BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > I traded F80 for GT4 and test drove the M2.

04-19-2016, 02:36 AM   #111
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLOimJ View Post
yawn... a superior engine with more horsepower and same weight makes it FASTER period.. it even weighs almost the same! "frankenstein engine"? its simply a cost cutting measure! The short wheelbase makes it seem more nimble, thats all. Similar argument with the 135 and 335.. i know because i had a 135!

No insecurity here at all actually, I call a spade a spade.. there is simply some Koolaid being drunk LOL @ the m4 being rosie as its much much much better looking than the m2 from every possible angle.

Finally, you can hide behind ur internet screen and type insults about my car sounding awful, I'm sure ur IS sounds the part.

Enjoy your cars in good health friends.
Sounds like I touched a nerve. In Euro trim, I believe the M2 weighs about 135 less than the M4. We all know that it (the engine) was a cost cutting measure and a way for the M2 to not surpass the M4.
Most of us have called the M2 a spade a spade, I do too. But you came here, said that the car was pig, it's this, it's that. If this car is a pig and on short tracks it is beating the M4, it must be a very nimble pig, so that begs the question, what is the M4?

Dude, I am not hiding, you are the one who brought up the way your car sounded, and you said people said "damn", which is left up to interpretation. Why are you M3/M4 owners getting bent out of shape and defensive about how you car sounds? There must be some truth to it. And truth be told, the M2 sounds a lot better than my IS. I ain't gonna lie, be angry, or be defensive, the truth is the truth. I accept it.

It just seems like lil brother M235i had been putting time in the gym, got swole up to M2 status and now is putting up bench and squat numbers equal to or better than big brother M4, and the girls are giving him more attention, and the M2 has a great personality and is fun to be around and the M4 (you owners) are feeling the heat and getting a tad jelly and defensive.
Don't hate bro, the Koolaid, nor the Hateraid tastes good.

Last edited by IS3andME; 04-19-2016 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2016, 03:16 AM   #112
Chez
Brit Abroad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Frozen Black M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Fair enough statement... however, if the M2 can do essentially everything an M4 can do for less money, it's quite a value proposition

So, people may choose an M2 for the size or price and they are not sacrificing much in the way of performance. The "extra engineering" (whatever that means) doesn't really mean much if you can't see it or feel it. You can see it in the cabin on the M4 but from all accounts, you can't feel it in the way the cars drive. If anything, many are reporting the M2 feels more lively and fun notwithstanding the ultimate numbers the M4 put up.
I got my M4 after hearing about the M2 and decided not to wait. I'm glad I made the choice I did.

There's something about the M2 that just looks.. off.. to my eye (I know many disagree, and that's fine). The M Performance parts for the M2 are also really ugly IMO.

Also, the M4 is a practical daily driver. The M2 is just too small to be that IMO.

As for the exhaust note, I haven't heard it in person but from videos (which are a terrible way to try to judge exhaust sound in my experience), it does sound better than a stock M4.. of course, all of that's irrelevant when aftermarket comes into play.

Another big drawback (for me, at least) is the lack of options and individual program with the M2.

I can understand the appeal of the M2 completely though. Just not for me.

Instagram @M4TTE_BMW

More info and photos here.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 05:13 AM   #113
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Should have kept the F80 and added a GT4, best of both worlds.
I went the Macan GTS and GT4 route.
How do you like the Macan GTS? Thinking to go that route as well as I do not care for the M3/M4 and M2 may too small for my daily driver
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 06:11 AM   #114
Fraser
Private
Rep
Drives: 3.0 E89 Z4/M2 MG Oct arrival

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
And thank god someone with a gt4 said what a M2 owner can't without sounding uppity and condescending to M3's and 4's owners.
I've driven the 2,3 and 4 around mount panorama earlier this year and I have (and had at that time) an M2 on order.
After the day was over (kudos to BMW, amazing day) I walked away with a overwhelming love of the M2 and a respect and admiration of the 3&4.
The 3&4 were nicer places to sit, they had more gravitas on the track, especially at the limiter down Conrad straight, they were more refined cars, even more complete driving machines if you like.
But.
The M2 was more sheer fun to belt around than pretty much any car I've ever driven. Certainly in its category.
It's a little hooligan brother that's unintentionally showing up its private school older siblings, and judging by this reveiw, it's whole peer group.
It's not doing this with any sense of malice or ambition to be the best, it's just finding itself on the podium because it was literally made to be there.
Thank you for your candour and an awesome review.

NB: please don't think I'm dissing the M3 & M4, amazing machines, either of which I would be proud to own.
Just prefer the way the M2 makes me feel.

PS: this is not a price point issue haters! I could afford any of the cars, its a love of driving issue.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #115
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
But you came here, said that the car was pig, it's this, it's that. if this car is a pig and on short tracks it is beating the M4, it must be a very nimble pig, so that begs the question, what is the M4?
This is so true....just proves that pigs can fly after all
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #116
Fraser
Private
Rep
Drives: 3.0 E89 Z4/M2 MG Oct arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalter14 View Post
I have been lurking here for months reading about M2 updates / user reviews and I cannot help comment on what a double barreled shit shotgun loaded with m2 propaganda you are just firing all over the place. For god sake you are the least objective, most bias user I have ever encountered on these boards it is quite irritating reading your posts.

Im new to the site but he seems a nice guy with a serious love of his car, he's pretty positive and rarely rude.

You on the other hand have purely posted to whinge about him publicly...

Nothing about cars, nothing positive or constructive.

If you have nothing nice to say mate, why say anything at all?
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2016, 07:32 AM   #117
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post
How do you like the Macan GTS? Thinking to go that route as well as I do not care for the M3/M4 and M2 may too small for my daily driver
The Macan GTS is great and for people who wants higher end luxary, utility and sporty drive. The interior is quiet and I like the new PCM much better than the I-Drive. As of now I feel it's the perfect daily driver if you live in snow areas. Finally we don't need to compromise a crappy ride with good driving feel. The option I missed out is burmeister and wish I gotten full leather. The brakes feel more like a F80 rather than the typical Porsche though.

Go test drive both the M2 and Macan and see what fits your needs if you can. The Macan GTS is tough to find and the M2 is even harder.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #118
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdshah View Post
You can make it any color you want. That rear looks like a Nissan. You 2 series guys get real defensive - I am a fan of what the M2 can do and was annoyed that my M3 couldn't get the power down. The M2 really fits the mold but in all honesty I don't buy cars for ring times. I buy car for the complete package...
I think it looks good from that angle

I don't like the rear 3/4 view, fenders just look off to me. But, I haven't seen it in person. I'm definitely intrigued by the m2.

I wish it had 1m style fenders, it would be perfect
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #119
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S.A
I did something similar got rid of my m6 gran coupe and got a GT3 and a M4
Oh, so you got a smaller " gran coupe " then
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 08:22 AM   #120
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

You're welcome mate no worries

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #121
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
And thank god someone with a gt4 said what a M2 owner can't without sounding uppity and condescending to M3's and 4's owners.
I've driven the 2,3 and 4 around mount panorama earlier this year and I have (and had at that time) an M2 on order.
After the day was over (kudos to BMW, amazing day) I walked away with a overwhelming love of the M2 and a respect and admiration of the 3&4.
The 3&4 were nicer places to sit, they had more gravitas on the track, especially at the limiter down Conrad straight, they were more refined cars, even more complete driving machines if you like.
But.
The M2 was more sheer fun to belt around than pretty much any car I've ever driven. Certainly in its category.
It's a little hooligan brother that's unintentionally showing up its private school older siblings, and judging by this reveiw, it's whole peer group.
It's not doing this with any sense of malice or ambition to be the best, it's just finding itself on the podium because it was literally made to be there.
Thank you for your candour and an awesome review.

NB: please don't think I'm dissing the M3 & M4, amazing machines, either of which I would be proud to own.
Just prefer the way the M2 makes me feel.

PS: this is not a price point issue haters! I could afford any of the cars, its a love of driving issue.
The problem with " new BMW fan " is that they came to the M3 when it was a big luxury car and not when it was what in E30, E36, E46 guise. With those models it was a nimble playful sports car , not a comfy cushy grand tourer that can perform well on a big track.

The M3 was a fun car .. Not a 5 series sedan.

It's great for what it is today but BMW really should have just created a 4 series and called them M4 sedan , M4 coupe and kept
The 3 series small rather than chase mid size sales crowns. They will be passed by Mercedes this year anyway, as Mercedes brought in the CLA and still has the c class selling in the same segment.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #122
Fortyb
M-GAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
1:12.2 Bingo

Cheers
Robin
And, at Streets of Willow, 1:22.73 vs the M4's 1:22.94
Since you brought track times into the picture let's not forget...
Nurburgring times:

BMW M2: 7:58

BMW M4: 7:52
      04-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #123
Fortyb
M-GAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyb View Post
I'm saying that you are seriously reading too deep into these post..Take a chill pill.
I will say it again an M2 is nice but I will not run to the dealer ship to give up my M3 because the car is more fun.. An M is an M enough said on this.
I feel you man, I was just saying that every review so far has said the M2 is more fun, but I could definitely see someone thinking the M3 is more fun. Was just saying what the reviews said.
No biggie.. I wish I could have both cars in my Garage..but the wife is not feeling that.
      04-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #124
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Fair enough statement... however, if the M2 can do essentially everything an M4 can do for less money, it's quite a value proposition

So, people may choose an M2 for the size or price and they are not sacrificing much in the way of performance. The "extra engineering" (whatever that means) doesn't really mean much if you can't see it or feel it. You can see it in the cabin on the M4 but from all accounts, you can't feel it in the way the cars drive. If anything, many are reporting the M2 feels more lively and fun notwithstanding the ultimate numbers the M4 put up.
I got my M4 after hearing about the M2 and decided not to wait. I'm glad I made the choice I did.

There's something about the M2 that just looks.. off.. to my eye (I know many disagree, and that's fine). The M Performance parts for the M2 are also really ugly IMO.

Also, the M4 is a practical daily driver. The M2 is just too small to be that IMO.

As for the exhaust note, I haven't heard it in person but from videos (which are a terrible way to try to judge exhaust sound in my experience), it does sound better than a stock M4.. of course, all of that's irrelevant when aftermarket comes into play.

Another big drawback (for me, at least) is the lack of options and individual program with the M2.

No need to explain to these M2 lovers (not that I dislike the M2). There is no doubt the M4 is a more refined M car. Yes the M2 might be more old school bmw but the M4 is not cheaped out likw the M2 and have a classier look
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #125
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post

I agree on the 2 series generally having some really weird angles. I think the M2 is far and away the best looking option in the 2 series lineup, but something about that rear quarter panel (not the flares, just the length and angle itself) is definitely off. I could never place it exactly with my 235, but some of the problem there was the "flat butt" effect of the regular 2 series cars.

The M2's butt is a lot better and cures some of this problem, but not all of it IMO...
      04-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #126
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc328 View Post
No need to explain to these M2 lovers (not that I dislike the M2). There is no doubt the M4 is a more refined M car. Yes the M2 might be more old school bmw but the M4 is not cheaped out likw the M2 and have a classier look
Thank you for trying to get refocused on the facts and not being incendiary or anything. Haha... you actually make the people you seem to be trying to refute appear more justified in their "M3/4 users just trying to make themselves feel better" argument. Their both good cars... neither is "cheaped out" and I don't think the M4 is classier, personally. I think it has a more luxe appeal, but class and luxe are quite different. It is, as many others have said, more of a grand tourer. Just different. Costs more to get that performance at that size. I want to move my S65 motor into the M2. heh... fuck that S55 stuff.
      04-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #127
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

How about this.
If the M3/M4 and the M2 were the exact same price, Would you buy the M2?
If you say yes, I will not believe you, haha.

Don't get me wrong, The M2 as I said, is amazing.
      04-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #128
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyb View Post
Since you brought track times into the picture let's not forget...
Nurburgring times:

BMW M2: 7:58

BMW M4: 7:52
Right - which is what I was mentioning earlier as well - shorter tracks "should" lend themselves to a more nimble car, where tracks that are longer and have significant straights "should" lend themselves to a higher BHP car. Those times make sense to me.

A lot of things come into play on the Ring though...for instance, a 981 CS does it in 7:55, and I think the new 718 is 7:42...and both those cars have less BHP than the M2 and significantly less than the M4. Weight, brakes, tires and chassis set-up matter a lot on the track as well...

Imagine an M2 CSL/CS/GTS/whatever they want to call it. Bump it up to an slightly detuned S55 (maybe 400 bhp), give it the same weight loss treatment as the M3/4 (they lost like 100 pounds compared to the E92, right?), widen the tires to at least normal M3/4 sizes, and guess what you've got? The best of all BMW worlds.
      04-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #129
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Quote:
Thank you for trying to get refocused on the facts and not being incendiary or anything. Haha... you actually make the people you seem to be trying to refute appear more justified in their "M3/4 users just trying to make themselves feel better" argument. Their both good cars... neither is "cheaped out" and I don't think the M4 is classier, personally. I think it has a more luxe appeal, but class and luxe are quite different. It is, as many others have said, more of a grand tourer. Just different. Costs more to get that performance at that size. I want to move my S65 motor into the M2. heh... fuck that S55 stuff.
Cheaped out might be too harsh haha...I should of said cost cutting

I know all of it dont matter when the car drives good but the M2 is just using parts from the M3/4. Minor engine tweaks, same interior from the m235i other than the stitching and m perf cf trims. Move the driver seat angle instead of changing the steering position, no M mirrors, no CF roof.....alot here dont care for M mirros, but give me a fukin break BMW, why cheaped out on M Mirrors lol

I want to see what they'll bring on the M2 LCI
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #130
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I am an M4 lover (I own one) and it is, absolutely, a more refined car. I am also an M2 lover and don't consider it to be "cheaped out" at all... it's a different experience and exactly what it should be. They never intended to have the M2 cost as much as an M3 and to do everything everyone wants (CF stuff, etc), it would have been. That would be idiotic from a product placement perspective for BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschy View Post
How about this.

Then you won't believe me when I tell you I own an M4 and am choosing to buy an M2 The money side was of limited impact to the decision (I was flip flopping between a C63 coupe, an M4 with CP and the M2). To be clear, that is NOT to say the M2 is a better car but it is a DIFFERENT experience and will provide a DIFFERENT type of fun for daily and track use. So, even if they were the same price, I would still choose the M2. Having said that, if they were the same price I'd also expect a better quality, full Merino leather
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 04-19-2016 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #131
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschy View Post
How about this.

I've driven both, and can afford both at either price point. If the M4 I drove (which was 84 grand+ tax, license, etc. with a performance exhaust and a bunch of other fancy stuff) was the same price as the M2 is now, I'd buy the M2 in a heartbeat.

That is because I already have a lot of what the M4 offers in another car. And I have an almost completely dedicated track car. But what I am missing is my old E36 M3 DD, and as Adjuster correctly said in another post, people like me will always pick the M2 over the M3/M4 in such a situation.

We don't own cars in a vacuum. We all own different cars, from which we want different things. It should therefore not be a real mind-bender that the M2 is more desirable to certain of us, price independent.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #132
gabeyts
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-Sport

In regards to the M2 v M4 argument... Obviously the M4 is better on paper but for some people like me, the size is almost a non starter.
Appreciate 0