BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Window Tinting & Clear Bra prices

09-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
M2-007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 - April 2018 Delivery

Window Tinting & Clear Bra prices

I live in Orange County CA. I got a quote for my M2 window tinting and clear bra from UltimateShield below. Do you think these prices are reasonable? Or should I negotiate for a better price?

Window tint runs $229 for our 3M Premium FX film/ $339 for 3M Color Stable/ or $449 for Suntek CXP Carbon, and $699 for 3M Crystalline(your shade choice). Windshield skins run $499.

Clear Bra ….

Total Price* = $799 installed. Includes partial Hood, Fenders, Mirrors / Grill (if applicaple)/ and full front Bumper. Add $799 for Full Hood and Full Fenders. We also have additional protection options available (Rockers $599/ Rear Luggage Pad $89/ Roof & Apillars kit $150/ Headlamp & Foglamp $89). Full vehicle wraps start at $5980 * Sales tax will be 8% on half the total cost. Quote inclusive of 3M, Xpel, and Suntek films(our personal favorite). Add 20% for our signature wrap option.

Scheduling an appointment ….

Most installations take between 3-4 hours for partial coverage and 6-8 for full Hood/ fenders/ rockers, etc. Full vehicles roughly 3-5 days. You are welcome to drop off the vehicle or relax at the shop with complimentary refreshments, Direct TV, PlayStation, and Wireless Internet.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Sounds pricey for tint...got lower quotes for places in LA for Crystalline - so SoCal tint thread for more details (I think it was in the CA forum)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2-007 View Post
$339 for 3M Color Stable
This sounds about right, for that particular film, which is probably the best dye-based film I've used.

Quote:
Clear Bra ….

Total Price* = $799 installed. Includes partial Hood, Fenders, Mirrors / Grill (if applicaple)/ and full front Bumper. Add $799 for Full Hood and Full Fenders.
So, $1600 for full front, basically? That sounds relatively inexpensive based on my research (10-20% less than what I've seen elsewhere). I'd ask about whether he is using pre-cuts, wrapping edges, etc.
      09-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
bazerk007
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LBB 6MT

I was recently quoted $2000 for suntek on the full front and $1500 for xpel full front at a second shop. Both shops are in the Seattle area.

$1600 sounds about right.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I would try to find 3-5 shops that have a good reputation for the PPF and then get quotes from each one. Pick the one that you think will do the best job if they are priced similar or pick the lowest priced one if you're on a budget.

$1600 for full front doesn't seem out of line.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Not sure if their prices are better but protective film solutions does all of my cars, I use their Scottsdale shop but they have a couple of So-Cal locations. They take great care of their customers.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #7
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

$800 is what I paid for XPEL PPF. Little more expensive than typical 3M. That was for half hood, full bumper, mirrors, fenders. Keep in mind that $800 is in Canadian pesos.
      09-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #8
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
$800 is what I paid for XPEL PPF. Little more expensive than typical 3M. That was for half hood, full bumper, mirrors, fenders. Keep in mind that $800 is in Canadian pesos.
Why only half hood??
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1monQc View Post
Why only half hood??
no idea it's just what the dealer I got it from does. I'd normally have a guy I know do it for me but I'm taking the car on a mini roadtrip right after purchase in late October in Canada. So it needed something. But not quite perfect.
      09-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #10
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

$1600 is pretty good. I was quoted around $1700 in Socal. Pricing at the shops I have called were around there too, plus or minus $100. It's more important to shop the installer than the price in SoCal since everyone charges about the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 10:08 PM   #11
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Paint Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2-007 View Post
I live in Orange County CA. I got a quote for my M2 window tinting and clear bra from UltimateShield below. Do you think these prices are reasonable? Or should I negotiate for a better price?

Window tint runs $229 for our 3M Premium FX film/ $339 for 3M Color Stable/ or $449 for Suntek CXP Carbon, and $699 for 3M Crystalline(your shade choice). Windshield skins run $499.

Clear Bra ….

Total Price* = $799 installed. Includes partial Hood, Fenders, Mirrors / Grill (if applicaple)/ and full front Bumper. Add $799 for Full Hood and Full Fenders. We also have additional protection options available (Rockers $599/ Rear Luggage Pad $89/ Roof & Apillars kit $150/ Headlamp & Foglamp $89). Full vehicle wraps start at $5980 * Sales tax will be 8% on half the total cost. Quote inclusive of 3M, Xpel, and Suntek films(our personal favorite). Add 20% for our signature wrap option.

Scheduling an appointment ….

Most installations take between 3-4 hours for partial coverage and 6-8 for full Hood/ fenders/ rockers, etc. Full vehicles roughly 3-5 days. You are welcome to drop off the vehicle or relax at the shop with complimentary refreshments, Direct TV, PlayStation, and Wireless Internet.
The pricing on tint looks pretty fair, just be sure to get the tint that will perform the best. There's a big difference between heat rejecting nano-ceramic films and just color stable films.

For Paint Protection Film, and for window tint. Half the battle is finding an installer that will do the job correctly the first time and who will treat your car just as you would. Be sure to call around and talk to a few shops to gauge their work and their customer service. With any sporty BMW, we would typically protect the entire front end. This consists of the full hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors, and often headlights. Generally this packages ranges from $1,895 to $2,195.

Once you've got an installer in mind, be sure to make sure they install the brand of film you prefer. Check the warranty terms, availability and accuracy of the pre-cut patterns, and stain resistance/durability of the film itself.

Hope this info helps, let us know if we can answer any other questions.
Appreciate 1
S1monQc223.50
      09-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
The pricing on tint looks pretty fair, just be sure to get the tint that will perform the best. There's a big difference between heat rejecting nano-ceramic films and just color stable films.

For Paint Protection Film, and for window tint. Half the battle is finding an installer that will do the job correctly the first time and who will treat your car just as you would. Be sure to call around and talk to a few shops to gauge their work and their customer service. With any sporty BMW, we would typically protect the entire front end. This consists of the full hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors, and often headlights. Generally this packages ranges from $1,895 to $2,195.

Once you've got an installer in mind, be sure to make sure they install the brand of film you prefer. Check the warranty terms, availability and accuracy of the pre-cut patterns, and stain resistance/durability of the film itself.

How would a customer check the accuracy of the pre cut patterns before the service is done?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Pre Cut For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
How would a customer check the accuracy of the pre cut patterns before the service is done?
Akkando,

This is a very interesting question. I can assure you that XPEL has the most accurate and most amount of patterns in the industry. As we have been patterning cars for 20 years now, we take a lot of pride in our pre-cut pattern software, the Design Access Program (DAP for short). So as long as your installer is using the DAP, you can be confident that the pattern will fit your vehicle. Once the film is cut on a plotter, it's up to the installer to fit it but having the XPEL pre-cut kit will give them a map essentially of where to start and where to squeegee to next.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 10:34 PM   #14
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI M2

Quote:
Akkando,

This is a very interesting question. I can assure you that XPEL has the most accurate and most amount of patterns in the industry. As we have been patterning cars for 20 years now, we take a lot of pride in our pre-cut pattern software, the Design Access Program (DAP for short). So as long as your installer is using the DAP, you can be confident that the pattern will fit your vehicle. Once the film is cut on a plotter, it's up to the installer to fit it but having the XPEL pre-cut kit will give them a map essentially of where to start and where to squeegee to next.

Where are the official XPEL Factory Installers: only Austin, TX?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #15
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Say Yes to PPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercase View Post
Where are the official XPEL Factory Installers: only Austin, TX?
We have a worldwide network of XPEL installers across 63 countries. I see you're in the Bay Area, this link -- XPEL Bay Area Installers -- will give you info on who's nearby that can help get your car protected.

Let us know if you have any other questions we can help with.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #16
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We have a worldwide network of XPEL installers across 63 countries. I see you're in the Bay Area, this link -- XPEL Bay Area Installers -- will give you info on who's nearby that can help get your car protected.

Let us know if you have any other questions we can help with.
Thanks. Other than Austin, are there other Xpel OEM locations?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 11:18 AM   #17
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Say Yes to PPF

Quote:
Thanks. Other than Austin, are there other Xpel OEM locations?
Yes, we have XPEL Owned Installation Facilities in Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, and then one in London.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #18
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, we have XPEL Owned Installation Facilities in Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, and then one in London.
Thanks. Also, I was speaking with Auto Body Detail Service ADS Mobile in San Francisco, who indicated they're an Authorized Xpel installer, but I don't see them on your website. Could you please confirm installers in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Their full custom / non template wrap pricing was:
- $1800 front bumper / partial hood
- $2500 full front / full hood / mirrors / door handles / door seals / rear bumper too (trunk loading strip) … add $250-300 for rear fenders … add $600 for full rear bumper
- $7000 full wrap
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #19
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Also, I was speaking with Auto Body Detail Service ADS Mobile in San Francisco, who indicated they're an Authorized Xpel installer, but I don't see them on your website. Could you please confirm installers in the San Francisco Bay Area?

- $2500 full front / full hood / mirrors / door handles / door seals / rear bumper too (trunk loading strip) … add $250-300 for rear fenders … add $600 for full rear bumper
- $7000 full wrap
Have them do a PRE CUT kit for the bumper because it's really complicated and their custom cut bumper will probably have seams where you don't want them. At the very least ask them to tell you where the seams will be on the bumper. I had custom cut and was not happy with the first attempt. The second attempt was good but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #20
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Have them do a PRE CUT kit for the bumper because it's really complicated and their custom cut bumper will probably have seams where you don't want them. At the very least ask them to tell you where the seams will be on the bumper. I had custom cut and was not happy with the first attempt. The second attempt was good but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.
Where did you get your PPF installed? Do you not recommend them?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #21
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Where did you get your PPF installed? Do you not recommend them?
They did redo the bumper for free and the custom cut the second time is good I think. I don't know if it's better than a pre cut kit but from what I have heard the pre cut bumper is good. I will private message you for the details.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #22
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

XPEL in the Bay Area

Quote:

- $7000 full wrap
That pricing looks pretty good.

As the Bay Area is pretty large, best bet is to check our Installer Locator for the area.

While there is always the option to do a custom installation, it's typical for newer cars to do use pre-cut patterns whenever possible. It will come down to whatever you want for your car, and how comfortable the installer is with custom versus pre-cut.
Appreciate 0