BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MPE sales has stopped, new one is coming in Q1 2017

04-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #111
M2taz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by njw View Post
Interesting tidbit for all those with MPE. After 4000+ miles, I was having really bad drone issues at freeway cruising speeds (75mph @ 3K rpm). Almost headache inducing. Bad enough that I was staying in 5th gear on the freeway, because it was quieter.

After reading this thread, hearing that others were not experiencing the same, I decided to take it in. Coincidentally, the BMW rep was in town, so he and the service mgr took a ride with me. I got a call the next day that they were going to warranty it.

Although not the new model number, the new one has far less drone and I am really pleased BMW had my back and replaced it. For what it is worth, vibration at cold start has never been an issue since it only lasts 3-5 seconds at most.

Short acceleration clip from last weekend on Hwy 74 in SoCal.
https://youtu.be/csUga5yeE0Y

I'm glad it fixed your drone problem. I'm still on the fence what to do about my MPE, the car's a week old and ordered it with the M performance package. The 7 hour drive home from the dealer was painful after a while sitting mostly around 3k RPMs but playing a little as it was still breaking in. My head was ringing for the day afterwards! I coded the ASD out immediately which definitely helped a lot but the drone is there, just not as loud. Otherwise it sounds awesome and I could probably put up with the slight drone since it's not my DD.

Is there a way to know which version of MPE I have? Any physical differences? I don't get the shakes during cold starts.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #112
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 - LBB/6MT/Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2taz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by njw View Post
Interesting tidbit for all those with MPE. After 4000+ miles, I was having really bad drone issues at freeway cruising speeds (75mph @ 3K rpm). Almost headache inducing. Bad enough that I was staying in 5th gear on the freeway, because it was quieter.

After reading this thread, hearing that others were not experiencing the same, I decided to take it in. Coincidentally, the BMW rep was in town, so he and the service mgr took a ride with me. I got a call the next day that they were going to warranty it.

Although not the new model number, the new one has far less drone and I am really pleased BMW had my back and replaced it. For what it is worth, vibration at cold start has never been an issue since it only lasts 3-5 seconds at most.

Short acceleration clip from last weekend on Hwy 74 in SoCal.
https://youtu.be/csUga5yeE0Y

I'm glad it fixed your drone problem. I'm still on the fence what to do about my MPE, the car's a week old and ordered it with the M performance package. The 7 hour drive home from the dealer was painful after a while sitting mostly around 3k RPMs but playing a little as it was still breaking in. My head was ringing for the day afterwards! I coded the ASD out immediately which definitely helped a lot but the drone is there, just not as loud. Otherwise it sounds awesome and I could probably put up with the slight drone since it's not my DD.

Is there a way to know which version of MPE I have? Any physical differences? I don't get the shakes during cold starts.
Until the new version is released, we all have the same version. That's why I'm surprised some people experience drone while others do not. My dealer replaced mine with stock he's had for months.

It will be loud for a few weeks, then get progressively quieter as it "breaks in".