BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Unrealistic to expect a test drive before buying?

08-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #45
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I must be a jerk then. I have CA that would take me on some back roads with some nice corners so I could properly hit that apex and then onto the highway so I can open the car up
I wouldn't want to buy a car someone has taken out and exceeded the break in limitations. Perhaps jerk was not the best choice of words.
Yeh I would never buy a car that was sitting on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #46
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I still haven't seen one for real but I have a BMW M track day that I signed up for and it looks like the M2 will be the star of the show there, so hopefully I get to experience it on the track before I get mine.
I just got to drive one on a short course/autox in a similar event at monticello motor club, the m2 is unreal and so composed. You'll definitely enjoy it. The i8 is the real treat though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerwillingham View Post
I feel like my point may have been missed. I recognize the benefits and weight balance characteristics of porsches compared to a front engine rear drive car with a luxury car as it's base. But I was saying the M2 in driving characteristics feels drastically closer to a full on sports car offering than I ever felt from my M3/4 test drives.
+1
Yeh I did that 228i autox a couple years ago! It was fun and there is a video of a 228i vs Audi S3 on the track and the 228 outperformed the s3
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #47
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Coming from a local BMW dealership, I do know that with all the ///M cars, you went through a "screening" process before being allowed to test drive the car. What that process entails, I am not sure but basically you had to get a managers approval. Although frustrating, these practices are put in place so some 16 year old kid who just got their license doesn't wrap a $70K+ car around a pole.

Once you passed that screening process, you were allowed to have at it!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 05:31 AM   #48
winterrogue_F87
Queen of Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW 228xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by njw
I sold my e92 M3 earlier this year and plan on replacing it with an M2, but I really want to drive one first to help decide between 6MT and DCT.

Basically, I want to see if it is as much fun as the 1M (mostly because of the size and MT), or does it feel more like a replacement of my e92 M3 (DCT was more convenient as a DD but still fun).

My local dealer just called, they are expecting their second M2 to arrive tomorrow but are not allowing test drives. I completely understand given demand, positive reviews, waiting lists, etc. but my question is how many of you were able to test drive an M2?

Curious how many dealers take this stance vs. letting potential customers test drive before spending $60K (ish).
They are not allowing test drives because that M2 is probably already sold to a customer. How would you feel if you ordered a brand new M2 and see 40 to 50 miles on the car already because some guy wanted to test drive the car. I would fuvkin flip. That could potentially lose that sale and then you could test drive it, don't like it and they lose two sales.
      08-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #49
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by njw
I sold my e92 M3 earlier this year and plan on replacing it with an M2, but I really want to drive one first to help decide between 6MT and DCT.

Basically, I want to see if it is as much fun as the 1M (mostly because of the size and MT), or does it feel more like a replacement of my e92 M3 (DCT was more convenient as a DD but still fun).

My local dealer just called, they are expecting their second M2 to arrive tomorrow but are not allowing test drives. I completely understand given demand, positive reviews, waiting lists, etc. but my question is how many of you were able to test drive an M2?

Curious how many dealers take this stance vs. letting potential customers test drive before spending $60K (ish).
They are not allowing test drives because that M2 is probably already sold to a customer. How would you feel if you ordered a brand new M2 and see 40 to 50 miles on the car already because some guy wanted to test drive the car. I would fuvkin flip. That could potentially lose that sale and then you could test drive it, don't like it and they lose two sales.
On this topic of driving a new car, this is a point of view for one who doesn't want to drive a car before buying.

But in general most people do so a few short 5-10 mile test drives don't hurt anything.
      08-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #50
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesc63
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by njw

On this topic of driving a new car, this is a point of view for one who doesn't want to drive a car before buying.

But in general most people do so a few short 5-10 mile test drives don't hurt anything.
I have to disagree. On a brand new car, a few 5-10 miles of test driving can do serious damage if the break in isn't followed. And let's be real here - nobody test driving a new M2 is going to respect the break in procedure, they'll drive it like hooligans.

In addition, if I bought the car, the car is mine and therefore no one else should be driving it. It's not a demo model, it's a customer car.

You wouldn't buy a set of tires if other people had taken them for drives before you would you?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #51
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
I have to disagree. On a brand new car, a few 5-10 miles of test driving can do serious damage if the break in isn't followed. And let's be real here - nobody test driving a new M2 is going to respect the break in procedure, they'll drive it like hooligans.

In addition, if I bought the car, the car is mine and therefore no one else should be driving it. It's not a demo model, it's a customer car.

You wouldn't buy a set of tires if other people had taken them for drives before you would you?
Heh... I actually took an X5M for a test drive and my CA was telling me to "go ahead and push it, it will be ok". I didn't though... I wouldn't take it over 4K RPM and he kept saying, "don't worry about it".
      08-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #52
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

This motor doesn't really need a break in period. Its the diff that is vulnerable for the first 1200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #53
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85
Quote:

This motor doesn't really need a break in period. Its the diff that is vulnerable for the first 1200 miles.
Yep. And we all know how well the diffs in the M2 are holding up......
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #54
M_Driver4life
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

I usually have a policy of never buying a car without test driving it, however after seeing the car and reading all of the reviews I just had to rush to put a deposit down. As a consolation they let me test drive an M235i and my CA called me when the first M2 at the dealership arrived, but told me I could only see it and wouldn't even be allowed to sit in it.

For many of the reasons other people have noted I understand, the no test drive policy. But if you have driven some of the other BMW M cars and then read the reviews on the M2, you shouldn't have to have a test drive to be convinced.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #55
CarEnthused
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Driver4life View Post
But if you have driven some of the other BMW M cars and then read the reviews on the M2, you shouldn't have to have a test drive to be convinced.
I'm not so sure... I was a huge M2 skeptic before I bought mine. I'm totally in love with it now and everything I worried about was wrong... but I wouldn't be in one today if I didn't have the chance to drive it

[CURRENT] 2016 Porsche GT4 (for sale)
[PREVIOUS] '17 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, '16 M2, '13 911 C2 7MT, '08 E92 M3, '07 E92 335i, '97 M3 Coupe, '95 318ti
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #56
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I just asked if I could test drive an M235i since it would be somewhat close to the M2. (I've never owned a BMW before ordering the M2) The salesman said sure, head on over! I got to take it for a spin. Good times. It solidified my feelings about my M2 order. September can't come soon enough!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #57
Bigcatkian
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I came from an e93 m3 and didn't get to test drive the m2. Actually now that I think about it I didn't test drive my last 2 cars lol but I had enough confidence in the car to know it was something Id love to drive. When I bought the car and drove it to work ill be honest I was very underwhelmed and disappointed but as I rack up the miles this car keeps getting better and surprises me everyday. If you can get a test drive, do it but if you cant I think its worth taking the chance.
2010 E93 M3 (sold)
2012 Wrx Sti (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:29 AM   #58
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated
I just asked if I could test drive an M235i since it would be somewhat close to the M2. (I've never owned a BMW before ordering the M2) The salesman said sure, head on over! I got to take it for a spin. Good times. It solidified my feelings about my M2 order. September can't come soon enough!
If you liked the M235i, you'll LOVE the M2.
      08-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #59
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcatkian View Post
I came from an e93 m3 and didn't get to test drive the m2. Actually now that I think about it I didn't test drive my last 2 cars lol but I had enough confidence in the car to know it was something Id love to drive. When I bought the car and drove it to work ill be honest I was very underwhelmed and disappointed but as I rack up the miles this car keeps getting better and surprises me everyday. If you can get a test drive, do it but if you cant I think its worth taking the chance.
GT4 and M2 are pretty solid candidates to buy without a test drive.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2016, 11:19 PM   #60
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
OP, I was listed to buy at two dealers before even driving one.. After driving a 235M I knew the M2 had to be better.. After seeing comparos about the M2 handling like the M4 I test drove one also to get a feel..

One of the two dealers I got on list for allocations actually received a mule car which they were only allowing people from their lists to test drive to decide if they would still wait for allocations or drop off the list.. The car was not planned for sale..

They called me when it arrived and I drove it a completely fell in love..

I would say buy with no issues and if you are not sure just call all dealers around you and see if any have a car like the one I described..

Fly to Florida in a couple weeks and I can take you for a spin in mine
Appreciate 1
njw58.00
      08-27-2016, 12:34 AM   #61
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Quote:
Originally Posted by njw View Post

I would say it is very rare to be able to get to drive the M2, at least at this point.

And if you have driven both the e92 m3 and 1M...if the M3 and 1M had a baby, it would be the M2 but getting most traits from the 1M''s side.
E92 has a perfect none artificial steering and a very responsive front suspension, but on the other hand is very weak down low, mediocre at top end, and way too heavy for what it can put down.

I think m2 carries none of those e92 characteristics and certainly is not close enough to it to be called its baby.

I am definitely letting go of E92 when my m2 comes.