BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheels Stolen!

06-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #89
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
I might have the OEM wheels off my M2 up for sale soon.... :P
Love your username.

Reportedly seen on the wall of a public restroom, by the urinals:

"We Aim to Please, You Aim too, Please"
      06-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #90
ipeefreely
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM, 2024 M2, 2022 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Love your username.

Reportedly seen on the wall of a public restroom, by the urinals:

"We Aim to Please, You Aim too, Please"
lol thanks
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #91
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Resurrecting this thread because I just got off the phone with McGard customer service and there's a question I couldn't seem to get an answer for.

Here in the USA they sell the McGard 27226 model wheel locks, same as the BMW OEM, for the M2. But in Europe they also sell the higher-security 27226SL model which features the rotating sleeve, which means you can't just torque one off because the outer ring just spins freely. For whatever reason, you cannot buy the 27226SL here in the USA - we only get the non-rotating sleeve version. And you can have a Euro/UK seller ship the 27226SL here, of course, but McGard warned me that if I ever needed a replacement key or other service I would not be able to get it as a USA buyer.

There has to be a good reason for this, why the Euro market would get what McGard themselves call the "ultra-high security" version of the product but it's not available in the USA.

May have to look at Gorilla Guard locks or something similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #92
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Resurrecting this thread because I just got off the phone with McGard customer service and there's a question I couldn't seem to get an answer for.

Here in the USA they sell the McGard 27226 model wheel locks, same as the BMW OEM, for the M2. But in Europe they also sell the higher-security 27226SL model which features the rotating sleeve, which means you can't just torque one off because the outer ring just spins freely. For whatever reason, you cannot buy the 27226SL here in the USA - we only get the non-rotating sleeve version. And you can have a Euro/UK seller ship the 27226SL here, of course, but McGard warned me that if I ever needed a replacement key or other service I would not be able to get it as a USA buyer.

There has to be a good reason for this, why the Euro market would get what McGard themselves call the "ultra-high security" version of the product but it's not available in the USA.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but I bought the BMW OEM Locking Wheel Bolts and they have the rotating sleeve. They're matte black as well, which sort of matches the OEM wheel bolts.

If you want the rotating sleeve, just buy the BMW ones. Buy them from eBay or Sun Motors and I'm sure you'll get a good price, and you'll get the little card wit the key number on it because it's a BMW part.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #93
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but I bought the BMW OEM Locking Wheel Bolts and they have the rotating sleeve. They're matte black as well, which sort of matches the OEM wheel bolts.

If you want the rotating sleeve, just buy the BMW ones. Buy them from eBay or Sun Motors and I'm sure you'll get a good price, and you'll get the little card wit the key number on it because it's a BMW part.
Excellent, thank you. I think I'm misinterpreting other posts that indicated the 27226 were equivalent to BMW OEM, which was then reinforced by the call to McGard who told me that these do not feature the rotating sleeve. Sounds like either those McGard 27226 are not the same as the BMW OEM or McGard customer service gave me bad info. Thanks again.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #94
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Ouch, sorry that this happened.

In the daylight too??
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #95
MiStR StEvO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Quote:

How will this work if you have 12mm spacers? Do they have an extended version?
2018 LBB M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #96
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Had to have my other car towed yesterday. Guy said there isn't a wheel lock he can't remove. And if he needs to remove a wheel for some reason and you don't have the key he charges $5/wheel. Thinks it fair b/c he had to buy the key set. And if those don't fit for some reason he has a socket with wires in it, the kind for removing rounded nut that will take them off.

If a pro wants your wheels they'll take them.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #97
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiStR StEvO View Post
Short answer is... it won't. I did think about this, but I don't currently have any plan to get spacers. If I do, I'll probably go with the BMW option with the splined key with a hole in the middle. Those are available in a longer length.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
Al1969529.50
      07-20-2018, 04:45 AM   #98
StephanieDiane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 M2

I have two locks per wheel. Do I look like a crazy person? Yes.
Will it ultimately stop someone from stealing wheels? Maybe not. But the cost for trying the locks is minimal.
I was at the dealer last week and someone had stolen the wheels from a car on their own lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 04:00 PM   #99
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
It's kind of like having an alarm on your house. It's a deterrent really, not a failsafe measure but will hopefully make the thief pass your car and look for an easier opportunity.
      07-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #100
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
It's kind of like having an alarm on your house. It's a deterrent really, not a failsafe measure but will hopefully make the thief pass your car and look for an easier opportunity.
Yeah, I get the whole "locks are to keep honest folks out" thought process but let's face it anyone looking to steal a set of wheels who is working with a buddy or two and already carrying 4 cinder blocks and two jacks isn't even going to pause b/c a person has a wheel lock. Heck they came prepared for that b/c any wheel worth stealing probably has a lock on it more often than not. In fact they may just wait for the owner to come out just to see the look on their face, when they mouth ... but I had wheel lock.

I've used them in the past and they were more of a PITA to me than any thief.

ring, ring...yes...hi joe's service station, do you have the wheel lock in the glove box...well, no that would defeat the point don't you think...well we can't finish inspecting the car today...doh!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #101
MiStR StEvO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Short answer is... it won't. I did think about this, but I don't currently have any plan to get spacers. If I do, I'll probably go with the BMW option with the splined key with a hole in the middle. Those are available in a longer length.
I've looked but can't find the extended ones from BMW. They have many different models
2018 LBB M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #102
sclui56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E86, IS-F, G42, G87

Just wanted to post how easily the BMW locks can be extracted. I was removing my tires off the E86 and the guy who did the last patch torqued the heck out of things. I didn't have my impact and did it by using my breaker bar, well, I managed to shear off the "teeth" from the key.

Ended up paying a shop, they have the Snap-On extractors and it took the guy no more than few minutes from start to finish.

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 08:31 PM   #103
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Nezil, what is the part number for the BMW OEM locks you got with the rotating sleeves? Since our exchange, I contacted a local dealer, got the part number for the BMW OEM locks with the rotating sleeves, ordered that exact item on eBay from a USA seller and...no rotating sleeves. The part number that BMW lists is 36136792851, and that's exactly what I ordered, but I got exactly what the McGard rep warned me about, BMW OEM locks with no rotating sleeves. I can still use these, and just have more than one lock per wheel, but I'd still like to figure out where I'm going wrong here and figure out which part number has the rotating sleeves. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 09:06 PM   #104
sclui56
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nezil, what is the part number for the BMW OEM locks you got with the rotating sleeves? Since our exchange, I contacted a local dealer, got the part number for the BMW OEM locks with the rotating sleeves, ordered that exact item on eBay from a USA seller and...no rotating sleeves. The part number that BMW lists is 36136792851, and that's exactly what I ordered, but I got exactly what the McGard rep warned me about, BMW OEM locks with no rotating sleeves. I can still use these, and just have more than one lock per wheel, but I'd still like to figure out where I'm going wrong here and figure out which part number has the rotating sleeves. TIA.
Can you post a pic? This is what Sun Motors listed for the ones with the sleeve.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-WHEEL-L...72.m2749.l2649
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 10:00 PM   #105
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclui56 View Post
Can you post a pic? This is what Sun Motors listed for the ones with the sleeve.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-WHEEL-L...72.m2749.l2649
My apologies, looks like I typed too quickly. The ones I received do in fact have the rotating sleeves, I just didn't realize it because the sleeves are so tight that it takes a lot of force to make them move. I've been able to loosen one of them enough to see it rotate, and though I can't get the others unstuck (if that's what it is) I'm sure that they would rotate if someone hammered a nut over the outside and put some leverage on them. So they'd do what they're designed to do, even if I can't get them all to rotate in my hands. I think my expectation was different, which led to the premature and incorrect conclusion. Again, apologies and thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 11:10 PM   #106
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
My apologies, looks like I typed too quickly. The ones I received do in fact have the rotating sleeves, I just didn't realize it because the sleeves are so tight that it takes a lot of force to make them move. I've been able to loosen one of them enough to see it rotate, and though I can't get the others unstuck (if that's what it is) I'm sure that they would rotate if someone hammered a nut over the outside and put some leverage on them. So they'd do what they're designed to do, even if I can't get them all to rotate in my hands. I think my expectation was different, which led to the premature and incorrect conclusion. Again, apologies and thanks for the help.
Glad you got it worked it. Just in case you still need it, the part number for the set I bought was 36 13 6 792 851.

I believe that part has been replaced with a newer version, perhaps without the rotating sleeves, but this is what I ordered, and it has sleeves and works well.

Appreciate 1
DanG10447.00
      07-28-2018, 11:42 PM   #107
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I had my dealer install these at time of delivery. It was nice that they did it for free.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #108
MiStR StEvO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyone know the part number to the extended ones BMW has that would work with 12mm spacers?
2018 LBB M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 10:57 PM   #109
sclui56
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Anyone know the part number to the extended ones BMW has that would work with 12mm spacers?
Did you check out these from ECS?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...901ecs38b3~ec/

I don't think you really want the BMW type after seeing the pix I posted above.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 11:00 PM   #110
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclui56 View Post
Did you check out these from ECS?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...901ecs38b3~ec/

I don't think you really want the BMW type after seeing the pix I posted above.
The ones you posted broken aren't the BMW type. They're BMS I believe. I thought about getting a set of these, but won't be now. The main advantage with the BMW ones is that they are available in longer lengths to deal with spacers.

Appreciate 0