BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Bad day for my street/strip car :(

03-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Bad day for my street/strip car :(

Well I have had a 69' Chevy Nova since I was 15 years old that I bought from the original owner for $500! I drove it daily for awhile then started modding it a lot and over the past 15 years my dad, brother and I have had done a lot of work to it. Currently it has a low compression 8:1 408ci big block chevy engine that just a few days ago managed 544 rwhp on motor alone and a 250 shot of nitrous which pushed it to just under 800 rwhp. The motor is set up for a single turbo which we were in the process of fabricating. My goal was 800 rwhp with the turbo alone.

Well the car has a 'spool' in it as a temporary fix after I destroyed the posi unit. Those not familiar with a spool, well it essential locks the rear tires together, they spin as one unit. There is no slip, so basically, when you point the car in one direction, thats where it is going to go, there is not much maneuvering around. My dad decided to take the car to fill it up with some pump 93octane since we were heading to the track on Saturday. He decided to 'hammer it down' from a 20-30 mph roll (on an isolated back country road, no traffic, no cars around, no houses, people,etc...about as safe as you can get on a public road), and the tires spun some then hooked hard, unfortunately with the nose of the car pointed towards the side of the road. It didn't take long to gain some speed (car has run 6.50s@107 in 1/8th), and it headed straight into a ditch about 60mph+, with the front passenger fender diving into the ground then catapulting the car into a 180 spin on its side and then flipping completely and landing on the roof!!! My dad got banged up and bruised, but fortunately my car has a 8 point roll cage and he was wearing the 5 point racing harness. No major injuries for him thank god. I think his pride is hurt more than anything. Basically every panel of the car is damaged and the worse part is there may be some frame damage. I just have 'car show' insurance on this car, so no getting it fixed that way...sadly, it may never be the same.

Sorry for the long write up. Just pretty bummed out about the whole ordeal and just thankful my dad is ok. You can always replace a car, but can't replace your family!

Post wouldn't be appropriate without some pics. Sorry not the highest quality as they are from an iphone. Looks like I need an N54 now more than ever to get my 1/4 mile fix. Be safe on the streets everyone!

Before

After

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that buddy! I am glad you dad is fine, and look on the bright side. You have a new project!
      03-29-2008, 04:33 AM   #3
Ru$$ell
M0derator
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: your mom

sorry to hear that man,what 1/4 mile times did you get from it?
      03-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

sorry to hear man, looks like a beast...sounded like one too
      03-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
audiprotein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi a4