jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
first time: stuck entering driveway

Navigating the entrance to my driveway is seemingly the trickiest bit of driving I do. It'll eat my bumper alive if I come at it straight on, so I have to go at it as parallel to the entrance as I can. The more parallel: the faster I can take the entrance without issue.

One of the rear wheels lifts momentarily no matter how I navigate the driveway entrance. If I approach too quickly, the wheel lifts and lowers fairly violently, which I imagine can't be good for the suspension. If I go too slowly, well, I don't make it up and over the transition from road to driveway. And there isn't much difference between too fast and too slow. Usually, if I go too slowly, the car rolls back down the incline and I try again.

Today, the trash receptacles were out on the street. So I had to take a much more perpendicular approach than I'm accustomed to. I went slow. Real slow. I could anticipate hearing the bumper scraping along the driveway entrance and wanted to avoid that at all costs.

As I eased the car up over the transition, I could tell I wasn't going fast enough. I expected the car to roll backward so I could give it another try. Instead the car settled mid-transition with one rear wheel off the ground. I put the car in reverse: the mid-air wheel spun. I put the car in first gear: the mid-air wheel spun.

I had to get out of the car and push it back down the transition so that I could give it another go. I'd been wondering when this day would come. The day was today.

I've love to redo the the incline on my driveway, but that's for another time. And no way I can go lower than stock until such a time.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 12:06 AM   #2
papolosa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Have you tried with traction control off?
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN20287.00
      05-07-2024, 01:53 AM   #3
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.88]
What about a transition strip… ⁉️

https://www.amazon.com/Car-Driveway-...yABEgIKC_D_BwE
      05-07-2024, 09:17 AM   #4
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by papolosa View Post
Have you tried with traction control off?
No, that didn’t occur to me! Would that route more torque to the wheel still on the ground?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 09:19 AM   #5
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
What about a transition strip… ⁉️

https://www.amazon.com/Car-Driveway-...yABEgIKC_D_BwE
I’ve seen those. I’ve seen similar ones made by a company named Bridjit. I’ve avoided the expensive on them this far. It might be time.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN20287.00
      05-07-2024, 09:45 AM   #6
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
I’ve seen those. I’ve seen similar ones made by a company named Bridjit. I’ve avoided the expensive on them this far. It might be time.
From the angle you’re describing, you might only need one
      Today, 09:34 AM   #7
jeff113
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

I've had good luck with using Bridjit for my driveway on Caymans, Corvettes, etc. The M2 isn't that bad in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:44 AM   #8
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff113 View Post
I've had good luck with using Bridjit for my driveway on Caymans, Corvettes, etc. The M2 isn't that bad in comparison.
Admittedly, this was the first time getting stuck on the dreiveway in my two years of ownership of the car. So I suppose that’s not too bad. And it’s certainly part of the reason why I’ve wanted to avoid the expenditure on a Bridjit or similar. Even so, it certainly wasn’t a good feeling to have to get out and push the car off the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:55 AM   #9
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I have the same issue coming into my driveway. (And why I'll never be able to have a front splitter on my car. )

I'm surprised that the LSD didn't lock up and push you through. Depending on angle/speed, my right rear tire often comes off the ground. I can hear the LSD motor zipping and get a clunk as it almost violently locks the diff up so I can maintain traction. Thought something was breaking the first few times I heard it. I try to avoid it though, as I can't imagine a hard slam lock like that is good for the diff clutch packs.

My son has an FRS, and the same issue for him. But that car has a Torsen diff, which handles this much better than a clutch type diff like we have.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN20287.00
      Today, 04:47 PM   #10
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
I'm surprised that the LSD didn't lock up and push you through. Depending on angle/speed, my right rear tire often comes off the ground. I can hear the LSD motor zipping and get a clunk as it almost violently locks the diff up so I can maintain traction. Thought something was breaking the first few times I heard it. I try to avoid it though, as I can't imagine a hard slam lock like that is good for the diff clutch packs.
I had a similar reaction. I’d expected the diff to lock up, send torque to the one rear wheel in contact with the ground, and push the car up over the threshold between the street and dreiveway.

However, I had the clutch fully engaged in both 1st gear and reverse and the car moved nowhere. Just the rear wheel in the air spun. I did engage the clutch without any throttle/accelerator pedal. Maybe that’s part of it? I wonder if there would’ve been a difference if I’d given it a little gas?
Appreciate 0