BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Any regrets among M2 owners on here?

08-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #45
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
No one from BMW seems to be able to provide a legit answer to the question: "will bmw increase production on this car or will they continue to limit supply for the foreseeable future".
I think that may simply be dealer speak to get me to buy the car now.
I'm first on the list and have been told they (the local dealer) will get its allotment is September, meaning the car will be built in October and ready for November delivery, so I won't have to wait until middle of 2017. Does this sound right to you guys?

If by March or April of next year I don't like the car, I will sell it. My once cancern is how rough my 997.2 GTS rides on our roads here. It sounds to me the M2 may not be much better based on its suspension and chassis-- although there is a 'comfort' setting, correct?
I keep forgetting how much better you seem to have it in the US. In Canada ordering now would be for mid-2017 or later. If you can start an order now and get your car about the same time I will get mine (I ordered in February) I will be impressed and depressed
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #46
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

M2 engine feels like NA 6L V8

I drove a '16 WRX and it was way harder to shift than M2

M2 Traction is very well matched to power. It only spins when you really try to spin it.

Sunroofs blow
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #47
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post
I keep forgetting how much better you seem to have it in the US. In Canada ordering now would be for mid-2017 or later. If you can start an order now and get your car about the same time I will get mine (I ordered in February) I will be impressed and depressed
I'll be doing the exact same thing as bruin1md.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #48
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS+1 View Post
The suspension setting/firmness is not adjustable in the M2. So whether you are in Comfort, Sport or Sport +, the ride will be exactly the same.
thanks.

so it sounds like I should expect it to be pretty stiff/rough on bad roads
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #49
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
M2 engine feels like NA 6L V8

I drove a '16 WRX and it was way harder to shift than M2

M2 Traction is very well matched to power. It only spins when you really try to spin it.

Sunroofs blow
I learned a manual on a '15 WRX, which is definitely one of the harder cars to learn on given the heavy clutch pedal and somewhat stiff gear shifts........but I think it's great I'm driving this car for 3 months......... will be great practice to tool around in and get really comfortable in.
When I get the Camaro or M2 it should be a breeze to drive by comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #50
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Only regret is having to wait so long for it to arrive...
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 02:25 AM   #51
NachoM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Moura View Post
NachoM, I have recently driven the current Cayman S (718), 911 S (997) and 911 GT3 (991) back to back, on the same day, at the Autódromo Internacional do Algarve (Algarve racetrack) which is a notoriously fun and difficult racetrack. They are all extremely different and in comparison the 991 S does not feel planted precisely because of its rear engine/RWD setup. The GT3 makes up for that with its lightness and a very developed suspension which gives it better traction, stability and makes it an overall more predictable car (although when it goes... it goes!). On the other hand, the Cayman S, being mid-engined, is such a sweet drive and although not faster on a long circuit it is a much better and easier drive than the other two.
So, having not yet driven the M2, I am expecting it to be more like the 718 Cayman S and I must say I will be otherwise very disappointed of having bought it. But yet you say that in your opinion it less balanced than the 991... :/ Where do we stand?
Wow...Love that track. Best Ive driven together with Spa. I come to Portimao every year at least once (easy for me being in Spain).

This is me last time I was there few months ago

I think you have very high expectations on the M2. Hope you are right, but new Cayman S, GTS...are incredible refined track tools to me now. I share track with some of them, and always impressed how well they perfom (and sound).

In any case, as mentioned, to me everything comes to personal style, and in my case, I feel really really confident on the 911 layout. I dont have to move the back myself (as in a BMW) but controling the back movements, wich is to me easy to do. Again, never experienced really bad moments (just 2 or 3 big moments hahahahah), with the front on the 911...and they were all my fault.

It mignt be that I am a 911 guy...

Last edited by NachoM; 08-05-2016 at 02:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8716.00
      08-05-2016, 02:36 AM   #52
NachoM
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaway View Post

And especially I would be very careful taking such a decision based on various opinions on a M2 forum, full of drift-ers and oversteer pilots over here you know, no real track action at all but lot of noise and theoretical lap times to the second...

No regret of buying an M2 for track use except perhaps not owning a GT4, for me And that's not for a few seconds more or less on the lap time, it's for a whole different experience Especially when considering the following points (especially no 2), I fully agree:

It's not the slight difference in perceived (placebo for many?) agility compared to a M3/M4, but the huge difference compared to a true sports car in the end.
I am in the same point. I am a "grip" guy rather than an oversteer guy myslef, and I am with you in most of the things (weights, hights, configuration), but I have to admit lack of traction is NOT an issue anymore on this M2, and I have been very critic with this with previous M cars.

Havent tried M2 on a track yet, but on the road, you can fully use the power available without suffering all the controls stoping your car. Very well suited. Not as good as Porsche yet, but a significant improvement from M3 E92 f.e.
You dont need to swith off everything now to go full attack now.

But overall I agree car feels way heavier than a Cayman or 911...and with significant roll with standard suspension
      08-05-2016, 05:52 AM   #53
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoM View Post
Wow...Love that track. Best Ive driven together with Spa. I come to Portimao every year at least once (easy for me being in Spain).

I think you have very high expectations on the M2. Hope you are right, but new Cayman S, GTS...are incredible refined track tools to me now. I share track with some of them, and always impressed how well they perfom (and sound).
Portimão is great yeah! It was convenient for me because I am from Lisbon and lived there until last year when I moved to the Netherlands. Now Spa and the ring are conveniently close to me :P

What I meant was not that I will be disappointed if in absolute terms the M2 is worst than the 718 but rather that I will be disappointed if it behaves in a less even and balanced way as the 991 does when compared to the 718. So, in other words, if there is a scale between the 991 and the 718, I am hoping the M2 sits closer to the 718.
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      08-05-2016, 06:01 AM   #54
NachoM
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Moura View Post
So, in other words, if there is a scale between the 991 and the 718, I am hoping the M2 sits closer to the 718.
COPY this.

At least closer to the 718 than the M4
      08-05-2016, 06:11 AM   #55
WFS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Only regret I have is not buying the smoking pack. Not to smoke but to have a place to put coins.

But considering that's my only regret it's a great car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 06:32 AM   #56
msi200
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: M2

No regrets, actually it is better than expected. It puts a big smile on my face every time I drive it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #57
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
COPY this.

At least closer to the 718 than the M4
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      08-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #58
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Only regret so far is that buying my 1st BMW experience is terrible so far:
- waiting for an allocation
- waiting for a production number
- differential issue
- waiting for the car

Maybe I am a "too much" of an enthusiast and the M2 will be my weekend car.

Hopefully, the car will meet the expectations once it arrives.
      08-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #59
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

I love the M2 as well, but I do have a few qualms with it.

1. Biggest Gripe - Ergonomics are not the best. I struggle to find optimal seating position and I feel crowded in my lower half, but then I'm 6'3 - 225. When I have my left foot in the "resting" position, I notice that my knee hits the steering wheel if I'm turning and if I raise the steering wheel, I cannot see the gauge cluster at the bottom. If I raise the seating position, I feel as if I'm riding in an SUV and my head gets near hitting the roof - I know, tall guy problems....

2. Interior is definitely not as quality as other M cars, but this is a really minor nitpick for me as it doesn't bother me that much since I came from older M Cars (E46 M3s) and my daily is a Honda Accord.

Those are really the only things I can think of at this time, but other than that, I absolutely love the car. It's quick, steering is direct for EPS (Although can't replace Hydraulic) and it really does feel like a modern, faster, turbo'd E46 M3 (which is what I was looking for).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #60
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Have you watched the Head to Head (it's on netflix) where they put a Camero up against an M4?

You really need to watch that even though you're thinking M2.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #61
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I had an e92 m3 previously and currently own an M2. My next car will be a 997.2 CS or GT3 but I will keep the M2. You can read between the lines. The only problem with your gts is that its not an manual and those will be the cars that go up in price for the future. I love the 997.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #62
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
I am in the same point. I am a "grip" guy rather than an oversteer guy myslef, and I am with you in most of the things (weights, hights, configuration), but I have to admit lack of traction is NOT an issue anymore on this M2, and I have been very critic with this with previous M cars.

Havent tried M2 on a track yet, but on the road, you can fully use the power available without suffering all the controls stoping your car. Very well suited. Not as good as Porsche yet, but a significant improvement from M3 E92 f.e.
You dont need to swith off everything now to go full attack now.

But overall I agree car feels way heavier than a Cayman or 911...and with significant roll with standard suspension
How is the ride quality compared to the Cayman/911? I would almost expect it to be better as the Porsche is lower and lighter. Thinking softer springs could be used. Just a guess though as I've never been in the newer Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #63
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Have you watched the Head to Head (it's on netflix) where they put a Camero up against an M4?

You really need to watch that even though you're thinking M2.
I'm the one who posted that video on the first page. That's exactly why I'm considering the Camaro
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #64
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
I had an e92 m3 previously and currently own an M2. My next car will be a 997.2 CS or GT3 but I will keep the M2. You can read between the lines. The only problem with your gts is that its not an manual and those will be the cars that go up in price for the future. I love the 997.
100% agree.

If my GTS was a 6MT, I would never sell it
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #65
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
100% agree.

If my GTS was a 6MT, I would never sell it
Did you pick your 997 up new or used?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #66
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
Did you pick your 997 up new or used?
I bought it CPO'd-- 6 years/100K miles.
Someone very wealthy bought it brand new, drove it for 10 months and then turned it in.
It sat for about 4 months before I bought it after 2 price drops with only 5000 miles on it.

I had the porsche dealership clear bra the front and put on black stone guards as well. It looks truly amazing, so much so that even after 3 years of owning it, I still find myself staring at it.
Nothing better looking out there than a wide body 997.2...... IMO
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00