BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Head-Up-Screen, North America?

08-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #45
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
I'm happy to have anyone else add more information or correct what I've said here, because the HUS seems to be an almost secret product. Caveat Emptor, YMMV and all that stuff.
This dedicated thread reviewing the HUS version released in 2015 is nearing one million views, so not so secret:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1063158
      08-30-2017, 06:56 PM   #46
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
This dedicated thread reviewing the HUS version released in 2015 is nearing one million views, so not so secret:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1063158
So why is it so hard to find information about the U.S. version for M2s? The BMW USA website has very little information. I never look at 1addicts. Am I looking for love in all the wrong places?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 08:11 PM   #47
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
So why is it so hard to find information about the U.S. version for M2s? The BMW USA website has very little information. I never look at 1addicts. Am I looking for love in all the wrong places?
You would think the US would have alot of details regarding this accessory. Especially for safety reasons
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #48
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
You would think the US would have alot of details regarding this accessory. Especially for safety reasons
I’d venture to argue (and a study has shown) that heads up displays are just as distracting or even more so.

I know in my last couple cars that I’ve had one it was more distracting than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #49
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
I’d venture to argue (and a study has shown) that heads up displays are just as distracting or even more so.

I know in my last couple cars that I’ve had one it was more distracting than anything else.
What is the definition of heads up display? Because if it counts phone mounts to be used as a heads up display for GPS, I'd argue that definition is flawed on the basis that people look at their phone longer than they should have. The way it is is a map and you on that map. I'd also argue that displaying the map is way too much information overload while driving which is probably why people get into accidents anyways. Tryinf to compute their geographical location and pay attention to the road is way too complex.

But even then, I think that the HUD and HUS is better just because it's limited to certain information you would need to know anyways to drive like a reasonable person. Speed, cruise control information, and time to destination or GPS compass direction.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #50
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What is the definition of heads up display? Because if it counts phone mounts to be used as a heads up display for GPS, I'd argue that definition is flawed on the basis that people look at their phone longer than they should have. The way it is is a map and you on that map. I'd also argue that displaying the map is way too much information overload while driving which is probably why people get into accidents anyways. Tryinf to compute their geographical location and pay attention to the road is way too complex.

But even then, I think that the HUD and HUS is better just because it's limited to certain information you would need to know anyways to drive like a reasonable person. Speed, cruise control information, and time to destination or GPS compass direction.
The study was for HUDS as we know it. Projected on to the windshield. It was pretty clear. Pretty sure the University of Toronto conducted it.

I found it distracting. Especially in stop and go traffic in places like the 405 where you can go from 60 to dead stop in a few seconds. And even after a few years I still found myself checking the speedometer for speed (maybe I’m dumb?) and WAZE is my main form of navigation. The experience of others may vary. It would be nice for occasional use...the track and open roads. But I won’t miss it.

Last edited by OSee; 08-30-2017 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 12:23 AM   #51
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
The study was for HUDS as we know it. Projected on to the windshield. It was pretty clear. Pretty sure the University of Toronto conducted it.

I found it distracting. Especially in stop and go traffic in places like the 405 where you can go from 60 to dead stop in a few seconds. And even after a few years I still found myself checking the speedometer for speed (maybe I’m dumb?) and WAZE is my main form of navigation. The experience of others may vary. It would be nice for occasional use...the track and open roads. But I won’t miss it.
Interesting, I thought it would be better but I guess not. You have a link to that study? I wanna check it out
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 05:33 AM   #52
DoZZa
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY17 | M2 | DCT

It seems the stand is only available for LHD cars.

No parts listed for a RHD car according to RealOEM

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=03_4217
E30 320iS | '90
E28 M535i | '84
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 09:55 AM   #53
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I thought it would be better but I guess not. You have a link to that study? I wanna check it out
If you want to find the report itself....
Source: Sun Y, Wu S, Spence I (2015) PLoS ONE 10(6): e0130611

If you want a summary...
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/07...driver-safety/

There have been other studies since that have concluded the same thing.

Would I take a car with a HUD I can quickly switch off when I want? Absolutely! Wish the M2 came with one. But don't miss it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #54
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Quote:
Did your dealer say anything? Been looking for an update on that HUS!!
$670 CAD for the HUS and the mount but they won't ship it
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 02:14 PM   #55
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you want to find the report itself....
Source: Sun Y, Wu S, Spence I (2015) PLoS ONE 10(6): e0130611

If you want a summary...
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/07...driver-safety/

There have been other studies since that have concluded the same thing.

Would I take a car with a HUD I can quickly switch off when I want? Absolutely! Wish the M2 came with one. But don't miss it.
The linked article study isn't really in the same context as a HUD/HUS.
With the HUD/HUS, you'll get familiar with what the settings are and know where to look for it if/when you need it.

The study in the article and random shapes popping up and the subject needs to identify what the object is. With more objects, the subject is actively looking for for those and trying to process it, which increases the reaction time because there were so many different things popping up.

I don't think this scenario really applies to a HUD/HUS when u only look at it when you need it and you know where to look for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #56
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwin View Post
$670 CAD for the HUS and the mount but they won't ship it
Aww what, really? That's pretty lame... Do you have a part number?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #57
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Aww what, really? That's pretty lame... Do you have a part number?
HUS: 62302361627
Mount: 62302361402
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #58
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwin View Post
I don't think this scenario really applies to a HUD/HUS when u only look at it when you need it and you know where to look for it.

I think the last user comment in the article explains it best....sums up my experience

Quote:
In other words, just because it's in our field of vision doesn't necessarily make it easier to track. It's still a separate piece of information. Despite the fact that I can see, for example, my speed and road in front of me at the same time, my brain still "sees" the road, and this collection of numerals representing my speed, as two unrelated objects that cannot easily be fused into a cognitive whole. It's even worse because I'm overloading myself with constant stream of information (speed) when normally I wouldn't really need to check my speedometer more than once every few seconds. Our brains are just plain bad at multitasking and saturating them with more simultaneous inputs seems to have it's limits, and might even be harmful according to this study.

Other types of augmentation, like highlighting lane markings, might be more successful because it just enhances something you're already seeing so it's more seamless.
So my argument is that the HUDs that are coming (from the study) are actually MORE useful and less distracting (but distracting no less) than the current ones that require you to refocus your attention to read it. The HUDs that are coming (as early as this year) actually fuse your vision with elements on the road.

The current HUD tech is cool for sure. It got me a ton of ooooohhhhhs and ahhhhhs whenever I let someone sit in my drivers seat. But it was often more distracting than not. I went from checking my speed 2 or 3 times every 30 minutes or so to 20 to 30 times every 30 minutes.

Just give me a indicator that tells me I'm going to fast and quickly shows me the speed limit on the road I'm on. That would be 100000x more useful.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by OSee; 08-31-2017 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #59
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I think the last user comment in the article explains it best....sums up my experience

So my argument is that the HUDs that are coming (from the study) are actually MORE useful and less distracting (but distracting no less) than the current ones that require you to refocus your attention to read it. The HUDs that are coming (as early as this year) actually fuse your vision with elements on the road.

The current HUD tech is cool for sure. It got me a ton of ooooohhhhhs and ahhhhhs whenever I let someone sit in my drivers seat. But it was often more distracting than not. I went from checking my speed 2 or 3 times every 30 minutes or so to 20 to 30 times every 30 minutes.

Just give me a indicator that tells me I'm going to fast and quickly shows me the speed limit on the road I'm on. That would be 100000x more useful.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Would the HUS be better if you used the flip up black back plating for the icons?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #60
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Brief summary about this topic:

BMW Head-Up Screen: see the dedicated thread in the General Bimmerpost section here.

In 2017 BMW released a commercial showing the BMW head-up screen inside an M2 (left hand drive), integrated on a mount.

Some info:
  • F87 M2: here and here | F87 M2 LCI: here and here;
    part numbers for that BMW car:
    • part # 62 30 2 361 627: BMW Head-Up Screen
    • part # 62 30 2 454 402: Mounting BMW Head-Up Screen (LHD)
    • part # 62 30 2 456 137: Set, adhesive pads
  • other BMW models: here (click on the diagram of the car of your choice).
Two snapshots of the 2017 commercial:

The 2017 commercial:
      01-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #61
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I honestly don't know why anyone would want that...

I get that it's a cool feature when projected on the front windscreen...but this? This just looks janky AF
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #62
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Looks like a cab drivers thing
Appreciate 0