BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Unrealistic to expect a test drive before buying?

07-30-2016, 12:27 PM   #23
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 - LBB/6MT/Exec

@srleadjb Absolutely, thank you! At this point I'd be happy just to ride in one, let me know next time you come down.
      07-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #24
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 - LBB/6MT/Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybostonjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by njw View Post
I sold my e92 M3 earlier this year and plan on replacing it with an M2, but I really want to drive one first to help decide between 6MT and DCT.

Basically, I want to see if it is as much fun as the 1M (mostly because of the size and MT), or does it feel more like a replacement of my e92 M3 (DCT was more convenient as a DD but still fun).

My local dealer just called, they are expecting their second M2 to arrive tomorrow but are not allowing test drives. I completely understand given demand, positive reviews, waiting lists, etc. but my question is how many of you were able to test drive an M2?

Curious how many dealers take this stance vs. letting potential customers test drive before spending $60K (ish).
Which dealer? Maybe I can allow test drives on my car for a fee
The list at BMW of SD is pretty long, but BMW of EC is just selling each car they get (with a healthy markup I'm sure). I'm a former customer, so they know I'm serious and have the money, but they also know I will not pay a premium over msrp.
      07-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #25
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Well I am 24 and I test drove the F80 M3 the first day it arrived in any dealership here in San Diego in 2014 ( I was 22). I knew the manager, however none of the salesman would do that same thing.

Around here in San Diego the SA's are told by management to turn down kids in their 20's for these M cars.

Used cars are much easier to test drive but they are used. But if you want to drive a new one be persistent and try many different dealers.
      07-30-2016, 07:00 PM   #26
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerwillingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfootdoc View Post
Sidebar my buddy got a M4 from BWM Tucson and they told him no test drive. They told him they dont let anyone test drive their M cars prior to purchase. And that was when they had 4 M4's sitting on the lot.
2 dealerships have fed me that line before. I bought M cars from other dealerships that let me drive them. That kind of shit gets me mad. I can go to Porsche and they'll toss me the keys to a 911 but the way BMW treats their M3/4's feels really obnoxious to me.
It's too big an expense if you have doubts. After selling my first 1M I considered M235i and was thinking of doing euro delivery which meant no test drive. I held off and when I finally drove it, I was dissapointed . Glad I didn't get it. On the other hand I was so close to buying e90 m3. I liked it but felt a little big so there was some nagging. When 1M came out I bought it without driving but had read several reviews from guys with same philosophy as me. If they said the 1M interior should be more luxurious for example, I tossed out there review. If they talked about idrive or fluff, same . Buy guys like Daniel Pund of car and driver and Chris Harris are more like me. I found them reviews to be spot on with me. I would do a test drive though if I was you.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #27
togepi
Private
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesc63 View Post
Well I am 24 and I test drove the F80 M3 the first day it arrived in any dealership here in San Diego in 2014 ( I was 22). I knew the manager, however none of the salesman would do that same thing.

Around here in San Diego the SA's are told by management to turn down kids in their 20's for these M cars.

Used cars are much easier to test drive but they are used. But if you want to drive a new one be persistent and try many different dealers.
I test drove a M3 at the dealership on kearny mesa before just off emailing a salesman. My trick is to use my corporate email to send them the initial email to ask for a test drive. I'm 25 and have never been turned down for any model of bmw/porsche.

I remember the reactions I got when I was 17 and tried to test drive the lancer evo and wrx sti though
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2016, 09:03 PM   #28
CarEnthused
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
It's too big an expense if you have doubts. After selling my first 1M I considered M235i and was thinking of doing euro delivery which meant no test drive. I held off and when I finally drove it, I was dissapointed . Glad I didn't get it. On the other hand I was so close to buying e90 m3. I liked it but felt a little big so there was some nagging. When 1M came out I bought it without driving but had read several reviews from guys with same philosophy as me. If they said the 1M interior should be more luxurious for example, I tossed out there review. If they talked about idrive or fluff, same . Buy guys like Daniel Pund of car and driver and Chris Harris are more like me. I found them reviews to be spot on with me. I would do a test drive though if I was you.
I was not wildly impressed with the F80 but I wanted the practicality. I was an hour away from buying an f80 when I got a call that a used M2 showed up. If they didn't let me test drive the M2 I wouldn't have it right now. I'd be driving an F80 and enjoying it but nothing like how I've just adored every minute with the M2. That test drive was everything.

I think showing up with a 911 helped me this time. And now I have a history with the dealership so I don't expect this problem from them. But it's a shame.

If you're a driving enthusiast first and foremost then the M2 vs F8X comparison is easy. The M2 just feels so much closer to a full on sports car like a Cayman or a 911. Just buy one
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #29
Y1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vroom

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Was deciding between an M4 at dealer 1 and M2 at dealer 2.

The sales rep of dealer 1 (and I quote) said:

Quote:
You should only drive it if you want to buy it.
Thanks for making my decision to buy from dealer 2 that much easier
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2016, 01:58 AM   #30
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Guess I'm lucky, local dealer has had their M Perfomace loaded M2 available for test drives for 4 weeks now. I took it for a spin the first week they got it and thanks to that drive, I know I'll be very happy with it.
Appreciate 2
      07-31-2016, 09:31 AM   #31
M///Fanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E83 X3, F87 M2, 17' i3 REX

I would definitely go the forum member route even if you have to make a drive.

That's how I test drove one in AZ (insert thanks!) and it fulfilled all my hopes and blew away my expectations.
      07-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #32
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashar View Post
Was deciding between an M4 at dealer 1 and M2 at dealer 2.

The sales rep of dealer 1 (and I quote) said:

Thanks for making my decision to buy from dealer 2 that much easier
Amazing. I would never, ever do business with that dealership again.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #33
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerwillingham View Post
I was not wildly impressed with the F80 but I wanted the practicality. I was an hour away from buying an f80 when I got a call that a used M2 showed up. If they didn't let me test drive the M2 I wouldn't have it right now. I'd be driving an F80 and enjoying it but nothing like how I've just adored every minute with the M2. That test drive was everything.

I think showing up with a 911 helped me this time. And now I have a history with the dealership so I don't expect this problem from them. But it's a shame.

If you're a driving enthusiast first and foremost then the M2 vs F8X comparison is easy. The M2 just feels so much closer to a full on sports car like a Cayman or a 911. Just buy one
Coming from a former Cayman S and current F80 and 997 GT3 owner with a M2 on order I disagree. The F80 and F87 feel like similar class cars and both feel nothing like a 2 or 2+2 seater mid/rear engine Porsche at all when it comes to sports car feels.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #34
azfootdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 HEA

100% agree

I totally agree. I can understand the situation with the M2 a little more than with the M4. If you are a small store and are only getting one for the year what's the point in letting people test drive? Even at bigger stores (limited supply/waitlists 30 people deep) there isn't much reason to do test drives. That said its a lot of money to drop on a car you haven't even driven. By the way I love mine and plan on keeping it for a long time. BMW knocked it out of the park with the M2.

Quote:
2 dealerships have fed me that line before. I bought M cars from other dealerships that let me drive them. That kind of shit gets me mad. I can go to Porsche and they'll toss me the keys to a 911 but the way BMW treats their M3/4's feels really obnoxious to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #35
nitrojunky
Private
Rep
Drives: C6Z, 335i, e90M

BMW of austin has a demo M2. took it for a test drive yesterday. very interesting car. basically my opinions mirror what i've read on C&D and watched on the smoking tire. as an e90M owner, i'm conflicted because the s65 is just a screaming work of art, but there is definitely something to be said for banging through the gears in the DCT + N55. chassis is very balanced (feel a lot like my e90), i have zero complaints about steering feel, engine sound > S55, car looks great in person. i suspect the car will grow on me very quickly if i were to purchase. given the price point, i suspect BMW is going to sell every one they make for a while. i'm very intrigued after driving it, probably the only modern BMW which interests me.

i'd want a test drive before i purchased, but i can understand if some dealerships aren't allowing test drives if their allotment is sold before they arrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #36
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrojunky View Post
BMW of austin has a demo M2. took it for a test drive yesterday. very interesting car. basically my opinions mirror what i've read on C&D and watched on the smoking tire. as an e90M owner, i'm conflicted because the s65 is just a screaming work of art, but there is definitely something to be said for banging through the gears in the DCT + N55. chassis is very balanced (feel a lot like my e90), i have zero complaints about steering feel, engine sound > S55, car looks great in person. given the price point, i suspect BMW is going to sell every one they make for a while. i'm very intrigued after driving it, probably the only modern BMW which interests me.

i'd want a test drive before i purchased, but i can understand if some dealerships aren't allowing test drives if their allotment is sold before they arrive.
It's a sad world we live in as the NA V8's are slowly fading away.

Huge props to Ford for the Voodoo on the GT350/350R - that engine is a beast and one of my favorite sounding engines of all time.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #37
Elwood74
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
Ordered mine without driving. But I had driven a 228(?) as a loaner and knew I liked the Body size and seating. 1 month after ordering, BMW invited me to mtrackdays and I finally got to flog one around LRP. The wait then became that much harder.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #38
justinco
btr.life
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36

Garage List
1994 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
2005 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
I had no problems test driving an M2 as well as an F80 M3 in the past few weeks.

Granted, both of them were slightly used and not new.
      08-01-2016, 06:49 PM   #39
CarEnthused
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Coming from a former Cayman S and current F80 and 997 GT3 owner with a M2 on order I disagree. The F80 and F87 feel like similar class cars and both feel nothing like a 2 or 2+2 seater mid/rear engine Porsche at all when it comes to sports car feels.
I feel like my point may have been missed. I recognize the benefits and weight balance characteristics of porsches compared to a front engine rear drive car with a luxury car as it's base. But I was saying the M2 in driving characteristics feels drastically closer to a full on sports car offering than I ever felt from my M3/4 test drives.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #40
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I don't see any new M2's showing up on lots for the next several months that are not already spoken for. If my dealer was to let someone test-drive my car I would lose it. If you can find a used car test drives won't be an issue because its already used and there is no owner already committed. The chances of being able to test drive both a manual and DCT before buying is about zero unless you want to wait a year or so. I think test drives are greatly overrated most of the time. The reason is the dealer has some surface streets and if your lucky a really short section of freeway, no mountain roads and unless your a jerk you aren't going to beat on a brand new car that hasn't been broken in. I would have loved to have driven the M2 before I placed my order but I doubt my mind would have been changed so I am good.
Appreciate 2
ric124452.00
      08-01-2016, 11:21 PM   #41
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I don't see any new M2's showing up on lots for the next several months that are not already spoken for. If my dealer was to let someone test-drive my car I would lose it. If you can find a used car test drives won't be an issue because its already used and there is no owner already committed. The chances of being able to test drive both a manual and DCT before buying is about zero unless you want to wait a year or so. I think test drives are greatly overrated most of the time. The reason is the dealer has some surface streets and if your lucky a really short section of freeway, no mountain roads and unless your a jerk you aren't going to beat on a brand new car that hasn't been broken in. I would have loved to have driven the M2 before I placed my order but I doubt my mind would have been changed so I am good.
I must be a jerk then. I have CA that would take me on some back roads with some nice corners so I could properly hit that apex and then onto the highway so I can open the car up
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 01:59 AM   #42
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I must be a jerk then. I have CA that would take me on some back roads with some nice corners so I could properly hit that apex and then onto the highway so I can open the car up
I wouldn't want to buy a car someone has taken out and exceeded the break in limitations. Perhaps jerk was not the best choice of words.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 05:11 AM   #43
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I still haven't seen one for real but I have a BMW M track day that I signed up for and it looks like the M2 will be the star of the show there, so hopefully I get to experience it on the track before I get mine.
I just got to drive one on a short course/autox in a similar event at monticello motor club, the m2 is unreal and so composed. You'll definitely enjoy it. The i8 is the real treat though .

Quote:
I feel like my point may have been missed. I recognize the benefits and weight balance characteristics of porsches compared to a front engine rear drive car with a luxury car as it's base. But I was saying the M2 in driving characteristics feels drastically closer to a full on sports car offering than I ever felt from my M3/4 test drives.
+1
Appreciate 1
ric124452.00
      08-02-2016, 06:27 AM   #44
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan

As far as I am concerned, all it takes is a drive in a 228 or an M235.

If, after driving a 228 or m235, one can't decide if one wants an M2 (without a test drive of that specific car) , said buyer should just get an M3 or M4.

If you are worried about ANYTHING on an M2 not being for you , just go get an M3 or M4.
Appreciate 1
ric124452.00