BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Hit a retread on the highway - WWYD?

10-31-2022, 03:28 PM   #1
Mark2016MG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2, 6 speed, Mineral Grey

Unhappy Hit a retread on the highway - WWYD?

2016 M2, 54K miles...So I was driving on I4 in FL at night and hit something, came upon a tractor trailer shortly after with a blown rear inner tire still driving. Got home and saw my bumper now has scuff marks and a hole in it . I checked the dashcam footage and I now see there was a piece of retread in the road. I have the footage of the tractor trailer with the blown tire but can only really make out it is a Gordon Food Services truck and the location where it happened. Assuming it can be patched up / filled, likey will be $1K or more to remove and respray based on previous experience.

Thoughts on the pros/cons of...

A. Going through my insurance, I have full coverage

B. Reaching out directly to Gordon Food Services Loss Prevention

C. Paying for it to get fixed out of pocket

D. Clean it up the best I can, move along, and wait until I eventually hit something, something hits me again
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 03:31 PM   #2
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
any claim through insurance or dealership will end up on carfax and hurt your resale. if that's a concern, then go out-of-pocket: see about acquiring a bump through another source (where you dont have to give a VIN), get it painted, and install yourself. should be pretty straight-forward.

regardless, i dont think i'd claim a repair like this. dont know your coverage, but i bet this repair is not too much higher than a $1,000 deductible.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2022, 03:37 PM   #3
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Road ‘gator. That sucks. Sorry about that one. I’d start with trying to get GFS to pay for their problem. You have good photos and evidence so you can always show that to prospective buyers when selling.

I wouldn’t be able to just clean it up and drive it like. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2022, 04:56 PM   #4
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post

regardless, i dont think i'd claim a repair like this. dont know your coverage, but i bet this repair is not too much higher than a $1,000 deductible.
Not sure about Florida, but in California you don't pay your deductible if you are not at fault
      10-31-2022, 08:20 PM   #5
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
I'd file a claim and get a new bumper

Sorry that has happened to you

Might as well do it right
      11-03-2022, 11:49 AM   #6
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
Not sure about Florida, but in California you don't pay your deductible if you are not at fault
FL is a "no fault" state, you lose every step of the way generally.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 01:59 PM   #7
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2016MG View Post
2016 M2, 54K miles...So I was driving on I4 in FL at night and hit something, came upon a tractor trailer shortly after with a blown rear inner tire still driving. Got home and saw my bumper now has scuff marks and a hole in it . I checked the dashcam footage and I now see there was a piece of retread in the road. I have the footage of the tractor trailer with the blown tire but can only really make out it is a Gordon Food Services truck and the location where it happened. Assuming it can be patched up / filled, likey will be $1K or more to remove and respray based on previous experience.

Thoughts on the pros/cons of...

A. Going through my insurance, I have full coverage

B. Reaching out directly to Gordon Food Services Loss Prevention

C. Paying for it to get fixed out of pocket

D. Clean it up the best I can, move along, and wait until I eventually hit something, something hits me again
Roads are littered with tire fragments. Unless you have video of the tire blowing and a piece flying off and hitting your car think you are out of luck.

Hit a Detroit Alligator outside of Strong City KS. Was in my Porsche Boxster. the impact took out the left side radiator. Got the car towed to Wichita KS and had the radiator and some other hardware replaced. Bumper cover was cracked/scuffed some but was not real visible without getting down low. The bumper cover still bolted up nice and tight so I didn't bother to have it replaced.

Didn't file a claim. I was on vacation and heading home to CA and didn't want to deal with the claim and the time and trouble. I just paid to have this fixed out of pocket. Cost around $1200.

Years later my car was hit from behind while stopped at a stop light. The impact while not severe shoved my car into the rear of the SUV in front of my car. Both the rear bumper cover and the front bumper cover of my car had to be replaced. But the at fault driver's insurance adjuster noticed the bumper cover "prior" damage so I had to cough up half the cost of a front bumper cover.

I'd either go with C or D.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 05:44 PM   #8
joshdub
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E30

Garage List
I'd just pay out of pocket as well as get a new bumper
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 10:08 AM   #9
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

Quote:
Something like this falls under comprehensive, and I still had to pay my deductible when I hit debris on the 5 freeway. I had video footage of it on my dashcam. Progressive confirmed I wasn't at fault, but since there wasn't another party involved, I still had to pay deductible....PRETTY TRASH.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 02:10 AM   #10
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Can't believe retreads are still legal. You can buy a myriad of cheap & nasty new Tyres, there is absolutely no need for retreads to be manufactured. The amount of failed retreads you see on roadsides proves they are not safe for the intended use & should simply have been banned years ago.
      11-11-2022, 11:58 AM   #11
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altra View Post
Quote:
Something like this falls under comprehensive, and I still had to pay my deductible when I hit debris on the 5 freeway. I had video footage of it on my dashcam. Progressive confirmed I wasn't at fault, but since there wasn't another party involved, I still had to pay deductible....PRETTY TRASH.
Same for me with Mercury. So filing comprehensive only makes sense depending on your deductible.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 12:21 PM   #12
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
Same for me with Mercury. So filing comprehensive only makes sense depending on your deductible.
Interesting. I have Mercury and got rear-ended in the X7 by someone with the min of $5k liability. My insurance had to make up the difference for repairs ($30k+) and I didn't pay my deductible since it wasn't my fault. Maybe because there was another party? Mercury would only pay 30 days for a rental, so it ended up costing my 5 x's the deductible for a 4+ month rental. Fun fact, X7s are made in USA, but the parts needed to be shipped (slowly) from Germany.
      11-11-2022, 01:51 PM   #13
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
Interesting. I have Mercury and got rear-ended in the X7 by someone with the min of $5k liability. My insurance had to make up the difference for repairs ($30k+) and I didn't pay my deductible since it wasn't my fault. Maybe because there was another party? Mercury would only pay 30 days for a rental, so it ended up costing my 5 x's the deductible for a 4+ month rental. Fun fact, X7s are made in USA, but the parts needed to be shipped (slowly) from Germany.
Yea, I was referring to filing a comprehensive claim.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 07:53 AM   #14
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Can't believe retreads are still legal. You can buy a myriad of cheap & nasty new Tyres, there is absolutely no need for retreads to be manufactured. The amount of failed retreads you see on roadsides proves they are not safe for the intended use & should simply have been banned years ago.
A tire carcass doesn't have to come from a failed retread. Big rig trailer tires especially are prone to getting a puncture.

The saying is the front tire kicks the nail up the rear tire picks the nail up. The tires further back are at the most risk.

Over the years on my road trips I occasionally (but not even once a trip) see a big rig with a low and about ready to fail tire. In one case the tire blew and I was close enough to hear it. Very loud. But it was on the other side of the truck so thankfully no tire fragments getting launched at my car.

Tire carcasses are a fact of driving on the road. In urban areas there are other things to be on the look out for. I've seen lawn furniture, suitcases, cinder blocks, ladders, spilled paint, rocks, you name it in the road. Once on road south of Blue Springs MO was tooling along and rounded a corner and spotted the biggest snake I've ever seen across the road. Unfortunately I couldn't stop or swerve to avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 11:51 AM   #15
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

OP — would you mind putting a dash in between "re" and "tread" in the title? Every time I scroll past this post I read something else entirely that both shocks and offends haha
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 12:00 PM   #16
WagonMaverick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

1. get estimate for repair
2. Find the local office of the Gordan Foods -
3. locate their fleet manager
4. Send him/her video of incident along with repair quote
5. Let them know what you expect them to pay
6. if the video is clear and your request is under or close to $1,000 my guess is you will probably get a check.
Appreciate 0