BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 brake pads are soft - a visual representation

03-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #23
LGWGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster, '24 BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
The drive was from D/FW to Fredericksburg. The pictures he took were, I believe, just after we got to Fredericksburg (or at least the pic of my wheel was). Two of us with M2's had to come from north of Dallas to Cleburne (SW of Fort Worth) to meet up, so we had a bit of a drive to start off through city highways on a Friday morning.
Bummed I missed this. Would have been the perfect excuse to visit family in San Antonio as well.
      03-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #24
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Clearing garage space

Wow. I don't know if this is all hate or general rudeness, which I have been accused of on these forums. My gosh people ..... everyone must be in a really bad mood.

Group hug time. Ya' all need to hug this one out.
Appreciate 2
Whatup30.50
Destroya371.00
      03-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #25
Whatup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

When I first read this thread, I also thought OP did make implications that brake dust ~ softer brakes ~ less stopping power. Just as others said, there are too many variables to make that extrapolation based on pictures. But regardless, I don't believe he deserved the hostility he is getting. Makes me nervous to post on this forum sometimes unless its along the line of "the M2 is the greatest car ever made." I hope its just miscommunication and it's just passionate people being passionate.
Appreciate 4
Destroya371.00
1M Tex240.00
      03-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #26
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatup View Post
When I first read this thread, I also thought OP did make implications that brake dust ~ softer brakes ~ less stopping power. Just as others said, there are too many variables to make that extrapolation based on pictures. But regardless, I don't believe he deserved the hostility he is getting. Makes me nervous to post on this forum sometimes unless its along the line of "the M2 is the greatest car ever made." I hope its just miscommunication and it's just passionate people being passionate.
Agreed. I did not interpret any claim of performance deficit, just more dust (which was subjective and hard to nail down) and faster wear (which depended on the 'more dust' assessment). Was presented as more of a heads up than a critique.

If you are going to flame... I suggest read the post carefully before you do and make sure you are not reading something in it that is not there.

Of course, there seems to be a 1M v M2 rivalry developing here, so when a 1M driver posts something about the M2...
Appreciate 3
      03-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Clearing garage space

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...ee6eb5be28b3e9

Just to put a cap on this one .....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #28
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

I'll hijack the thread with a picture of 3 messy M2's at the last stop on the way back to D/FW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
1M Tex240.00
      03-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #29
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
I'll hijack the thread with a picture of 3 messy M2's at the last stop on the way back to D/FW.
What are "Fried Pies"? Almost afraid to ask.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #30
LGWGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster, '24 BSM M2

Quote:
Looks like the D/FW LBB's are piling up. I've only seen one in person so far.
      03-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #31
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
What are "Fried Pies"? Almost afraid to ask.
Pretty much a circle of dough with fruit "pie filling" folded over, sealed, then fried. My wife and someone else had one and said they were pretty good.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #32
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGWGN View Post
Quote:
Looks like the D/FW LBB's are piling up. I've only seen one in person so far.
Yes.

An M2 LBB owner will never " see yourself ... "
on the street .. until you go to a BMW gathering. Once you do - if you have LBB you will suddenly be boring.

Black and MG will get all the love at a BMW gathering because they are far more rare.

Same is true of the 1M in Valencia orange.

I went to ofest in South Carolina and saw eleven 1M - all but one other white car were orange.
Appreciate 1
1M Tex240.00
      03-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #33
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:

I was going to do the same and I have a similar photo but the plates were visible and I didn't care to take the time to remove them.
Appreciate 1
1M Tex240.00
      03-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #34
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pedasho View Post
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...ee6eb5be28b3e9

Just to put a cap on this one .....
indeed.

I do admit to stirring the pot on occasion... and definitely can agree on moods effecting posts.. .. but trolling as per that definition.. nope. Every character I type.. can and would be said to a person directly. That's also why my NAME is at the end of every post and I use the same ID on every car forum. Come and find me and I will say the same exact things. [ Perhaps we will eventually agree and perhaps we will have to agree to disagree but that won't keep me from sharing a beer and a lively conversation or discussion.

love me or hate me... I'm always "100".
Appreciate 2
1M Tex240.00
      03-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #35
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I was going to do the same and I have a similar photo but the plates were visible and I didn't care to take the time to remove them.
I just hate to assume other people are OK with pics of their plates being posted. Not like they are private, but you never know. I had to resize the image anyway.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #36
bmwm1
Rep
Drives: M2

I have a M2 and was surprised at how bad the stock brakes performed. I am an advanced driver and found at Limerock park a place I could brake at the 3 marker easily with other stack cars the M2 after a few laps I would be braking at the 6. The brakes felt like I had glaised (sp) the pads. However after a coll down for an 1 hour they worked fine for a lap or 2 and then would not stop.

I have a track night tomorrow at Palmer and installed Hawks so looking forward to experiencing the improvement.

Very surprising the stock pads are so bad on the track. The Hawks are too noisy however for the street right now. Maybe they will breakin at the track and quiet down. I would prefer to not have to switch them back adn forth. The Hawks are street/race as I only do a couple events a year with this car.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #37
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm1 View Post
I have a M2 and was surprised at how bad the stock brakes performed. I am an advanced driver and found at Limerock park a place I could brake at the 3 marker easily with other stack cars the M2 after a few laps I would be braking at the 6. The brakes felt like I had glaised (sp) the pads. However after a coll down for an 1 hour they worked fine for a lap or 2 and then would not stop.

I have a track night tomorrow at Palmer and installed Hawks so looking forward to experiencing the improvement.

Very surprising the stock pads are so bad on the track. The Hawks are too noisy however for the street right now. Maybe they will breakin at the track and quiet down. I would prefer to not have to switch them back adn forth. The Hawks are street/race as I only do a couple events a year with this car.

I've never been so disappointed with a BMW pad and have driven E30, E36, E46, E82, E90 and F82 M cars (as well as several non M) all on track. Fortunately, the OE calipers appear to be fine.. it is the pads themselves for sure... and agree.. it's like the compound has very little durability and just goes up in smoke (dust) with very little actual braking torque.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-28-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #38
TampaF87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Thanks OP, I'm awaiting delivery and from my experience with newer generation cars, dust is miserable. I was trying to see exactly how bad the dust is, and am already looking for a replacement set before I take delivery.

As for the people on the thread saying he was equating the soft, high dust compound with lack of braking effectiveness, I can't find anywhere that he said that in the original post.His correlation was that the high dust was an indicator of wear (which is certainly ONE indicator, not THE indicator), and that could mean burning through multiple OEM pad sets during a heavy track weekend. As for their effectiveness, he mentions separately that they weren't effective in his experience, but not that causation was the heavy dust quality of the pad, but separately they ALSO were ineffective as a track duty pad.

To put it simply, he stated that the OEM pads were soft, and heavily dust, and suggested that people might want to upgrade their pads for economical or aesthetic reasons (get rid of excess dusting). THEN he mentions their lack of effectiveness. I don't care how well versed you are in statistics, as mentioned by the 'spurious correlation' comment, if you have bad reading comprehension then your statistical evaluation is ruined, and you just look like that guy at a party that says big words in order to make himself feel superior ina group setting.

I can see some people fit the stereotypical BMW owner on this forum...
Appreciate 0