Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
First, I guarantee the people responsible for M Performance parts have sales goals. They care A LOT if M Performance products sell or not.

Also, there is an extremely important goal in sales... "Accessorize the sale." You want to accessorize the products being sold as much as possible. This increases the goal of making more profit per transaction.

I'm a sales manager... When I see one of my salespeople failing to accessorize the sale, I consider it "clerking" instead of selling. A successful salesperson literally displays their skills and competency by adding accessories.
And this is why I don't understand (or care to be around) most sales people.

I don't need someone pushing me incessantly so they can "accessorize" my business - I know what I want and need, thanks anyway.
I can tell you don't understand sales. A good salesperson doesn't push incessantly; they display the potential value in what they're selling.

That being said... I didn't want any accessories, warranties, or service plans when I bought my F30. Because I know the sales mentality I approached it as follows.

I had all my stuff together when I was ready to buy. I didn't need the salesperson to so much as walk away from his desk. I already did my research as to exactly what I wanted and had competitive offers in writing. I didn't even need to talk about financing. I showed up on the last day of the month (and quarter, and year coincidentally (it was New Years Eve)). This relayed a clear message to the salesperson... I was ready to be closed and didn't need to be sold. We had a brief discussion over about $125 of dealer fees and we had a deal. He then passed me to an assistant write up my special order.

Moral of the story? Make it super quick and easy for the salesperson to get a sale and move on. This way they're more-willing to; and feel better about making a skinny deal.

06-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #68
dmboone25
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP/DUC M1200S

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I can tell you don't understand sales. A good salesperson doesn't push incessantly; they display the potential value in what they're selling.

That being said... I didn't want any accessories, warranties, or service plans when I bought my F30. Because I know the sales mentality I approached it as follows.

I had all my stuff together when I was ready to buy. I didn't need the salesperson to so much as walk away from his desk. I already did my research as to exactly what I wanted and had competitive offers in writing. I didn't even need to talk about financing. I showed up on the last day of the month (and quarter, and year coincidentally (it was New Years Eve)). This relayed a clear message to the salesperson... I was ready to be closed and didn't need to be sold. We had a brief discussion over about $125 of dealer fees and we had a deal. He then passed me to an assistant write up my special order.

Moral of the story? Make it super quick and easy for the salesperson to get a sale and move on. This way they're more-willing to; and feel better about making a skinny deal.
Oh I understand sales plenty well - and how the prices of products are artificially higher than they need to be so we can pay people commission to “accessorize”...

I deal with it everyday in my professional life - the “eat what you kill” mentality and how it creates all sorts of problems for companies. But that’s another conversation.
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT (retired by a drunk driver)
Appreciate 1
Poochie434.00

06-19-2018, 11:57 PM   #69
Karmic Man
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

The roof is a pretty useless option for most buyers at the moment when you need a few guys doing invasive work on the car and then have to pay them commensurately for the 10 hours+ work that they did....

Should have made it standard on the M2C and charge an extra...say 2k on top
Appreciate 4
3tekcorps388.00
Poochie434.00
qnet271.50

06-20-2018, 12:17 AM   #70
3tekcorps
Captain
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:

Why don't you snag an M2 Comp at invoice towards the end of this month and have the roof swapped out. Like they say sales "money talks, bullshit walks"
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 01:06 AM   #71
mastermav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 F82

Am I crazy for ordering M4 with moonroof instead of free carbon roof?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:36 AM   #72
3tekcorps
Captain
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermav View Post
Possibly. Do you really want that moonroof bad?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #73
qnet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 Kia Soul, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermav View Post
Not if that's what you really wanted.
Appreciate 0