BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Duster ...

01-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
Diver21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Duster ...

Hello all,

I've just finished washing and quick detailing my M2. Looks awesome ...

The problem is, by tomorrow, it will be covered with dust from sitting at work (just in Austin, TX, in a parking garage).

Does anyone use a duster on their cars on a regular basis? Recommendations, to one that is extremely picking about how their cars are touched?

Thx!

David
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Wouldn't recommend dusting a car as you'll just rub it around your paint. Maybe get an air compressor and blow some off?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I have used California dusters for 20 plus years. Never left a mark.
      01-30-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

The class is divided on the issue. BUT:
I have also used dusters, currently the MF ones from Griots. Love it. Here's some tips that work for me:
1. Keep the duster clean. Just take it off the handle, and wash with other MF clothes but don't add fabric softeners in wash.

2. I keep good coats of wax on car, but also add some regular sacrifice barriers of speed shine or similar products on regular basis -- thus the duster adds no damage to paint or waxes.

3. What the this process does for us -- in our warm climate-- is keep the day's dust/debris from sitting on hot wax, then settling INTO the wax as the softer wax cools over night. Letting is stay on wax once cooled, brings on that odd feel to surface, even if washed often. The cooled wax has trapped the fine dust. If you don't remove it when you can, then washing won't remove it, it layers up and surface needs claying a bit more often. The above process saves a lot of work and keeps surface slick.

4. Did I mention keeping the duster verrrrry clean?

It works.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Hey, I detail as my side hustle, came across this thread as I was letting wax dry. Here in Fl, it's pollen season. At about 9:15 AM, it's starts flowing out of the trees, it's clumpy, sticky and makes me have to nearly stop my detail. I started at dawn this AM, on my 2006 Z4M with Imola Red. Car is getting covered in pollen as I'm clay/compound/waxing the doors. Read this thread and remembered I have a long duster in the garage I'd never used. The name of it is Microtex Platinum. Bought it at either O'Reilly or Walmart. Pulled car into the garage, put on all the lights, went over the paint, glass etc. Worked perfect. The wand part is bendable and fits even in tight spots. The handle is very ergonomic, with an index finger indentation. Glad I read this, as I'm normally just in the Zpost, but looked at New Posts this AM.
      03-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
nopslide
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver21 View Post
Hello all,

I've just finished washing and quick detailing my M2. Looks awesome ...

The problem is, by tomorrow, it will be covered with dust from sitting at work (just in Austin, TX, in a parking garage).

Does anyone use a duster on their cars on a regular basis? Recommendations, to one that is extremely picking about how their cars are touched?

Thx!

David
Good luck man, I'm in Austin too and we just hit the season of yellow pollen dust everywhere. I just surrender for a couple months and wash every other weekend. Go fast to blow visible shit off.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #7
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Forgot pic

PicName:  20170326_111737.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  125.0 KB
      03-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #8
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

There is not a way to use a duster without doing some level of damage. If the car has pollen or a very light dust and you have a good sealant, wax or coating on the paint you probably won't do much damage. The folks that think they haven't been doing damage aren't at the level of OCD that they have special lights to look for swirls or other imperfections. If your at that level, like me then you don't want to use a duster. If that stuff isn't a big deal for you then go for it but only when the car is clean but lightly dusty, never when it has real dirt on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Exactly, mine was pollen that had only been on the car for less than an hour, and I just did a 4 step clay bar/compound/polish/wax. I applied zero pressure, this wand has long dangly micro fiber "fingers". So I could hover and go over the pollen spotted paint, without even touching the car. I'm super OCD when I comes to this, especially since I'm doing a multistep clarification of my paint, which has been somewhat abused in it's 11 year life before I bought it. It looks great, until I put my big high beam LED light on it, plus a big magnifying glass. Looks like spiders had a spider building contest on my hood and trunk lid. Little by little, it's getting better. I do everything by hand, but the DA is calling my name from the garage.

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 03-26-2017 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0