BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > My number is up! Should I get the M2 now or wait?

09-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #23
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintoo View Post
Hi Everyone,

I test drove the M2 last year at an event and I was instantly in love with it. After that experience, I went straight to my local dealer and put my name on the M2 list.

My dealer informed me that I have moved up the M2 list and my number is up to order the M2 as part of the October allocation. The car should be here by December - January time frame.

I do want to get this car badly but I am not sure if I should wait till January 2018 or get it right now? I've been reading the forums/online that we will get more insight into the M2 CS pricing, build and so on in early 2018. Therefore, is it worth waiting for the M2 CS or for any other M2 LCI upgrades?

If M2 CS is going to be significantly higher in price compared to the standard M2, then I will skip the CS and go for the standard one. My budget is around $65-68K at max. I'm looking for a daily driver and a fun car. Also how hardcore is the M2 CS going to be compared to the M2 LCI? Will it have aluminium panels? CF roof? much more stiffer ride and things like that? I'm guessing that the price will be at least $10K higher than the standard one.

Please advise.
I am going to recommend something a little different from most others here.

Your scenario basically boils down to the following:
1, How long you are willing to wait,
2, How hard you are willing to try to get an allocation for the M2 CS,
3, How much the car will be priced,

Only the 3rd factor is what you do not control. If you are willing to do the first 2, I am fairly certain you can get an M2 CS at MSRP. I would suggest that you do not make your decision based on pure speculation. No one here knows how much the M2 CS is going to cost and what exactly will change in the car. You do not want to be in a situation where you regret what you bought after finding out that the M2 CS is what you wanted all along and that it was priced under what you wanted to pay for it.

If possible, talk to your dealer to see if you can swap places with the guy who is next on the allocation list. The next guy on the list will probably be delighted. . Keep doing this till you learn enough about the M2 CS that you are sure about which car you want.

The M2 is an awesome car but when you are this close to the M2 CS, I think it would be prudent to wait a little longer.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 07:25 AM   #24
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
No one here knows how much the M2 CS is going to cost and what exactly will change in the car. You do not want to be in a situation where you regret what you bought after finding out that the M2 CS is what you wanted all along and that it was priced under what you wanted to pay for it.
You're right but we can certainly make a very educated guess as to what the minimum will be.

I live in San Diego, same as the OP, so taxes and registration are the same.

Below are OTD (tax and title included) prices for San Diego County assuming MSRP:

1) 2018 AW MT with exec package (what I ordered) = $63K OTD
2) 2017 Performance Edition M2 = $67K OTD
3) 2018/19 CS = has to be more than the Performance Edition

The CS has to be a lot more than the $6500 the Performance Edition adds. And knowing BMW you'll probably have to add the $2500 M Driver School.

Regardless, considering the M2 Performance Edition carries an MSRP of $62k (2017 MSRP, 2018 will be $63k if they come out with one) is the only real metric we need to know to answer whether the CS falls in his budget. Given the the Performance Edition is mainly comprised of off the shelf bolt-ons and the swapping out of lesser parts (manual seats and basic radio) you can surmise that the CS will be significantly more expensive based on what BMW has done with other CS models, a la M4. The price difference between the regular M4/M4 comp pack and M4 CS is significant.

Last edited by importriders; 09-20-2017 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #25
M2-007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 - April 2018 Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2045 View Post
It was manual she couldn't drive it.
Since you already know how to drive a MT, teach her so she can have fun too.

I must have a MT so I will teach my woman to drive it.

To OP, get your M2 now and have a blast with it. When the M2 CS comes out and it is what you really wanted, sell the M2 and get the M2 CS. You may loose a little bit of money for all the fun you had with the M2, but it is not like getting a divorce, where you will loose a HALF or gain a HALF

I am in the same situation as you are and I can't wait to get my M2 so I can have fun reving through all the gears all day long.

Last edited by M2-007; 09-21-2017 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 04:31 AM   #26
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

I daily my M2 and have done so for almost a year and 20,000km now. It's a perfect daily driver. In fact I love driving the car so much this is the first post I've made for almost a year, because there's just nothing to discuss other than how awesome it is, I'm just here responding to a PM and thought I'd check the forum.

I love every part of the car, the grey backed, throwback dials, how they didn't clear coat the inside of the fender blisters and you can feel that with the door open, how it grouches and grumps when the car is cold, how it sometimes starts up somewhat quietly and sometimes like an Aventador and I don't understand when, or why it's going to do it. I've even come to love the insanely annoying, embarrassingly cheap plastic on the centre console that is clearly straight out of a Mitsubishi Lancer. We used to call these things character and I thought we all wanted more of it.

If you're looking for a daily and are thinking of a CS, I can predict you'll be back here telling us all about how terrible it is as a daily. To be perfectly honest this S55 version of the M2 will take away the best parts of the M2, its street nature, while still capable of serious technical driving ability, thin veneer of comfort and an engine that makes you thank god they didn't put an S55 in the car every time you go into a tunnel, and replace them with what? More power, torques and better laptime? It's illusory nonsense, paying 718S money for a car that won't be as fast but if you want to have that new hotness, by all means. Personally after a day in an M3 CP, I'm convinced the S55 makes every car it's in that little bit worse, like everything else in the car (which is all great!) is just making up for that soulless boat anchor of... you know what, I'm gonna stop. My dislike of the S55 is well known at this point. N55B30TO utterly scorns lag, sounds glorious and revs sweetly, end of story.

Like you, I fell in love with the car after one drive, in my case just driving across the pits to get onto the track was enough to feel how special it was. I shudder to think of how unhappy I'd be if I'd second guessed myself and bought a more sensible and practical M3 or a cheaper and more comfortable (still a great car though!) M240i. I got exactly what I wanted and have zero regrets and (for the only time in my life) zero buyer's remorse. I can only hope and pray that whatever you decide, you get that too, because it's a great feeling.
Appreciate 5
akkando5863.00
LeeInCT85.00
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      10-07-2017, 12:34 AM   #27
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I have decided to increase my budget and wait a few more months for the M2 CS. Only thing worries me is that this car might be limited.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 12:37 AM   #28
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons View Post

If you're looking for a daily and are thinking of a CS, I can predict you'll be back here telling us all about how terrible it is as a daily.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This would be hard to say. In fact, I found the M3 competition package ride to be more compliant and better in handling than the base M3. So we really can't say for sure at this point, if ride is going to be better or worse.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 03:29 AM   #29
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I have decided to increase my budget and wait a few more months for the M2 CS. Only thing worries me is that this car might be limited.
Quite a few more months... like double digits. And that's if you can actually get an allocation to be on a lengthy list.

Might be limited? Uh, ya think?

Enjoy what ya got, it's gonna be a while.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 03:50 AM   #30
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Good luck.....I would get now and enjoy
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #31
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Wish you the best but just want to let you know it'll probably be closer to a year or two before you can realistically get one and even then the first ones will be going to all the people on wait lists. Even being on a list doesn't guarantee you'll get one as dealers have ZERO clue to how many, if any, they get.

Then you have to factor in the markups that will persist for at least a year. For reference since youre in SD like me, Escondido BMW still has a $5k markup.

The Competition M2 will be a game changer for BMW and the demand will far exceed the supply. I personally think it will be very similar to the 1M days. So if you can snag one it's a great value, assuming you don't pay too much.

Granted this is all speculation on my part but it's based on historical data, the current M2 release is all you need to really reference. Demand was high for the current M2, demand will be MUCH MUCh higher for the Comp/CS. Production rate will either be the same as the current M2 or if you believe the rumors, it'll be limited. All this equals to..well you get the picture.

Last edited by importriders; 10-07-2017 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #32
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
Wish you the best but just want to let you know it'll probably be closer to a year or two before you can realistically get one and even then the first ones will be going to all the people on wait lists. Even being on a list doesn't guarantee you'll get one as dealers have ZERO clue to how many, if any, they get.

Then you have to factor in the markups that will persist for at least a year. For reference since youre in SD like me, Escondido BMW still has a $5k markup.

The Competition M2 will be a game changer for BMW and the demand will far exceed the supply. I personally think it will be very similar to the 1M days. So if you can snag one it's a great value, assuming you don't pay too much.

Granted this is all speculation on my part but it's based on historical data, the current M2 release is all you need to really reference. Demand was high for the current M2, demand will be MUCH MUCh higher for the Comp/CS. Production rate will either be the same as the current M2 or if you believe the rumors, it'll be limited. All this equals to..well you get the picture.
Thank again, I am number 1 on my dealer's list of the M2 CS. Currently I can get a M2 but I'm letting other people in line go ahead of me. For this good deed, the dealer has put me on the top for M2 CS and I can order M2 on any next allocation that becomes available. Hence I decided to wait till Jan/Feb 2018 time frame.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 11:20 PM   #33
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
I'd do the same in your position, the M2 is a great car but wasn't worth the huge premium over a stripped, heavily discounted 240 to me.

When the CS comes out, unless its massively overpriced, I'll trade up because the 240 is getting old, especially the lack of power (which a current M2 isn't going to fix, but a modded, flash tuned S55 certainly will)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 12:31 AM   #34
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
I'd do the same in your position, the M2 is a great car but wasn't worth the huge premium over a stripped, heavily discounted 240 to me.

When the CS comes out, unless its massively overpriced, I'll trade up because the 240 is getting old, especially the lack of power (which a current M2 isn't going to fix, but a modded, flash tuned S55 certainly will)
At the end of the day it's still a 240 though. The M2 is worth the premium on looks alone. Never mind the underpinnings.

And for those who don't want to void the warranty on a $60k - 70k car the 35 HP difference from the 240/M2 to the CS is not really that big of a leap.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 01:17 AM   #35
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:

Given the deltas in cost, availability, etc between the M4 and M4 CS, I don't think I'd expect any great deals on the M2 CS.

Go to any dealership & you'll see M4 Comps sitting there. For months. Can you even find a M4 CS?
Go to any dealership & you cannot find any M2s. That means, at least to me, that the CS version is going to be that proverbial unobtanium.

I think the M2 CS is going to be priced between the M4 Comp & M4 CS. Why? Scarcity, for one. And a desire to sell more M4s.

Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #36
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
At the end of the day it's still a 240 though. The M2 is worth the premium on looks alone. Never mind the underpinnings.

And for those who don't want to void the warranty on a $60k - 70k car the 35 HP difference from the 240/M2 to the CS is not really that big of a leap.
Could be a lot more than that. BMW usually underrates the power, but not as much on the M2. https://jalopnik.com/the-true-power-...run-1603070524

But maybe they will detune it hard, just to keep it from making the M4 look bad. Time will tell, but I think it won't be just 35 HP, probably a lot more.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #37
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post

Agreed, if it had come with an aggressively factory tuned B58 I'd have happily paid the 15k difference for the fenders, wheels and quad exhaust alone. The car looks amazing and obviously is far tighter than mine.

Hopefully the CS doesn't end up being badly gimped if its to be a super limited unicorn at an m4 pricetag :/
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #38
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, if it had come with an aggressively factory tuned B58 I'd have happily paid the 15k difference for the fenders, wheels and quad exhaust alone. The car looks amazing and obviously is far tighter than mine.

Hopefully the CS doesn't end up being badly gimped if its to be a super limited unicorn at an m4 pricetag :/
I looked at the 240 before ordering my M2. The 240 I test drove had a sticker of 54k. The delta between the two cars isn’t much. In my opinion the fenders, exhaust note, suspension, and wheels are worth way more than the delta in price, which is supported by the rumored low margins the M2 supposedly has.

I guess if you can get a good discount on a 240 there might be a more meaningful case to buy one, but that’s negotiation skill dependent and not a guarantee for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #39
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I looked at the 240 before ordering my M2. The 240 I test drove had a sticker of 54k. The delta between the two cars isn’t much. In my opinion the fenders, exhaust note, suspension, and wheels are worth way more than the delta in price, which is supported by the rumored low margins the M2 supposedly has.

I guess if you can get a good discount on a 240 there might be a more meaningful case to buy one, but that’s negotiation skill dependent and not a guarantee for everyone.
Don't forget the diff from m3/m4 either.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 12:05 AM   #40
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Don't forget the diff from m3/m4 either.
Not just that... I was looking on RealOEM yesterday and absolutely everything suspension and brakes is lifted from the M3 / M4. Front and Rear subframes, wheel carriers, brakes, bearings, arms, everything!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 12:33 AM   #41
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep

Quote:

10% off MSRP for the m240i should be doable and then stack on corporate and whatever incentives and it's pretty good value.

Someone would have to be crazy to pay full price for a non M car but my SA told me most people actually do. Hell, my coworker paid 7k OVER for a golf R which still cracks me up just thinking about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 12:56 AM   #42
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
10% off MSRP for the m240i should be doable and then stack on corporate and whatever incentives and it's pretty good value.

Someone would have to be crazy to pay full price for a non M car but my SA told me most people actually do. Hell, my coworker paid 7k OVER for a golf R which still cracks me up just thinking about it.
Most people don’t get a corporate discount or other incentive (usaa, bmwcca, etc.) but let’s say they do. With 10% off MSRP and some form of incentive you’re still at the very most only about $10k off MSRP.

Would I have bought the nicely equipped 240 I test drove for $44k instead of the M2 at MSRP??? Nope not a chance.

Two completely different cars in my opinion and they should be priced accordingly. I’m more in the camp that the 240 is priced appropriately at a discount and overpriced at MSRP. The M2 in my opinion is a steal at MSRP or anything less.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 12:58 AM   #43
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Most people don’t get a corporate discount or other incentive (usaa, bmwcca, etc.) but let’s say they do. With 10% off MSRP and some form of incentive you’re still at the very most only about $10k off MSRP.

Would I have bought the nicely equipped 240 I test drove for $44k instead of the M2 at MSRP??? Nope not a chance. Two completely different cars in my opinion and they should be priced accordingly.
The corporate discounts did apply to the M2 a while back as well. USAA was offering 2k off, or was it 1.5k?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:11 AM   #44
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The corporate discounts did apply to the M2 a while back as well. USAA was offering 2k off, or was it 1.5k?
USAA is 2k (I’m using it this month). Most people probably don’t qualify for a corporate discount or incentive. Not that there aren’t any available, but that they don’t qualify.
Appreciate 0