BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Any regrets among M2 owners on here?

08-07-2016, 12:42 AM   #89
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
solid car.

My GTS definitely is a more 'raw' car than a 'S', but this too has been debated on the reenlist forums, with some saying it's not that much different a suspension than a S, and others disagreeing. I can tell you this for sure: The GTS brakes are better than the S and the steering feel in better too. The suspension is supposed to be tuned differently-- somewhere in theory between a GT3 and S (probably closer to the S).

But having said all that, your review was very helpful b/c it confirms the 'hype' so to speak about the M2 from everywhere that I've read.........it really does seem like a terrific value for what you're getting performance wise, and it also appears to be an easier car to drive at or near its limit than any 997.2, although Nacho would seem to disagree ; )
Has no one offered to let you drive their m2
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 02:20 AM   #90
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucErDoc View Post
Out of curiosity, what transmission do you have in your M2?
6MT

The Cayman GTS had PDK
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 02:32 AM   #91
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
The M2 has better steering input and turn in than your Cayman GTS??

Wow-- that is high price indeed.

In fact, the 981 Cayman GTS is one of the cars I'm considering in a couple of years-- depending on used market availability by then.
Everyone I know who's had one loves/loved it. I know a guy who moved up to the GT4 and said he actually misses his GTS, but didn't say why.

Your review helps me a lot in that I won't be able to drive and enjoy the M2 as much as I would like until I leave Lafayette and move back (hopefully) to California. Our roads are seriously awful here and I don't want long trips to New Orleans to feel like jarring experiences, like they did in my 997.2 GTS.

People do not believe me in general, but driven the cars on a very short time base including also the 1M, the Cayman GTS, although being a very fine sports car, its weakest point is the steering.

If you do read al the reviews on the GTS thorouglly it is evident the steering is most complained about.

Like I said before; why has Porsche given the 718 a 10% faster steering rack?

Rhetorical question
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 04:18 AM   #92
NachoM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Alpine White

In my case I am dealing with a mechanical steering on the 997.2 vs a new electrical steering on the M2.
Sorry...but the one on the 997.2 is significantly more informative. I am not speaking about the turning point or how load the front end feels. Obviously and front engine car feels lot more louded but this is not the key point to me!
I expect cars with different layouts feel different and adapt your driving to the different cars.

M2 at the limit is tuned to understeer. Like all cars today. Look the video of the 718 moose test I've posted in the vid subforum. And by no means M2 steering feels "mechanical" at all even front end loads quick. This is very BMW M car approach so it's easier to move the real axel

I think we are mixing apples with oranges. And again I repeat this is very related with personal style.

BTW...m2 breaks better than a GTS ...or a 997.2 CS or GTS...??!!no way!! I have never had a car that I could break sooooo hard with such a "simple" set up as the 997.2 CS. Hardly unbelievable. I have not tracked the M2 yet but on canyons where you can push the limit M2 breaks fade earlier. I have already ordered a metallic line for the breaks and better break fluid to mitigate. Even thinking on getting the optional break pads from the MP catalogue. Very good initial feeling on the M2 but far from the Porsche in overal use.

Btw I run same tires on both cars (PSS)

In any case I might be the strange guy on the class who doesn't feel the M2 as special as it should be. 😉 At least not as special as a 997.2 GTS.

Ps. Sorry for my English. Sometimes I must feel strange for you guys when reading my posts. I am doing my best to try you understand what I try to express.

Appreciate 3
      08-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #93
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoM View Post
In my case I am dealing with a mechanical steering on the 997.2 vs a new electrical steering on the M2.
Sorry...but the one on the 997.2 is significantly more informative. I am not speaking about the turning point or how load the front end feels. Obviously and front engine car feels lot more louded but this is not the key point to me!
I expect cars with different layouts feel different and adapt your driving to the different cars.

M2 at the limit is tuned to understeer. Like all cars today. Look the video of the 718 moose test I've posted in the vid subforum. And by no means M2 steering feels "mechanical" at all even front end loads quick. This is very BMW M car approach so it's easier to move the real axel

I think we are mixing apples with oranges. And again I repeat this is very related with personal style.

BTW...m2 breaks better than a GTS ...or a 997.2 CS or GTS...??!!no way!! I have never had a car that I could break sooooo hard with such a "simple" set up as the 997.2 CS. Hardly unbelievable. I have not tracked the M2 yet but on canyons where you can push the limit M2 breaks fade earlier. I have already ordered a metallic line for the breaks and better break fluid to mitigate. Even thinking on getting the optional break pads from the MP catalogue. Very good initial feeling on the M2 but far from the Porsche in overal use.

In any case I might be the strange guy on the class who doesn't feel the M2 as special as it should be. 😉 At least not as special as a 997.2 GTS.

Ps. Sorry for my English. Sometimes I must feel strange for you guys when reading my posts. I am doing my best to try you understand what I try to express.

you're doing a great job.......definitely better than my posts would be if I wrote them in Spanish.

Muchas gracias
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #94
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
Has no one offered to let you drive their m2
No M2's here in town. Wait-- I think there was one sold, but no idea to whom
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #95
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
People do not believe me in general, but driven the cars on a very short time base including also the 1M, the Cayman GTS, although being a very fine sports car, its weakest point is the steering.

If you do read al the reviews on the GTS thorouglly it is evident the steering is most complained about.

Like I said before; why has Porsche given the 718 a 10% faster steering rack?

Rhetorical question
I meant 'high praise'.

BTW-- I'll be coming out of a WRX, a pretty tough car to drive given its turbo 4, very 'jumpy' 1st and 2nd gear, non-linear throttle input, etc.

Does the Inline turbo 6 feel more like a NA inline 6 or more like a typical turbo?
That's the other appeal of a NA V8 to me-- the smoother, more linear inputs/response.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #96
NachoM
Private
Rep

Engine is very linear all the way to the red line. Nice job to be honest. Best turbo I've tried so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #97
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Engine is very linear all the way to the red line. Nice job to be honest. Best turbo I've tried so far.
awesome. That's great to hear.
I'm sure it's very different from this WRX
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 11:00 PM   #98
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
I meant 'high praise'.

BTW-- I'll be coming out of a WRX, a pretty tough car to drive given its turbo 4, very 'jumpy' 1st and 2nd gear, non-linear throttle input, etc.

Does the Inline turbo 6 feel more like a NA inline 6 or more like a typical turbo?
That's the other appeal of a NA V8 to me-- the smoother, more linear inputs/response.
Also coming from a WRX. (15 limited) I won't get to collect my M2 until next month (wk 37 build). I just asked the salesman to let me test drive an M235i and they happily obliged. Much less turbo lag than the WRX (despite WRX also having a twin scroll in the FA20DIT), and unlike the WRX, it doesn't run out of steam up top and pulls to redline like an NA car. It's great. I can't wait. You should go test drive an M235i in the meantime if you have to wait for a while. It's essentially the same engine with a slightly more mild tune.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2016, 11:04 PM   #99
m2tek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
Also coming from a WRX. (15 limited) I won't get to collect my M2 until next month (wk 37 build). I just asked the salesman to let me test drive an M235i and they happily obliged. Much less turbo lag than the WRX (despite WRX also having a twin scroll in the FA20DIT), and unlike the WRX, it doesn't run out of steam up top and pulls to redline like an NA car. It's great. I can't wait. You should go test drive an M235i in the meantime if you have to wait for a while. It's essentially the same engine with a slightly more mild tune.
Expecting your car next month with a Week 37 build? I have a week 38, but realistically I'm assuming delivery will be mid to end of October. If it comes earlier though, I certainly won't complain.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 03:08 AM   #100
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:

Says a lot about the hype when you need to inform people that the M2 is not as special as a 997.2 GTS.
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      08-09-2016, 03:49 AM   #101
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Says a lot about the hype when you need to inform people that the M2 is not as special as a 997.2 GTS.

Come on, maybe the casual reader needs to be informed but not we who own one or placed orders and are waiting to get one.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 04:29 AM   #102
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Moura View Post

Come on, maybe the casual reader needs to be informed but not we who own one or placed orders and are waiting to get one.
It was just meant as a humorous remark. Nothing else. I love my M2 and would never swap it for an old Porsche.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8717.00
NachoM67.00
      08-09-2016, 04:33 AM   #103
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
My bad
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      08-09-2016, 04:43 AM   #104
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
It was just meant as a humorous remark. Nothing else. I love my M2 and would never swap it for an old Porsche.
Me neither...Not as if it isn't a GT3.

Overhere the '911' is the most popular sold sportscar by far. M2 is not

So a definition of 'special' car is a difficult one.

Having both a >997S and M2 is (off course) a beautiful thing and no worries.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      08-09-2016, 05:31 AM   #105
NachoM
Private
Rep

Quote:
old Porsche??

that hurts!!
      08-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #106
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol, I don't consider a 2011 997.2 GTS an 'old porsche'.

I know how special the GTS is-- it's truly an amazing car, and its driving dynamics are going to be significantly different from a M2, given the chassis differences/engine layout differences in particular.

My surprise for Nacho and Robin and others who've driven both was more along the lines of specifics on understeer/oversteer, cornering characteristics, stability coming out of corners at speed, and overall feel of the different platforms, which they both had differing views on. So it was interesting to get their takes since I haven't driven the M2 as of yet.
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      08-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #107
NachoM
Private
Rep

Again, Ive said many times this is very personal.

I am happy to enjoy both of them. No very complex in my case.
Even its not a GTS.

08-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #108
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Heh
Attached Images

NachoM67.00
RotorOver295.50
      08-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #109
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Heh
lolol...that's the exact meme I thought of when I saw the title of this thread

:
Appreciate 1
jtodd_fl6703.50
      08-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #110
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

This "whole" M2 buying experience has been a disaster...