M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Very favorable Motor Trend first drive:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi/...-drive-review/

M2 for track, RS3 for everything else and probably more engaging than M2. Those are some big words.
"The RS 3 is at least as engaging to drive as an M2, if not more so, and it offers more confidence with all-wheel drive."

I find that suspicious.

The TT RS has inevitably better driving dynamics than the RS3, no?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #90
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
"The RS 3 is at least as engaging to drive as an M2, if not more so, and it offers more confidence with all-wheel drive."

I find that suspicious.

The TT RS has inevitably better driving dynamics than the RS3, no?
I'm not trying to make a defense, but I do have a direct corollary. I had a GLI (sedan, same as A3 basically) and also got a Bug (wheelbase more like the TT but same chassis basically). Interestingly enough, the GLI with the same suspension setup (H&R Supersport springs and 034 adjustable rear sway bar on full stiff) was FAR more entertaining to drive than the shorter wheelbase Beetle. I could kick the tail out at will on the GLI and really have to provoke the Beetle with fully commiting to corners with big drop throttle mid-corner to get it to rotate. I suspect it will be the same with the RS3 and TTRS - With a nice fat rear sway bar, I predict the RS3 will be a lot more fun to drive than the TTRS. I'd already have an M2 if I could get an allocation, but if the RS3 drops anywhere near the M2 price I'll be one of the first ones in... Already reaching out to dealers. One claims to have an ordering guide, but not prices yet - I'm trying to get ahold of that. I hope like hell the pano roof is not standard here like it is on the S3.. that would be a buzzkill.

Last edited by Spinnetti; 03-24-2017 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      03-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #91
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
if the TTRS drops anywhere near the M2 price I'll be one of the first ones in..... I hope like hell the pano roof is not standard here like it is on the S3.. that would be a buzzkill.
cross your fingers but certainly don't hold your breath.

re: pano roof...what, you don't an extra 200 lbs added in the worst possible place on your car?
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      03-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #92
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
cross your fingers but certainly don't hold your breath.

re: pano roof...what, you don't an extra 200 lbs added in the worst possible place on your car?
Lmao, an RS model with a standard pano roof? Please...

They can't be that dumb.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 06:02 PM   #93
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not trying to make adefense, but I do have a direct corollary. I had a GLI (sedan, same as A3 basically) and also got a Bug (wheelbase more like the TT but same chassis basically). Interestingly enough, the GLI with the same suspension setup (H&R Supersport springs and 034 adjustable rear sway bar on full stiff) was FAR more entertaining to drive than the shorter wheelbase Beetle. I could kick the tail out at will on the GLI and really have to provoke the Beetle with fully commiting to corners with big drop throttle mid-corner to get it to rotate. I suspect it will be the same with the RS3 and TTRS - With a nice fat rear sway bar, I predict the RS3 will be a lot more fun to drive than the TTRS. I'd already have an M2 if I could get an allocation, but if the TTRS drops anywhere near the M2 price I'll be one of the first ones in... Already reaching out to dealers. One claims to have an ordering guide, but not prices yet - I'm trying to get ahold of that. I hope like hell the pano roof is not standard here like it is on the S3.. that would be a buzzkill.
I already linked the ordering guide for US and Canada.

They seem pretty good, I would order it with the technology package (need that Bang and Olufsen stereo), Black Optics, Performance exhaust (cheap unlike bmw >_>), red callipers (you can have them red instead of just blue like BMW) and black-ish wheels.

Oh and the red accesories inside and the OLED if I can get them as a standalone option (they are only standalone in Canadian order guide).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 09:39 PM   #94
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:

They seem pretty good, I would order it with the technology package (need that Bang and Olufsen stereo), Black Optics, Performance exhaust (cheap unlike bmw >_>), red callipers (you can have them red instead of just blue like BMW) and black-ish wheels.

Oh and the red accesories inside and the OLED if I can get them as a standalone option (they are only standalone in Canadian order guide).
Thought that was just Canada? I didn't see anywhere in this thread that you linked a US guide. The Canada guide says pano standard. I'd order similar to what you noted, but I note that pano roof standard, no delete option. Combine no stick and Pano roof, and price? - if its 60k all those combined will be a no-go. Maybe back to the drawing board and stick to my search for an R8 while I wait endlessly for a M2 allocation.

Last edited by Spinnetti; 03-24-2017 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:40 PM   #95
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thought that was just Canada? I didn't see anywhere in this thread that you linked a US guide. The Canada guide says pano standard. I'd order similar to what you noted, but I note that pano roof standard, no delete option. Combine no stick and Pano roof, and price? - if its 60k all those combined will be a no-go. Maybe back to the drawing board and stick to my search for an R8 while I wait endlessly for a M2 allocation.
What? You want a specced car that goes 0-62mph in 3.5 seconds, has the interior that rivals cars 100-120,000+, for less than 60k? Haha!

Its in this thread:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21416357&posted=1#post21416357
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #96
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:

Hmm, don't think the US order guide is out, only Canada. Unless if you can provide the link.
The BandO standard on the car in Canada. And indeed the other options are really reasonable - especially the performance exhaust. Has anyone played the videos from Oman? The car sounds totally badass. Better than an M2.
I don't catch a distinction that they are "O" LEDs. However LED headlights are standard. Yes, the pano roof also appears standard and why would that be a problem? How many people are really tracking a 4 door sedan? Optimally, you could get a sunroof delete, but who cares? Handling may be a bit challenged, but electronic suspensions these days cure many ills. Oh, and electronic suspension also standard. 0-100k in 4.1 sec, pretty badass. Not drag racing? Well, doesn't matter, you will always have the fastest stop light care with 4wd and launch control.
I'm getting a manual m2, but I'm on a list for an RS3. Car just checks so many cool boxes.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #97
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Hmm, don't think the US order guide is out, only Canada. Unless if you can provide the link.
The BandO standard on the car in Canada. And indeed the other options are really reasonable - especially the performance exhaust. Has anyone played the videos from Oman? The car sounds totally badass. Better than an M2.
I don't catch a distinction that they are "O" LEDs. However LED headlights are standard. Yes, the pano roof also appears standard and why would that be a problem? How many people are really tracking a 4 door sedan? Optimally, you could get a sunroof delete, but who cares? Handling may be a bit challenged, but electronic suspensions these days cure many ills. Oh, and electronic suspension also standard. 0-100k in 4.1 sec, pretty badass. Not drag racing? Well, doesn't matter, you will always have the fastest stop light care with 4wd and launch control.
I'm getting a manual m2, but I'm on a list for an RS3. Car just checks so many cool boxes.
We are talking about the TT RS.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #98
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

This IS the RS3 sedan thread...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #99
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
This IS the RS3 sedan thread...
And yet the TT RS was mentioned by another user.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #100
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

Quote:
And yet the TT RS was mentioned by another user.
Which triggered you, no doubt..
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #101
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
Which triggered you, no doubt..
Lol what? Pointless comment.

Go talk about the RS3.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 03:30 AM   #102
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

One thing they all lack now with the new lighter engine are overrun burbles, cracks & pops. The engine still is special but for me the lack of those obnoxious sounds is a huge letdown, similar to 718 4-cyl issue.
I also wanted to go with manual M2 and RS3 as the perfect combo in my garage but this issue if true makes the RS3 somewhat less attractive.
Appreciate 1
S1monQc223.50
      03-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #103
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
One thing they all lack now with the new lighter engine are overrun burbles, cracks & pops. The engine still is special but for me the lack of those obnoxious sounds is a huge letdown, similar to 718 4-cyl issue.
I also wanted to go with manual M2 and RS3 as the perfect combo in my garage but this issue if true makes the RS3 somewhat less attractive.
I think you have not heard this engine in dynamic mode. PLENTY of cracks and pops. LOUD.

https://youtu.be/ehmpAYRiRdc

1:55
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #104
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I think you have not heard this engine in dynamic mode. PLENTY of cracks and pops. LOUD.

1:55
On idle yes, but we'll see if Audi didn't quietly tone it down a bit on the move (via ECU mode - hello Dieselgate . RS3 lost this overrun cracks and pops like on the vid below (as far as the current YT videos go). I'm waiting on some real reviews - maybe it's lack of sport exhaust?
Check this out:
0:43 onwards

vs this (6:35):

Last edited by Benef1cient; 03-27-2017 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #105
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
On idle yes, but we'll see if Audi didn't quietly tone it down a bit. RS3 lost this overrun cracks and pops like on the vid below (as far as the current YT videos go). I'm waiting on some real reviews - maybe it's lack of sport exhaust?
Check this out:

[u2b]https://youtu.be/MDmYba0YfT0?t=42[/u2b]

vs this:

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoMk6486BAk[/u2b]

Why would they tone it down though? The reason they made it a 5cyl is because of the exhaust note. In the video I posted, you can hear the car roll down and park beside the R8, it sounds perfect.

I don't think exhaust will be an issue at all! I just cannot get over how ugly the RS3 is. Same thing as a Kia Forte.

I'm debating getting an M2, C7 Gran Sport or TT RS. Let's see what happens once it is summer and the TT RS starts to sell.

On paper the RS3 seems pretty great; the aesthetics just don't do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #106
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Why would they tone it down though? The reason they made it a 5cyl is because of the exhaust note. In the video I posted, you can hear the car roll down and park beside the R8, it sounds perfect.

I don't think exhaust will be an issue at all! I just cannot get over how ugly the RS3 is. Same thing as a Kia Forte.

I'm debating getting an M2, C7 Gran Sport or TT RS. Let's see what happens once it is summer and the TT RS starts to sell.

I don't think they did it on purpose. The whole magic about the I5 was it's unique rough character with 1-3-5-4-2 firing order. Apart from the aluminum block they also revised fuel injection system and some other stuff what might have resulted in a smoother running motor maybe? Or they were forced to resign due to some german dB limitations? Just my assumption - it may turn out that it is as obnoxious and loud as before and this is what I'm hoping for .
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #107
Halvie
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3 / 2016 Golf R

Quote:

I mean....are you an idiot? The car looks like a modern b5 s4/rs4. It looks good. Get your eyes checked.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #108
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvie
Quote:

I mean....are you an idiot? The car looks like a modern b5 s4/rs4. It looks good. Get your eyes checked.
I'll agree that it looks like a modern B5 S4. I had one loved it. That said it's no modern RS4. The body styling on the RS used to be much more aggressive.
Appreciate 1
S1monQc223.50
      03-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #109
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvie View Post
Wow rude much? Go get your manners checked you vulgar child.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #110
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvie View Post
You're the idiot that considers these bland as fuck lights attractive. There is NOTHING sexy about this. It doesn't even have any lines FFS.

Now look at the TT RS, those dual LED lights and check out the rear with a perfect size wing and OLED tailights.

https://goo.gl/images/og9Rws

https://goo.gl/images/ts9C27

https://goo.gl/images/jYneNF

https://goo.gl/images/XB2eXf

Even in red it looks bland. Christ.
Appreciate 0