BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive 5.0 to 6.0 Upgrade

08-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #67
mdriverSD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 6MT LBB

would love to have Apple Car Play and the new updated iDrive interface for my 16' M2
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #68
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriverSD View Post
would love to have Apple Car Play and the new updated iDrive interface for my 16' M2
Have you used carplay before?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #69
mdriverSD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Have you used carplay before?
Yes and I prefer the Apple or Google maps/GPS much better than BMW Nav
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #70
wenklaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m2

Quote:
Yes and I prefer the Apple or Google maps/GPS much better than BMW Nav
Arguably its not as good as the BMW nav, it wont go full size for a a start and if you are in a built up city the GPS from your phone isn't going to be as good as the inbuilt car GPS, I am assuming iPhone carplay apps use the phones resources not the cars as is my understanding of how it works.

Nice to have but it most certainly isn't worth the near £200 BMW charge for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #71
Cibbersicks
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2 LBB

Here's a bit of an update and a look at my feelings about ID6.

Since upgrading to ID6 lite around a week ago, I've noticed a couple of intermittent errors. They come and go and don't happen all the time.

The weather app seems to disappear occasionally, leaving an empty globe logo on the Connected Drive tile. It reappears a few hours later.

The second is a little more annoying - a few times I've started the car, the screen shows the "home" screen, then a few seconds later it changes itself to the connected drive settings screen. A quick press of the menu button takes it home again, it doesn't happen every time, but is a little annoying. Not sure if its because it's an un-updated version of ID6.

I'm hoping to get a full software update carried out by local coder DDCoding in a few weeks. Hopefully I will see a slight improvement.

Overall, I'm not fully taken by ID6. Touch screen may make more sense, but I wouldn't use that anyway as I can't stand fingerprints all over the screen, it would drive my OCD levels over the edge.
I've noticed it's a little counter-intuitive. There appears to be (with some features) more ways to access the same thing, then in other ways there are less obvious paths to choose, so I find myself pausing to think about where to go. Not ideal when driving.
I do like the live tiles, the nav tile especially, that follows the road as you drive along, while showing the current track you're playing via media.

All in all, I think ID6 isn't a major step up from ID5 - it's more of an adaptation for touch screen, which, as I said I think a lot of owners will be like me and don't want to touch the screen.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #72
mdriverSD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibbersicks View Post

Since upgrading to ID6 lite around a week ago, I've noticed a couple of intermittent errors. They come and go and don't happen all the time.

The weather app seems to disappear occasionally, leaving an empty globe logo on the Connected Drive tile. It reappears a few hours later.

The second is a little more annoying - a few times I've started the car, the screen shows the "home" screen, then a few seconds later it changes itself to the connected drive settings screen. A quick press of the menu button takes it home again, it doesn't happen every time, but is a little annoying. Not sure if its because it's an un-updated version of ID6.

I'm hoping to get a full software update carried out by local coder DDCoding in a few weeks. Hopefully I will see a slight improvement.

Overall, I'm not fully taken by ID6. Touch screen may make more sense, but I wouldn't use that anyway as I can't stand fingerprints all over the screen, it would drive my OCD levels over the edge.
I've noticed it's a little counter-intuitive. There appears to be (with some features) more ways to access the same thing, then in other ways there are less obvious paths to choose, so I find myself pausing to think about where to go. Not ideal when driving.
I do like the live tiles, the nav tile especially, that follows the road as you drive along, while showing the current track you're playing via media.

All in all, I think ID6 isn't a major step up from ID5 - it's more of an adaptation for touch screen, which, as I said I think a lot of owners will be like me and don't want to touch the screen.
Great post!

How do I go about updating my software? Do I go to the dealer? Find a coder in my area??
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #73
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Great post!

How do I go about updating my software? Do I go to the dealer? Find a coder in my area??
Dealer will not update.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #74
mdriverSD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Dealer will not update.
why? thats bizarre
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #75
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
why? thats bizarre
Dealer lacks software.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 09:49 PM   #76
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:

Update I did at dealer fixed your issue minus connected drive issues but I think that's a BMW server issue because when I coded back to id5 weather still wouldn't show.
      08-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #77
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Quote:
why? thats bizarre
Dealer lacks software.
What's there latest version. They should have it mine gave me that song and dance as well until I said I was willing to pay out of pocket. That's when the story changed.
      08-12-2017, 11:28 PM   #78
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSurfer View Post
What's there latest version. They should have it mine gave me that song and dance as well until I said I was willing to pay out of pocket. That's when the story changed.
P3.62.2. July release. F020-17-07-503

Telephone: TB-006.001.044
Media: MB-006.001.044

But, that is different from changing between ID5 & ID6.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 05:48 AM   #79
wenklaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m2

Quote:

Interesting as I don't have any issues after I coded ID6 lite. I do agree though, ID6 is different but not a massive improvement by any means. The live tiles are useful but don't really offer a great deal more than having a split screen active on ID5.
Touchscreens in cars aren't a good idea our other car has one it it drives me insane, finger prints on the screen makes the car just look plain old grubby.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 07:42 PM   #80
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Turn off your phone's bluetooth and see if this still happens.

One thing I noticed is this didn't start happening to me till the BMW connected app updated to the latest version. I also noticed that whenever this happened, my phone's lock screen had a notification from the BMW connected app saying that the phone was now connected to the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 09:36 PM   #81
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

No CarPlay
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #82
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have an early 2016 build so i guess Idrive 6...Whats the Minimum requirement for android screen mirroring???
      01-30-2018, 12:54 AM   #83
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM2Power View Post
I have an early 2016 build so i guess Idrive 6...Whats the Minimum requirement for android screen mirroring???
Early 2016 build would be iDrive 4.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 09:19 AM   #84
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

I have discover that if car is not equipped with 6ns or 6wd WiFi aerial is missing ( Tried to code mine and ista gave error of missing hardware)
Basically this is the pre requisite to retrofit or coding apple play with Id 5 and 6
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #85
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppeM3+123d View Post
I have discover that if car is not equipped with 6ns or 6wd WiFi aerial is missing ( Tried to code mine and ista gave error of missing hardware)
Basically this is the pre requisite to retrofit or coding apple play with Id 5 and 6
Ok...To be clear I do not want car play, Im mainly interested in android mirroring...Is this possible with the apparent ancient ID4?
      02-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #86
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I bought a used 17. Is there a way to figure out my build date?

The live tiles look pretty cool. I used the bimmercode app to play around with ASD. How much more difficult is it to update to ID6 lite? I'm assuming I have an older idrive.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 10:15 PM   #87
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
I bought a used 17. Is there a way to figure out my build date?

The live tiles look pretty cool. I used the bimmercode app to play around with ASD. How much more difficult is it to update to ID6 lite? I'm assuming I have an older idrive.
Decode VIN: Bimmer.work

If you have tiles, you can toggle between ID5 and ID6_lite.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #88
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Whats the best place (if one) in NY area to physically change my ancient 2016 ID4 to the bigger screen id5 or 6...Idk about touch screen...I just want a touch screen and android mirroring...

That is is it possible with hardware changes????