BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Any regrets among M2 owners on here?

08-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #67
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
I had an e92 m3 previously and currently own an M2. My next car will be a 997.2 CS or GT3 but I will keep the M2. You can read between the lines. The only problem with your gts is that its not an manual and those will be the cars that go up in price for the future. I love the 997.
what are your driving impressions of the M2-- what do you love about it/not like about it?
Have you/do you plan to autocross/track it?

Why are you interested in a 997.2 and why keep the M2?

sorry--not an interrogation. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #68
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
what are your driving impressions of the M2-- what do you love about it/not like about it?
Have you/do you plan to autocross/track it?

Why are you interested in a 997.2 and why keep the M2?

sorry--not an interrogation. lol
no worries man.

I love the car. It honestly never ceases to disappoint. It has the right amount of power, its the right size and the breaks are great. Extremely nimble even with it weighing more then people wanted.
you can tell that it wants to spend more time in the corners and sadly I don't have very many of them.

Like many people mentioned the only thing is the seats. They are comfy and adequate I just wish I had the option for the m3 comp pkg seats. I would like to be held in a little more than these seats do.

I would like to track it but where I currently live its not an option. I have an e46 330ci that its my daily. This will become a full track car eventually and the m2 will move to daily.

I was one of those guys who didn't buy the Porsche hype. then I drove the 997 and it was great. I think the new 991.1 are garbage. haven't drove the 991.2

The reason to keep the m2- This is the 1st car I've ordered and got to pick our everything I want. Second its exactly what I want in a car. There will always be cars with more specs and 0-60 but for what im looking for this is a perfect car.

back to why 997 I need rwd manual and I miss a NA engine. While I love the turbo in the m2 I don't want 2 turbo cars. The turbo performance will be better but I like the charm of the NA.

Cars are changing and they are getting to good I think the 997 is a perfect place in time where the price is coming down and wont be replicated. I don't want a gt car that does everything for me. That's the appeal of the m2 for the modern cars it has that old analog feel. My bad for such a long response.
Appreciate 2
NachoM67.00
      08-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #69
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no worries man.

I love the car. It honestly never ceases to disappoint. It has the right amount of power, its the right size and the breaks are great. Extremely nimble even with it weighing more then people wanted.
you can tell that it wants to spend more time in the corners and sadly I don't have very many of them.

Like many people mentioned the only thing is the seats. They are comfy and adequate I just wish I had the option for the m3 comp pkg seats. I would like to be held in a little more than these seats do.

I would like to track it but where I currently live its not an option. I have an e46 330ci that its my daily. This will become a full track car eventually and the m2 will move to daily.

I was one of those guys who didn't buy the Porsche hype. then I drove the 997 and it was great. I think the new 991.1 are garbage. haven't drove the 991.2

The reason to keep the m2- This is the 1st car I've ordered and got to pick our everything I want. Second its exactly what I want in a car. There will always be cars with more specs and 0-60 but for what im looking for this is a perfect car.

back to why 997 I need rwd manual and I miss a NA engine. While I love the turbo in the m2 I don't want 2 turbo cars. The turbo performance will be better but I like the charm of the NA.

Cars are changing and they are getting to good I think the 997 is a perfect place in time where the price is coming down and wont be replicated. I don't want a gt car that does everything for me. That's the appeal of the m2 for the modern cars it has that old analog feel. My bad for such a long response.
Love it--thanks for the detailed response.

The 997 is special-- no question. And i personally think the .2 is a much better driving/looking car than the .1, but some hard core 997.1 drivers might disagree with me.
Also, PDK came out in '09, right when the 997.2 came out.

I think PDK is absolutely amazing, and I appreciate it MORE now than I did before I learned to drive a manual. But I'm kind of hooked on a manual now, and I've heard the M2 is a pretty easy one to drive -- in terms of a light clutch pedal, easy gear shifting, and auto rev matching (which many hardcore manual drivers hate, I know). There is something cool about executing a perfect downshift unassisted by the electronics of the car-- I totally get that.

My biggest concern about the M2 is the suspension. I don't want to give up my precious GTS and its somewhat rough ride on our roads only to find the M2 is just as rough.
I'm guessing it won't be but I don't know for sure.

Also, having been a German car whore for the last 10 years or so, I'm curious about American muscle and having a NA V8 (hence my curiosity over the Camaro-- especially after it embarrassed the M4 in that video I posted).

I drive a Lexus GX460 with after market All terrain tires and new wheels as my DD, long trips and bad weather. If I get the Camaro or M2, it will be mixed in quite a bit and will likely be a car I drive quite a bit-- at least 50% of the time-- not just weekends.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #70
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Zero regrets so far after 4000+ kms. Some comments but not real regrets. Most differences are really differences between the 2 and 3series which I came from:

1) Mileage. If I drive the way I did in my 335i it's pretty close right now. But the gas tank is smaller so I fill up a bit more often. No biggie. Just a change in habits and expectations.

2) Trunk opening on 2 is smaller than the 3. It really hasn't impacted me yet but it's very noticeable.

3) No sunroof. I'm surprised that I do miss it. For those times you just want to crack it open just a tad.

3) MPE. Loud and full of character. 110% no complaints. Of course I haven't driven with a migraine yet, or when I'm sick or down.... BTW it's loud enough with the windows up that you have to talk loudly and crank up the stereo.

4) Attention. I've had the car in NA about 2 weeks. It gets a lot. Like probably 7-8 encounters of varying degrees. I don't mind. It's all positive and well rounded - from teens to grandparent aged. Men and women. But it is something to get use to though. It's partially because it's a rare m2, LBB and the MPE. Examples:
  • Motorcycles and cars following on the highway or streets ( I don't street race or excessively speed now that I track there is zero point to it ). Some nod and give thumbs up. Some cruise next to me for a bit and zip off or back off.
  • On coming traffic waves. Various on coming traffic cars. Hell, even a bus driver waved at me.
  • Traffic jam talks. Yes these happen. While in traffic, usually other BMW drivers will pull up or match speed and chat. Some good chats and full of enthusiasm. Usually about the MPE or M2 rareness
  • Parking lot discussions. Yes these happen. Surprising to me. Both young and old!

5) Internal luxuries- some people complain about this but seriously, the second you start the engine all that melts away.

6) Lack of CF parts, mirrors, hood, reflector side marker complaints and whatever else people can complain about! In my opinion, once you start the car, who gives a flying f!@k. Just drive and stop thinking about it. When I did the ED pickup with the M4 GTS guys, at first they were ( rightly ) very paranoid about their beauties. But by the end, they were whipping them around dusty rally roads following far too closely and getting rock chips all with the biggest smiles on their faces. This is the spirit of ownership that the M Division intended. Anyway that's my opinion. I mean take care of her, make her perfect to you but the number one thing is to just drive it and enjoy it.

No regrets.
NachoM67.00
Robin_NL8679.50
Destroya371.00
      08-06-2016, 05:28 AM   #71
NachoM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
How is the ride quality compared to the Cayman/911? I would almost expect it to be better as the Porsche is lower and lighter. Thinking softer springs could be used. Just a guess though as I've never been in the newer Porsche.
I have nothing to regret in terms of ride quality. I don't feel the car super stiff at all, and its very compliant with bad tarmac. This is very personal, but this is our daily car, and I can tell you both my wife and I feel its confortable. If it would be an only weekend car, or track car, I would definitelly install the MP coils, reduce the hight and limit roll. A little too much for me, but perfect for daily drive and have fun.

My 911 is lowered and I am on B16Damptronic, which they are as well not a very aggressive set up, but for sure stiffer than the M2.

Again, this is very personal. Ive read several comments here saying M2 is very stiff, which is not at all my feeling.

Seagull287.50
      08-06-2016, 07:26 AM   #72
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoM View Post
I have nothing to regret in terms of ride quality. I don't feel the car super stiff at all, and its very compliant with bad tarmac. This is very personal, but this is our daily car, and I can tell you both my wife and I feel its confortable. If it would be an only weekend car, or track car, I would definitelly install the MP coils, reduce the hight and limit roll. A little too much for me, but perfect for daily drive and have fun.

My 911 is lowered and I am on B16Damptronic, which they are as well not a very aggressive set up, but for sure stiffer than the M2.

Again, this is very personal. Ive read several comments here saying M2 is very stiff, which is not at all my feeling.

so your M2 definitely feels 'softer' and less bumpy on bad roads than your 997.2, correct?

I gotta tell you Nacho, your posts and those of a few others are making me re-think selling my GTS, even with its PDK. It's super low miles at 9975 (2011), so it will continue to hold its value pretty well I would hope, especially with so many 991 haters out there.
On the 991 forums, however, the people willing to give up their love for NA engines are saying the new 991.2's handle much better than the 991.1 and with little to no turbo lag.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #73
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
Zero regrets so far after 4000+ kms. Some comments but not real regrets. Most differences are really differences between the 2 and 3series which I came from:

3) MPE. Loud and full of character. 110% no complaints. Of course I haven't driven with a migraine yet, or when I'm sick or down.... BTW it's loud enough with the windows up that you have to talk loudly and crank up the stereo.

4) Attention. I've had the car in NA about 2 weeks. It gets a lot. Like probably 7-8 encounters of varying degrees. I don't mind. It's all positive and well rounded - from teens to grandparent aged. Men and women. But it is something to get use to though. It's partially because it's a rare m2, LBB and the MPE. Examples:
  • Motorcycles and cars following on the highway or streets ( I don't street race or excessively speed now that I track there is zero point to it ). Some nod and give thumbs up. Some cruise next to me for a bit and zip off or back off.
  • On coming traffic waves. Various on coming traffic cars. Hell, even a bus driver waved at me.
  • Traffic jam talks. Yes these happen. While in traffic, usually other BMW drivers will pull up or match speed and chat. Some good chats and full of enthusiasm. Usually about the MPE or M2 rareness
  • Parking lot discussions. Yes these happen. Surprising to me. Both young and old!
#3 MPE concerns me. I had to order mine with MPE in order to get the allocation from my dealer. But I don't want a really loud car. I'm worried it won't get the WAR (wife approval rating) I'm hoping for.

#4 (attention) surprises me. I got my Z3 back in the day when they were new and just as hard to get as the M2. It was unlike anything on the road at the time. I couldn't go anywhere without someone wanting to talk about it. I remember taking a buddy to Home Depot once and walking out of the store to find a group of around 10 people just circling and staring at the car. Fast forward four years later and every Tom, Dick and Harry had a Z3 (really need to change that phrase as none of those names are all that common today).

I think the M2 looks nice but unless you know what it is it doesn't seem that unique looking (like the Z3 was) to attract a crowd. I guess we'll see. I'm embarrassed to admit that, while the attention was a hassle at times, something deep down in my ego enjoyed it.
Appreciate 1
Seagull287.50
      08-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #74
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
IMO M2 is a big downgrade from a 997.2 GTS both from a performance and refinement standpoint. Unless it's a financial decision there's no way I'd do it. If you want to jump to a BMW I'd get at least a M3/M4 Comp pack.
I'm a BMW M-lover and if I buy a Porsche it will probably be a GT3, GT3RS, GT4, GT2…. But even so; I think a 997.2 GTS is more special and more of an event to drive, then a M2. If I did not need rear seats and had a 997.2 GTS I would not trade it in in for a M2 and definitely not for a M4… The M4 is not my kind of car. M3 is something I would consider if I needed a fast four door saloon.
M2 is a practical and very fun car for a nice price….but not a 991 alternative. A normal 997.2 GTS is about the same in terms of performance then the M2, so the performance standpoint is not argument for me between these two cars. When we are talking Porsche I think a M2 vs Cayman S (or even GTS) is a better comparison.
      08-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #75
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I also don't like the lack of sunroof option.
Sunroof? You can order a M2 with a sunroof!
      08-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #76
parrnan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT with the great MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Sunroof? You can order a M2 with a sunroof!

In the USA they cannot, at least for MY16 and MY17. For mY18, who knows...

In Canada it was not available for MY16, it is now available as a $1,500 option on MY17.

Last edited by parrnan; 08-06-2016 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #77
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrnan View Post
In the USA they cannot, at least for MY16 and MY17. For mY18, who knows...
Wow that's strange….
      08-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #78
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
I'm a BMW M-lover and if I buy a Porsche it will probably be a GT3, GT3RS, GT4, GT2…. But even so; I think a 997.2 GTS is more special and more of an event to drive, then a M2. If I did not need rear seats and had a 997.2 GTS I would not trade it in in for a M2 and definitely not for a M4… The M4 is not my kind of car. M3 is something I would consider if I needed a fast four door saloon.
M2 is a practical and very fun car for a nice price….but not a 991 alternative. A normal 997.2 GTS is about the same in terms of performance then the M2, so the performance standpoint is not argument for me between these two cars. When we are talking Porsche I think a M2 vs Cayman S (or even GTS) is a better comparison.
Re-read what you wrote-- first you said there is no way you would trade down from a 997.2 GTS to a M2 (like others have written), but then later say the M2 and 997.2 GTS are comparable, but the 991 is a different story.

Left me a bit confused.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #79
NachoM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Alpine White

Quote:
so your M2 definitely feels 'softer' and less bumpy on bad roads than your 997.2, correct?

I gotta tell you Nacho, your posts and those of a few others are making me re-think selling my GTS, even with its PDK. It's super low miles at 9975 (2011), so it will continue to hold its value pretty well I would hope, especially with so many 991 haters out there.
On the 991 forums, however, the people willing to give up their love for NA engines are saying the new 991.2's handle much better than the 991.1 and with little to no turbo lag.
My 997.2 is on Bilstein B16 Damptronic. They are stiffer than OEM and lowered the car to match the SPASM set up (10min lower than the standard PASM that is 10mm lower than non PASM).

M2 feels softer, suspension has more travelling, and body has more roll, which doesn't mean it's a soft car. I think it's perfect for B roads. I like to have some body roll. It gives you feedback about the car that is useful outside of a track. For track use, I am quite super most of the people will end up getting stiffer set ups. M2 is compliant. Stiff but not harsh. Very nice to me on the city, daily commutes, bumps, garage entries and so on.

Regarding the Performance exhaust I have tried an M2 with it and I can tell you inside the car with closed valves, your GTS is louder, and inside not as quiet as the M2. And you can always sell it and come back to the normal exhaust. Many people will get it from you. Stock exhaust is hardly audible from the inside of the car. You will be happy with it.

In general, to be honest, having a normal Carrera S, I can't think in anything that would make me leave the 997.2 and take the M2. GTS drives better, sounds better and looks better than mine...so I reall can't understand that change unless you keep the GTS. I am sorry to say. M2 doesn't feel as special, is not quicker, does not sound better, seating position is significantly worse and only clear advantage is the 4 real seats you have in the BMW in case you need 4 seats.

But I come back to the same point. 997.2 really fits my driving style. Maybe some other people will tell you the opposite. I have no concerns with the front axle on the 997.2
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #80
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Re-read what you wrote-- first you said there is no way you would trade down from a 997.2 GTS to a M2 (like others have written), but then later say the M2 and 997.2 GTS are comparable, but the 991 is a different story.

Left me a bit confused.
Correct! I said;
Quote:
A normal 997.2 GTS is about the same in terms of performance then the M2, so the performance standpoint is not argument for me between these two cars.
This means that I would not trade from a 997.2 GTS to a M2… Someone said that the 997.2 GTS is a faster car then the M2. This is not exactly true as the M2 and 997.2 have comparable performance. So the performance between the 2 cars is in my opinion not an argument to choose one car over the other.

Note: The 991 was an error I made and I wanted to say 911… I will rephrase my answer
The M2 is a practical and very fun car for a nice price….but IMO not a alternative choice for a Porsche 911. When we are talking Porsche I think a M2 vs Cayman S (or even GTS) is a better comparison.
      08-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #81
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Nice thread!

I`ll try to explain my own experience;

My line up on cars;

E46 M3
E92 M3
E82 1M
981 Cayman GTS
F87 M2

Driven recently for testing a Cayman GT4 and a 718 Boxster S

Do I have regrets on buying an M2; in short; NO

IMHO the M2 is the best M thus far, it is faster than al previous M cars I`ve driven. Relatively small, by no means a light car. But it does the job outstanding.
It is harder on suspension and damping though, it likes good and flat tarmac, on rough surfaces it bounces, and not compliant at the back, it can be quite nasty on the interior. IMHO the back is a little too hard.

The M2 is a true compilation of all the previous M cars.

The best on the M2 for me is the front end grip and the eagerness to turn in, the initial steering input is the best compared to all my previous cars, included the Cayman GTS, which is renowned for it`s steering, I tell you, the M2 is faster, quicker, better in steering input. Then te front end grip is phenomenal, it loads up at relatively low speed, the grip seems to be endless.
The Cayman needs very high speeds to load to front up, due to its mid engine layout of course, also you have to make more steering wheel movement. (now everybody will understand why the 718 successor has gotten an 10% faster steering rack)

The GT4 has the same steering feel, it is quite different from the Cayman GTS, like I told before; if my Cayman GTS steered like the GT4 or the M2 I would never ever have sold her. The only regret is the that the 6 F is gone, the car screamed like nothing ever heard before with the PSE, and now we have 4F in the 718, I`ll have to wait on the 718 GT4 I`ll guess
Appreciate 1
gthal1901.00
      08-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #82
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Nice thread!

My line up on cars;

E46 M3
E92 M3
E82 1M
981 Cayman GTS
F87 M2

IMHO the M2 is the best M thus far, it is faster than al previous M cars I`ve driven. Relatively small, by no means a light car. But it does the job outstanding.
It is harder on suspension and damping though, it likes good and flat tarmac, on rough surfaces it bounces, and not compliant at the back, it can be quite nasty on the interior. IMHO the back is a little too hard.

The best on the M2 for me is the front end grip and the eagerness to turn in, the initial steering input is the best compared to all my previous cars, included the Cayman GTS, which is renowned for it`s steering, I tell you, the M2 is faster, quicker, better in steering input. Then te front end grip is phenomenal, it loads up at relatively low speed, the grip seems to be endless.
The Cayman needs very high speeds to load to front up, due to its mid engine layout of course, also you have to make more steering wheel movement. (now everybody will understand why the 718 successor has gotten an 10% faster steering rack)

The GT4 has the same steering feel, it is quite different from the Cayman GTS, like I told before; if my Cayman GTS steered like the GT4 or the M2 I would never ever have sold her. The only regret is the that the 6 F is gone, the car screamed like nothing ever heard before with the PSE, and now we have 4F in the 718, I`ll have to wait on the 718 GT4 I`ll guess
The M2 has better steering input and turn in than your Cayman GTS??

Wow-- that is high price indeed.

In fact, the 981 Cayman GTS is one of the cars I'm considering in a couple of years-- depending on used market availability by then.
Everyone I know who's had one loves/loved it. I know a guy who moved up to the GT4 and said he actually misses his GTS, but didn't say why.

Your review helps me a lot in that I won't be able to drive and enjoy the M2 as much as I would like until I leave Lafayette and move back (hopefully) to California. Our roads are seriously awful here and I don't want long trips to New Orleans to feel like jarring experiences, like they did in my 997.2 GTS.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #83
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Heh... I kid. This is actually fairly civil and informative. This is what I was thinking till I read it.
Attached Images

08-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #84
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 ans m2

Out of curiosity, what transmission do you have in your M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Nice thread!

My line up on cars;

E46 M3
E92 M3
E82 1M
981 Cayman GTS
F87 M2

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #85
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Today I drove a 997.2 cs back to back with my m2. I'll be needing it to be a gt3 to consider a change.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #86
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Today I drove a 997.2 cs back to back with my m2. I'll be needing it to be a gt3 to consider a change.
wow.
Pro's/cons of each?

Were both manual gearboxes?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #87
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
wow.
Pro's/cons of each?

Were both manual gearboxes?
Both manual.
Porsche better seats. Smaller car. Na. The car was great I just have a hard time with the price point on a car w no warranty.

The m2 felt quicker and the breaks felt better. I wish I could have both but I couldn't float it. It just made me feel like I would like a more raw 997.2 but the 997 is the one. If anyone is in the market for a Porsche this one is great. A link listed below on the car I drove

http://www.mbloveland.com/used-Lovel...AB2A98AS720532
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #88
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Both manual.
Porsche better seats. Smaller car. Na. The car was great I just have a hard time with the price point on a car w no warranty.

The m2 felt quicker and the breaks felt better. I wish I could have both but I couldn't float it. It just made me feel like I would like a more raw 997.2 but the 997 is the one. If anyone is in the market for a Porsche this one is great. A link listed below on the car I drove

http://www.mbloveland.com/used-Lovel...AB2A98AS720532
solid car.

My GTS definitely is a more 'raw' car than a 'S', but this too has been debated on the reenlist forums, with some saying it's not that much different a suspension than a S, and others disagreeing. I can tell you this for sure: The GTS brakes are better than the S and the steering feel in better too. The suspension is supposed to be tuned differently-- somewhere in theory between a GT3 and S (probably closer to the S).

But having said all that, your review was very helpful b/c it confirms the 'hype' so to speak about the M2 from everywhere that I've read.........it really does seem like a terrific value for what you're getting performance wise, and it also appears to be an easier car to drive at or near its limit than any 997.2, although Nacho would seem to disagree ; )
Appreciate 0