BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BIMMERPOST Tests BMW M2 with M Performance Parts at COTA

09-07-2017, 06:03 PM   #23
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
lol im just joking.

I read the headline but watching the video, he's not really individually reviewing them, and even if he was, he also was "reviewing" how great the manual transmission was.

Regarding everything else....

if we met in person, you would know im a playaplaya from the first second meeting me

For the power trick, I have a feeling that OP did feel it since I can clearly hear it in the video and he must be able to feel it (or he'll need to adjust his butt dyno), but you're right, it's a promo so of course it wouldn't be noted. I'm just so sick of this #fakenews stuff hahaha

We already spoke about this in the other thread, so why you gotta attack me? This is a safe space isn't it?

LOL regarding playa status

Regarding fake news.. I do find it interesting that Bimmerpost commissions people to actually do this sort of review.

I had to laugh when the reviewer indicated he was driving around the entire time on track with the AC on..

Holy heat soak Batman! I mean really.. turn the A/C off when you leave the paddock..
I drove on track with AC on on 100 degree days too. It's reasonable when you're not timing attacking.
It is better than sweating and sticking to the seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #24
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
lol im just joking.

I read the headline but watching the video, he's not really individually reviewing them, and even if he was, he also was "reviewing" how great the manual transmission was.

if we met in person, you would know im a playaplaya from the first second meeting me

For the power trick, I have a feeling that OP did feel it since I can clearly hear it in the video and he must be able to feel it (or he'll need to adjust his butt dyno), but you're right, it's a promo so of course it wouldn't be noted. I'm just so sick of this #fakenews stuff hahaha

We already spoke about this in the other thread, so why you gotta attack me? This is a safe space isn't it?

Regarding fake news.. I do find it interesting that Bimmerpost commissions people to actually do this sort of review.

I had to laugh when the reviewer indicated he was driving around the entire time on track with the AC on..

Holy heat soak Batman! I mean really.. turn the A/C off when you leave the paddock..
I drove on track with AC on on 100 degree days too. It's reasonable when you're not timing attacking.

Laptimes or not.. When it's that hot I would rather not add additional stress to the cooling system by cooling me off.

The hotter the coolant and oil get,, the more the car will back out timing to prevent additional heatsoak, causing even worse performance.

Maybe I'm just a racer... but I'm good with the " 2-140" A/C.. - (two windows down at 140mph ..).

Y'all can cruise around with the automatic trans doing the shifting ... the a/c on.. and a drink in the cup holder ..
Appreciate 2
amw896582.50
      09-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #25
M5XDRIVE
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i, E36 328i

All the M performance parts for the M2, the gains are what? More logical to spend the 5k-10k on non m performance stuff and actually get gains.

Thanks for the review but, big propaganda by BMW to buy their almost useless m performance parts.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #26
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
lol im just joking.

Laptimes or not.. When it's that hot I would rather not add additional stress to the cooling system by cooling me off.

The hotter the coolant and oil get,, the more the car will back out timing to prevent additional heatsoak, causing even worse performance.

Maybe I'm just a racer... but I'm good with the " 2-140" A/C.. - (two windows down at 140mph ..).

Y'all can cruise around with the automatic trans doing the shifting ... the a/c on.. and a drink in the cup holder ..
Added drag from windows down vs power lost from AC, which hurts more?

Also, he did say something about lag or slack and planning to counter it but wasn't experiencing it.

He also spoke about as well as shown some pretty cool stuff about the M2 performance suspension. Don't get all those settings from the M3/4 m performance suspension which was pretty interesting.

I watch the video on my phone with a 3 year old jumping all over me but I think I either watched a different video than you or you might have skimmed through it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #27
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:

C'mon this is silly, you'll never feel the difference in performance from the 5BHP lost in the A/C system. Not ever. Especially since the compressor is disconnected on WOT.

But you may feel more comfortable with it on, which affects your track performance more. More and more classes of race cars now require driver cooling, especially for endurance events. Gotta be a reason for that.

I don't know about the M2, but the M3 cooling system is unbelievable on track, absolutely remarkable. No reason to not run the A/C on hot days.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #28
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Thanks OP, great info.

Will you post part 2 here or in a new thread?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #29
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Nicely done.

For magazine lap time racers that rubber should certainly help.
      09-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #30
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Thumbs up

Grande Iced Americano, damn straight!

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #31
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
if you are driving on track in the US at any event other than on an empty abandoned track all by yourself.. . the windows are typically required to be down .. even in the rain..

typically. corner workers and any workers managing the paddock also use a whistle to get a driver's attention.. Windows down helps with awareness.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-07-2017 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #32
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
if you are driving on track in the US at any event other than on an empty abandoned track all by yourself.. . the windows are typically required to be down .. even in the rain..

typically. corner workers and any workers managing the paddock also use a whistle to get a driver's attention.. Windows down helps with awareness.
The one track day I did in a car was at COTA. Had the windows up, definitely not an empty track. The rest of my track experience is on sport bikes, can't hear shit and race cars are louder. Have to rely on flags from the corner workers, etc. If windows have to be down on cars, my assumption is it probably has more to do with the glass. I'll stick to bikes if I can't use AC while tracking a car, it gets pretty uncomfortable (like heat stroke level) in a car here in TX
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 01:13 AM   #33
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Bimmerpost View Post
BIMMERPOST was at Circuit of the Americas to sample a variety of BMWs equipped with M Performance parts. We had about 2.5 hours of open track time and a number of cars to choose from, including cars with manual transmissions. The standout cars were the ones fully equipped with M Performance upgrades. It was an extremely hot day with temperatures soaring to about 100 degrees. I managed to put together three video reviews. First up: M2 with M Performance parts!

Some additional notes:

As mentioned in my video, these parts are not factory installed. Instead, they are installed at port. The reason, I'm told, is that it's too time consuming to install at the factory. For example, the LSD (on the non-M cars) takes 3 hours to install.

Development of the M Performance parts happens in Germany. There are about 20 people on the team doing extensive testing and development. I'm told that these parts undergo the same level of validation as series parts so you can expect the same level of quality and durability.

On the M2, my favorite parts are the wheels and Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires. You save 8 lbs in total which is great for lowering unsprung weight and improving responses. The addition of Cup 2 tires transforms the handling experience of the M2. The tires feels stiffer, grippier and offer more feedback. Along with the coilover suspension, the M2 package feels tangibly more aggressive and track-ready. I really love the way the M2 looks with its lowered ride height. It looks mean and purposeful.

The M Performance exhaust on the M2 gives off a nice rumble. It sounds more uncorked than the standard exhaust but does not sound 'aftermarket' at all. Its voice remains mature and refined. You may or may not like the Bluetooth loudness controller that's held in the cup holder. On the other hand, the M3 with the M Performance exhaust sounds like an unhinged beast and its loudness flap control is integrated. On the M3, I feel it's a must! On the M2, I would do the wheels and suspension first.

Some official printed materials on the M2 M Performance Parts:

Attachment 1686580

Attachment 1686581

Attachment 1686582

Attachment 1686583
Sorry after that big apex the guy missed I stopped watching. Car is faster cuz of the tires. 4K for the wheels you save 8 lbs total. BBS F1R that size you save more. Car is cool, it would make a reasonable daily driver.

The funny side of it most people who get manual boxes for performance (DCT is performance) have to clue what heel and toe means. They just think its parts of their foot. Like my friend who has a 7spd porsches manual says its cuz you rock your foot on your heel to press the clutch. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 01:27 AM   #34
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Bimmerpost View Post
BIMMERPOST was at Circuit of the Americas to sample a variety of BMWs equipped with M Performance parts. We had about 2.5 hours of open track time and a number of cars to choose from, including cars with manual transmissions. The standout cars were the ones fully equipped with M Performance upgrades. It was an extremely hot day with temperatures soaring to about 100 degrees. I managed to put together three video reviews. First up: M2 with M Performance parts!

Some additional notes:

As mentioned in my video, these parts are not factory installed. Instead, they are installed at port. The reason, I'm told, is that it's too time consuming to install at the factory. For example, the LSD (on the non-M cars) takes 3 hours to install.

Development of the M Performance parts happens in Germany. There are about 20 people on the team doing extensive testing and development. I'm told that these parts undergo the same level of validation as series parts so you can expect the same level of quality and durability.

On the M2, my favorite parts are the wheels and Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires. You save 8 lbs in total which is great for lowering unsprung weight and improving responses. The addition of Cup 2 tires transforms the handling experience of the M2. The tires feels stiffer, grippier and offer more feedback. Along with the coilover suspension, the M2 package feels tangibly more aggressive and track-ready. I really love the way the M2 looks with its lowered ride height. It looks mean and purposeful.

The M Performance exhaust on the M2 gives off a nice rumble. It sounds more uncorked than the standard exhaust but does not sound 'aftermarket' at all. Its voice remains mature and refined. You may or may not like the Bluetooth loudness controller that's held in the cup holder. On the other hand, the M3 with the M Performance exhaust sounds like an unhinged beast and its loudness flap control is integrated. On the M3, I feel it's a must! On the M2, I would do the wheels and suspension first.

Some official printed materials on the M2 M Performance Parts:

Attachment 1686580

Attachment 1686581

Attachment 1686582

Attachment 1686583
That's for posting Sam!!

I'd have that A/C blowing ice cold as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #35
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
C'mon this is silly, you'll never feel the difference in performance from the 5BHP lost in the A/C system. Not ever. Especially since the compressor is disconnected on WOT.

But you may feel more comfortable with it on, which affects your track performance more. More and more classes of race cars now require driver cooling, especially for endurance events. Gotta be a reason for that.

I don't know about the M2, but the M3 cooling system is unbelievable on track, absolutely remarkable. No reason to not run the A/C on hot days.
I don't know how many hp you lose even in my n/a car but I can definitely feel the difference. You need to reprogram your butt dyno lol

A/C is cool but cool suit is cooler!
      09-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #36
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I will say that the cooling is actually pretty good on the F platforms. We're probably just more hardcore.

I'll take that -0.01 difference in lap times for sweating!

edit: but, yeah, does it hurt to have an actual reasonably realistic review anymore (I'm including all car reviews)?
      09-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #37
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Wheels on vid & parts catalog are different? What are the wheels on the vid?
      09-09-2017, 01:16 AM   #38
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
Wheels on vid & parts catalog are different? What are the wheels on the vid?
Eezitec specials. Lol
      09-10-2017, 06:30 AM   #39
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:
I can actually hear during the upshifts the power lag I was mainly critical of in the manual car - some sort of electronically controlled power regulation which causes a very slow transition into the next gear/speeds. I'm surprised OP you didn't mention it. It's actually pretty horrible on the track the way it feels. I've commented this in another thread after driving a very nicely done manual M2 with Akra, JRZ, other mods on Pirelli slicks.
Were you in DSC Off or Sport/Sport+? The M2 doesn’t experience the power lag when shifting at near WOT and quick enough to prevent the turbos from losing spool the M2 doesn’t have as an aggressive anti lag as the M3 does.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 11:40 PM   #40
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Quote:
I can actually hear during the upshifts the power lag I was mainly critical of in the manual car - some sort of electronically controlled power regulation which causes a very slow transition into the next gear/speeds. I'm surprised OP you didn't mention it. It's actually pretty horrible on the track the way it feels. I've commented this in another thread after driving a very nicely done manual M2 with Akra, JRZ, other mods on Pirelli slicks.
Were you in DSC Off or Sport/Sport+? The M2 doesnÂ’t experience the power lag when shifting at near WOT and quick enough to prevent the turbos from losing spool the M2 doesnÂ’t have as an aggressive anti lag as the M3 does.
DSC off and sport+ on pirelli slicks. It does have power modulation for sure. I've gone airborne at a 45* tilt, jumped many curbs, drifted many tracks, and compete in time trials. I think dct is better in this car for sure. It's a shame.

My pb iat Buttonwillow is 1:54:7 in a e90 m3 no aero, stock brakes, kw, and safety stuff.
      09-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #41
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #42
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

What lap time did you run? I ran 2:34.6 there in May stock with just pads and NT01's. It was around 95-100F also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=mBuK3xKD8hs

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 09-21-2017 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 01:38 AM   #43
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:
DSC off and sport+ on pirelli slicks. It does have power modulation for sure. I've gone airborne at a 45* tilt, jumped many curbs, drifted many tracks, and compete in time trials. I think dct is better in this car for sure. It's a shame.

My pb iat Buttonwillow is 1:54:7 in a e90 m3 no aero, stock brakes, kw, and safety stuff.
That's a good time! I don't doubt you can drive, I think it's more so about just understanding the quirks of a car... every car has it.

That said, I've just updated my entire car again to the latest ISTEP as of September. Any bit of power lag that I've felt before between shifts is really smoothed out, on aggressive shifts there's 0 lag. If you're ever in OC you can try it out..
      10-04-2017, 07:01 AM   #44
Jamesembry
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
That's a good time! I don't doubt you can drive, I think it's more so about just understanding the quirks of a car... every car has it.

That said, I've just updated my entire car again to the latest ISTEP as of September. Any bit of power lag that I've felt before between shifts is really smoothed out, on aggressive shifts there's 0 lag. If you're ever in OC you can try it out..
Latest ISTEP?
Appreciate 0