BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BMS clutch stop = awesome

08-31-2021, 06:12 AM   #243
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Just today I think I realised it wasn't the BMS as first gear stuck again. With my gearbox at least I need to shift laterally with a small amount of force to cleanly then get into the first gear gate.

So today it did the same thing with one shim so don't think it's BMS clutch stop fault.

Still I'm gonna rock one shim and try to shift more decisively into first!
Yes makes sense many here and other BMW forums for E, F and now G series think clutchstop upgrade is worthwhile. Myself included.

Numbers of shims is personal choice.

I tried 3 then 1 and finally opted for 2 shims on my e46 and ran 2 shims on my e91.

As stated before this works even better with CDV delete.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 12:05 AM   #244
memetm2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 MT

If you change your mind and try to remove it, it will be really challenging. I spent hours and had to brake apart.

I took it out because I felt that it's avoiding me fully disengage the clutch with 3 shims. I will probably go for 1 or 2 shims to test.

Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      01-09-2022, 06:11 PM   #245
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Well shoot. My clutch stop arrived today but after reading this thread, I’m quite hesitant to install it.

I had the BMS clutch stop installed (w/3 shims) on my previous F80 M3. While I did like that it removed the dead space, I do recall having a harder time with smooth shifts and occasional grinding while shifting.

This time around, I planned on installing it with 2 shims on my M2C. However, it seems there’s still a decent amount of uncertainty around long term damage/wear caused by this mod. Some seem to report that their issues with gear grinding and such persisted after removing the clutch stop, eliminating the stop as the culprit. However, I’m still concerned the clutch stop may have been the culprit and the damage it caused now persists, even after it’s been uninstalled.

I suppose it comes down to the amount of risk tolerance you’re comfortable with. Admittedly, my tolerance is pretty low. So I now fear this is mod will remain in its packaging inside my tool bin.

Last edited by DadVibes; 01-09-2022 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #246
ElGuaco
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Just ordered one. I'm a new M2 owner and the clutch is such a different feel and distance from an STI, didn't expect it to be so light and deep when fully depressed.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 11:39 AM   #247
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
i've had BMS clutch stop installed in my M2C for about 6 months now...but only a couple hundred miles of actual driving due to winter time in the DC area...however, i've had no issues with the clutch stop interfering with my shifting. i DO like the shorter travel with it installed.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #248
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

Anyone here on their second one clutch stop yet? What you guys feel when its wearing out?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 03:38 PM   #249
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

I had the BMS clutch stop installed, absolutely loved it at first, but eventually started having shifting issues. I started out with 3 shims, then 2, then finally 1.
I was consistently having a hard time getting into 2nd during WOT, even with 1 shim. Felt as if 2nd was locked out.

So, I got rid of the clutch stop completely and haven't had an issue getting into 2nd since.

Luckily, my shifting issues didn't persist after removal, albeit slightly notchy, but I think that's normal. Of course this is all anecdotal evidence, YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 02:04 AM   #250
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

So assuming you're correct, that means we have to step on the clutch all the way back for the shifting to be as smooth as possible? Is it possible that the split second you've spent going all the way back is what's causing that improved result? Bec for me if I'm shifting fast, it's less cooperative then when I'm taking my time.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 03:11 PM   #251
KR3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Can someone post a pic of where the part is and which part of the carpeting to pull away?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 03:13 PM   #252
KR3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuaco View Post
Just ordered one. I'm a new M2 owner and the clutch is such a different feel and distance from an STI, didn't expect it to be so light and deep when fully depressed.
Same situation here. I hated the STI clutch.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 03:20 PM   #253
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadVibes View Post
However, it seems there’s still a decent amount of uncertainty around long term damage/wear caused by this mod.
I've used a clutch stop in all my manual BMWs for the last 27 years with no premature clutch wear.

According to the late Ron Stygar: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/dri...djustment.html, he got the tip from a 1977 book "Turner & Miles Winning Autocross Solo II Competition" and conjectures he first installed a clutch stop in his 1979 320is.

But like anything YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 01:43 AM   #254
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

I wonder why we can't get a clear definite answer w/ regards to this. Did the BMW engineers really meant for their clutches to be THAT deep? It's been like this for yeeeears, and they haven't made any changes. Rumors before that the F87 would be the last MT (well now we know it isn't)... but MTs are almost out and they still BMW have not done anything. They could have included a bump stop themselves. I wonder if that new one is still like that? I just can't imagine that a clutch would need to be that deep in order to change gears.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 09:34 AM   #255
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
I wonder why we can't get a clear definite answer w/ regards to this. Did the BMW engineers really meant for their clutches to be THAT deep? It's been like this for yeeeears, and they haven't made any changes. Rumors before that the F87 would be the last MT (well now we know it isn't)... but MTs are almost out and they still BMW have not done anything. They could have included a bump stop themselves. I wonder if that new one is still like that? I just can't imagine that a clutch would need to be that deep in order to change gears.
Maybe it's by design to force you to put the clutch all the way to the floor in order to get it to properly engage. Or maybe it's by design to cause you to prematurely wear out your clutch/synchro's to make more money for their service dept's. Like crank hub failures, the information will go with them to their graves.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 10:00 PM   #256
fiveightandten
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 M235, E36 M3, E30 325, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Bumping this thread back up again. It's a design change for sure, and we may never know why. I've speculated that due to the manual transmission take rate on modern BMWs, they just didn't put the R&D into refining the design past a certain point. When only 2%, 3%, or 5% of buyers are opting for the manual, why would they?

I have an E30, E36, E46, E90, and F22 M235i. The M235i, by far, has the longest clutch pedal travel of any of them. Driving it back to back with the E90 it's almost comical, and those cars were built a few years apart from each other. They're all about the same, except for the F22.

Anyways...Personally, I don't really trust clutch stops, so I've reluctantly left my pedal travel stock. But I'll happily complain about it on the internet.
Appreciate 0