BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Is this a good deal?

10-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
im2
Rep
Drives: M2/Jeep Overland

Is this a good deal?

Hi all,

Im looking at going from a 2013 Camaro ZL1 to an M2 or possibly Cayman, i looked at this M2 the other day and really fell in love tho. Is this a good deal? Would you look for something with lower miles or just go new? this is the only one im finding in the area. this would be my summer only car, driven 3-4 days/week. i have a test drive on monday. thanks

https://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/4958/2016-bmw-m2
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Dannydraws
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

That is a very good deal, however with 24k miles and in blue, it was almost certainly a press car. And we all know the press goes ham on cars, it's their job. So just be weary of that, worth checking out though!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

I don't know how Dannydraws knows this is a press car, but if it is, avoid it like the plague because it has been mistreated all of its life. Check the national listing sources for comparisons on pricing; used M2s are few and far between, but I've seen '16s with far lower mileage in this price range. On this car, the tires will give you a clue; with the tire life some guys have been reporting, does this one have new tires? Also, is it worth spending $4-8K more to order exactly the car you want with the full (instead of half) warranty?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

you need like additional 6500 to order an M2 .
I think it is over priced because of the mileage
remember you need 800 dollars to transfer maintenance plan, the good thing is on 2016 model year it is still 4 years and includes brakes and clutch " double check on that with bmw dealer"
I just received my 2018 M2 and now maintenance is 3 years and had to pay 625 to cover clutch and brakes .
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
im2
Rep

so i got the carfax, it was sold from a local dealer to a "personal" local registration. so i would assume this as not a press car? the salesman at the consignment lot has 2 cars from the owner selling this one. this and a maserati ghibli. i just looked at what it would be to order a new M2 (build code: DGLWDVW8) it it priced out at $55600. can i just walk into any dealership and order it? i thought these were unobtanium? id much rather pay another $6000 for something brand new. why am i seeing all these m2s on autotrader with miles for upper $50s low $60s when i cant even build one to that cost?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep

the M2 market was very hot , it is cooling off , but the used market takes time to adjust
so yes you can order one , but probably have to call multiple dealers to find allocation and will wait for 3-4 months
also some used cars listed have dct which is extra 3k , and may be M performance exhaust plus other M parts so their starting MSRP was higher
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
im2
Rep

makes sense, thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #8
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
you need like additional 6500 to order an M2 .
I think it is over priced because of the mileage
remember you need 800 dollars to transfer maintenance plan, the good thing is on 2016 model year it is still 4 years and includes brakes and clutch " double check on that with bmw dealer"
I just received my 2018 M2 and now maintenance is 3 years and had to pay 625 to cover clutch and brakes .

I was thinking about adding that Ultimate care+ also. But do you really think the brakes and clutch will wear out within the 3 years 36K?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
I was thinking about adding that Ultimate care+ also. But do you really think the brakes and clutch will wear out within the 3 years 36K?
The finance manager tried really hard to sell me on this shit and got pissed when I wasn't biting. He leveraged the fact that this was my first M car and tried hard to convince me that all his M cars had needed these parts replaced well before that time.

I wasn't convinced. Never had to replace these parts on my previous (cheaper) performance vehicles.

We'll see.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #10
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep

I did it for peace of mind. To me with brakes and clutch, if you have a problem, they can always blame it on your driving style etc, so I thought I will buy piece of mind. Also I think 600 is reasonable price, even replacing brake pads in the front which is very likely before 36 k miles is probably few hundred dollars, so I'll get most of the money back
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
fvfvsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 | '22 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
The finance manager tried really hard to sell me on this shit and got pissed when I wasn't biting. He leveraged the fact that this was my first M car and tried hard to convince me that all his M cars had needed these parts replaced well before that time.

I wasn't convinced. Never had to replace these parts on my previous (cheaper) performance vehicles.

We'll see.
Aaaah. the F&I office. This is where I typically become an a-hole in the buying process. I find that telling the Finance manager that you'll probably just abandon the current car in the desert and buy another one just like it when the clutch wears out will stop them from asking about maintenance add-ons and "insurance"
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #12
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

I always start the conversation with the F&I guy by saying, "I don't want to be rude, and I know it's part of your job, but I've reviewed all the extras and supplemental warranties you offer and I either don't need them or can get them for much less elsewhere - so let's just get to the final paperwork." If he doesn't reach for the papers and hand me a pen, I say, "OK, there's no deal here" and walk out of his office. It works every time.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2017, 12:04 AM   #13
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Maybe I'm just more low key, but I've not had sales people or finance people get all high pressure on me.

I realize everybody got a job to do, some rely heavily on commissions... we all gotta earn.
So present what you need to present. I'll listen. I know what I want, what I need. I feel no reason to disrespect anyone who is just doing their job.
Step over the line & disrespect me & you'll hear about it. But, never had that happen.

I'm usually conversational throughout the process. Works for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
fvfvsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 | '22 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Maybe I'm just more low key, but I've not had sales people or finance people get all high pressure on me.

I realize everybody got a job to do, some rely heavily on commissions... we all gotta earn.
So present what you need to present. I'll listen. I know what I want, what I need. I feel no reason to disrespect anyone who is just doing their job.
Step over the line & disrespect me & you'll hear about it. But, never had that happen.

I'm usually conversational throughout the process. Works for me.
More often than not, things go pretty smoothly for me - but in the 20+ car deals I've done, a few times I've gotten a super pushy, high pressure F&I manager in the mix that understands nothing but equal and opposite force. I'm always happy to listen to their offer and negotiate if there's something they're selling that I want. I certainly appreciate the ones who don't push things too far.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #15
im2
Rep

thanks everyone, i went to local dealer, salesman said he has one allocation available for q1 and will likely get one for q2. i was asking about q2 for the european delivery so its nicer weather. it would be a very cool trip, also would mean id get very little time with my new m2 before winter next year. my profession doesn't really lend itself to me taking two weeks off either. i typically take 2 days a year so 8 in one month for europe may be a challenge. tough decisions. at least there arent 200 ways to configure the thing like with the caymans. i got a chance to look at some of the other colors and im pretty convinced that the lbb is where its at although the grey probably looks pretty sharp too
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #16
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2 View Post
thanks everyone, i went to local dealer, salesman said he has one allocation available for q1 and will likely get one for q2. i was asking about q2 for the european delivery so its nicer weather. it would be a very cool trip, also would mean id get very little time with my new m2 before winter next year. my profession doesn't really lend itself to me taking two weeks off either. i typically take 2 days a year so 8 in one month for europe may be a challenge. tough decisions. at least there arent 200 ways to configure the thing like with the caymans. i got a chance to look at some of the other colors and im pretty convinced that the lbb is where its at although the grey probably looks pretty sharp too
If you can do European delivery do it. I know you won't regret it those extra 6 days off. Gray looks mean, lbb looks gorgeous, black looks good and mean when clean, and white is handsome if you add some pieces of contrast.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #17
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2 View Post
at least there arent 200 ways to configure the thing like with the caymans. i got a chance to look at some of the other colors and im pretty convinced that the lbb is where its at although the grey probably looks pretty sharp too
I believe that is the most appealing part of the M2, it is what it is and doesn't try to be anything else. Less is more leads to a very simple formula and equates to a very good car at the correct price point. I am afraid this may be lost moving forward. Those enticing options are going to be hard to pass up for many and dreams of a Cayman may become more of a reality.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #18
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannydraws View Post
That is a very good deal, however with 24k miles and in blue, it was almost certainly a press car. And we all know the press goes ham on cars, it's their job. So just be weary of that, worth checking out though!
Really? I picked up my car less than a year ago and have 19,000 miles ago. He should look at the Carfax and see if it was a factory owned car but there are a fair amount of cars that are driven daily.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #19
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi, F87 M2 AW EXEC

I was scared to see what the market looks like befause I was one of the first to get one in my area in April 2016.. I have 20k on my car now and want to sell it without losing a lot of money on it, I want to sell to hopefully get the M2 CS as I'm first up. Such a fun car now I'm tossing the idea of trying the DCT in it. If not I'm going to get an LCI M2
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #20
im2
Rep

it was a personal vehicle, apparently the guy daily drove it and took it to a couple cars and coffee i found out from an organizer this weekend. i told the dealership the only way i would consider the used m2 is if it was priced closer to $45k because i can get one brand new for $53k with more warranty and 0mi. i think im going to take the ED as my wife seemed more excited about that option. its always good to have her on board. it would also be close to my bday. . . .so theres that.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
I always start the conversation with the F&I guy by saying, "I don't want to be rude, and I know it's part of your job, but I've reviewed all the extras and supplemental warranties you offer and I either don't need them or can get them for much less elsewhere - so let's just get to the final paperwork." If he doesn't reach for the papers and hand me a pen, I say, "OK, there's no deal here" and walk out of his office. It works every time.
# winning !
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #22
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teombe View Post
Aaaah. the F&I office. This is where I typically become an a-hole in the buying process. I find that telling the Finance manager that you'll probably just abandon the current car in the desert and buy another one just like it when the clutch wears out will stop them from asking about maintenance add-ons and "insurance"
You'll probably have to repeat it at least 3x but yeah that's a good strategy as well !
Appreciate 0