BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Creaking from coilovers?

02-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
cenz422
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Creaking from coilovers?

I recently installed M performance coilovers on the M2. I've been hearing creaking noises (as if 2 plastic pieces rubbing) on low to creeping speed when there is slight dips in the road. I thought it could be rear setup needs some rubber to deflect, but everything was installed according to instructions. Anyone know if lowering the car causes other parts and joints to make this sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenz422 View Post
I recently installed M performance coilovers on the M2. I've been hearing creaking noises (as if 2 plastic pieces rubbing) on low to creeping speed when there is slight dips in the road. I thought it could be rear setup needs some rubber to deflect, but everything was installed according to instructions. Anyone know if lowering the car causes other parts and joints to make this sound.
Cold weather will make springs and bushings to produce creaking noise. I could not be coilover but most likely the sway bar or suspension component bushings (rubber part) that wears out over the extended temp changes from cold and warm everyday.

Spray some WD 40 on suspected area where u think noise is coming from. That will give you the firm answer where exactly the noise is coming from. And then bring it to the dealer tell them where you sprayed and tell the exact source of the noise. Make sure you make a video clip before the noise is gone by spray WD40.

Check with your BMW as your coilover is no problem covered in warranty. They will replace the parts that causes the noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
cenz422
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Cold weather will make springs and bushings to produce creaking noise. I could not be coilover but most likely the sway bar or suspension component bushings (rubber part) that wears out over the extended temp changes from cold and warm everyday.

Spray some WD 40 on suspected area where u think noise is coming from. That will give you the firm answer where exactly the noise is coming from. And then bring it to the dealer tell them where you sprayed and tell the exact source of the noise. Make sure you make a video clip before the noise is gone by spray WD40.

Check with your BMW as your coilover is no problem covered in warranty. They will replace the parts that causes the noise.
Makes sense it would be cold weather and I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that since my coilovers in my e46 do the same in cold weather. The parts are brand new so i dont know if i would ask them to replace it. Perhaps I could wait for warmer weather and diagnose again. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #4
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Yup bushings. But the noise comes back after a while... get it changed since on waramtee
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

I have this setup and have not experienced any creaking whatsoever. Just giving you a data point which is what your looking for I assume.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
cenz422
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMTWO View Post
I have this setup and have not experienced any creaking whatsoever. Just giving you a data point which is what your looking for I assume.
Thats helpful. Thank you. This morning noise was non-existent. I am attributing it to the slight warmer weather change, but there still could be an issue. Since its under warranty, it doesn't hurt to bring it in and let a tech diagnose it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
I also have MP suspension and get creaking mostly when I go across a driveway kerb slowly. With still suspension I assumed this was with 1 wheel off the ground at the rear.
Not 100%sure its a bush though as I thought it could be the diff locking with 1 wheel in the air? Sounds a bit more mechanical to me, though I amy be hearing something different
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by M+M View Post
I also have MP suspension and get creaking mostly when I go across a driveway kerb slowly. With still suspension I assumed this was with 1 wheel off the ground at the rear.
Not 100%sure its a bush though as I thought it could be the diff locking with 1 wheel in the air? Sounds a bit more mechanical to me, though I amy be hearing something different
I do get some light creaking entering my driveway as well. I assume it's either the DCT clutch engaging/dis-engaging or the differential which appears to be normal. I'm sure the lack of sound deadening contibutes to noise. I never get it anywhere else oddly. Maybe the OP is hearing that instead?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
Quote:
I do get some light creaking entering my driveway as well. I assume it's either the DCT clutch engaging/dis-engaging or the differential which appears to be normal. I'm sure the lack of sound deadening contibutes to noise. I never get it anywhere else oddly. Maybe the OP is hearing that instead?
yes, sounds like you and I are hearing the same thing
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 07:00 AM   #10
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have had coilovers in the past and never had excessive creaking. Every now and then when turning tightly going into my inclined driveway which is at a pretty tight angle they would click a little but other than that nothing I would ever complain about. I always torque the to hat bolt and I use the rubber spring cushion between the spring and top hat so the spring does not move and creak. It will since it sits against plastic or delrin. I think that is why cars are coming with those rubber covers around the top and bottom coil so the don't tap and make noise. I thought about taking them off my stock springs and putting them on the H&R's but forgot..... I have not heard any noise but I am only lowered .75 on the M2. I was 1.25-1.5 on the others
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #11
cenz422
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I can distinguish between the diff and the noise i am hearing. i can live with the diff noise. Its the creaking that sounds like plastic on plastic. it drives me crazy but could be a product of car being lowered and perhaps causing stress on stock components. i might bring it in for inspection.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #12
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

I've had the coilovers fitted for 1,000 miles now and have the "squeak" noise when travelling slowly over speed bumps - only at the rear - a bit annoying seeing everything it brand new so very unlikely to be warn bushes. Also had everything sufficiently lubricated. Will get the dealer to take a look when it's next in.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #13
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Put some grease or oil on the bushings. It’ll be fine for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #14
GVN*2FLY
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘16 GT4|‘22 X3MC

Silicon grease is standard stuff when replacing bushings and works great.
Appreciate 0