BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Will I regret ordering M2 now instead of waiting for M2 Competition ?

06-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #155
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyM2 View Post
lol, why are you in the M2 thread? I know a lot of F series M3/M4 owners who regret leasing/owning one. (Here we go again)
Firstly, if you check my previous posts, you'll see how I think OG M2 is great car for what it is. I'm not here to bash one model or start a debate over something that has been discussed million times before. I like to see different opinions/perspectives on various interesting topics and this one happens to be one of them. Not that I have to explain it you or anyone else but I think you got your answer. Oh also, check the posts on this forum from 2-3 years ago and you'll still see some of mine so I'm not new here. Back to the topic... I can totally understand people not wanting to take the financial hit for switching from M2 to M2C but claiming it's almost a step backwards, or it won't have a soul etc is just hilarious. Whenever I see this type of justification I just state certain facts along with my own opinion regardless of which forum I'm writing to. I know some M3/M4 owners who regret their decisions too but they usually get rid of their cars to move to a different brand instead of replacing their cars with an M2. I never regretted my decision but I'll be getting rid of my M4 Comp for an M2C. I don't have any problem acknowledging pros and cons of each platform unlike many others in this thread or general M2 forum.
Some go straight to M2, some need go to M2C first and after to M2
Joke appart, you seem convinced by the S55 that is good, and I would love to test drive the M2C, potentially I could change my mind
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #156
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
You are talking a few pounds not hundreds. Weight wont matter much.

If you're staying stock the S55 may not matter but for tuning its worlds better. A simple 5 minute flash will make it 500whp. Or just flash the M4 ZCP tune if you want OEM.
150 pounds or so is what it looks like but I guess we will have to weigh it when we can to know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #157
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Quote:
Firstly, if you check my previous posts, you'll see how I think OG M2 is great car for what it is. I'm not here to bash one model or start a debate over something that has been discussed million times before. I like to see different opinions/perspectives on various interesting topics and this one happens to be one of them. Not that I have to explain it you or anyone else but I think you got your answer. Oh also, check the posts on this forum from 2-3 years ago and you'll still see some of mine so I'm not new here. Back to the topic... I can totally understand people not wanting to take the financial hit for switching from M2 to M2C but claiming it's almost a step backwards, or it won't have a soul etc is just hilarious. Whenever I see this type of justification I just state certain facts along with my own opinion regardless of which forum I'm writing to. I know some M3/M4 owners who regret their decisions too but they usually get rid of their cars to move to a different brand instead of replacing their cars with an M2. I never regretted my decision but I'll be getting rid of my M4 Comp for an M2C. I don't have any problem acknowledging pros and cons of each platform unlike many others in this thread or general M2 forum.
OMG, you are one of those people who knows it all, who has all the facts. Do you really think I would bother checking what else you have said before? Most of the time people don’t really know what they want they just end up following others anyway.
Now that the M2C will have an s55 engine, I’m gonna go ahead and make that change. No, I won’t be seen as Downgrading to an M2 since it’s an s55 and is called a competition. But still I’m gonna make current M2 owners feel what they got is shit just like how I felt (probably) when I got my M4 but the M2 was the one given all the praises by the media. Dude, grow up and enjoy your ride or whatever you decide to get in the future. Don't you get it? It’s all just marketing man and BMW just got a hold of your balls. They just want your money man.
Now that Korea just kick the Germans out of the World Cup maybe we should all trade in our BMW’s with Kia’s. Man, all this nonsense. Honestly, I’m just effing with your head. I could really care less what you think. But I suggest you enjoy what you have and be content of whatever you get or definitely have less money in your retirement funds.
I myself could have gotten the M3/M4. Believe me I gave it a try, test drove both on the road and on the track and it was just not the right M car for me but the M2 is. Enjoy what you think the right car is for you and give praise to others with what they have or shut up if you have nothing good to say.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #158
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyM2 View Post
OMG, you are one of those people who knows it all, who has all the facts. Do you really think I would bother checking what else you have said before? Most of the time people don’t really know what they want they just end up following others anyway.
Now that the M2C will have an s55 engine, I’m gonna go ahead and make that change. No, I won’t be seen as Downgrading to an M2 since it’s an s55 and is called a competition. But still I’m gonna make current M2 owners feel what they got is shit just like how I felt (probably) when I got my M4 but the M2 was the one given all the praises by the media. Dude, grow up and enjoy your ride or whatever you decide to get in the future. Don't you get it? It’s all just marketing man and BMW just got a hold of your balls. They just want your money man.
Now that Korea just kick the Germans out of the World Cup maybe we should all trade in our BMW’s with Kia’s. Man, all this nonsense. Honestly, I’m just effing with your head. I could really care less what you think. But I suggest you enjoy what you have and be content of whatever you get or definitely have less money in your retirement funds.
I myself could have gotten the M3/M4. Believe me I gave it a try, test drove both on the road and on the track and it was just not the right M car for me but the M2 is. Enjoy what you think the right car is for you and give praise to others with what they have or shut up if you have nothing good to say.
One of the most nonsense posts I've read in a while. Gave me a good laugh though thanks You don't care what I think but still care to write a long ass reply? ok lol.

You are not even half correct about me owning an M4 and stating my opinion about the M2 and that's exactly why I said go check my earlier posts before whining here. I did order an M2 in March 2016 and at the time I was well aware of those great reviews that were praising the M2 over M4. I cancelled my order last minute after seeing various dyno results and finding out the N55 in the M2 was already maxed out from the factory. And yes, I drove the M2 on and off track just like you did drive an M4. OG M2 is significantly underpowered and slow with not enough cooling capabilities for me, plain and simple. I both daily and track my M4 ZCP on a regular basis and there is no single occasion that I thought it had too much power neither on the street nor on the track. It's great if you are one of those people who think OG M2 got just enough power. However, not everyone has to think the same or agree with you. I think you should grow up and learn how not to get your feelings hurt easily when you see an opposite opinion. ... and no, I or someone else won't shut up or stop stating their opinions just because some people like yourself can't handle it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #159
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Quote:
One of the most nonsense posts I've read in a while. Gave me a good laugh though thanks You don't care what I think but still care to write a long ass reply? ok lol.

You are not even half correct about me owning an M4 and stating my opinion about the M2 and that's exactly why I said go check my earlier posts before whining here. I did order an M2 in March 2016 and at the time I was well aware of those great reviews that were praising the M2 over M4. I cancelled my order last minute after seeing various dyno results and finding out the N55 in the M2 was already maxed out from the factory. And yes, I drove the M2 on and off track just like you did drive an M4. OG M2 is significantly underpowered and slow with not enough cooling capabilities for me, plain and simple. I both daily and track my M4 ZCP on a regular basis and there is no single occasion that I thought it had too much power neither on the street nor on the track. It's great if you are one of those people who think OG M2 got just enough power. However, not everyone has to think the same or agree with you. I think you should grow up and learn how not to get your feelings hurt easily when you see an opposite opinion. ... and no, I or someone else won't shut up or stop stating their opinions just because some people like yourself can't handle it.
You got the last word, you win have fun with your dick... you the man. I’m out!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #160
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
You are talking a few pounds not hundreds. Weight wont matter much.

If you're staying stock the S55 may not matter but for tuning its worlds better. A simple 5 minute flash will make it 500whp. Or just flash the M4 ZCP tune if you want OEM.
150 pounds or so is what it looks like but I guess we will have to weigh it when we can to know for sure.
I will be surprised if it's that much but I weighed my manual M4 and will weigh this.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 06:19 PM   #161
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
Ehh... I just bought my M2. Haven't tracked it yet but I figured if it was really that amazing and I really wanted the M2C down the line, I'll just buy one and transfer some parts over. Best thing about this is that hopefully i won't have to pay the ridiculous mark up these cars usually demand at the beginning.
Exactly. I don't see what's all of that M2/M2C fuss about and this need to rationalise choices to each other. There is gonna be M2CS next year and then the CSL, and then new M2 - who cares? Maybe I'm different as I'm not following brands but great car experiences instead. I don't care if it's VW, Ford, BMW or Porsche. Had the Mk. 7 GTI, now M2 in two years probably a GT4 or GT3. I don't care if the car makes this HP or that ring time, I care about how it makes me feel. If extracting 500HP out of M2C is your thing and makes your experience better then go for it.
Life is too short for opinions.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      06-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #162
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
I have not tried (yet) the M2C, but N55 has by far enough power for me, and I would not put too much expectations on M2 and M2C track capabilities, other smallest/less powefull/cheaper cars e.g. Lotus would be much better for this, finally, my personal taste is that M2 looks nicer (details) than M2C ... not mentioning the sound. Btw 80% of M2 owners would not change for M2C
Yea just like 99% of M3/M4 owners would not trade S55 for N55.
Yeah mon, and 99% of the M2 owners wouldn't want to drive a car that sounds like a bloody elephant farting.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #163
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Yeah mon, and 99% of the M2 owners wouldn't want to drive a car that sounds like a bloody elephant farting
Fair point and I don't deny it. Like I said I don't have any problem with accepting pros and cons of each platform. I stated it several times before that S55 sounds like shit compared to N55 and I still prefer it over N55 all day due to various other reasons that matter more to me than the sound.
Appreciate 2
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      06-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #164
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Yeah mon, and 99% of the M2 owners wouldn't want to drive a car that sounds like a bloody elephant farting
Fair point and I don't deny it. Like I said I don't have any problem with accepting pros and cons of each platform. I stated it several times before that S55 sounds like shit compared to N55 and I still prefer it over N55 all day due to various other reasons that matter more to me than the sound.
Wunderbar !
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #165
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
And she is finally home!
[img]
https://i.imgur.com/lJSYtbH.jpg[/img][img]https://i.imgur.com/ZP3pysk.jpg[/img][img]https://i.imgur.com/lJSYtbH.jpg[/img][img]https://i.imgur.com/ZP3pysk.jpg[/img][img]View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Congratulations !

You're going to love her !!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #166
Corry El
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I'm test driving a 2018 M2 tomorrow. Dealer has 4 in stock. If it confirms my good opinion of the car I might buy it. People on this forum suggest you can get $2.5-$4k off MSRP (this is in NJ), though Truecar says $3k would 'exceptional'. We'll see, all around.

But, I'd just comment that my issue with buying the M2 rather than waiting for M2C is mainly depreciation. *If* the M2C makes M2 depreciation a lot steeper, even if I start with a significant discount, that will be a bit of a downer. Not cause a financial crisis, just annoy me a bit.

On the car itself, on performance, probably a lot of people posting here know more than I do and some are serious drivers which I'm not. I had a really good time with my F30 328i (Dinan Stage 1) on a 6,500 mi road trip recently but even out in the wilds I didn't use even all its more modest power *that* often (hit the electronic limiter passing multiple people at once on two lane roads a couple of times, got the tires smoking slightly on Lost Trail Pass in ID ), and very hard to when close to home. I'm not going to be kicking myself because I have high 300's rather than low 400's hp (or even that I could tune the C more), I'm pretty sure.

I'm concerned about the ride on crappy NJ roads. I'm not looking for a pillowy ride, just want to make sure it's tolerable.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #167
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

I would go for the 2019 M2 Competition. Buying a 2018 M2 at this point would experience the one year depreciation hit immediately on the 2018 since the 2019 goes into production very shortly. I try to buy new cars at the beginning of the model year if possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #168
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
I would go for the 2019 M2 Competition. Buying a 2018 M2 at this point would experience the one year depreciation hit immediately on the 2018 since the 2019 goes into production very shortly. I try to buy new cars at the beginning of the model year if possible.
Yeah you're 100% right.

I ordered an individual 2016 M4 which got delayed and delayed. By the time I got it the 2017 M4s were already on the lot with upgraded nav etc. The value of that car ended up being terrible.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #169
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
I think this is good advice, but applies best to cars that are apples to apples. If the two model years are otherwise identical always go newer where you can.

In this case, the cars are very much alike, but have some huge differences. I'd recommend setting aside depreciation and choosing the one you like more. These two cars, 2018 vs. 2019, won't sound the same, they no longer look the same from the front, they have very different seats, different wheels, and the M2C even adds a couple of new colors and front parking sensors. On the one hand, you may prefer how the S55 sounds and feels, making it an easy call. On the other, what good is saving some depreciation if you don't like the new seats and want to pull them out of the car and set them on fire after every 2 hour road trip.

Take the M2 out for a spin, and then maybe spend some time in an M3/M4 as a sound & seating proxy for the M2C and see which presses your buttons.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #170
Corry El
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Got the M2 today. I'm not rejecting the point about depreciation bump down near the end of model year and version of the car. I'm just willing to live with it.

I drove the car, turned out indistinguishable to my butt in ride quality on the local roads compared to my F30 328i, satisfied my day to day livability concerns. I really like the color (grey) which won't AIUI be on the M2C. The M240i I drove at the BMW Performance Driving School was a blast and nobody AFAIK has ever said an M2 is less fun to drive than an M240i, so I doubt I'll be disappointed when I let loose in the M2 after break in. How the M2C would stack up in day to day livability I don't know.

I'm more confident than on most past purchases that I will keep liking this car. I think there's a good chance I'll like it for enough years that the next choice will be something even beyond the M2C. Overall it's a good thing that they keep improving cars and the one you get will almost always be bested eventually.
Appreciate 1
S1monQc223.50
      06-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #171
dozazz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corry El View Post
Got the M2 today. I'm not rejecting the point about depreciation bump down near the end of model year and version of the car. I'm just willing to live with it.

I drove the car, turned out indistinguishable to my butt in ride quality on the local roads compared to my F30 328i, satisfied my day to day livability concerns. I really like the color (grey) which won't AIUI be on the M2C. The M240i I drove at the BMW Performance Driving School was a blast and nobody AFAIK has ever said an M2 is less fun to drive than an M240i, so I doubt I'll be disappointed when I let loose in the M2 after break in. How the M2C would stack up in day to day livability I don't know.

I'm more confident than on most past purchases that I will keep liking this car. I think there's a good chance I'll like it for enough years that the next choice will be something even beyond the M2C. Overall it's a good thing that they keep improving cars and the one you get will almost always be bested eventually.
Congrats! Got mine two weeks ago to replace my S2000. I gotta say it's winning me over day by day.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #172
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Nissan Versa S  [0.00]
Quote:
Finally someone that understands this...

I have an n55 335i, and ya it sounds nice, but its performance ceiling is so much lower than the S55.

I routinely want more performance from my cars, and getting an n55 m2 would be just sticking myself with something ive already grown bored of.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #173
f4 plt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 competition

I was asked the same question by a friend at BMW NA when I traded my 2017 M2 with DCT for a 2018 with manual ( by the way i got a great deal) The M2 is a great car and that is coming from a ol;d guy that tracks a Porsche ( much modified) 911 and has had a GT 4 and several GT 3's. the bottom line is what do you want in a car. The M 2 is enjoyable to drive, has a great suspension . plenty of room for the daily things in life like golf clubs etc and actually has more power then you can actually (legally) use in daily life. Yes if you are going to make it a dedicated track car you might want more but you need to tune the suspension of the car to apply that added power. As it is, what a great vehicle at a good price point.

Now as to power. My track 911 ( a much modified 1983) puts down 215+ rear wheels hp at 2400 lbs with me in it and on a course without long straights I can make GT 3 owners scratch their heads. Its suspension and usable not ego horsepower that can be applied to the ground that makes the car go fast.

did i mention i am very happy with my 2018 M2 manual
Appreciate 7