BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Phone mount/holder

06-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #23
leecarrera
Rep
Drives: M2

Macally Mount

This Macally mount works well. The part fitting in the cupholder is knob adjustable in circumference so that you can get it very tight fit in the cupholder. I purchased both the short and the long neck types and found that the short did not clear the position of fifth gear (6MT) well enough (but probably would be fine in the DCT). The long neck provides lots of positions and does not block any of the functional aspects of the dash. The third picture shows the gear selector in 5th. There are many other positions possible depending on the size of your phone and is variable to just about any position.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #24
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

All of these are great alternatives. But each one seems you have to give up some function and it's just a matter of chossing which will best suit you.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #25
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiK View Post
Here is mine - iOttie Easy One Touch Mini CD Slot Mount.
https://www.iottie.com/Product/Detai...-_-Smartphones

This is clever! Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #26
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Belkin Car Cup Holder Mount

I used two of these slightly modified for an iPad mini mount. Excellent build quality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #27
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
This thing from KUDA was shared by someone else on the main M2 Discussion section...

Probably what I will be going with, and then attaching my ProClip mount to it.

Some pics taken from the original post and re-hosted...

Note that the original poster of this apparently glued strong magnets inside the mount from the backside, and then uses a case on his phone with a steel plate in it so his phone just "sticks" on the dock via magnetism.

My biggest concern is whether the LCI dash redesign will affect this thing and require a new design to fit...
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.

Last edited by ZPrime; 07-09-2017 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #28
SullyM2
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT mineral gray

+1 on the Kenu.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #29
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
I'm using this. I use it with a case but you could simply peel and stick directly to the phone and use without a case.
It's discreet when not in use and clean looking when in use since u only see ur phone floating in front of you. You can also mount it horizontally or vertically...magnets are quite strong. I was skeptical at first about the phone staying put when going over bumps etc but it doesn't budge!
I use this too. It also keeps the phone cold by being right in front of a vent since phones exposed to the sun and in use heat up really quick. The best part about it is that it is quick and easy to attach/detach your phone with - literally just grab and go. Its also <$5 on Amazon.

The only downside is that because it is blocking a vent, on really hot days, you are without a vent. I've tried putting it on the passenger side center vent and it's ok.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 05:25 PM   #30
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
This thing from KUDA was shared by someone else on the main M2 Discussion section...

Probably what I will be going with, and then attaching my ProClip mount to it.

Some pics taken from the original post and re-hosted...

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Note that the original poster of this apparently glued strong magnets inside the mount from the backside, and then uses a case on his phone with a steel plate in it so his phone just "sticks" on the dock via magnetism.

My biggest concern is whether the LCI dash redesign will affect this thing and require a new design to fit...
They are getting very lazy.

This was made for the 1 series (even says so, everywhere).

This is a very poor fit for this price.

I would not buy it again, or recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #31
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post

It doesn't work on the LCI at all, because the dash is different. I found this out the hard way.

The pics I posted were stolen from someone else's post who has it in a 2016 or 2017 M2 though - it fits the old design, it just doesn't work with the LCI dash.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 06:13 PM   #32
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't work on the LCI at all, because the dash is different. I found this out the hard way.

The pics I posted were stolen from someone else's post who has it in a 2016 or 2017 M2 though - it fits the old design, it just doesn't work with the LCI dash.
It works for sure. When you only use the "blade" that goes in between the radio and dash. Fold the other "blade" into the mount itself.

It's far from perfect.. and not worth the money... well, kinda not. It's still the only one I've found that doesn't block at least something /radio/HVAC/vents/cupholder.

The pic's don't show the gap from the passengers side... but big disappointment compared to the Kuda in my M4.
——————————
In the time I went out to take these photos.. the gentleman that I bought the mount from (Kuda USA, in Texas (I think).. called me back, after reading my email.

He informed me the updated KUDA mount for the LCI M2 should be shipping out to me next Friday. He's including a postage paid return envelope for the older model.

That's fantastic customer service, rectifying an issue quickly and easily.

If it's better then this one, and on par with the M4 one... I'll highly recommend it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #33
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
It works for sure. When you only use the "blade" that goes in between the radio and dash. Fold the other "blade" into the mount itself.
I didn't want to try that because I was worried it wouldn't hold the mount solidly enough with just the "tab" wedged next to the radio trim.

Quote:
It's far from perfect.. and not worth the money... well, kinda not. It's still the only one I've found that doesn't block at least something /radio/HVAC/vents/cupholder.
This is exactly why I wanted the Kuda over everything else, I didn't want to block a vent. Now that I have the Awron gauge to install, I think I can use the Proclip base to the right of it and not block anything that I care about... but I don't like having the phone up that high on the dash anyway.

The sole downside to the Kuda is that it makes it harder for a passenger to hit their seat-heat button or adjust their climate knob... but I don't have a passenger in the car most of the time.

Quote:
In the time I went out to take these photos.. the gentleman that I bought the mount from (Kuda USA, in Texas (I think).. called me back, after reading my email.

He informed me the updated KUDA mount for the LCI M2 should be shipping out to me next Friday. He's including a postage paid return envelope for the older model.

If it's better then this one, and on par with the M4 one... I'll highly recommend it.
Holy crap, I e-mailed them before ordering and never got a response. I will need to try contacting again and see if I can get mine replaced as well - it's never even been "installed" on the car because I could see from looking at it that it wouldn't fit right. For the nearly $75 I paid (with shipping), I sure as hell hope they'll replace it.

Where is your USB cable feeding to in that last picture? I've been plugging in to the port between the cupholders, but that means you can't close the cupholder cover.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #34
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't want to try that because I was worried it wouldn't hold the mount solidly enough with just the "tab" wedged next to the radio trim.

Quote:
This is exactly why I wanted the Kuda over everything else, I didn't want to block a vent. Now that I have the Awron gauge to install, I think I can use the Proclip base to the right of it and not block anything that I care about... but I don't like having the phone up that high on the dash anyway.

Quote:

Holy crap, I e-mailed them before ordering and never got a response. I will need to try contacting again and see if I can get mine replaced as well - it's never even been "installed" on the car because I could see from looking at it that it wouldn't fit right. For the nearly $75 I paid (with shipping), I sure as hell hope they'll replace it.
If it's the same person, I'm sure he will. He handled it well.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 06:24 PM   #35
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

The sole downside to the Kuda is that it makes it harder for a passenger to hit their seat-heat button or adjust their climate knob... but I don't have a passenger in the car most of the time.

Quote:

PM'd
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #36
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Where is your USB cable feeding to in that last picture? I've been plugging in to the port between the cupholders, but that means you can't close the cupholder cover.
Damn it. I should read slower.

Regarding the wire.. just pop up the carbon and you can easily squeeze under it.

The M2 pic's are the quick and temporary routing. This weekend I'll pop it all the way out and drill a small hole on the forward part of the armrest.

See the M4 pic's of the finished product. Completely stealth.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #37
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

M2
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #38
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

M4
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #39
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Love it. I actually use both USB ports (I have a memory stick in the other one)... but the stick I use is tiny / stubby and I think might actually fit under the closed cupholders. I'll have to look into this setup. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #40
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just received the new version (LCI) today from Kuda.

It's fantastic. Perfect fit.

I highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #41
M2Rob
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White M2

My Kuda mount (lci) should be here any day! Do you have pics of the fit?
      04-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #42
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It's tough to get a good angle... but here's a few.

Getting a longer cable, so I'll be able to tuck it in better... you shouldn't really be able to see but 2"-3" of cable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      06-29-2018, 09:33 PM   #43
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Honestly you guys screwing and gluing shit are nuts.
iPhone 8+ works portrait or landscape
Attached Images

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 02:39 AM   #44
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by particulardude View Post
Honestly you guys screwing and gluing shit are nuts.
iPhone 8+ works portrait or landscape
that has a bunch of downsides...
way too low to see easily while driving
not really usable with a 6MT unless you like punching your phone
i don't trust magnets to hold a device during an autocross or on the dragon

the "screwing" I've done (I haven't touched any glue?) is simply to attach the Kuda base to the car, and the two screws are hidden in places where nobody will ever notice. A friend just saw it in my car today and thought it was a factory piece, did a double take, and then asked if it came like that. I had to explain how it worked.

I understand the cupholder and CD-player mounts if you're leasing (although TBH nobody would notice if you did the Kuda in a lease)... or if you're lazy and don't mind the downsides.
Appreciate 0