BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Suspension or HP/Torque upgrade?

09-29-2023, 08:39 AM   #1
SDKIMLAW
Rep
Drives: M2 OG, Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti

Suspension or HP/Torque upgrade?

Now that I've driven my recently acquired OG M2 for over 500 miles I have come to the conclusion (subject to change ) that my money may be better spent on getting a suspension coilovers rather than on modifying to get more HP and Torque. I think the N55 produces enough HP and Torque as is. I bring this up since I don't want to put too much $$$ into this already awesome car. Thoughts please including recommendations on which brand. My use will be 90% street and 10% track. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 08:58 AM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

M Performance Suspension, without question. Vastly better damping, and it makes the car feel much more planted in corners. Increased spring rate, of course, so there will be more up and down movement, but you won't mind much because it feels much better overall, and ALL the crash is gone. Buy a used, low-mileage street-only suspension and you'll be super happy. Absolutely the best bang for the buck.

Honorable mention goes to the Fabspeed Sport Cat. No tune needed, a bit more power, a bit more sound, more exhaust artifacts, and no CEL: complete win.
Appreciate 2
      09-29-2023, 09:27 AM   #3
SDKIMLAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
M Performance Suspension, without question. Vastly better damping, and it makes the car feel much more planted in corners. Increased spring rate, of course, so there will be more up and down movement, but you won't mind much because it feels much better overall, and ALL the crash is gone. Buy a used, low-mileage street-only suspension and you'll be super happy. Absolutely the best bang for the buck.

Honorable mention goes to the Fabspeed Sport Cat. No tune needed, a bit more power, a bit more sound, more exhaust artifacts, and no CEL: complete win.
What's your thoughts on KW Clubsport Kit 3 Way Coilover-Kit?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 10:49 AM   #4
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKIMLAW View Post
What's your thoughts on KW Clubsport Kit 3 Way Coilover-Kit?
Brilliant, but too much for a 90% street car. It's your money though .

I'd save that coin and put it towards throttle response, ie MST inlet and Turbosmart DV (and an aftermarket charge pipe if you don't have it).

The stock pads suck as street pads, and suck as track pads, so that'd be another thing I'd consider changing (if you don't mind the extra work). You can pick up a set of Akebono pads for the street. These will give you 90% less dust, no noise, and offset the 10% extra wear you'll have on the track with track pads. Doing it this way will make your rotors nearly last forever.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-29-2023, 12:46 PM   #5
SDKIMLAW
Rep

Quote:
Brilliant, but too much for a 90% street car. It's your money though .

I'd save that coin and put it towards throttle response, ie MST inlet and Turbosmart DV (and an aftermarket charge pipe if you don't have it).

The stock pads suck as street pads, and suck as track pads, so that'd be another thing I'd consider changing (if you don't mind the extra work). You can pick up a set of Akebono pads for the street. These will give you 90% less dust, no noise, and offset the 10% extra wear you'll have on the track with track pads. Doing it this way will make your rotors nearly last forever.
Really appreciate your input!!! I found a few retailers selling KW V3 Kit for about $3,200 on Ebay, though it doesn't come with the EDC Cancellation kit.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      09-29-2023, 07:33 PM   #6
AFatMiata
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW OG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKIMLAW View Post
Really appreciate your input!!! I found a few retailers selling KW V3 Kit for about $3,200 on Ebay, though it doesn't come with the EDC Cancellation kit.
If you’ve got an OG you don’t have EDC and don’t need an EDC cancellation kit.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 12:19 PM   #7
SDKIMLAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFatMiata View Post
If you’ve got an OG you don’t have EDC and don’t need an EDC cancellation kit.
Thanks for the clarification!!
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2023, 08:14 AM   #8
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Suspension is one of the best upgrades on this car as is, let alone a used one that has a suspension that is likely already worn. Coilovers (M Performance, KW, Bilstein, Ohlins, etc) are all excellent options, but do a little research based on your goals for the car to find what matches your needs best.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      10-12-2023, 11:02 AM   #9
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

I feel like the best money on the F87 goes towards suspension and that really plays into the strength of the OG (weight & balance). Power though is always fun too - so really just depends on what puts the bigger smile on your face. Will say that adding power with the OG can be detrimental unless you start getting into upgraded cooling along with it. The OG suffers from heat management and increasing power can really amplify this - just something to consider. Light bump in power can be ok but will depend on the track characteristics, driver, pace, etc and just something to watch for if you do bump the power. There are "power" upgrades that will be helpful too on the track but those have already been mentioned so won't get into that also.

Suspension - I will throw our custom Nitron kits out there as well. Excellent performance and ride quality with a lot of happy dual usage customers on them. Pricing is very competitive and will put them up against any of those in both performance & ride - even at the same time (no tradeoff needed here).
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      10-12-2023, 08:19 PM   #10
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
I feel like the best money on the F87 goes towards suspension and that really plays into the strength of the OG (weight & balance). Power though is always fun too - so really just depends on what puts the bigger smile on your face. Will say that adding power with the OG can be detrimental unless you start getting into upgraded cooling along with it. The OG suffers from heat management and increasing power can really amplify this - just something to consider. Light bump in power can be ok but will depend on the track characteristics, driver, pace, etc and just something to watch for if you do bump the power. There are "power" upgrades that will be helpful too on the track but those have already been mentioned so won't get into that also.

Suspension - I will throw our custom Nitron kits out there as well. Excellent performance and ride quality with a lot of happy dual usage customers on them. Pricing is very competitive and will put them up against any of those in both performance & ride - even at the same time (no tradeoff needed here).
If the stock damping wasn't just so bad then it'd be a much harder choice, but the crash just had to go (for me).
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4692.50
chris7197334.00
      10-12-2023, 08:52 PM   #11
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
If the stock damping wasn't just so bad then it'd be a much harder choice, but the crash just had to go (for me).
Yeah if BMW hadn't gotten wonky on the rates and valving it would be a whole different discussion. I was pleasantly surprised today putting a G87 a bit through its paces on a fairly curvy and rough road and it felt improved over the F87 so hopefully BMW is getting back on the right track there. Still room for improvement but better.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 09:35 PM   #12
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I may be in the minority but I have zero problems with the stock suspension and stock power. Been great on both the street and track.
      10-15-2023, 07:17 PM   #13
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Yeah if BMW hadn't gotten wonky on the rates and valving it would be a whole different discussion. I was pleasantly surprised today putting a G87 a bit through its paces on a fairly curvy and rough road and it felt improved over the F87 so hopefully BMW is getting back on the right track there. Still room for improvement but better.
More power, slightly better suspension, I mean, they had to give it something to sell it.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 09:22 PM   #14
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Is add breathing mods to the stock tune, downpipe, intercooler, turbo inlet, charge pipe makes a fairly substantial difference to response and even sound with the stock tune.

I'd do suspension last tbh
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 02:18 AM   #15
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Is add breathing mods to the stock tune, downpipe, intercooler, turbo inlet, charge pipe makes a fairly substantial difference to response and even sound with the stock tune.

I'd do suspension last tbh
Yes all together it makes a huge difference

I’m on a stock tune and the car has been absolutely transformed with everything you listed above

My brother Nick has a tuned F82 and he cannot walk me until after 70 mph…