BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Top Gear Twin Test: M2 versus Audi TT RS

01-13-2017, 03:33 AM   #45
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

I think the interior in the M2 is as good as it needs to be. It's a non factor for me. I usually watch out the windows while driving anyway...

You are free to buy the Audi if you want. I do feel however that there's too much focus on 0-62 times these days. The M2 would probably be a lot closer to the TT-RS times if it had xDrive. I think it's outdated as a measurement now as it's all about traction. The difference in power is not huge between the cars.

I ventured into a Tesla forum and ALL they ever talked about was 0-62 times. So if you want a fast 0-62 buy a Tesla P100D. 2.7 seconds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
The TT RS looks awesome and not girly at all, sounds amazing and its interiors, where you will be most of the time, is several tiers ahead.

Also, it will be more expensive by 10-13k, not 20k.

Let's not forget the TT RS does 0-60 in 3.2 (normally 3.5, conservative official 3.7).

The M2 wins (probably) on the fun factor but I am leaning towards the Audi (its the only Audi that interests me), because I will probably be sharing it with my wife.
Appreciate 3
Robin_NL8716.00
koastal375.50
      01-13-2017, 03:34 AM   #46
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
That does feel good. But not quite as good as owning and driving a superior car
Regardless of how it makes you feel?

Do you even know what "Freude am Fahren" means and what it is?

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/12/04/to...vs-audi-tt-rs/

"Both cars are a riot to drive, with both having very different characteristics. The BMW M2 is the more traditionally rear-driven sports car while the TT RS is more about power, grip and technology. If Top Gear only had to choose one, they’d pick the BMW M2. It’s the more consistently fun car of the two, but that’s not taking much away from the TT RS. The latter car is great to drive, just not as fun as often as the BMW."

Audi's slogan is "Vorsprung durch technik" btw. Seems it fit these cars very well.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #47
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
I think the interior in the M2 is as good as it needs to be. It's a non factor for me. I usually watch out the windows while driving anyway...

You are free to buy the Audi if you want. I do feel however that there's too much focus on 0-62 times these days. The M2 would probably be a lot closer to the TT-RS times if it had xDrive. I think it's outdated as a measurement now as it's all about traction. The difference in power is not huge between the cars.

I ventured into a Tesla forum and ALL they ever talked about was 0-62 times. So if you want a fast 0-62 buy a Tesla P100D. 2.7 seconds?
All in all, it is about the experience. If such a huge thing as the interior is a non factor for you, get the M2. Look at the C2/3 Corvette while you're at it.

Let me explain, I had read ALL about the M2, but when I did the test drive, once I got inside, it DID NOT FEEL SPECIAL. In fact, my father's 435i had better quality/a more premium FEEL. I dislike the open pore CF, looks cheap and nowhere near as good as the M3 or Audi glossy CF trim, the seats are plain 2 series and that TT RS has amazing looking seats, trim, even the air vents look great and the steering wheel is straight from an R8...plus it is sooo much faster under real world conditions...

Bmw needs to step up their game, not only in design but look at what the big mess production has been...

Tesla is expensive, has no sound, does not look sporty...it is an orange.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 12:50 AM   #48
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Wow. You just don't get it
Appreciate 5
BruceM984.50
Robin_NL8716.00
No Boost4021.00
csbear1118.00
Seagull287.50
      01-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #49
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:
All in all, it is about the experience. If such a huge thing as the interior is a non factor for you, get the M2. Look at the C2/3 Corvette while you're at it.

Let me explain, I had read ALL about the M2, but when I did the test drive, once I got inside, it DID NOT FEEL SPECIAL. In fact, my father's 435i had better quality/a more premium FEEL. I dislike the open pore CF, looks cheap and nowhere near as good as the M3 or Audi glossy CF trim, the seats are plain 2 series and that TT RS has amazing looking seats, trim, even the air vents look great and the steering wheel is straight from an R8...plus it is sooo much faster under real world conditions...

Bmw needs to step up their game, not only in design but look at what the big mess production has been...

Tesla is expensive, has no sound, does not look sporty...it is an orange.
I think that an M2 would be a very bad choice for you. Conversely, a 435 would be a really bad choice for me.
2023 M4CX - RIP - WGI Turn 9
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #50
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

What makes a car "special" is first and foremost driving dynamics. That is the whole point of M. At least it was for the first few generations. Lately, for some, it appears that "special" has come to mean leather choices, how the seats and air vents "look," and a bunch of other stuff, inside and out, that has nothing to do with how the car drives. BMW has fed into that trend, too, recently....until the M2.

BMW could have larded the M2 up with all that, but I am damn glad they did not. It focused its money on dynamics. Is the cockpit plain? Sure, at least in comparison to some other M models. Does that bug me? Not at all. It has a couple nice touches, but it's not a wow experience. But it's nice enough not to be distracting to the way the car "feels" as it is being driven--as opposed to sitting still--which is supposed to be the focus and mission of M.

The recent corporate talk out of BMW is that they are going to re-focus on driving dynamics, and the M2 does exactly that. Bravo.
Appreciate 3
No Boost4021.00
SoCalRob281.00
c63er876.00
      01-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #51
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Let's just say I want a wow experience, since, in Puerto Rico, cars cost 40% more. (M2 is almost 80k).

I have been looking for a perfect all rounder, and as you have said the M2 is pretty uncompromising. It was very loud, fast and felt incredible when moving around, simply great dynamics. But when you spend close to 100,000 bucks on the car that you will share with your wife, it better give me a wow experience.

If I was completely single, I would most probably get the manual M2. I am sure that the TT RS is the better daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #52
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
If I was completely single, I would most probably get the manual M2. I am sure that the TT RS is the better daily driver.I am sure that the TT RS is the better daily driver.
I sympathize. If I had a wife, and I needed her to sign off on which car I bought, I might very well end up with a TT RS too. I'd say you've made the wisest decision for your particular situation. -scr
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #53
Halvie
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3 / 2016 Golf R

Quote:
What makes a car "special" is first and foremost driving dynamics. That is the whole point of M. At least it was for the first few generations. Lately, for some, it appears that "special" has come to mean leather choices, how the seats and air vents "look," and a bunch of other stuff, inside and out, that has nothing to do with how the car drives. BMW has fed into that trend, too, recently....until the M2.

BMW could have larded the M2 up with all that, but I am damn glad they did not. It focused its money on dynamics. Is the cockpit plain? Sure, at least in comparison to some other M models. Does that bug me? Not at all. It has a couple nice touches, but it's not a wow experience. But it's nice enough not to be distracting to the way the car "feels" as it is being driven--as opposed to sitting still--which is supposed to be the focus and mission of M.

The recent corporate talk out of BMW is that they are going to re-focus on driving dynamics, and the M2 does exactly that. Bravo.
Could have larded up.... Yeah, I'm just so thankful BMW made the M2 a feather weight. No extra lard at all on this car. The M2 is heavier than the larded up AWD TTRS, right...?

M2 looks fantastic. M2 has amazing driving dynamics. It is heavy as fuck for what it is. It has a super disappointing engine. It has a borderline shit interior.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 07:36 PM   #54
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvie View Post
Could have larded up.... Yeah, I'm just so thankful BMW made the M2 a feather weight. No extra lard at all on this car. The M2 is heavier than the larded up AWD TTRS, right...?

M2 looks fantastic. M2 has amazing driving dynamics. It is heavy as fuck for what it is. It has a super disappointing engine. It has a borderline shit interior.
What I said was "BMW could have larded the M2 up with all that...." If you read what came before those words, you will realize I wasn't talking about weight. It was a comment about a whole bunch of expensive options that jack the price up. The M2 is a great driver. I've driven it, and I was in no way disappointed by its performance, engine or otherwise. Seems strange how you think a car with "amazing driving dynamics" can have a "super disappointing engine." Not sure how that would work, since an engine is necessarily a significant part of any car's driving dynamics. Besides, I am going to tweak that engine exactly to my liking, anyway.

I don't give a rip about its supposedly inferior interior, either. This focus on trim just baffles me. M is not about trim.

Last edited by BruceM; 01-14-2017 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #55
Halvie
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3 / 2016 Golf R

Quote:
What I said was "BMW could have larded the M2 up with all that...." If you read what came before those words, you will realize I wasn't talking about weight. It was a comment about a whole bunch of expensive options that jack the price up. The M2 is a great driver. I've driven it, and I was in no way disappointed by its performance, engine or otherwise. Seems strange how you think a car with "amazing driving dynamics" can have a "super disappointing engine." Not sure how that would work, since an engine is necessarily a significant part of any car's driving dynamics. Besides, I am going to tweak that engine exactly to my liking, anyway.

I don't give a rip about its supposedly inferior interior, either. This focus on trim just baffles me. M is not about trim.
I haven't gotten a chance to drive one yet. Just going by the reviews. And I guess...it would be really shocking if it didn't drive extremely well.

Have a 2016 R right now. I'll have it paid off in a couple of months and am between doing the Iroz IMS650 kit on the R or an M2/RS3.

The sticking point for me on the M2 is the engine. And to a lesser extend the weak aftermarket compared to the R/RS3. The size of the M2 is just about perfect and I love how aggressive the arches are. Manual is also a big plus.

IDK, I just think being "glad" that the M2 doesn't have an interior that rivals the TTRS is a bit silly. Reminds me of the MKVI GTI/R guys talking down how much nicer the MK7 interior is. And I think it would be multiplied many times compared to that (going from a M235i vs TTS). The new TT interior is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #56
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob View Post
I sympathize. If I had a wife, and I needed her to sign off on which car I bought, I might very well end up with a TT RS too. I'd say you've made the wisest decision for your particular situation. -scr
Thanks...now let's hope my brand new app does well and sells soon so I can purchase that brand new carbon fiber specced 90,000+ TT RS in Puerto Rico

Btw, I will be visiting the dealer on Tuesday, they have a TT S with red interiors in stock, will post my impressions vs the M2, M235i and 435i.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #57
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
I haven't gotten a chance to drive one yet. Just going by the reviews. And I guess...it would be really shocking if it didn't drive extremely well.

Have a 2016 R right now. I'll have it paid off in a couple of months and am between doing the Iroz IMS650 kit on the R or an M2/RS3.

The sticking point for me on the M2 is the engine. And to a lesser extend the weak aftermarket compared to the R/RS3. The size of the M2 is just about perfect and I love how aggressive the arches are. Manual is also a big plus.

IDK, I just think being "glad" that the M2 doesn't have an interior that rivals the TTRS is a bit silly. Reminds me of the MKVI GTI/R guys talking down how much nicer the MK7 interior is. And I think it would be multiplied many times compared to that (going from a M235i vs TTS). The new TT interior is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.
I don't dispute that it is amazing. I'll completely take your word for it. But all I am saying is that what brings a smile to my face when I drive a sports car is not the interior of a car. Just doesn't matter that much. I can recognize a great interior, for sure. It's just that I don't really care much about having one in a sports car. And I sure don't want to pay for one in such a car. I want to pay for great dynamics. If I have those, then a boring interior, as long as it is not aggressively cheap and butt-ugly, and is sufficiently functional, is just fine.

My Jag XKR has an elegant interior. Very refined, British feel. And that is great for a GT car. But that car, first, came off the lot at over $100 grand, and second, although it is powerful and fun in its own way, it is not a street/track sports car. For one of those, I want dynamics way more than I want elegant leather, real wood trim, etc.

That's why I don't get the focus of some on trim in sports cars. That's not the point of them, at least in my view.
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2017, 09:02 PM   #58
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

However, the ONLY thing I do not like from the TTRS is the beetle wheel flares...
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2017, 03:15 AM   #59
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:

In what way is the engine "super disappointing"? I think it sounds good and provides linear power all the way to the red line.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/28/bm...ven-better-m2/
http://wardsauto.com/test-drives/bmw...gine-new-again

Yes, the S55 produces more power but it also makes the M3/M4 a bit trickier to drive on the limit and the power supply isn't as smooth and predictable. Yes, I know the macho mentality that many actually WANTS and values a car that's trying to kill you more than one you can trust... But the truth is that 99% of us are better off in a more predictable car.

As for the power itself. 365bhp is plenty on the public roads. You can always want more but for what it is I don't think it needs more power. If you buy a car for 0-62 times you really need a four wheel drive these days. But if you enjoy spirited driving on back roads the M2 is what you want.

Finally, I don't really get what's wrong with the interior. I think it's got a sporty feel to it. Too much leather and fancy stuff makes it more of a luxury car from my perspective. It's not that I don't appreciate nice cabins but again, for the type of car it is I think it is just fine.
Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      01-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #60
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

That TT RS has a crazy 0-60 time though.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #61
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
In what way is the engine "super disappointing"? I think it sounds good and provides linear power all the way to the red line.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/28/bm...ven-better-m2/
http://wardsauto.com/test-drives/bmw...gine-new-again

Yes, the S55 produces more power but it also makes the M3/M4 a bit trickier to drive on the limit and the power supply isn't as smooth and predictable. Yes, I know the macho mentality that many actually WANTS and values a car that's trying to kill you more than one you can trust... But the truth is that 99% of us are better off in a more predictable car.

As for the power itself. 365bhp is plenty on the public roads. You can always want more but for what it is I don't think it needs more power. If you buy a car for 0-62 times you really need a four wheel drive these days. But if you enjoy spirited driving on back roads the M2 is what you want.

Finally, I don't really get what's wrong with the interior. I think it's got a sporty feel to it. Too much leather and fancy stuff makes it more of a luxury car from my perspective. It's not that I don't appreciate nice cabins but again, for the type of car it is I think it is just fine.

This guy gets it.....
Appreciate 1
Verdi250.00
      01-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #62
M3ZING
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 C7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris
That TT RS has a crazy 0-60 time though.
100-200 is 8.4 seconds which is m4/c63s timing
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #63
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
However, the ONLY thing I do not like from the TTRS is the beetle wheel flares...
lol.. I like my beetle!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #64
wigit
Rep
Drives: M2 on order

TT-RS is an expensive mqb chassis car with haldex and a audibly interesting engine

People I know who have driven one just say its fast, which it undoubtedly is

Our two Mk7 Golf Rs bore me sh!tless compared to the M2, swift progress is easy but just does not make you feel it is that involved, start shoving more power at it and it shows the haldex flaws

I even prefer the M2 in the wet as it just gives you so much feedback

The haldex mqb are quite blunt tools and DCT is so much better than S ironic/DSG having lived with both

TTRS prices are excessive for what it is, I'd take the TTS which you can get deals on making them £15k cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #65
M3ZING
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 C7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigit
TT-RS is an expensive mqb chassis car with haldex and a audibly interesting engine

People I know who have driven one just say its fast, which it undoubtedly is

Our two Mk7 Golf Rs bore me sh!tless compared to the M2, swift progress is easy but just does not make you feel it is that involved, start shoving more power at it and it shows the haldex flaws

I even prefer the M2 in the wet as it just gives you so much feedback

The haldex mqb are quite blunt tools and DCT is so much better than S ironic/DSG having lived with both

TTRS prices are excessive for what it is, I'd take the TTS which you can get deals on making them £15k cheaper.
DSG/ S tronic are as fast or on par with porsches PDK in specific models.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #66
wigit
Rep
Drives: M2 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZING View Post
DSG/ S tronic are as fast or on par with porsches PDK in specific models.
I do not think i criticised the speed of change
Appreciate 0