BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Adding M2 to my garage

04-22-2017, 03:11 AM   #45
M2222
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Only interesting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinHou View Post
Are any pre-break-in limiters removed after the break in service?

By the sounds of things, he didn't have the service before hitting the track.
The same thought occurred to me as we were driving around the track. I am going to ask when I take the car in next week.

Oh, and one other qualifier I should have mentioned, we had two people on board so we were carrying an extra 160lbs.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 03:17 AM   #46
M2222
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I can highly recommend to include doing a lap of the thrilling Sella Ronda in the Dolomites: once you're at Canazei, drive East to Arabba (Pordoi pass), then drive North to Corvara (Campolongo pass), then West to Gröden (Selva di Val Gardena) (Gardena pass) and finally South to Canazei again (Sella pass). Or drive it clockwise (Sella pass - Gardena pass - Campolongo pass - Pordoi pass). The full lap takes about 75 mins (normal pace).

Trust me, it will be one of the highlights of your trip. Driving pleasure + humbling experience with those huge 'towers' right next to you.

My favourite Italian passes: Penserjoch (Passo di Pennes) and Giau Pass (Passo di Giau).

Heading there again at the end of next week.

Best real-time road condition source for passes (open / closed / limited access): http://www.alpenpaesse.co/

Attachment 1610617

I skied the Sella Ronda a couple of seasons ago and fell in love with the place. We stayed at Corvara/Colfosco. I promised myself I would go back one day in summer to drive instead of ski.

....and so....I am actually going to drive the Sella Ronda at the end of May this year on our way back from Venice. I hope my photos are as nice as yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #47
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinHou View Post
Are any pre-break-in limiters removed after the break in service?

By the sounds of things, he didn't have the service before hitting the track.
The same thought occurred to me as we were driving around the track. I am going to ask when I take the car in next week.

Oh, and one other qualifier I should have mentioned, we had two people on board so we were carrying an extra 160lbs.
Despite claims to the contrary on this forum I've heard repeatedly from owners that the car changes after the break in service. I know someone who did European delivery that reported the car was a bit of a slug until it was serviced. It didn't help that you had a full passenger load not exactly ideal for the track. Out of curiosity are all your cars dual clutch?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #48
M2222
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Despite claims to the contrary on this forum I've heard repeatedly from owners that the car changes after the break in service. I know someone who did European delivery that reported the car was a bit of a slug until it was serviced. It didn't help that you had a full passenger load not exactly ideal for the track. Out of curiosity are all your cars dual clutch?
Almost all. Right now, my only exception is my 964 RS...but I have two GT3.2s incoming. One in July which is PDK and another in January 2017 which will be manual. I am also on the hunt for a good 997 GT3 RS which is manual only. Been looking for a good one for over a year without any luck.

But for the record, I am not a manual romantic. Once I discovered the wonders of the GT3.1 PDK on track I was converted forever more. I also have an AMG GTR arriving in August which is, needless to say, also dual clutch.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #49
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Almost all. Right now, my only exception is my 964 RS...but I have two GT3.2s incoming. One in July which is PDK and another in January 2017 which will be manual. I am also on the hunt for a good 997 GT3 RS which is manual only. Been looking for a good one for over a year without any luck.

But for the record, I am not a manual romantic. Once I discovered the wonders of the GT3.1 PDK on track I was converted forever more. I also have an AMG GTR arriving in August which is, needless to say, also dual clutch.
dayumn!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 06:07 AM   #50
M2222
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

4 of my cars in my back garden.

The M2 surrounded by Pcars...but holding it's own!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 07:40 AM   #51
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

Hell of a fleet! All white again?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 09:26 PM   #52
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
4 of my cars in my back garden.

The M2 surrounded by Pcars...but holding it's own!
Goals
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 06:15 AM   #53
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
After a long hiatus waiting for the M2, it has finally arrived. Off to Hockenheim next Wednesday for a track day to see how she goes. Run in? What Run in?!
Here is your DKG M2 parked before my manual M2. It looks like we live in the same area

Last edited by Franzino; 04-24-2017 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 06:22 AM   #54
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
After 6 days ownership, I took my car to Hockenheim on Wednesday. Had almost exactly 2,000 km on the clock by the time we got to the track. So consider it run in.

Then did a further 350kms on the track before driving another 450kms home.

It was an awesome day, but very cold. Never got above 5C and even had a couple of snow showers.

It's a good fun car. Very well balanced. Easy to drift. Not snappy like M3/M4.

But...where's the power??

On the straights we were being left behind by a bog standard Audi S3 and the accelerator was pinned to the floor. No contest in the corners or under braking but geez...it's slow in a straight line. And compared to my GT3 it's even slower, which I know is maybe not a fair match, but I did expect it to be faster.

You can see in my video that we actually passed a GT3 but it was badly driven. You can see how much faster a well driven GT4 is on the 2nd lap.

Don't get me wrong, its a nice car and will serve the purpose for which I bought it. But it just needs more power, especially in the top end.

We also uncovered a strange foible. We ran the tyre temperatures up and then pulled into the pits to let them down. But when we went back out, the transmission dropped from Sport+ to Comfort and would not go back into Sport or Sport+. We concluded that it was reacting to the lower tyre pressures so we went back in and put the tyres pressure back up and voila, it allowed up to stay in Sport+. A really odd nanny.

Traction control and stability control are much too intrusive in Sport. And traction control still kicks into easily in Sport+. Discovered that you have to hold the DSC button down while in Sport+ to turn everything off.
If I had your garage; I would forget taking the M2 to the track and take your 991 GT3 or 964 RS... I also tested my M2 on the Nurburgring (with 6.000km on the clock) and came to this conclusion: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1375049

I love my manual M2 and it's awesome on the street! What is the main purpose of usage that you bought your M2? Considering you already have a really nice P-garage with a great sportscar, lovely convertible and practical daily...
      04-24-2017, 06:25 AM   #55
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Just wondering; why did you order a 991.2 GT3 in manual and PDK? Are you still going to keep your 991.1 GT3? Thumbs up on the 997.2 GT3 RS; best and most exiting car I have ever driven!
      04-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #56
M2222
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
If I had your garage; I would forget taking the M2 to the track and take your 991 GT3 or 964 RS... I also tested my M2 on the Nurburgring (with 6.000km on the clock) and came to this conclusion: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1375049

I love my manual M2 and it's awesome on the street! What is the main purpose of usage that you bought your M2? Considering you already have a really nice P-garage with a great sportscar, lovely convertible and practical daily...
My GT3.1 is up for sale while I wait for my GT3.2 so I am not driving it in case I put it into a wall or something. So I bought an M2 as an interim car to do some track days between now and August. My intention was to sell it later this year but I am now feeling I may keep it. It is such a good city car with lots of low end punch. You can sort of get your thrills quite low in the rev range without feeling too much like a hooligan...which you do in the GT3.

Your Nurburgring lap looks nice too.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:06 AM   #57
M2222
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

As for my 964 RS, sadly it's just too valuable to risk tracking it. I wish I could put that aside and go drive the hell out of it, but sadly I just can't. So its a special drive car only.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #58
M2222
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Just wondering; why did you order a 991.2 GT3 in manual and PDK? Are you still going to keep your 991.1 GT3? Thumbs up on the 997.2 GT3 RS; best and most exiting car I have ever driven!
I ordered one GT3 with full wing, PDK, etc for track to replace my current GT3. The manual is a pre-emptive second order with the so-called "touring" package but the specific config of the package will not be clear for another couple of months. I have pretty solid information that it will be "wingless" a la 911R. If so, I will go thru with my order. If not, I will cancel it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #59
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
My GT3.1 is up for sale while I wait for my GT3.2 so I am not driving it in case I put it into a wall or something. So I bought an M2 as an interim car to do some track days between now and August. My intention was to sell it later this year but I am now feeling I may keep it. It is such a good city car with lots of low end punch. You can sort of get your thrills quite low in the rev range without feeling too much like a hooligan...which you do in the GT3
100% correct; that is why I like the M2 on the street. On street fast shifting or fast lap times are not important... So I bought the manual M2 because I feel it gives me extra involvement and extra driving fun with street usage (and not needing to go ultra fast to get this fun). I'm a sucker for manual gearboxes in general, but I can understand why you love PDK, DCT on track.

If you want your M2 to be better on track; you will need to do some modifications (with brakes on the first place). Me personally I'm not going to drive my M2 on track anymore....I will use my Z4M for now on track or maybe one day a Porsche GT4 (if the used value lowers a little with the launch of the new GT4).
      04-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #60
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
As for my 964 RS, sadly it's just too valuable to risk tracking it. I wish I could put that aside and go drive the hell out of it, but sadly I just can't. So its a special drive car only.
I understand 100%; I presume you only drive it on the street...? Or maybe the car is mainly an investment...that is also fun to use occasionally. Great car!
      04-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #61
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I ordered one GT3 with full wing, PDK, etc for track to replace my current GT3. The manual is a pre-emptive second order with the so-called "touring" package but the specific config of the package will not be clear for another couple of months. I have pretty solid information that it will be "wingless" a la 911R. If so, I will go thru with my order. If not, I will cancel it.
Makes sense! Just wondering; why not buy a used 991.1 GT3 RS (PDK) for track to replace your current GT3 + a new 991.2 GT3 (with manual gearbox and no wing) for street fun...? Seems like the best of both worlds to me
      04-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #62
M2222
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense! Just wondering; why not buy a used 991.1 GT3 RS (PDK) for track to replace your current GT3 + a new 991.2 GT3 (with manual gearbox and no wing) for street fun...? Seems like the best of both worlds to me
I did consider that but I want the new 4.0 engine with solid lifters.
Appreciate 0