BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > confirmed: the best >$10 item for this car if you use a cell

08-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #23
Ktmdriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jycf87 View Post
So a mount thats on the same level of the BMW nav screen should be good. The phone being smaller than the BMW nav screen is a argument you are trying to nit pick at. I can see both screens perfectly as it is 12 inches away from my eyes...
Nit picking ? Really? Do you not notice all these drivers swerving in and out of lanes ? Not moving when the light turns from red to green ? The phones allow more than just navigating and that's when you put me and my family at risk. Justify it all you want . But I'll call BS on all of it.

And yes, if the phones are more at eye level it does make it slightly safer. Why do you think people where bitching about not having a HUD option?

As far as the size of the BMW MFD screen goes, why do you think the LCI offers a larger screen? Because maybe everyone can't see as good you.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #24
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
If you have Apple CarPlay can you display Waze on nav screen?
Nope. Not supported.

I keep my phone in my pocket.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #25
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:
Nope. Not supported.

I keep my phone in my pocket.
Isn't that kind of thing really the point of CarPlay? I guess you can only use Apple derived apps? Whatever.

Anyway I'm in the camp that thinks all these phone mounts just perpetuate inattentive driving.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #26
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Just hot glue the dam thing to the dash. Since I put my registration sticker in crooked I just don't care any more. I tried to get it straight dam it!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 2
AngryBaby344.50
StephGOD218.50
      08-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #27
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Isn't that kind of thing really the point of CarPlay? I guess you can only use Apple derived apps? Whatever.

Anyway I'm in the camp that thinks all these phone mounts just perpetuate inattentive driving.
I have Android. And, dislike both Carplay and Android Auto. But, that is why I use IDrive and keep my phone in pocket.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #28
cbmmm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 RX8, 2017 M2, 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktmdriver View Post
What is so important on a phone that anyone needs it mounted to see the screen? The incoming texts ? , Snapchat, the internet ? Isn't the Bmw's interface enough for calls? What are you using your M2 for, Lyft / Uber ?

Drivers need to focus on driving and quit messing with their smart phones especially with a car that can go 0-60 so quickly !

amen brother. the M2 is a performance vehicle. concentrate on the fun of the car and enjoy it -
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #29
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
What part of distracted driving do you not understand?
Please show me where a phone in fixed phone holder is in the definition of distracted driving?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #30
ModestV8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Nit picking ? Really? Do you not notice all these drivers swerving in and out of lanes ? Not moving when the light turns from red to green ? The phones allow more than just navigating and that's when you put me and my family at risk. Justify it all you want . But I'll call BS on all of it.

And yes, if the phones are more at eye level it does make it slightly safer. Why do you think people where bitching about not having a HUD option?

As far as the size of the BMW MFD screen goes, why do you think the LCI offers a larger screen? Because maybe everyone can't see as good you.
If you are texting while driving, that could put a family at risk. If you are using the phone on a mount for navigation, it's the same as using the BMW nav, unless you have a special case for vision. You are generalizing people now...not cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #31
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
wow there are people that are trying to give tips on better driving experience, and there are people that are purely ignorant and mocking them for trying to help.

I don't see a difference between having your phone mounted versus OEM nav system. Apple carPlay gets text messages too. YOU need to focus. don't blame it on smart phones. There are many times that OEM nav got me in dangerous situation because these things told me to make a turn last second. again, it's YOU that needs to drive right.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #32
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmmm3 View Post
amen brother. the M2 is a performance vehicle. concentrate on the fun of the car and enjoy it -
Driving is more enjoyable when you are avoiding traffic and actually moving than being on a 4-lane freeway that looks like a parking lot.

*I don't use WAZE, but I take a look at the sigalert app to show any red/congested areas and kind of plan my route before I start or on the fly. I'd rather bite the bullet if the red areas are not that prominent than going on side streets.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #33
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

It is a distraction as soon as you look at it.

Go figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMs335D View Post
Please show me where a phone in fixed phone holder is in the definition of distracted driving?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #34
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
It is a distraction as soon as you look at it.

Go figure!

Quote:
Better never have any passengers in your car.. or change the radio.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      08-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #35
le panecito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 (LBB+DCT)

Quote:
Waze is not currently supported by Apple CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 09:58 PM   #36
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Better never have any passengers in your car.. or change the radio.
Don't forget to stop to burn any billboards down that you might see
Appreciate 1
DOMs335D220.50
      08-29-2017, 12:36 AM   #37
Ktmdriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jycf87 View Post
If you are texting while driving, that could put a family at risk. If you are using the phone on a mount for navigation, it's the same as using the BMW nav, unless you have a special case for vision. You are generalizing people now...not cool.
If you believe that drivers only use a mounted smart phone solely for navigation and nothing else you are naive.

The current NHTSA stats show about 9 deaths per day and 1000 injured in reported collisions involving distracted driving. That's not including non-injury unreported collisions. Not generalizing, pure fact

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...riving2015.pdf

Injuries, death, and millions in property damage is what's not cool. Can you justify that ?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #38
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
If you believe that drivers only use a mounted smart phone solely for navigation and nothing else you are naive.

The current NHTSA stats show about 9 deaths per day and 1000 injured in reported collisions involving distracted driving. That's not including non-injury unreported collisions. Not generalizing, pure fact

Injuries, death, and millions in property damage is what's not cool. Can you justify that ?
You are a typical roadsafety-na*i, just the same as the people who point to stats when saying that speed kills. Speed and distraction is put down as a contributing factor on almost any accident, and regardless if you believe the stats or not, my point is and was that a phone holder placed perfectly in your vision is no more distracting than the car's infotainment system. If you are that ADD that you cannot focus on the road while Waze is running on your phone you better not ever change the song or talk to a passenger.

Here if you don't believe me:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cefe78ac94eb

Enjoy motoring alone from now on.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #39
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Just like ConnectedDrive, not all apps are supported. If you want to use Carplay, you use Apple Maps and do not get use of HUD.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #40
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

"Because some drivers can't handle a car safely with a mounted smart phone therefore no one should have one"

By that argument because some people can't handle a car safely at all, therefore no one should have one...

People who are going to be dangerous with a smart phone will be dangerous whether or not it's mounted or in their hand. Plenty of people have bluetooth in their cars and they do not use it and still have the phone in their hand. This is more dangerous, but we are talking grey areas, and you seem to not be able to cope with the idea of a grey area. Yes if no one made phone calls or talked to passengers or listened to the radio perhaps the world would be somewhat safer. But not everything is black and white, there is no safe and unsafe, only safer and unsafer. There are huge amounts of shades of grey here. Some things are safer than others, and you are choosing a remarkably hardlined stance on something that should mean, like others have suggested you should apply it to other parts of your life too. If anything you could argue that a mounted smartphone decreases risk for those who would be using it anyway

Oh and BTW - waze uses audio too, audible alerts that tell me that in 0.5 miles there is an object in the middle of the freeway actually help to improve my safety. Likewise if traffic is stopping ahead and I'm surrounded by tailgaters then that is useful information that might help prevent a crash. If you use it for navigation then it's no more distracting than any other nav system that isn't a head up display. I don't see you posting in every new car thread that the car should be banned because it comes with navigation?
But by all means take your one black and white rule and apply it to every grey situation and see how well that works out for you...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #41
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

On a different note, it does come in handy when you are on the track with a lap timer like Harry's. You can have the display showing the map of the track and the phone with lap times.
Appreciate 0