BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Breaking period service at 700 miles?

02-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #23
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Somebody has a case of the Mondays
Look, I'll try to simplify for you (and maybe even clarify my comment)
There is nothing "magical" about 1,200 miles. If there was, all car manufacturers would be right about there. But nooooo - they aren't.
In fact, from what I can tell (not spending my whole day searching for you, I mean I love you and all and you are always so nice to me but I have my limits), Porsche and MB/AMG don't even do an early break-in service (someone let me know if you see otherwise).
And as we know, BMW only does it on the M cars and has has the 1,200 mile timing for as long as I can remember (hmmm, they actually might have had it on regular cars way back when too? Should have saved my 1995 manual for my 325).
And... short of the rear diff, there is nothing really different about the M2 than a non M car in terms of engine and trans - there was no early service on the DCT for the 135is was there? (seriously asking).
Now, we also know that most engine builders (experts if you will) say to change the oil/diff/trans fluid - FAST. And.. we also know they often say do it more than once.
Of course we are dealing with a consumer product - and you and I are not going to be going back and forth to the dealer like crazy in the first few hundred miles - and heck, our car is under warranty so not really our problem is something goes boom in the first couple of years. So somewhere along the line, BMW came up with 1,200 miles.
And no, they didn't throw a dart on a wall - I'm sure there were reasons behind it (see above... ahem). But it is not some magical number - it can't be. Because it would have changed over the years as tolerances increased and technology changed. But it hasn't. Think marketing has something to do with that? I bet it does - can you imagine how this board would light up if that interval suddenly changed? Heck, I remember when they were not changing the trans (wait, diff? crap, can't remember that far back) on the 1Ms at 1,200 miles and people were going CRAZY!
There - I think I've made some good points, you may or may not agree. That's totally fine, but you could try to be just a "touch" nicer if you respond
If the M2 features the optional M Driver's Package (option 7ME), the V-max limiter is removed during break-in service. Not earlier. BMW will have its reasons for not removing it already at factory, don't you think so ?

Porsche GT boss Andreas Preuninger on Porsche break-in, during a video presentation in Autumn 2015, as reported by someone on Rennlist (http://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/90228...e-rules.html):
"I videoed AP's presentation, and here is what he said:
«I can only tell you how I personally do it, or how we do it at Weissach – for the first 500 kilometres or 300 miles, we don’t drive that car car ever over 5000 rpm, never. From then on, every 200 kilometres, we up the rpms by 500, so we end up at 1300, 1400 kilometres at the threshold before we can really go full throttle, at 800 or 900 miles.»
He then went on that this procedure was really important for the GT3 RS engines given their more «delicate» rings - and how important this break in really is for any of their engines.
Another point - he recommended to realign the car after 1000-1500 miles due to settling - especially since the tires are getting bigger and bigger, and more sensitive to changes. The RS apparently is really sensitive around this.
You figure the head of the GT program would give you the straight goods."
Preuninger also pointed out that people driving their GT4 or GT3 straight from the dealership to the track are hurting their cars.

GT3 or RS ? Follow a break-in procedure ! Maybe not as slow as the manual says, Preuninger pointed out, but low revs for the first 750 miles or so, and then increment them up after. Preuninger confirmed that he really thinks that any Porsche engine should be broken in, but especially high rpm motors.

Now, frankly speaking, I see no reason that wise boss Preuninger would have made this up for marketing reasons in front of a group of die-hard Porsche aficionados. He and the other folks working at Weissach know their business.
      02-12-2017, 12:25 AM   #24
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
If the M2 features the optional M Driver's Package (option 7ME), the V-max limiter is removed during break-in service. Not earlier. BMW will have its reasons for not removing it already at factory, don't you think so ?

Porsche GT boss Andreas Preuninger on Porsche break-in, during a video presentation in Autumn 2015, as reported by someone on Rennlist (http://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/90228...e-rules.html):
"I videoed AP's presentation, and here is what he said:
«I can only tell you how I personally do it, or how we do it at Weissach – for the first 500 kilometres or 300 miles, we don’t drive that car car ever over 5000 rpm, never. From then on, every 200 kilometres, we up the rpms by 500, so we end up at 1300, 1400 kilometres at the threshold before we can really go full throttle, at 800 or 900 miles.»
He then went on that this procedure was really important for the GT3 RS engines given their more «delicate» rings - and how important this break in really is for any of their engines.
Another point - he recommended to realign the car after 1000-1500 miles due to settling - especially since the tires are getting bigger and bigger, and more sensitive to changes. The RS apparently is really sensitive around this.
You figure the head of the GT program would give you the straight goods."
Preuninger also pointed out that people driving their GT4 or GT3 straight from the dealership to the track are hurting their cars.

GT3 or RS ? Follow a break-in procedure ! Maybe not as slow as the manual says, Preuninger pointed out, but low revs for the first 750 miles or so, and then increment them up after. Preuninger confirmed that he really thinks that any Porsche engine should be broken in, but especially high rpm motors.

Now, frankly speaking, I see no reason that wise boss Preuninger would have made this up for marketing reasons in front of a group of die-hard Porsche aficionados. He and the other folks working at Weissach know their business.
So their limit is 5,000 RPM at 300 miles? That seems very different than BMW.

Wait, by 800 miles they are going full throttle? Where did the 1,200 miles go? Why is this so different than BMW? Weird????

and wow, a full alignment? crap, we don't even get that.

Now on a serious note... for all the folks that believe in the BMW engineers setting these limits... Was actually thinking about this today.... When is the auto trans fluid changed in a modern BMW?

It isn't. Because they have decided that sealing it is better and for the first 100K and it works really well - but heck, after that, you are just about guaranteed trans failure. Somebody please explain why/how this is a good thing? The manual says no service is due on the trans, and BMW pays for no service... but at 100K, when it is out of warranty...all hell breaks loose.

But the BMW engineers know best

Seriously, I'm not knocking them - they are very smart people - way smarter than me (and all of us probably), but at the end of the day, they are not the ones writing and/or creating these numbers/limits/service intervals, because as I have pointed out, there is so much more to this.

Last edited by doug_999; 02-12-2017 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0