BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Mechanic provided faulty repair

12-21-2023, 07:00 AM   #1
Tigerino
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87 2017

Mechanic provided faulty repair

Hi all,

I purchased a used F87 N55 2017 LCI M2 recently.

Prior to purchase, an inspection revealed a leaking axle seal. This was replaced by the previous owner as part of our sale agreement. The work was carried out by a reasonably reputable mechanic in NSW (I’m from Victoria).

A few months later and the car started making a noise - turns out the axle was not refitted correctly when they replaced the seal and now has damaged itself to the point of being loose (up on the jack had obvious play in it by hand). On top of that, the was evidence of hammer marks and quite rough work on the suspension components and calipers, which was not evident on the other side. The car has had no previous work on it other than regular maintenance so stands to reason that this “damage” occurred during the axle seal replacement.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience for navigating discussions with the mechanic who provided what I consider to be faulty work which is directly leading me to further costs (the axle requires replacing)?

Are there any particular laws in Australia that would be useful to draw their attention to other than ACCC?

Thank you and best wishes
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 03:41 AM   #2
bruiser135msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 CS & Bmw E21 320i

Consumer Affairs NSW & Victoria

Hi
You should approach your local Consumer Affairs Department and list your complaint .

You need to document the repair with Invoices etc . You will also probably need photos etc .

The only complicating issue is that you might have to deal with NSW if the repairer is registered there .

Over here in Wa the Local Consumer Affairs is very helpful here .

Cheers
Bruce
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 10:05 PM   #3
Tigerino
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87 2017

Cheers Bruce, that’s very helpful advice!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 08:17 PM   #4
Beenz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2CS

A further complication here is that if the repair was paid for by the seller you are gonna have to contact them to assist in pursuing this I suspect. You might not have any direct claim against the mechanic as the repair was commissioned by some else and on a private sale you have no warranty.
The decent thing would be for the mechanic to engage with you, but just be aware they did not perform any services for you so may well just tell you where to stick it. Even if engaging directly with the mechanic I would recommend keeping the seller in the loop.
Hope you can sort something out
Appreciate 0