BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Are Individual colors available yet?

04-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #23
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
Pic please. if true then guess it's not a fact then.
Alpine White (the only non-metallic M2 color) M-DCT M2 manufactured at the BMW Leipzig factory (Oct. 29, 2016) was shipped to Garching to get the Austin Yellow Metallic body (re)paint treatment at the "BMW Karo-Lackzentrum" (BMW Niederlassung München Karosserie- & Lackzentrum: http://bmw-partner.bmw.de/niederlass...ebersicht.html).

Subsequently, the car was sent to BMW M for all the other BMW Individual customization (brakes painted in Austin Yellow Metallic and interior stuffed with Atacama Yellow contrast stitching with some CF bits and a personalized door sill).

Gotta pay to play:
  • Austin Yellow Metallic: $12,795.00
  • Black Lther w/ Yellow Stitching: $7,060.00
  • Additional Customization: $26,445.00
Name:  AY_M2_Specs.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  116.0 KB

Interesting to run the VIN through a BMW VIN Decoder to find out what the BMW Individual treatment consisted of: Alpine White M-DCT M2 (IMHO he should have opted for the 6MT) that got a special treatment: exterior, brake calipers and side mirrors painted Austin Yellow, interior bits & pieces and stitching in CF and Atacama Yellow ...and to top it all of: a "specially made for Michael Fux" door sill mention !

04-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #24
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
By the way, what's wrong with using a roller?

Mike
Absolutely nothing - that's apparently how Ford painted both my GT350s.
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #25
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #26
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Artemis, you crack me up. True manual transmission snob, can't pass on an opportunity to tell someone what transmission to put into the car they are paying for and driving. Not sure why its not good enough to have what you want and let others have what they want. I guess this guy is a terrible driver with no skill or balls because he picked a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #27
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG, 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Erm...is that a wrap? Looks like a wrap
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #28
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Interesting to run the VIN through a BMW VIN Decoder to find out what the BMW Individual treatment consisted of: Alpine White M-DCT M2 (IMHO he should have opted for the 6MT) that got a special treatment: exterior, brake calipers and side mirrors painted Austin Yellow, interior bits & pieces and stitching in CF and Atacama Yellow ...and to top it all of: a "specially made for Michael Fux" door sill mention !

Why get a MT when you're just going to put it into one of your warehouse garages next 60 other vehicles and never drive your custom piss yellow M2 anyway? I am sure he just ticked every box on the order form because he doesn't care.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #29
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Well there is one documented Individual colour M2...
Yep. $100,000 m2 I believe. ... Austin Yellow
      04-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #30
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_doctor View Post
Yep. $100,000 m2 I believe. ... Austin Yellow
$114K+

Name:  AY_M2_Specs2.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  8.5 KB
      04-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #31
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Alpine White (the only non-metallic M2 color) M-DCT M2 manufactured at the BMW Leipzig factory (Oct. 29, 2016) was shipped to Garching to get the Austin Yellow Metallic body (re)paint treatment at the "BMW Karo-Lackzentrum" (BMW Niederlassung München Karosserie- & Lackzentrum: http://bmw-partner.bmw.de/niederlass...ebersicht.html).

Subsequently, the car was sent to BMW M for all the other BMW Individual customization (brakes painted in Austin Yellow Metallic and interior stuffed with Atacama Yellow contrast stitching with some CF bits and a personalized door sill).
I was at M Studio in Garching a few weeks ago. And while the fellow I met there who works for BMW Individual spoke fluent English, I suppose there could have been some miscommunication or faulty memory, but I remember him saying that the Austin yellow was painted in Leipzig on a Sunday. I clearly remember the Sunday part, so to me it would make no sense to paint it on a Sunday anywhere but Leipzig. Also, I question whether they would take a fully built white one to strip it down to repaint. While I wasn't able to tour the Leipzig plant this time, I've through the Munich plant tour and there are a lot of things that happen after the paint shop. I think it's very unlikely that BMW would call it a factory original Austin yellow paint with some white in sections it could not repaint.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 07:44 AM   #32
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space gray View Post
I was at M Studio in Garching a few weeks ago. And while the fellow I met there who works for BMW Individual spoke fluent English, I suppose there could have been some miscommunication or faulty memory, but I remember him saying that the Austin yellow was painted in Leipzig on a Sunday. I clearly remember the Sunday part, so to me it would make no sense to paint it on a Sunday anywhere but Leipzig. Also, I question whether they would take a fully built white one to strip it down to repaint. While I wasn't able to tour the Leipzig plant this time, I've through the Munich plant tour and there are a lot of things that happen after the paint shop. I think it's very unlikely that BMW would call it a factory original Austin yellow paint with some white in sections it could not repaint.
Alternative: the Leipzig factory first sent several M2 parts to be painted Austin Yellow to the BMW Niederlassung München Karosserie-& Lackzentrum (Garching) (see the parts mentioned in the VIN list in a previous post) + painted parts returned to the Leipzig factory + body shell painted yellow at the Leipzig factory. Subsequently everything put together.
      04-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #33
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
You have TWO GT350's????? With the dealer mark up you could have had the M2 for FREE!

Our local dealer wanted a $25,000 mark up on one they got in. I offered to buy it at MSRP on the spot and they said no!

I would not buy a Ford if it where the last new car on the planet. Those kind of markups are pure greed on the part of the DEALER. No necessarily Ford's doing but they certainly did not disallow it in their corporate rules.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #34
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

144K....that's insane
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #35
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
144K....that's insane
$114K+
      04-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #36
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have TWO GT350's????? With the dealer mark up you could have had the M2 for FREE!

Our local dealer wanted a $25,000 mark up on one they got in. I offered to buy it at MSRP on the spot and they said no!

I would not buy a Ford if it where the last new car on the planet. Those kind of markups are pure greed on the part of the DEALER. No necessarily Ford's doing but they certainly did not disallow it in their corporate rules.

Mike
Well, no. I refused delivery on the first one because the paint was so bad from the factory and the Ford dealer (who ironically has one of the best body shops in the area) had to repaint more than half the car before it could be sold to someone else. Since I'd ordered the car on the first day they could be ordered and then waited 9 months for it, Ford stepped up and got me a replacement vehicle in 3 months.

When the second car arrived, I accepted it because the paint was only about 10% garbage. Having driven a GT350 at Road America on Ford's nickel, I wanted the car. It is nothing less than orgasmic when it comes to engine, suspension, exhaust and brakes, but the design and assembly defects (e.g., potentially about 70% of the '15 and '16 models of "the most track capable Mustang ever" cooking their trannies on the track and going into limp mode - plus an oil line recall that shut down the factory - and many owners of the cars - for almost 6 months), Ford's lack of interest in properly fixing the cars and the overall lack of quality made me sell it last week after 14 months of ownership.

Fortunately, I didn't pay sticker for the car, so it cost me less than $400 to drive for more than a year. The guy who bought it from me resold it someone a couple of days later who then resold it for about $1,500 over the original MSRP, which is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. The GT350 was the most visceral of all the cars I've owned, but I could never get over the fear that something would fail and leave me riding a fireball - or put me into a wall with no way to control the situation.

So, once it was fixed, I followed the advice I've given several other people and sold the damn thing.

BTW, you can still pay ADM for a GT350 - and an outrageous ADM for a GT350R if you want to.
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      04-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #37
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Quote:

Mike
Im off topic here, but do the GT350's have dealer markups? or is that the GT350r's?
      04-24-2017, 12:12 AM   #38
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I was interested in the GT350R when it was announced. Those carbon wheels are sexy. Then pricing was released around 66k with air conditioning, and only 500 were allocated per model year which allowed dealers to charge absurd markups.

But you can get sticker on a standard GT350 if you shop around.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:48 AM   #39
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Alternative: the Leipzig factory first sent several M2 parts to be painted Austin Yellow to the BMW Niederlassung München Karosserie-& Lackzentrum (Garching) (see the parts mentioned in the VIN list in a previous post) + painted parts returned to the Leipzig factory + body shell painted yellow at the Leipzig factory. Subsequently everything put together.
Perhaps closer to the truth. I imagine if the shell was painted in Leipzig, it happened out of sequence so after painting, the shell would have to be moved into the production line at the appropriate assembly station. Maybe that's why this disruption could only happen when the production line was not moving. Then the normal M2 assembly could continue and the completed car was taken to Garching for customization.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:44 AM   #40
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Well, no. I refused delivery on the first one because the paint was so bad from the factory and the Ford dealer (who ironically has one of the best body shops in the area) had to repaint more than half the car before it could be sold to someone else. Since I'd ordered the car on the first day they could be ordered and then waited 9 months for it, Ford stepped up and got me a replacement vehicle in 3 months.

When the second car arrived, I accepted it because the paint was only about 10% garbage. Having driven a GT350 at Road America on Ford's nickel, I wanted the car. It is nothing less than orgasmic when it comes to engine, suspension, exhaust and brakes, but the design and assembly defects (e.g., potentially about 70% of the '15 and '16 models of "the most track capable Mustang ever" cooking their trannies on the track and going into limp mode - plus an oil line recall that shut down the factory - and many owners of the cars - for almost 6 months), Ford's lack of interest in properly fixing the cars and the overall lack of quality made me sell it last week after 14 months of ownership.

Fortunately, I didn't pay sticker for the car, so it cost me less than $400 to drive for more than a year. The guy who bought it from me resold it someone a couple of days later who then resold it for about $1,500 over the original MSRP, which is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. The GT350 was the most visceral of all the cars I've owned, but I could never get over the fear that something would fail and leave me riding a fireball - or put me into a wall with no way to control the situation.

So, once it was fixed, I followed the advice I've given several other people and sold the damn thing.

BTW, you can still pay ADM for a GT350 - and an outrageous ADM for a GT350R if you want to.
It seems Ford dealers are the worst for mark ups. Ford itself is to blame for not intervening. I got the Porsche GT4 for MSRP. There is no way in hell I'd pay above MSRP for the GT350.... although it is a great car.

The Camaro ZL1 guys (forum) were recently bashing Ford due to this, but what else is new?

You can get a Corvette GS and Z06 (true sport cars) on considerable discounts I believe, which are superior performance drivers to the GT350.

Not bashing the GT350, as I love a lot about the car, but as you posted, Ford dealers are being a little ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #41
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

By law, Ford cannot intervene in dealer price-gouging because the dealers are independent businesses. However, Ford could have followed Fiat-Chrysler's lead with the Dodge Hellcats and Demon. Dealers could not order another Hellcat if they already had one in stock, so the price-gouging dealers would put an ADM on the Hellcats until the end of the month and then sell them so they'd qualify for another one. For the Demon, the factory is attaching a permanent plaque with the owner's name to the car, which should prevent dealers from ordering them for stock and also take a little steam out of the "instant-resale" market.

And now back to our previously scheduled topic...
Appreciate 1
csbear1118.00
      04-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #42
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Individual is always possible if you're willing to pay the $$$$$$$.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #43
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:

Ha, you mean the owners of 2015-2016 GT350s who ticked the Tech Pack instead of the Track Pack (that includes the trans/diff cooler) and are pissed that their cars went into limp mode because they picked the wrong package?
Which is why Ford changed the options for 2018.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #44
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Ha, you mean the owners of 2015-2016 GT350s who ticked the Tech Pack instead of the Track Pack (that includes the trans/diff cooler) and are pissed that their cars went into limp mode because they picked the wrong package?
Even the earliest buyers of Tech Packages had time to change to Track Packages - they just got too tied up in jumping on any available GT350, instead of waiting for the right one for their track needs. Now they've got "the most frustration-capable Mustang ever built."

BTW, Ford changed the option packaging for 2017, not 2018.
Appreciate 0