BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M235xi 400hp+

09-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
M_Addict235
Rep
Drives: M235XI

M235xi 400hp+

Picked up 2015 235xi only has 7k miles, and I absolutely love the thing. I've had it for a little over a month, and even though its a really fun little car, I need to add more power. I want it to feel edgier, and my last car was a 996 turbo so I really miss having that extra power.

So far I've been looking at a Dinan stage 3 kit, but I've read some post saying its had some issues (not being as powerful seeming as its supposed to be), plus it seems expensive overall. I have CPO warranty, and I know modding may get rid of that, but I'm ready to risk that for some more performance.

TBH I'm a noob when it comes to modding, so I'm reaching out to see the setup you guys have that is producing 400hp+ and 450lb ft tq+. For exhaust I'm thinking fabspeed sport cat downpipe, and either the M performance exhaust or something a little more aggressive sounding. I'm also thinking about an injen cold air intake mainly for sound, but may go with dinan cold air intake just so I don't have to worry about a CEL. Also going to change to a high performance intercooler (comment below on opinions), and of course adding a tune which is what I really need help deciding on, because I'm looking to add a good amount of hp and tq. I don't want to go big single turbo because I like the power delivery the way it is right now with low end torque.

Future plans after getting to the power level I want is to work on suspension, tires, brakes, and handling mods, but I'll leave that for another post. So please help out, let me know the best way to add as much power as I can while still staying reliable (No CEL).
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

JB4, ER Catless DP, ER Charge Pipe, VRSF Front Mount Intercooler, Pure Stage 2 turbo, E85, Fuel It fuel pumps.

You will be easily in 400hp+ territory safely.

Of course all the brands I've suggested for parts are just personal preference as far as downpipe, charge pipe, and front mount goes.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #3
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Buy an M2

I am trying to give you constructive advise, but it may not be what you are looking for. I am guessing you spent around 30k for the car. If you want to make it faster, handle better, stop better and be quicker on the track, I can easily see 25k worth of upgrades, and no warranty. If you shop, you can find a used M2, under warranty for 50k or less. The M2 will be a better car hands down and you will get your money back on resale ....not so with your car. I have been down this rabbit hole with a C5Z and $75,000 later I should have just bought the C7!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Not to offend, but why is this posted in the M2 forum? It belongs in the 2 series forum.

/thread
Appreciate 5
atxsk8r1568.50
Seagull287.50
///Cardia299.50
ZPrime610.50
      09-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Not to offend, but why is this posted in the M2 forum? It belongs in the 2 series forum.

/thread
Maybe he wants us to tell him the obvious; buy an M2?
qnet676.00
      09-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
strato58
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Its not a great idea. Buy another 996tt or step up to a 997tt. Why spend all that money to push this motor to its absolute max and maybe breaking point? I dont get it
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 07:31 AM   #7
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I have also been down the modding path. Unless you are planning on building some sort of stripped down track car (and there are much better choices for that than an AWD 235), sell the 235 and buy something faster. No matter how much you put into the 235, it will fall short in almost all performance categories compared to a 996 turbo.

I'm guessing you wanted a more practical car than the 996. I would suggest any recent model used M car in the BMW family, though the M2/3/4 are probably what you would want. It will be much closer to the 996 than anything you can get modding the 235 and likely less expensive in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I'm feeling all the hate! MAN ease up on the guy....

Nothing wrong with maxing out the AWD M235! It will be fast enough, and you can use it year round like any other nice AWD car. . I am amazed at the mods people have done on that engine and have not read much about transmissions dying. Dinan's setup has warrantee....I assume they give you some coverage even if the car itself is no longer under factory warrantee.

Any modified car is a chase down a rabbit hole. I've chased the repair and drive rabbit hole on my 14 year old car, sure I could have just bought a new car.....(?should have LOL). Enjoy your ride. Modify it....post photos of the work.....The more modified n55 engines out there the better....

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #9
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Wrong forum. Here is the correct forum: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=530
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #10
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

No hate here, just suggesting that an M3/4 would tick all the boxes without the potential problems with engine and suspension mods.

If the OP wants to mod the 235, they should go for it. It still won't come close to the old 911 turbo unless they spend and obscene amount of money.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #11
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem View Post
No hate here
.... It still won't come close to the old 911 turbo unless they spend and obscene amount of money.
True! LOL, but then again, you'd have to put a lot of cash into the 911 to make the rear seat hold a 12 year old!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 01:13 AM   #12
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

I'm disappointed to see all the hate here. Let me try represent m2 community in an appropriate way.

To be precise, 400whp (assuming 300whp stock for a M235i EWG AWD) is just maxing out EWG turbo, not N55 engine. Since OP is all set for PS2 upgrade, I'd say 400whp is a pretty conservative number to aim at. All you need are DP/IC/CP/Inlet/LPFP/Turbo/flash tune (forget about useless intake pls), a cost of some 8k (turbo core exchange, labor included). That's pretty much the same thing it takes with a m2 to get there.

It's a good deal for you to have a car constantly seeing mid to high 11s in 1/4 for less than 40k.

But, if you want improve handling, upgrade coilover, brake, wheel, tyre, LSD, etc, this is where you don't get bang for the buck, instead you will want to buy a m2/3/4 in the first place.
      09-24-2017, 03:07 AM   #13
Lukeni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
I'm disappointed to see all the hate here. Let me try represent m2 community in an appropriate way.

To be precise, 400whp (assuming 300whp stock for a M235i EWG AWD) is just maxing out EWG turbo, not N55 engine. Since OP is all set for PS2 upgrade, I'd say 400whp is a pretty conservative number to aim at. All you need are DP/IC/CP/Inlet/LPFP/Turbo/flash tune (forget about useless intake pls), a cost of some 8k (turbo core exchange, labor included). That's pretty much the same thing it takes with a m2 to get there.

It's a good deal for you to have a car constantly seeing mid to high 11s in 1/4 for less than 40k.

But, if you want improve handling, upgrade coilover, brake, wheel, tyre, LSD, etc, this is where you don't get bang for the buck, instead you will want to buy a m2/3/4 in the first place.
Excellent conclusion *thumbs up*
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #14
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Addict235 View Post
Picked up 2015 235xi only has 7k miles, and I absolutely love the thing. I've had it for a little over a month, and even though its a really fun little car, I need to add more power. I want it to feel edgier, and my last car was a 996 turbo so I really miss having that extra power.

So far I've been looking at a Dinan stage 3 kit, but I've read some post saying its had some issues (not being as powerful seeming as its supposed to be), plus it seems expensive overall. I have CPO warranty, and I know modding may get rid of that, but I'm ready to risk that for some more performance.

TBH I'm a noob when it comes to modding, so I'm reaching out to see the setup you guys have that is producing 400hp+ and 450lb ft tq+. For exhaust I'm thinking fabspeed sport cat downpipe, and either the M performance exhaust or something a little more aggressive sounding. I'm also thinking about an injen cold air intake mainly for sound, but may go with dinan cold air intake just so I don't have to worry about a CEL. Also going to change to a high performance intercooler (comment below on opinions), and of course adding a tune which is what I really need help deciding on, because I'm looking to add a good amount of hp and tq. I don't want to go big single turbo because I like the power delivery the way it is right now with low end torque.

Future plans after getting to the power level I want is to work on suspension, tires, brakes, and handling mods, but I'll leave that for another post. So please help out, let me know the best way to add as much power as I can while still staying reliable (No CEL).
Staying reliable is a strong phrase with any engine modifications.

You want the engine and drivetrain to stay reliable for 20k, 40k or 100k?

Do you do much tracking or drag racing?

I would recommend moving onto the S55 platform if you like modding and power.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Addict235 View Post

Jb4
Downpipe
Intercooler
Charge Pipe
Intake

If you still want more power, get methanol injection

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0