BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Advice requested - M2 or M240i?

09-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #67
ModestV8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2-007 View Post
Thanks again for pointing out all the PROs and CONs between the M2 and M240i, including the price I should be paying. Using all the data you had provided I have decided to go with the M........

If I use common sense and buy the M240i I would save quite a bit of money and can have the car immediately. But it doesn't have the sexy "hips" and the mean looking front bumper with 2 fangs sticking out ready for battle. At the end of the day it all comes down to this.... Which car will give me the most smiles while driving the car?

From watching the M240i & M2 comparison Youtube video, the driver said a lot of good things about the M240i but never once he mentioned the word "Bloody" until he started driving the M2... That bloody exhaust noise... Bloody hell...It feels like somebody kicked you in the back... Every time he stepped on the gas his face changed ... The noise The drama The smiles.....

It is clear what I really wanted is the "Ultimate Drama Driving Machine" so it has to be the M2 !!!

I went to the Irvine BMW in CA (15 min from my house) and talked to the GM directly. I told him members on this forum told me there should be more than 1 dealers in the states willing to sell the M2 at MSRP. I may have to spend time calling them and pay $800 to transport the car. If you can meet or beat this I will buy the M2 from you right now. 20 minutes later, he came out with some papers in his hand. If you buy it today sign here.

2018 M2 for $700 over MSRP, 3.31% financing, and your M2 will arrive in April 2018.

I signed it !!!
If you can find one for MSRP, you can still buy elsewhere. "Signing" something before the car is off the lot doesn't commit you to the car, as surprisingly as it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #68
M2-007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 - April 2018 Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jycf87 View Post
If you can find one for MSRP, you can still buy elsewhere. "Signing" something before the car is off the lot doesn't commit you to the car, as surprisingly as it sounds.
Really? I didn't know that. I already gave them a $5000 deposit to start the ordering process.

I already called a few dealers within 1 hour driving distance from me and they either said NO or we have no allocation for 2017/2018. If I find an out of state dealer willing to sell at MSRP I would have to pay the $800 transportation fee plus all the headaches involved if something goes wrong. This is why I think the $700 over MSRP from a dealer 15 minutes away is reasonable for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #69
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Any dealer that wants over MSRP should be kicked to the curb immediately.
Get the M2.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #70
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Really? I didn't know that. I already gave them a $5000 deposit to start the ordering process.

I already called a few dealers within 1 hour driving distance from me and they either said NO or we have no allocation for 2017/2018. If I find an out of state dealer willing to sell at MSRP I would have to pay the $800 transportation fee plus all the headaches involved if something goes wrong. This is why I think the $700 over MSRP from a dealer 15 minutes away is reasonable for me.
Did you try Beverly Hills?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #71
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Did you try Beverly Hills?
That 2018 AW M2 at Beverly Hills showed SOLD today. Amazing that it lasted almost a week before going. It was at MSRP.

Coulda Should Woulda .... I wonder if somebody here on the forum snatched it up. (?)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 11:43 PM   #72
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
That 2018 AW M2 at Beverly Hills showed SOLD today. Amazing that it lasted almost a week before going. It was at MSRP.

Coulda Should Woulda .... I wonder if somebody here on the forum snatched it up. (?)
It was the same exact config as my incoming (2 weeks away) week 32.

It’s the only car I’ve ever inquired about where th dealer didn’t hound me for days. They called me once. Yesterday it was sold.

Ultimately I couldn’t cheat on my CA. He’s a good guy.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 12:27 AM   #73
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

hi, read you did $700+ and you live 15min from the dealer. if true then I think you did just fine. ca is a different animal than the rest of the us. curious, is the $5K refundable and did you search out other lenders like pedfed, nfcu, etc. I know rates have gone up but I am at 1.99 @ penfed and my purchase date was 10/18/16 so it might be worth checking out. also make sure the dealer did not obliterate your profile with hard pulls, get them to remove all but one if they did. you will love the car, I am in sb this weekend and its been a blast even in the rain
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 12:45 AM   #74
M2-007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LA View Post
hi, read you did $700+ and you live 15min from the dealer. if true then I think you did just fine. ca is a different animal than the rest of the us. curious, is the $5K refundable and did you search out other lenders like pedfed, nfcu, etc. I know rates have gone up but I am at 1.99 @ penfed and my purchase date was 10/18/16 so it might be worth checking out. also make sure the dealer did not obliterate your profile with hard pulls, get them to remove all but one if they did. you will love the car, I am in sb this weekend and its been a blast even in the rain
Thanks for the heads up on the lower rate from other lenders. I will call them to find out. I have my home loan and checking account with Chase bank. I was going to call Chase this week but will call the other lenders as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 12:45 AM   #75
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
make sure the dealer did not obliterate your profile with hard pulls, get them to remove all but one if they did.
All of the newer scoring models are smart enough to know that you’re out shopping for credit rates and will compile all of the hard pulls into 1.
Appreciate 1
AngryBaby344.50
      09-11-2017, 02:52 AM   #76
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Drove the M235i (ZF Auto) and M2 (DCT) back to back when purchasing.

Straight line speed and interior comforts there's not much between them. But for me, everywhere else the cars are different.

From the aggressive styling, flared arches exposing those gorgeous hips to the way the power comes down. The crackle and pop of the exhaust in MDM mode the planet-sized disc rotors filling every inch of gap in the forged wheels.

The money says M240i. The heart says M2.

Follow the advice here: find the M2 at MSRP and live and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #77
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2-007
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the lower rate from other lenders. I will call them to find out. I have my home loan and checking account with Chase bank. I was going to call Chase this week but will call the other lenders as well.
Do yourself a favor and go with a reputable credit union. Do a search here to find the more popular, major CUs on this forum. MUCH better rates than BMW, generally, unless they are running a promo.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 01:42 PM   #78
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
unless one signed a non-refundable deposit for a build
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #79
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
CUs are your best bet, love all things chase except for car loans unless you are getting a jag which they have a tie into
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #80
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
All of the newer scoring models are smart enough to know that you’re out shopping for credit rates and will compile all of the hard pulls into 1.
models mean nothing if the lender's back end count inqs. amex, chase, citi, penfed esp all count total hp's. bottom line is agree with the dealer on a single and have them remove anything that was out of the agree zone. some dealers spray 8+ inqs, I would be shooting someone if that happens to my file but everyone is different. I worked hard for perfect credit, aim to keep it that way
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #81
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
models mean nothing if the lender's back end count inqs. amex, chase, citi, penfed esp all count total hp's. bottom line is agree with the dealer on a single and have them remove anything that was out of the agree zone. some dealers spray 8+ inqs, I would be shooting someone if that happens to my file but everyone is different. I worked hard for perfect credit, aim to keep it that way
Models mean everything. AMEX relies on FICO8. So does Chase and CITI and probably PenFed too. And if somehow you were flagged to go to recon....any recon department worth their salt would also lump those inquiries together if the credit scoring system didn't do it for you.

All dealers participate in "shotgunning" (shoving through a bunch of loan apps) unless explicitly told not to. Because they too know that it doesn't effect a borrowers ability to borrow or their score if done within 14 days of each other. Of course you're going to get dinged on that 1. And if you already have more than 1 now you're talking 2 and a assured credit score drop.

I got a pretty close to perfect score. Subscribed to MyFico.com and get my Fico8 regularly. Just got my Chase Sapphire Reservd a month after 'shotgunning' 8 inquiries for my M2. No effect.

Of course everything I just said is easily Goog'able. We can get into a game of "ya....but" but I'd rather not spread false information to potential car buyers.

http://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-ex...r-an-car-loan/

1 of 1000s of articles on the subject.

Last edited by OSee; 09-11-2017 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #82
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
Models mean everything. AMEX relies on FICO8. So does Chase and CITI and probably PenFed too. And if somehow you were flagged to go to recon....any recon department worth their salt would also lump those inquiries together if the credit scoring system didn't do it for you.

All dealers participate in "shotgunning" (shoving through a bunch of loan apps) unless explicitly told not to. Because they too know that it doesn't effect a borrowers ability to borrow or their score if done within 14 days of each other. Of course you're going to get dinged on that 1. And if you already have more than 1 now you're talking 2 and a assured credit score drop.

Of course everything I just said is easily Goog'able. We can get into a game of "ya....but" but I'd rather not spread false information to potential car buyers.

http://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-ex...r-an-car-loan/

1 of 1000s of articles on the subject.
you lost me. nothing happened to me. my simple statement is that many lenders count inq - this has nothing to do with scoring. 6 months out what happened at a dealer might matter to someone. do you disagree what what I just said? back-ends are what approve not fico scores by themselves
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #83
ModestV8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah there's no Law that holds you to that deposit. For dealerships at least, even if it's considered "non refundable," its refundable. It's against the law for them to not refund your deposit.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #84
ModestV8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Even if its "non-refundable," they have to refund it if you request it. I believe this "non refundable" was started from dealers so the public doesn't know that its actually against the law for them to not refund you, if you ask.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #85
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Quote:
Definitely go PenFed. They're a trusted Bimmerpost community lender and the rates are hard to beat.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #86
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
Definitely go PenFed. They're a trusted Bimmerpost community lender and the rates are hard to beat.
Everyone says they understand ED and they're easy to work with; however, their rates are no longer impressive nor hard to beat - they have 3.24% for 72 months and 2.99% for 60 months, compared to BMW FS at 3.31% for both of those terms. PenFed does have lower rates for shorter terms though. Other credit unions, including mine, offer 1.99% for up to 72 months but if you're doing ED, they can often be clueless.
      09-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #87
M2-007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thank you all for suggesting other lenders for my new car loan. I just applied a $60,000 loan from Penfed and they approved it within 2 days @ 1.49% APR. All they required from me is to become a member by opening an account with only $5 deposit.

The problem is it is only valid for 90 days but my car won't arrive until April 2018.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #88
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you all for suggesting other lenders for my new car loan. I just applied a $60,000 loan from Penfed and they approved it within 2 days @ 1.49% APR. All they required from me is to become a member by opening an account with only $5 deposit.

The problem is it is only valid for 90 days but my car won't arrive until April 2018.
Brilliant, congrats!
Appreciate 0