BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Does anyone have/driven the new Infiniti G37?

01-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
jgordonwin
Rep
Drives:

Does anyone have/driven the new Infiniti G37?

Ok, since i am have pretty much narrowed it down to 2 cars for my next car, 135 and G37 coupe. i haven't driven either but i currently drive a 2004 G35. For those that have driven the g37, what are your impressions? i don't think it will beat a 135 in a straight line but its supposed to handle/brake pretty good. i'm interested to hear others opinions on the car, especially compared to the 135. i know most people compare g37 to the 335 based on size, but the truth is based on price, the 135 and g37 are much closer competitors. I hope we a get a magazine to do a comparo on these 2 in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
bavarianbutcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

I HAVE! it was a fully loaded g37s. auto tranny with the paddle shifters. Pretty nice car. The car was real solid, as far as handling. I never got to take it to a track or anything like that but i could tell it was well balanced. Tho, the suspension is pretty tight and you CAN feel just about every bump. Steering is very responsive, light. The steering wheel is pretty small and skinny compared to bmw but nicely formed to the hands. Feels like a jet. More technology but also means it will all probably not work here in a few years. the paddle shift is...... well lets just say it's for little boys that dream about being able to drive a manual and control the engine tone. Its seats are FAT but comfy. seemed more rubbery than actual leather. the looks: front looks cool and aggressive but the back looks like it was designed by a completely dif person. visibility, while sitting inside if you cant afford the back up camera you better have good insurance. good power. I would say much more towards luxury and comfort than (bmw) performance and enthusiasm. take your pick. I own a bmw (quite a bit older than the g37) and it feels ever so more balanced and well.....right. I would never replace a bmw for an infinity UNLESS it was a near free infinity!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianbutcher View Post
I HAVE! it was a fully loaded g37s. auto tranny with the paddle shifters. Pretty nice car. The car was real solid, as far as handling. I never got to take it to a track or anything like that but i could tell it was well balanced. Tho, the suspension is pretty tight and you CAN feel just about every bump. Steering is very responsive, light. The steering wheel is pretty small and skinny compared to bmw but nicely formed to the hands. Feels like a jet. More technology but also means it will all probably not work here in a few years. the paddle shift is...... well lets just say it's for little boys that dream about being able to drive a manual and control the engine tone. Its seats are FAT but comfy. seemed more rubbery than actual leather. the looks: front looks cool and aggressive but the back looks like it was designed by a completely dif person. visibility, while sitting inside if you cant afford the back up camera you better have good insurance. good power. I would say much more towards luxury and comfort than (bmw) performance and enthusiasm. take your pick. I own a bmw (quite a bit older than the g37) and it feels ever so more balanced and well.....right. I would never replace a bmw for an infinity UNLESS it was a near free infinity!
Very good review. Does your BMW have the sport package??
      01-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
mgarritson
Rep
Drives:

I drove the G37S (sport model) with the manual transmission and was really let down by it's lack of power. Everything about the car was top-notch except for that. I currently drive a modified Evo and in no way expected the power of the G37 to match it, but there was too much of a gap to buy one. Especially with the 135i around the corner. Very nice car though.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Pitcherman
Rep
Drives:

Funny cause I had the same dilemma two month ago. I do not share the same opinion as bavarianbutcher. I thought the car was not solid. Being french I do not have as much vocabulary as you guys to express myself but I certainly did not feel the road as much as I did in the 335i. To me the G37 would suit more for my 50 year old uncle who is looking for comfort but wants to have fun sometime. The sound of the engine though was awesome!!! I also think the interior was nicer than almost every BMW but I opted for the pleasure of driving and put down a deposit on a 135i. After spending 2h30 in front of the 135i at the Montreal Auto Show I must say I am pretty happy with my choice. You get less gadgets in the 135i but at the end of the day, to me, it's all about driving and feeling the road.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Pitcherman - your English is much better than my French!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
Pitcherman
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Pitcherman - your English is much better than my French!

Thanks man! Up here in Montreal you have to be bilingual otherwise you can't get a decent job.

FYI: Stupid BMW Canada charges approximatly 15% to 20% more than BMW US for two almost identical car.

:bs:

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
its the altimas retard looking fast cousin
      01-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzodesh View Post
exactly what i was thinking...G37 vs Altima Coupe!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
Pitcherman
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKSC27 View Post
exactly what i was thinking...G37 vs Altima Coupe!!

All I'm telling you that if you compare two almost identical 135i you will pay 15% to 20% more in Canada.

What does it have to do with an Altima??? :iono:

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcherman View Post
WTF are you guys saying??

I'm telling you that if you compare two almost identical 135i you will pay 15% to 20% more in Canada.

What does it have to do with an Altima??? :iono:
hahaha ok relax buddy, we are just saying, atleast i am, that the G37 looks like a more expensive altima coupe (and thats basically what it is), thats all
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
Pitcherman
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
hahaha ok relax buddy, we are just saying, atleast i am, that the G37 looks like a more expensive altima coupe (and thats basically what it is), thats all

lol!!

You're right!!

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

hmmmm...if infiniti made a twin turbo G37S with possible all wheel drive and pushin 350hp for 40K, would anyone consider it!?

i know i would!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #14
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
hmmmm...if infiniti made a twin turbo G37S with possible all wheel drive and pushin 350hp for 40K, would anyone consider it!?

i know i would!!!
consider is the key word here. I would most likely shell out the money for the BMW personally:roundel: It would be the winner by my books
      01-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #15
SCMike
[ex-Stilyaga]
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slowly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzodesh View Post
Only if you believe an apple and an orange are related because both are round fruit. Altima (coupe or not) = FWD. G37 = RWD. Totally different chassis behavior. They may look vaguely alike, but when driven are totally different creatures - and their specifications are as different as chalk and cheese. The Altima coupe is a pure poseur's car. The G37 is not.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #16
bavarianbutcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Very good review. Does your BMW have the sport package??

yes sir it does. but honestly i would not pay the extra money for it on the 1er. i think it almost looks cheaper with than without. its a bmw. sport package or not its already sporty, fast, and handles like a dream. plus sport suspension is too tight and makes a ride (yes even a fast one) somewhat un enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #17
Night1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgordonwin View Post
Ok, since i am have pretty much narrowed it down to 2 cars for my next car, 135 and G37 coupe. i haven't driven either but i currently drive a 2004 G35. For those that have driven the g37, what are your impressions? i don't think it will beat a 135 in a straight line but its supposed to handle/brake pretty good. i'm interested to hear others opinions on the car, especially compared to the 135. i know most people compare g37 to the 335 based on size, but the truth is based on price, the 135 and g37 are much closer competitors. I hope we a get a magazine to do a comparo on these 2 in the near future.
I was choosing between the two as well. I test drove (twice) a fully loaded G37S manual. Quick good and bad:

Good: Gorgeous interior, awesome nav/stereo, good exhaust sound, good value
Bad: Not fast enough, felt heavy, manual was hard to drive smooth, looks boring from some angles

The 135 is going to smoke the G37 on the street. Not to mention, we are getting BMW quality and finish for about the same price as the G37. Once I decided on the 135, I haven't looked back.

If I were you, I would go test drive the G37 soon, so you can hurry up an order your 135. :headbang: Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #18
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
You what they say scratch off a lexus you got Toyota scratch off a infinity and you have a nissan and scratch off a BMW and you get a BMW.
      01-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #19
jgordonwin
Rep
Drives:

i really can't wait to see/drive the 135. i like the g35 i drive now. It does alot of things well and a couple things really well but its missing some important things as well. For example, the brakes are far stronger than any BMW but it lacks the overall grip of a BMW. Road feeling is really good with sharp turn in and is controllable at the limit. It tends to "skip" over imperfections in the road and does not feel as ridgid as a BMW. The interior might have more tech. but the materials aren't nearly as good as in any BMW. My brother has a 330i ZXP and its overall a better car. Not quite as fast, but the new engine will take car of that. Its poise, grip, and balance is just so much better overall. I've also done a few things to my G35 that have made it a bit faster and handle better. the problem is the 135 and most BMWs are just so much more $$ than any comparable car. I weant to my local BMW dealership, and the rates on the car are just insane. To lease a 135i, at about 43,500, with premium, sport, navi, they want 600+ a month for the car. I realize that the car is new and rates will drop but even at 550 a month, thats still on the expensive side.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #20
peppebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

I drove it. Nice car but it lacked soul. Didn't inspire me the way I believe the turbo charged one series will.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 01:06 AM   #21
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

During my car search, i drove the Acura TL-S, Lexus IS350, the Infiniti G37S, and the BMW 335i, (before i knew about the 1er) and here's my list

1) BMW 335i - Best power response, no lag, very solid steering feel and felt perfectly at home going 120mi/hr.
2) Lexus IS350 - To me this car was the top contender for the 335i, more so than the G37S. It has great pick up, a better looking interior in my opinion, but the back seats are very cramped, it doesn't come in a manual and i could've done without some of the bells and whistles.
3) Infiniti G37S - A little lacking in the power department when compared to the cars mentioned. But had a solid steering, quick response. Even though i didn't get to drive it hard (... middle aged female SA) all i saw was the comfort and luxury. I was really digging the navi and backup cam tho.
4) Acura TL-S - no comparision in both power and agility. I guess the boy racer in me just wanted to sit in it .
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #22
Robinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I drove a G37s with the auto transmission and currently drive a G35 coupe 6mt. I was pretty set on the G37 being my next car even after finding out that it weighed as much as it did and the performance numbers were not what i hoped they would be. My thoughts after the test drive were that overall, it was much more refined than my g35, the steering was a littler more responsive, the engine was not quite as buzzy, there was less road vibration inside the cabin, the interior was much nicer and the technology was pretty cool. I don't really know what it was, but it didn't really get my blood stirring like the first time i saw the G35 at the New york auto show.

To me all of the Asian sport coupes are starting to look alike, I wanted somethind different. I wanted a car with an engine that would respond to mods better than the G, a car that for a few thousand dollars could run with just about anything on the street, and by know means am I that guy who goes around trying to race everything in sight, it's just a nice feeling to have. That's why I ordered a 135i, I know that I'm sacrificing a little luxury and a little technology, but i'm almost positive that the first time I drive My 1er, I gonna care less about that stuff. Driving is one of my greatest enjoyments, and I know the 135i is gonna be hell on wheels!
Appreciate 0