms and guidelines to help guide you through those basics.

Alternatives include going with a proper racing school, Skip Barber for example, but will cost much more or going with a non-affiliated club which may not offer the same level of instruction.

You can typically register for events through motorsportreg.com
Appreciate 3
M2 Blur125.50
mokrunka140.00
      04-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
My suggestion is to start by looking up your local BMW car club on the bmw cca website and see what types of events they offer in your area (I'm on the east coast so can't give direction regarding events local to you). In my experience, BMWCCA events prioritize safety and learning (on/off track instruction), without sacrificing your ability to have fun and drive at a fast pace, which are good focal points for people just starting out driving on track.

Once you find an event you would like to attend, you should focus on making sure you and your car are up to spec and ready. The local chapter's website will likely have forms and guidelines to help guide you through those basics.

Alternatives include going with a proper racing school, Skip Barber for example, but will cost much more or going with a non-affiliated club which may not offer the same level of instruction.

You can typically register for events through motorsportreg.com
Thank you for the info. I was already leaning toward BMWCCA but wanted clarification if this is a good route to explore.

Anyone a BMWCCA member here in SoCal that can comment toward this path? Just looking to embrace the sport and enjoy some time on the track and other enthusiasts.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
mokrunka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2, 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Blur View Post
Thank you for the info. I was already leaning toward BMWCCA but wanted clarification if this is a good route to explore.

Anyone a BMWCCA member here in SoCal that can comment toward this path? Just looking to embrace the sport and enjoy some time on the track and other enthusiasts.

Thanks again
I'm pretty much in the exact same boat as you. I'm a BMWCCA member, but did it for the discount on the car, and haven't done any events with them.

One thing I'm planning on doing is here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1374428. Hoping to meet some other like-minded enthusiasts and pick their brains on how to get started. You should join us! (btw, I'm also in SoCal)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 11:56 PM   #5
VegasM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB/Manual/Exc.

I live in Vegas but i'm headed to a track event near LA at AutoClub Speedway on May 12th through Hooked On Driving - www.hookedondriving.com I know that this is the first of 3 or 4 days that they will be hosting there this year. definitely check them out. they welcome beginners.
      05-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #6
TimOudin
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
I was already leaning toward BMWCCA but wanted clarification if this is a good route to explore.
Let me add more support for BMW CCA as well! They offer a great, safe curriculum that's well suited for novices. Looks like the Los Angeles chapter also does a Car Control Clinic, and if you haven't done one it's a perfect way to start learning the basics.

Don't hesitate to reach out to the chapter Events Coordinators or Chief Driving Instructors with any questions. They generally like to talk about that kind of stuff!
Appreciate 2
M2 Blur125.50
      05-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:

Thanks again
BMWCCA is a great club, especially here in Southern California.

The San Diego chapter runs regular (about once a month) autocrosses at Qualcomm Stadium, and there are usually 2 or 3 HPDEs (High Performance Driver Education) per year run by various chapters at which you can get a safe, friendly, beginner-friendly, non-competitive peek into what your BMW is capable of (a lot).
      05-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #8
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Sorry for the beginner post here, but just trying to find the best route to go, the easiest way to get track time and figuring out the funds needed to get started (minus the car mods + wear and tear).
Awesome! It can be daunting at first looking into all this stuff. Totally makes sense. No need to qualify it. You'll find track guys are a bunch of nice people that share the same addiction and, generally, like to help new guys out just getting into it.

Easiest way to get track time is google/research providers in your area. Search "track day provider" or "hpde provider" or "drive my car on the track" or whatever.

You've got Hooked On Driving as a larger provider that rents out tracks around the country. You'll also have local providers. Car clubs such as BMW CCA as been mentioned. There may even be a local shop that does its own track days in your area.

Funds-wise, a solid average I've seen over the years tends to be around $325 per track day, including an ambulance or two to be on call and ready at a moment's notice, and - depending on the provider - sometimes includes breakfast and/or lunch. That is the cost to drive your car on the track for that day. It does not include gas. It may be $295 or it could be $450, depending on the track, the day, and the provider. I normally see low $300 range, so I think it's a good average when planning and budgeting.

Quote:
Anyone have recommendations toward Southern California track time? I'm not looking to race, just get some time on a track, some instruction and have fun.
I would suggest to do a track school. This is not the same thing as a racing school, even though some of them may be called racing schools... it's a walk before you can run kind of thing. Everybody has to learn the basics first. Track schools are dedicated to teaching you skills that directly translate to better, safer driving on the street, better understanding of the dynamics of your car, and increased ability to handle emergency situations. None of this is about racing. Track school will accelerate your learning and get you more comfortable driving out on track on your own sooner, while ensuring to have any bad habits you've built up over the years to be looked at and broken.

My favorite SoCal track (I am from there) is Streets of Willow in Rosamond, CA.

It is the smaller course at the Willow Springs International Raceway compound, about an hour north of LA. The Streets is a small, tight, and technical course. You don't reach silly high top speeds, and those who are good with their technical skills like braking, cornering, and smooth driving, are rewarded -- big horsepower does not help you on such a small track. It's all about the driver.

Other cool tracks are Buttonwillow - another obscure, but very fun track in SoCal. Auto Club Speedway (formerly California Speedway) is also a good track, although it's a D-shaped oval with a flat infield section - I prefer smaller tracks that have natural elevation changes such as Streets of Willow, since they (to me) feel more organic in how they flow.

I think most of the track schools use the Streets of Willow also, btw.

You may get an instructor with some track day providers, such as Hooked on Driving, but they are there with lots of other drivers and their number one priority is safety of all drivers on the track. So you may get limited instruction as a novice driver with one of these groups, and that is great -- it just will not be the amount of dedicated instruction you will get by doing a school even for 1 day, but 2 days school is ideal.

Quote:
I understand that you can't simply pick a track, schedule a slot, have an inspection, put on a helmet and off you go.
Well actually, it's not really that much more complicated than that. The only piece you're missing is the "track day provider" part - the company who rents out the track and schedules slots for us all. I do suggest getting your own helmet btw, if you'll track often.

Quote:
It seems each track has their rules and regulations. Seems a license or getting you checked per track, having some form of prior experience seems to be the norm.
For the most part the rules are pretty constant. Mostly different providers will have different rules, for example regarding hard-top convertibles.

Rules on the track are also nearly identical (what the flags mean, etc.) although some groups may run different rules on what to do during a red flag for example -- stop right there or exit the track slowly or what? -- but that stuff is not a big deal, just go to the morning drivers meeting (mandatory anyway) on each track day and that stuff is usually covered.

You do not need prior experience and you do not need any kind of license to do just track days or track schools. Racing is different and not necessary to discuss here.

Remember, experienced track guys want to see more people go to the track, become better drivers, have fun with their cars in a safe environment. I think you'll find if you're mindful and respectful of people's time, do your basic research, and join some track days you'll feel welcomed and meet lots of awesome guys who are more than willing to help you out.

Quote:
Is it best to join a club or instruction school and go from there? If so, any recommendations?

Any help and guidance is appreciated. Thanks!
Yeah I personally believe doing a track school is the best way to go, although a reputable group that provides instructors to novice / first-time drivers such as Hooked on Driving is certainly not a bad way to get started, and if the school you can do locally is next August 2018 and you want to drive on the track before then, don't let that stop you!

Schools, look around and read reviews. I've not done one for cars, so can't comment, but check out the popular ones like Chin or Skip Barber.
Appreciate 2
M2 Blur125.50
mokrunka140.00
      05-03-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Searching tracks and driving schools in Southern a California was vague and seemed restrictive.

Having the opportunity to post a question in a forum to others that have had the same questions or taken a specific path to simply get some track time, you can learn from others and make better decisions. I'll be looking into a local chapter, more research, finding local events, participating in a driving school and getting on a track... hopefully sooner than later .

I'll try to keep it simple and start with one of these options first and see where it leads me.

Thanks everyone for the input and feedback.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Searching tracks and driving schools in Southern a California was vague and seemed restrictive.

Having the opportunity to post a question in a forum to others that have had the same questions or taken a specific path to simply get some track time, you can learn from others and make better decisions. I'll be looking into a local chapter, more research, finding local events, participating in a driving school and getting on a track... hopefully sooner than later .

I'll try to keep it simple and start with one of these options first and see where it leads me.

Thanks everyone for the input and feedback.
Join BMW CCA. Many people seem to feel that paying to be a member of a club is silly , but
- the monthly Roundel magazine is excellent.
- discounts at dealer are possible
- the vehicle rebate program puts money BACK in your pocket.
- driving events like tours, Autocross and HPDE are fun!
- making new friends that have the same interests as you is just absolutely horrible !
- if you move across the state or even the country - find the local BMW chapter and you will have instant friends.
Appreciate 2
M2 Blur125.50
      05-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I would second or third joining BMW CCA, I joined BMW Clubs Canada and my local chapter runs really good advanced driving schools. I did my first track day with which provided some class room instruction + skid pad + some in-car instructor sessions and felt it was good but then I did my first weekend ADS and it was much better.

With the schools we had in-car instructors for all sessions and I think when starting that is incredibly useful. The continuous feedback is very helpful and provides for a safe environment.

The membership fees aren't very high, I'd suggest joining, try out a school and then see how you find it. If you like it after the first then I would probably suggest getting your own helmet, I wouldn't want to rent/borrow long term.
Appreciate 1
M2 Blur125.50