BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Advice requested - M2 or M240i?

09-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #89
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2-007 View Post
Thank you all for suggesting other lenders for my new car loan. I just applied a $60,000 loan from Penfed and they approved it within 2 days @ 1.49% APR. All they required from me is to become a member by opening an account with only $5 deposit.

The problem is it is only valid for 90 days but my car won't arrive until April 2018.
good grief, why waste a hp for a loan you are not going to use? 1.49 is @ 36, a 60 will cost 2.99 so there % has gone up a point from this time last year for a 60
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #90
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LA View Post
1.49 is @ 36, a 60 will cost 2.99 so there % has gone up a point from this time last year for a 60
1.49% is shockingly low... I'm looking for a 72month loan currently, and the best I've seen is 2.74%

Good to know that PenFed offers are good for 90 days though!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #91
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
1.49% is shockingly low... I'm looking for a 72month loan currently, and the best I've seen is 2.74%

72 months is a long time, think about it. you can shave .5 from the % you have but maybe not much more. penfed generally gives a 90 day window from a hp to app for any of there products, pretty sweet vs nfcu that will hp you to death
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #92
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LA View Post
72 months is a long time, think about it. you can shave .5 from the % you have but maybe not much more. penfed generally gives a 90 day window from a hp to app for any of there products, pretty sweet vs nfcu that will hp you to death
I usually don't run through the whole 72 months, in fact I don't think I've ever done that.

What I usually do is alternate getting new cars for my wife and I every 3 or 4 years. We're slightly out of sync because we got her a new car last May, and mine will be arriving in October. We only replace a car if we can pay off the other loan in full, which is usually done with money we've saved and the funds from the sale of the car we're replacing.

The M2 is slightly early, so I'm going with 72 months to keep the monthly payments down. The other thing I'm considering is a baloon loan from PedFed, because I know I'll have paid the whole thing off by the time the term ends anyway.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #93
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I usually don't run through the whole 72 months, in fact I don't think I've ever done that.

What I usually do is alternate getting new cars for my wife and I every 3 or 4 years. We're slightly out of sync because we got her a new car last May, and mine will be arriving in October. We only replace a car if we can pay off the other loan in full, which is usually done with money we've saved and the funds from the sale of the car we're replacing.

The M2 is slightly early, so I'm going with 72 months to keep the monthly payments down. The other thing I'm considering is a baloon loan from PedFed, because I know I'll have paid the whole thing off by the time the term ends anyway.
well it sounds like you have thought about it so I am good lol. my only comment is that penfed is excellent and easy to deal with. my transaction could not have taken more than 7 min in total. I was a member before I did the car loan. asked me a few things, hit a return key and said where do i want the check sent. I have come from 3 decades of leasing audis and it was never this easy.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #94
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

WTF is going on down there in the US? Free loans basically?
      09-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #95
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
WTF is going on down there in the US? Free loans basically?
Almost, at that rate it makes way more sense to take the loan and any money you were planning on putting towards the car, invest somewhere else.

I was offered 2.39% and still found that low enough that I ended up financing half of my car rather than tying the money up.
Appreciate 1
stefan2354.00
      09-14-2017, 09:37 PM   #96
M2-007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 - April 2018 Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
Congrats on the purchase! Don't sweat it. As long as you are happy with the decision then the rest is history. Next step is to collect a production number from said dealer for said car. If April 2018 is true then you should receive a production number around Dec/Jan based on my experience.
drexplode My dealer just faxed me the following info.

Production #: 007
Order Status: 112 - Scheduled for daily
Model: 182R M2 Coupe
Port Loc: Germany
Dest Loc: USA

Is this mean the BMW factory has received/accepted the order and begin to build my car with production is this the production number that I can use to track the build status?

Last edited by M2-007; 09-14-2017 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #97
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
drexplode My dealer just faxed me the following info.

Prod No:
Order Status: 112 - Scheduled for daily
Model: 182R M2 Coupe
Port Loc: PHMPOA
Dest Loc: 00021188

Is this mean the BMW factory has received/accepted the order and begin to build my car with production # removed ? is this the production number that I can use to track the build status?
Yes sir!! Congratulations on the production number. I would advise you delete the number from this post. People can track it and inquire via BMW Genius...treat it as confidential.

You can track your new baby on bmwusa.com in mybmw section. If you don't have an account already then create one. It will be your best friend including the friends at BMW Genius 1844-4GENIUS. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #98
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep

Had a M240i on order and in production but changed it today to a M2 which is in production scheduled to finish 9/16. Sales price is MSRP and planned for delivery at PCD. Decided on BMW Finance Select Elite. Special thanks for this forum and the video walking through the suspension and exhaust setup. Added Z08 with MPE for extra fun ;-)
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      09-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #99
M2-007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes sir!! Congratulations on the production number. I would advise you delete the number from this post. People can track it and inquire via BMW Genius...treat it as confidential.

You can track your new baby on bmwusa.com in mybmw section. If you don't have an account already then create one. It will be your best friend including the friends at BMW Genius 1844-4GENIUS. Enjoy!
Thank you. I deleted it.

I just met my sales person last Tuesday for the first time and put down the deposit Wednesday. I didn't expect to get the production number until Christmas or New Year time, and get the car in April. May be BMW found out this is my first bimmer and I have been saying all the great things about the M2, so they wanted me to have it sooner.

I don't know how long it takes to build an M2 but I am hopeful I will get it in time for Christmas.

Last edited by M2-007; 09-14-2017 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
drexplode1781.50
      09-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #100
M2-007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Had a M240i on order and in production but changed it today to a M2 which is in production scheduled to finish 9/16. Sales price is MSRP and planned for delivery at PCD. Decided on BMW Finance Select Elite. Special thanks for this forum and the video walking through the suspension and exhaust setup. Added Z08 with MPE for extra fun ;-)
For your order, how long did it take from production begins to ends? Just curious how long it takes for BMW to build an M2
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #101
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
For your order, how long did it take from production begins to ends? Just curious how long it takes for BMW to build an M2
2 weeks.

I suggest you go read this link - it will answer a lot (all?) or your questions about the ordering process, and how long everything takes.
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1225876
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #102
M2-007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
2 weeks.

I suggest you go read this link - it will answer a lot (all?) or your questions about the ordering process, and how long everything takes.
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1225876
Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #103
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep

Bimmer friends, i'm waffling back and fourth between M2 and M240i. I'm searching for your feedback about M2 ride quality from members in colder climates (MI, WI, OH, MA, NY, IL, etc). I don't plan on driving the car in the winter months - it will be in storage. If I chose the M240i then I would probably drive it more frequently as a daily, the M2 somewhere between garage queen and daily. The m3 is the true garage queen. I've been driving my dealer crazy with my waffling and pretty much need to decide today. Any candid feedback about ride quality in colder climate states with so-so road quality would be appreciated. I'm 90% leaning towards M2 for obvious reasons but stuck on overall ride quality, and not looking to upgrade suspension. Thanks in advance. -Greg

Last edited by drexplode; 09-16-2017 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #104
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode
Bimmer friends, i'm waffling back and fourth between M2 and M240i. I'm searching for your feedback about M2 ride quality from members in colder climates (MI, WI, OH, MA, NY, IL, etc). I don't plan on driving the car in the winter months - it will be in storage. If I chose the M240i then I would probably drive it more frequently as a daily, the M2 somewhere between garage queen and daily. The m3 is the true garage queen. I've been driving my dealer crazy with my waffling and pretty much need to decide today. Any candid feedback about ride quality in colder climate states with so-so road quality would be appreciated. I'm 90% leaning towards M2 for obvious reasons but stuck on overall ride quality, and not looking to upgrade suspension. Thanks in advance. -Greg
I'm in Ontario Canada, so pretty close to MI type climate. No issue with daily driving in winter. I've posted this in the past, but I've no idea what people are talking about when they complain about the M2's harsh ride...I find it super compliant as DD.

There was a Jalopnik article posted yesterday related to your question

http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-bmw-m2-...car-1803757017
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #105
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode
Can't speak to Canadian roads but I lived outside of Cleveland for a few years and the roads in downtown Cleveland, IMO, are too crappy for the M2 as a DD if that's most/all of where you drove. Suburbs outside the city then no problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #106
M2-007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Greg - You are already 90% leaning toward the M2, then you should go with the M2. I am so glad members on this M2 forum convinced me to get the M2 instead of the M240i.

The dealer let me test drive both cars this past Thursday. I drove the M2 first with my wife on the passenger side and the sales person behind her. They were leaning forward chit chatting about the infotainment system while I was cruising at 30mph. I floored the gas paddle snapping them both back to their seats. My wife was screaming, yelling, and hitting me frantically until I eased up the gas paddle. She said this car is too dangerous and I shouldn't be getting it, and that she is scare to sit in it. Then we test drive the M240i and I floored the paddle as I did before and she said... Lets buy the M2!!!

If I went with the M240i based on financial number and common sense, I would have really regretted it. I wanted a car that would make me sneak of of the house or work for 20 minutes just to have some fun. A car that would put a smile on my face every time I floored the gas paddle or took a sharp turn on a winding road. The M240i met my expectation but the M2 exceeded my expectation. If people called the M240i an ultimate driving machine, I would call the M2 The Ultimate "Daily" "Drama" Driving Machine.

As for daily driving, to be honest I totally forgot about it while I was in the M2. I was too busy smiling looking for the next sharp turn or the next acceleration without getting a speeding ticket. I can't wait to get my M2 so I can scare my wife every day.
Appreciate 1
drexplode1781.50
      09-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #107
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Frankly, I'm stunned that this is even a debate for anyone, considering the M2 has significantly more visual appeal (those flared fenders), more auditory appeal (the noisier quad exhaust), & greater handling/traction (the M differential).
      09-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #108
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
If you're not going to bother driving it get the 240i, a least you'll enjoy it because you said you would drive it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #109
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Greg - You are already 90% leaning toward the M2, then you should go with the M2. I am so glad members on this M2 forum convinced me to get the M2 instead of the M240i.

The dealer let me test drive both cars this past Thursday. I drove the M2 first with my wife on the passenger side and the sales person behind her. They were leaning forward chit chatting about the infotainment system while I was cruising at 30mph. I floored the gas paddle snapping them both back to their seats. My wife was screaming, yelling, and hitting me frantically until I eased up the gas paddle. She said this car is too dangerous and I shouldn't be getting it, and that she is scare to sit in it. Then we test drive the M240i and I floored the paddle as I did before and she said... Lets buy the M2!!!

If I went with the M240i based on financial number and common sense, I would have really regretted it. I wanted a car that would make me sneak of of the house or work for 20 minutes just to have some fun. A car that would put a smile on my face every time I floored the gas paddle or took a sharp turn on a winding road. The M240i met my expectation but the M2 exceeded my expectation. If people called the M240i an ultimate driving machine, I would call the M2 The Ultimate "Daily" "Drama" Driving Machine.

As for daily driving, to be honest I totally forgot about it while I was in the M2. I was too busy smiling looking for the next sharp turn or the next acceleration without getting a speeding ticket. I can't wait to get my M2 so I can scare my wife every day.
Thank you for the response. No doubt the car is absolutely fun, as chris harris said its the new M3. I definitely believe that. I own a F80 M3 and it's a blast. A shorter wheel base and lower mass makes for one hell of a fun car; which is the 90% statement.

I'm curious - which state do you live in? If you don't want to share openly then feel free to PM me. Honestly speaking, if I lived in SC/FL for example, it's a no brainer. MI roads can be quite punishing and after reading this article, the ride quality made me second guess my decision:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-update-review
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #110
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Thank you for the response. No doubt the car is absolutely fun, as chris harris said its the new M3. I definitely believe that. I own a F80 M3 and it's a blast. A shorter wheel base and lower mass makes for one hell of a fun car; which is the 90% statement.

I'm curious - which state do you live in? If you don't want to share openly then feel free to PM me. Honestly speaking, if I lived in SC/FL for example, it's a no brainer. MI roads can be quite punishing and after reading this article, the ride quality made me second guess my decision:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-update-review
Hardly a cold climate, but Sydney has plenty of dreadful surfaces both in town and on roads around. Coming from an M135i with M-adaptive, the only thing I was worried about was how much I'd miss its supple, refined and reasonably well-damped ride. Well after 4500km I don't miss it at all. Ever. The M2 is firmer, a degree harsher (I'd say 20% harsher subjectively) and noticeably more strictly damped. Any deflections are stopped more quickly so the car feels to follow the surface more tightly. The upside is less lateral wobble, less vagueness over bumps and less lurching into compressions. So while in most respects you initially think the ride to be less comfy there are several aspects to the way it covers ground that are preferable. I also find the initial suspension movement to be really nicely judged, especially at the front, so it rides chopped up and broken surfaces surprisingly well (and grips brilliantly too). Anyway, I certainly wouldn't recommend the M2 (or the M240i) to anyone who prioritises comfort, but it is pretty good for a sporting coupe.
Appreciate 1
drexplode1781.50