BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > exhaust w/ catless vs catted DP dB levels?

02-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
exhaust w/ catless vs catted DP dB levels?

anyone measure the dB levels of their exhaust and DP combos? Some tracks have max sound limits - ie Laguna Seca has a limit of 92dB @ 50ft.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMagneticAL View Post
anyone measure the dB levels of their exhaust and DP combos? Some tracks have max sound limits - ie Laguna Seca has a limit of 92dB @ 50ft.
It's tough to compare other track sound limits to places like Laguna and Limerock. There are factory cars that don't even pass at those tracks.

dB readings are tough to judge because there is are so many variables into how the readings are calculated. But a good rule of thumb is that a catted downpipe is going to get you 80-85% of the same sound as a catless setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
It's tough to compare other track sound limits to places like Laguna and Limerock. There are factory cars that don't even pass at those tracks.

dB readings are tough to judge because there is are so many variables into how the readings are calculated. But a good rule of thumb is that a catted downpipe is going to get you 80-85% of the same sound as a catless setup.
hmmm not that big of a difference. catless is looking more and more enticing lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
hmmm not that big of a difference. catless is looking more and more enticing lol
Keep in mind that with a catless downpipe you need to tune for it. Yes, you can install O2 fakers to trick the ECU into thinking there is a cat there but that doesn't mean it is necessarily running healthy. I would never go catless without a tune, especially on a turbo car.

Also, catless will produce more exhaust smell and soot on the rear bumper. What our catted downpipe (Sport Cat) provides is a simple, reliable bolt-on install that produces great power and sound. All while be CEL-free, no tuning required, clean rear bumper, and little-to-no smell.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Be careful if Laguna Seca is your preferred track. There is zero wiggle room/flexibility there. They will Black Flag you immediately if your car is over the DB max (3 Black Flags and you are done for the day). Valvetronic exhaust would be ideal here. For reference, stock 458 and axle-back 991 gt3 are still way too loud.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
Keep in mind that with a catless downpipe you need to tune for it. Yes, you can install O2 fakers to trick the ECU into thinking there is a cat there but that doesn't mean it is necessarily running healthy. I would never go catless without a tune, especially on a turbo car.

Also, catless will produce more exhaust smell and soot on the rear bumper. What our catted downpipe (Sport Cat) provides is a simple, reliable bolt-on install that produces great power and sound. All while be CEL-free, no tuning required, clean rear bumper, and little-to-no smell.
was going to get it tuned anyways, so CEL isn't an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
Be careful if Laguna Seca is your preferred track. There is zero wiggle room/flexibility there. They will Black Flag you immediately if your car is over the DB max (3 Black Flags and you are done for the day). Valvetronic exhaust would be ideal here. For reference, stock 458 and axle-back 991 gt3 are still way too loud.
Laguna Seca is only up once in the schedule i think. Most of the track days will be down here in SoCal. i already have Akra which isn't that loud on stock DP. maybe getting the sound kit w/ the catless dp will need to be in the plans so i can keep the valves closed in sport mode
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
was going to get it tuned anyways, so CEL isn't an issue.
If the car has a stage 2 tune and fuel smell is not an issue. Go with tune + catless

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0