BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 ED in June - Tips for Italy, parking, etc.

02-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
laserbeam2
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT (June ED)

M2 ED in June - Tips for Italy, parking, etc.

Hey All. First post on this forum. I've been voraciously consuming threads on virtually every subject related to the F87 and European Delivery over the past few months and am amazed by the wealth of knowledge on this site along with the passion and enthusiasm. Anyway, as I start thinking of my own ED in June, I'm hoping to tap into that knowledge base to assist with my planning.

I've owned 3 BMWs including my current E90, but never an M car and have always purchased them used. This next purchase will feature three firsts - first new BMW, first M and first time doing ED. Suffice to say, I'm both stoked and anxious, but reading all of your posts is helping to dial-up the stoke and minimize the anxiousness.

I've read quite a few ED threads and notice that most visitors tend to stick to the Alps in and around Germany/Switzerland/Austria and not venture too far into the neighboring countries of France, Italy or Spain. One of the stipulations for convincing my wife to agree to this trip was that I take her to Florence...and this is where some of my anxiety sets in. I've been to Florence and am aware how unfriendly driving can be there and am currently thinking that my best option will be to find a private garage outside the city so as to completely avoid the ZTL.

So, anyone out there ever ventured down to Florence for an ED? Any driving, parking recommendations? Tips for driving in Italy in general?

Also, what are your thoughts on trakktape or some other temporary PPF while driving through Europe? I've read mixed things regarding whether rock chips and other blemishes will be fixed at port before being shipped stateside.

The full itinerary for our trip is shaping up to look like:

Munich
Fussen
Aqua Dome
Lake Como
Florence
Treviso
Ljubljana
Lake Bled
Salzburg
Back to Munich

Appreciate any tips for those stops!

BTW, car is LBB, 6MT, Exec, ACP

Last edited by laserbeam2; 02-20-2017 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 1
pmilani43.50
      02-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
ddnmkun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, G05

The power of search on bimmerpost forum:
http://www.bimmerpost.com/?s=european+delivery

Tons of happy members' dairies with very useful information! I am doing mine sometime later in fall and that will be my major source, hope it helps!
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Milano - Florence (Through Bologna) Highway, drive within speed limits.

Plenty of Tutors (Speed Camera that averages speed from point A to B over 1-5km segment) & Speed Camera's (Which in some points replace tutor systems)

In all honesty, 1/10 probably work but just be careful.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
laserbeam2
Rep

Thanks ddnmkun. What are you planning for your Fall ED?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
laserbeam2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lop00 View Post
Milano - Florence (Through Bologna) Highway, drive within speed limits.

Plenty of Tutors (Speed Camera that averages speed from point A to B over 1-5km segment) & Speed Camera's (Which in some points replace tutor systems)

In all honesty, 1/10 probably work but just be careful.
Great tip. Don't think I had heard of the "tutors", so good to know!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've parked in the central core of Florence a couple of blocks from the Accademia. What happened is my wife found a great apartment on airbnb with no parking. The host recommended Garage Michelangelo nearby. The cars are parked underground so when you arrive at the reception area you leave your car key and they take the car in an elevator. You might worry about leaving the key, but I saw Ferraris and Porches dropped off and delivered while I was there.
I made a reservation online and I think it asked for your plate number which I didn't have yet (I drove a rental, not ED). I followed up with a phone call and they told me to give it to them when I had it so they could report it to the authorities that control the ZTL. It was pricey (about 24-26 euros) not much worse than parking in many hotels in areas with limited parking.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #7
laserbeam2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space gray View Post
I've parked in the central core of Florence a couple of blocks from the Accademia. What happened is my wife found a great apartment on airbnb with no parking. The host recommended Garage Michelangelo nearby. The cars are parked underground so when you arrive at the reception area you leave your car key and they take the car in an elevator. You might worry about leaving the key, but I saw Ferraris and Porches dropped off and delivered while I was there.
I made a reservation online and I think it asked for your plate number which I didn't have yet (I drove a rental, not ED). I followed up with a phone call and they told me to give it to them when I had it so they could report it to the authorities that control the ZTL. It was pricey (about 24-26 euros) not much worse than parking in many hotels in areas with limited parking.
Awesome Space Gray, thanks for the pointer! I'll look into Garage Michaelangelo for our trip, sounds exactly like what I'm looking for and I'd be ok with 25/day for a secure, private garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 05:58 AM   #8
pmilani
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M3 CS (LRG)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
I'll try to give few tips on driving in Italy. Not sure if you know all the rules of circulation, so probably I'm stating a few obvious things.
Highways are not fun; you pay toll, they're pretty full of tutors (avg speed check), and lots of heavy truck traffic.
Use a highway only as the fastest way (short of jams due to accidents) to get from point A to B.
Overtake on the left on any road, it's prohibited to do it on the right.
Speed indicated in road signs is simply ridiculous and largely nonsense: while nobody respects those limits don't overtake every car you see, go with the flow and you shouldn't have trouble.
Italy has more than a few B roads, just make sure you have good visibility because sometimes local police has a bad habit of making fast cash with speed ticketing.
No right turn on any red light anywhere.
The M2 is considered a pretty exotic car, beware of where you park, and make sure you know the areas to avoid for cities you visit. The cities you mentioned above are generally quite safe, I'm not aware of any bad 'hood. I don't think driving in Florence is bad, opposed to Milan, Rome, Naples. Still I don't see why you would drive around in the city, just park it as you said, and walk around to enjoy the art, atmosphere and the food!

Have lot's of fun!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
laserbeam2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmilani View Post
I'll try to give few tips on driving in Italy. Not sure if you know all the rules of circulation, so probably I'm stating a few obvious things.
Highways are not fun; you pay toll, they're pretty full of tutors (avg speed check), and lots of heavy truck traffic.
Use a highway only as the fastest way (short of jams due to accidents) to get from point A to B.
Speed indicated in road signs is simply ridiculous and largely nonsense: while nobody respects those limits don't overtake every car you see, go with the flow and you shouldn't have trouble.
Italy has more than a few B roads, just make sure you have good visibility because sometimes local police has a bad habit of making fast cash with speed ticketing.
The M2 is considered a pretty exotic car, beware of where you park, and make sure you know the areas to avoid for cities you visit. The cities you mentioned above are generally quite safe, I'm not aware of any bad 'hood. I don't think driving in Florence is bad, opposed to Milan, Rome, Naples. Still I don't see why you would drive around in the city, just park it as you said, and walk around to enjoy the art, atmosphere and the food!

Have lot's of fun!
Great info, thanks pmilani

En route to Ljubljana from Florence I'm planning to stop in either Verona or Padova. Any opinion on which might be more enjoyable for a quick stop?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
pmilani
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M3 CS (LRG)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juvry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmilani View Post

Have lot's of fun!
Great info, thanks pmilani

En route to Ljubljana from Florence I'm planning to stop in either Verona or Padova. Any opinion on which might be more enjoyable for a quick stop?
I'd suggest Verona if you can see only 1 of those two cities. If you have time you have to drive a bit in the area of the Garda lake. You will love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 09:53 PM   #11
laserbeam2
Rep

Cool, thx. Appreciate the solid pointers.
Appreciate 0