BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheels Stolen!

05-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #45
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Hopefully you mean the monkeys that worked on your car.

Who you callin' 'monkey' monkey? What's your point? Stuff doesnt break?
Wheel Locks Don't Break

Unless You Break Them.

Next /
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #46
Dblaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

I'm so sorry to hear this. Pretty much my nightmare scenario right there.

Those wheels are so freaking nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #47
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Sorry to hear this. I grew up in South Florida and have had a car burglarized, it's a lousy feeling. But thanks for posting - there will be people, myself included, buying wheel locks, thinking twice about parking patterns, and being more careful thanks to your post. Not much of a silver lining, I know.
It was different back then but in the '70s and '80s my dad would not take us into Homestead, Cutler Ridge, or Miami without carrying.
Thieves who prepared the wheel theft bring the BMW wheel lock keys set with them. It just takes some trial and error to find the BMW key that fits.

To make thug life a little more complicated: leave a regular bolt or two between the BMW wheel lock bolt and the McGard wheel lock bolt. And don't keep the wheel lock keys (BMW key + McGard key) together at the same spot inside the car (+ remember where you hid those keys).

If thieves are determined to get your wheels, those will definitely be gone, but they'll need more time and will make more noise. Amateur thieves will leave the scene.

Here's the additional wheel lock set on my car: 27226SUB ('Black Edition' = black head) (M14x1.25). Perfect fit. And I believe to have read someday that the BMW wheel locks are made by McGard.

05-26-2018, 10:45 PM   #48
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

I’d say you’re exactly right, Artemis. The color of the plastic parts tray in the OEM BMW Wheel Bolt Locks is white, but it looks like the stamped number in the upper left corner is the same: 07019Z. I wonder if all the available key designs are the same too?

Appreciate 1
      05-26-2018, 11:16 PM   #49
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
I’d say you’re exactly right, Artemis. The color of the plastic parts tray in the OEM BMW Wheel Bolt Locks is white, but it looks like the stamped number in the upper left corner is the same: 07019Z. I wonder if all the available key designs are the same too?
[PICTURE]
The McGard wheel lock key has a computer generated design, allowing millions of possibilities. With each kit comes a unique code. If you ever lose the key, McGard can make you a new one on the basis of your code. So it could be that somewhere someone in the world got exactly the same key as yours, but it's unlikely.

BMW wheel lock keys, on the other hand: each BMW with wheel lock bolts got 1 key out of a set of XX keys. This allows dealers to remove a wheel of your BMW without even using your key. However, the downside of this: if thieves get their hands on that BMW key set, they can easily remove each BMW wheel lock bolt.

That's why it's wise to add 'your own' wheel lock bolt as additional protection: thieves can't use the BMW key set to easily remove those bolts. They need to use tools and more time to remove those.
      05-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #50
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
No wheels locks. I'm kicking myself over not having bought any before this. In hindsight it seems like pretty bad oversight on my part.

And yes, the rear rotors are touching the ground.
Call me paranoid...but I also fitted 2 sets of wheel locks...1x OEM from BMW (standard on the M2) and 1x aftermarket (McGard)... I would kick myself also if did happen to me without taking any security measures. Recently I once forgot to lock my M2 and the next morning I found out people took some stuff out of it. I was finding myself such an idiot...but learn from it and don't make the same mistake...that's all you can do.

Last edited by Franzino; 05-27-2018 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #51
M Bandit
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 and 2011 E90 M3

Garage List
Thanks for the info on these Artemis - just purchased some as mine came without the locks.

Also very sorry OP that this happened. Shit people out there I'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 07:00 PM   #52
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
It'll get sorted out. Hopefully this get people thinking about wheels locks, or looking at their own parking situation.

Yeah, S. Fla sucks as far as cars getting burglarized. About 11 years ago I had my S2000 top ripped open and they tried to take my seats (frequently stolen item in this model), but they must have gotten spooked and took off. Still had to replace the top. At least that time, I was able to drive the car to get it repaired. This time, it was a total pain in the ass, and the tow truck driver was not the easiest guy to deal with.

I should have known better and will take measures to prevent this from happening again. Was pretty frustrated yesterday, but today just trying to forget about it and spend some time with the family.

Considering 763M vs. 437M wheels. Anybody know where I can get the best price?
Try Sun Motors BMW in PA. They usually have a great price. I think there is also a set of stock wheels for sale in the members classified.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 07:05 AM   #53
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
I had a friend who bought 6 different sets of locking lug nuts, mixed them up and installed them randomly on all the wheels, so an inexperienced thief would get frustrated and go away to find an easier mark.
I didn't go that far, but I do have two different wheel locks on mine. I figure if a thief wants my wheels, they're really going to have to work for them.
Thanks for narrowing that down.. which two... . On the way to Baltimore ..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 07:12 AM   #54
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGM2 View Post
Ask insurance to cut the check directly to you, they usually will. That way you can at least try to upgrade the wheels like some previous posters mentioned. The 437 wheels and the 763 cost about the same BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Sorry to hear this. I grew up in South Florida and have had a car burglarized, it's a lousy feeling. But thanks for posting - there will be people, myself included, buying wheel locks, thinking twice about parking patterns, and being more careful thanks to your post. Not much of a silver lining, I know.
True story ...

Quote:

It'll get sorted out. Hopefully this get people thinking about wheels locks, or looking at their own parking situation.

Yeah, S. Fla sucks as far as cars getting burglarized. About 11 years ago I had my S2000 top ripped open and they tried to take my seats (frequently stolen item in this model), but they must have gotten spooked and took off. Still had to replace the top. At least that time, I was able to drive the car to get it repaired. This time, it was a total pain in the ass, and the tow truck driver was not the easiest guy to deal with.

I should have known better and will take measures to prevent this from happening again. Was pretty frustrated yesterday, but today just trying to forget about it and spend some time with the family.

Considering 763M vs. 437M wheels. Anybody know where I can get the best price?
Hopefully there is no damage to your car other than perhaps rotors and the wheels and tires. Definitely ask your insurer to pay you directly so you can shop for wheels and tires on your own.

Good luck and it looks like wheel locks are a necessory in your area. That sucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 07:41 AM   #55
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Thanks for narrowing that down.. which two... . On the way to Baltimore ..
I ordered a set of these from eBay for $32.99

along with a set of these BMW OEM wheel locks 36-13-6-776-076 for $42.92 with free shipping from Amazon

and this $8 pouch to keep the wheel lock keys in which I have hidden in the car

05-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #56
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

That's a bummer. I have had it happen to me before. Walked out in the morning to my car in the driveway, it was early in the morning so it was dark out, but the car looked real low to me. When I saw what happened I had to pinch myself to make sure that I was not dreaming. The car was even parked against wall with only 6in of clearance. I am still not sure how they did it. But it is true about the oversized socket that they use. And NEVER get OEM wheel locks. There are only so many combinations and they sell master sets online. Basically useless.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 01:36 PM   #57
Rodan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 6MT LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
That's a bummer. I have had it happen to me before. Walked out in the morning to my car in the driveway, it was early in the morning so it was dark out, but the car looked real low to me. When I saw what happened I had to pinch myself to make sure that I was not dreaming. The car was even parked against wall with only 6in of clearance. I am still not sure how they did it. But it is true about the oversized socket that they use. And NEVER get OEM wheel locks. There are only so many combinations and they sell master sets online. Basically useless.

I hear you. I haven't stopped kicking myself for not having wheel locks in the first place. The only thing I can come up with is I picked up the car at the M Performance Center in Greenville, SC and I just completely forgot. Wheel locks never came up with my salesperson during the car purchase and I just must have forgotten about it. The whole thing has been a real hassle so far. The process to get my car back on the road is moving slowly.

Definitely thinking of 2 types of wheel locks. Trying to figure out where I can get these black McGard ones in the states: 27226SUB. Only seen the chrome ones so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #58
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Recently I once forgot to lock my M2 and the next morning I found out people took some stuff out of it. I was finding myself such an idiot...but learn from it and don't make the same mistake...that's all you can do.
If you download the bmw connected app (it's free) you can see if your car is locked or open and remotely lock/unlock it from your phone or tablet anywhere in the world. I make sure to check it twice a day to ensure everything is closed and locked and I don't even have to leave my desk or get out of bed.

Appreciate 1
      05-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #59
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
If you download the bmw connected app (it's free) you can see if your car is locked or open and remotely lock/unlock it from your phone or tablet anywhere in the world. I make sure to check it twice a day to ensure everything is closed and locked and I don't even have to leave my desk or get out of bed.
[PICTURES]
Yes, but this app is not offered in Canada...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #60
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Seriously? That's lame
      05-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #61
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Seriously? That's lame
Yup
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #62
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Too bad, I check the app all the time. And if someone steals the car it will give the police the current location.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #63
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
[PICTURE]
Yeah but why doesn't it check to see if it has wheels on?

Last edited by akkando; 05-30-2018 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2018, 06:39 PM   #64
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Yeah but why doesn't it check to see if it has wheels on?
If the alarm was set, the motion detector should have gone off and sounded the alarm.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #65
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
If the alarm was set, the motion detector should have gone off and sounded the alarm.
Doesnt the alarm set automatically when you lock the doors?
      05-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #66
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
I hear you. I haven't stopped kicking myself for not having wheel locks in the first place. The only thing I can come up with is I picked up the car at the M Performance Center in Greenville, SC and I just completely forgot. Wheel locks never came up with my salesperson during the car purchase and I just must have forgotten about it. The whole thing has been a real hassle so far. The process to get my car back on the road is moving slowly.

Definitely thinking of 2 types of wheel locks. Trying to figure out where I can get these black McGard ones in the states: 27226SUB. Only seen the chrome ones so far.
I picked my car up at the Performance center this year also, and never thought to ask my SA about wheel locks. I naively assumed the M2 wheels just came with them. My previous two cars, the Focus RS and M235i had them, but those cars were bought off the lot and not ordered by me. After reading this thread more, I think I will invest in some aftermarket locks vs. the OEM ones I have from my M235i.

One positive for me is, my car is always garaged when at home, my work has cameras everywhere, and you can't even get in unless you work there or are a contractor.

Good luck, and I hope you can get back on the road soon.
Appreciate 0