BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > FWP need help on M2

08-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #23
buumer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
Anyway i think the M235i is a better car than the R for feel/fun. Since I liked that car I figured the M2 would be just what the doctor ordered.
I traded my M235i after 25k miles for the R and I believe the R offers a more raw and visceral experience. Perhaps it being 200 pounds slimmer or the more compact wheelbase, but the R provides more feedback than I ever got in the BMW. Both vehicles have been pitted against each other by people with immensely more talent than me, but I can say that I've bonded with R and I never did with the 235.

From my very brief experience with the M2, it still has the same concerns as the 235. Its a great machine and I may own one someday, but the R fits my needs for now.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #24
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

R is a good car. we are in the golden age of sports cars - drive them all!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #25
Minchy
Rep
Drives: M2 Mineral Grey 6MT

I have a golf R and got an M2 on order to replace it. Great car and fun just does not offer that special something which the M2 has. Its a shame the golf Rs are as common as 320ds in the UK due to attractive finance and lease deals. If VW had kept the R more exclusive I would have been more tempted to keep it. Considering your location you have no real need for 4wd like we do in the UK so I can see why the golf is a less attractive option to you.

However GT4 I can only dream of one for now, so I would say keep it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #26
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

How did you spec your GT4? Miles? I personally have been waiting for this unicorn and the magical phone call from my SA....but I doubt it's happening anytime soon.

If you sell your GT4, you'd get a premium for it given its limited availability. If you're looking to consolidate and shed expenses this makes the most sense.

I personally own a Golf R and have been considering cross shopping for an M2 but I would like to wait until they work the kinks out and these stealerships to stop gouging everyone.

Everyone bashing R for what the car is because every reviewer has stated this is the perfect all around daily. It isn't meant to blow your mind but it gets the job done. I enjoy mine and I live in Houston where everything is flat and the only twisty turns are U-Turns

TBH, no one can change your mind about how you feel about your cars but one thing is for sure life is short and drive the hell out of them or you'll regret it.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #27
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
I'm surprised about all the Golf R love. The dual clutch box is not good. Shift programming is probably the worst I've had. The engine sounds boring, and the steering is very numb. I've owned AWD cars before (RS4, S4, wrx, ttrs) all were much more fun and had more character. The golf is quick sure, but soul stirring it's not. The older VR6 based Rs were great cars.

Anyway i think the M235i is a better car than the R for feel/fun. Since I liked that car I figured the M2 would be just what the doctor ordered.

If I was willing to dig the hole deeper the M2 + the GT4 would be the ideal pair, but that violates the whole downsizing idea. I've never owned a car I liked as much as the GT4, well maybe my old '02 M Coupe. (which yeah I shouldn't have sold)

Anyway thanks for the input.
Is yours stock? I've never had a stock car I've found "good enough"... Maybe the GT4, but I can't take the kids to school in it - at least not all at one time! I'd think if saving money is the goal, the M2 is a great all around car which is why I hope to get one (assuming the dealer doesn't jack me around). That said, I'd rather thave the Golf/GT4 combo, and mod the hell out of the golf. They are very tunable, and an exhaust/tune is +100hp, a stiffer rear bar and an alignment would take any "boring" out. Why anybody would get an automatic though, that's another ball of wax
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #28
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
Is yours stock? I've never had a stock car I've found "good enough"... Maybe the GT4, but I can't take the kids to school in it - at least not all at one time! I'd think if saving money is the goal, the M2 is a great all around car which is why I hope to get one (assuming the dealer doesn't jack me around). That said, I'd rather thave the Golf/GT4 combo, and mod the hell out of the golf. They are very tunable, and an exhaust/tune is +100hp, a stiffer rear bar and an alignment would take any "boring" out. Why anybody would get an automatic though, that's another ball of wax
+1 for Golf R owners
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 11:08 PM   #29
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Congratulations.
If your e90 Was a turbo model I am honestly shocked you haven't had an electric fuel pump failure, valve cover screws broken and big leak, premature idler failures or leaking turbo oil line.

If it was not a turbo model then that is really not comparable to the m2 which is
More complex. For one the m2 is direct injected high compression and high boost. It uses an electric rack which is fairly new and untested. It uses a fairly recent cylinder liner process where material is welded onto the block not an iron sleeve. It has a pretty complicated rear differential and idrive.

I'm on my 4th BMW and 123k miles is my highest mileage and I have already had to deal with a clutch shudder at 28k, water pump plastic impeller failures, plastic expansion tanks that crack, 3 fuel pumps replaced in both e46s at 88k and 118k and 1M fuel pump at 10k miles! Several window regulators and a radio in my e46 that when it went bad nothing in the interior worked until it was replaced! Windows stopped moving, flashers quit working, sunroof, locks all because the radio took a dump. 3 of my 4 BMWs have had their High or low Pressure fuel pumps replaced and the one that still has the original pump only has 16k miles.

I love these cars and they give me enough enjoyment to cover the high maintenance costs but I go into it with eyes open.

Since you mentioned that high operating costs were a concern, that is why I mentioned that once warranty is out you might actually have higher costs than you realize.
Mine is the 06 330i so it's non turbo. I replaced my water pump proactively at 170,000 miles because I was already in the neighborhood when I was replacing the AC compressor and didn't figure any BMW water pump could be expected to last any longer. They do take care and feeding without question.

Forgot that I also had window regulator issues, both rears about 5 years ago, just had another one fail today which reminded me. These cars are definitely not Honda's.

Last edited by pruettfan; 08-26-2016 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 11:20 PM   #30
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Congratulations.
If your e90 Was a turbo model I am honestly shocked you haven't had an electric fuel pump failure, valve cover screws broken and big leak, premature idler failures or leaking turbo oil line.

If it was not a turbo model then that is really not comparable to the m2 which is
More complex. For one the m2 is direct injected high compression and high boost. It uses an electric rack which is fairly new and untested. It uses a fairly recent cylinder liner process where material is welded onto the block not an iron sleeve. It has a pretty complicated rear differential and idrive.

I'm on my 4th BMW and 123k miles is my highest mileage and I have already had to deal with a clutch shudder at 28k, water pump plastic impeller failures, plastic expansion tanks that crack, 3 fuel pumps replaced in both e46s at 88k and 118k and 1M fuel pump at 10k miles! Several window regulators and a radio in my e46 that when it went bad nothing in the interior worked until it was replaced! Windows stopped moving, flashers quit working, sunroof, locks all because the radio took a dump. 3 of my 4 BMWs have had their High or low Pressure fuel pumps replaced and the one that still has the original pump only has 16k miles.

I love these cars and they give me enough enjoyment to cover the high maintenance costs but I go into it with eyes open.

Since you mentioned that high operating costs were a concern, that is why I mentioned that once warranty is out you might actually have higher costs than you realize.
Mine is the 06 330i so it's non turbo. I replaced my water pump proactively at 170,000 miles because I was already in the neighborhood when I was replacing the AC compressor and didn't figure any BMW water pump could be expected to last any longer. They do take care and feeding without question.
Yeah. Not the same thing as the M2. It's
More Complicated and expensive.

Anyway my whole point was that if your main consideration was operating costs then you might give up a gt4 which should be reliable for a car that might cost almost as Much to operate once warranty expires. Also the gt4 will be a classic and collectible. Best wishss
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #31
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buumer View Post
I traded my M235i after 25k miles for the R and I believe the R offers a more raw and visceral experience. Perhaps it being 200 pounds slimmer or the more compact wheelbase, but the R provides more feedback than I ever got in the BMW.
This just proves to me people are very different. The Golf R maybe is better in manual form, but for me the car is as others have said probably one of the best fun daily drivers you can have, but did not feel as frisky or special as the M235 did to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
R is a good car. we are in the golden age of sports cars - drive them all!!!
I never said it wasn't good, however it does have VW "quirks."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minch View Post
I have a golf R and got an M2 on order to replace it. Great car and fun just does not offer that special something which the M2 has. Its a shame the golf Rs are as common as 320ds in the UK due to attractive finance and lease deals. If VW had kept the R more exclusive I would have been more tempted to keep it. Considering your location you have no real need for 4wd like we do in the UK so I can see why the golf is a less attractive option to you.

However GT4 I can only dream of one for now, so I would say keep it.
Yes Golf Rs are very common, and I agree they are not special. I felt the STi was more direct / unique feeling. There is no doubt the GT4 is a fantastic car, I'm sure if I sell it I will whine about it (Like I did my '02 M Coupe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
How did you spec your GT4? Miles? I personally have been waiting for this unicorn and the magical phone call from my SA....but I doubt it's happening anytime soon.

If you sell your GT4, you'd get a premium for it given its limited availability. If you're looking to consolidate and shed expenses this makes the most sense.

I personally own a Golf R and have been considering cross shopping for an M2 but I would like to wait until they work the kinks out and these stealerships to stop gouging everyone.

Everyone bashing R for what the car is because every reviewer has stated this is the perfect all around daily. It isn't meant to blow your mind but it gets the job done. I enjoy mine and I live in Houston where everything is flat and the only twisty turns are U-Turns

TBH, no one can change your mind about how you feel about your cars but one thing is for sure life is short and drive the hell out of them or you'll regret it.

GT4 was spec'd by someone else, I got lucky it was unclaimed and bought it. I paid too much though especially since I was offered an un-configured build a month later at MSRP. Yep that sucked. Mine I probably won't get a premium for because it doesn't have LWBs.

No doubt Golf R is a great DD, and great all arounder. "It isn't meant to blow your mind" <- That's exactly my problem with it. I'm sure the M2 will be more smiles per mile.

#YOLO I agree..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
Yes I generally keep cars stock besides changing brake pads/adding higher temp fluid. I bought the Golf R with DSG because of traffic, but yes I regret that. I have no doubt it's likely much better with a 6MT.
Appreciate 0